Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Alt Bike Culture
Reload this Page >

The Manta 5 - World's First Hydrofoil Bike

Notices
Alt Bike Culture Chopped, dropped, stretched, lifted, and otherwise cut up and put back together. The art and science of choppers, cruisers, lowriders and the vast world of mutant bicycles.

Old 01-23-20, 03:40 PM
Batstar

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 175 Times in 79 Posts

https://manta5.com/

Leave it to the Kiwis!

In addition to cycling, I spend part of my free time during the summer kayaking and my interest was piqued when I came across this. Personally, I would rather spend my hard-earned cash in other ways but nevertheless it’s certainly a thought-provoking invention. Perhaps it might be more in line as a side rental business for an ocean or lake resort.

I thought that it might be more appropriate to post this thread in this sub rather than raise the hackles of the forum mods even though this thing has pedals, a handle bar and the manufacturer refers to it as a bike.

Old 01-24-20, 05:56 AM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 941 Times in 504 Posts
I would love to try that! Very cool.
Old 01-30-20, 07:05 AM
WIshMater

Bikes: Cannondale M300

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Crazy device but $7,500 geez
Old 01-30-20, 09:46 PM
Jeff Wills
Insane Bicycle Mechanic

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 788 Post(s)
Liked 688 Times in 367 Posts
Maybe the first commercial human-powered hydrofoil, but the Flying Fish was setting records a third of a century ago: https://flyingfishhydrofoil.com/ and that site shows a human-powered hydrofoil from the 1950's.

Comcast nuked my web page. It will return soon..
Old 02-04-20, 01:58 PM
StuckinPark

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Looks like a fine way to spend a summer day!
Old 02-04-20, 03:02 PM
Chinghis

Bikes: Historical: Schwinn Speedster; Schwinn Collegiate; 1981 Ross Gran Tour; 1981 Dawes Atlantis; 1991 Specialized Rockhopper. Current: 1987 Ritchey Ultra; 1987 Centurion Ironman Dave Scott Master; 1992 Specialized Stumpjumper FS

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Liked 178 Times in 111 Posts
Hm. Could I use it to go fishing? I might be able to rationalize getting one, in that case.

Edit: Ah, it has an e-motor for assist. I was wondering about how much power you'd need to put out to get it to hydroplane. Kind of explains the cost.
Old 02-05-20, 11:53 AM
zebreaux

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Started to asked about a battery assist. My skinny legs would definitely need it! Looks like good fun... add some rods holders... Thanks for the post.
Old 11-27-20, 10:40 PM
rickpaulos

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 143 Times in 84 Posts
Anytime claims "First" "fastest" "Highest", etc, you can bet they are ignorant of prior events or items. The patent offices are full of "new" ideas that were invented long ago. "Every thing old is new again". There must be 10,000 patents for golf club grips.

Flying Fish Hydrofoil

"On July 20, 1987 Steve Hegg rode Flying Fish 2 over the 2000 meter Long Beach Marine Stadium Olympic rowing course to a new world-record time of 5 min, 48.53 seconds (11.15 knots) recorded by officials of the IHPVA. This record still stands as of 2013."
Old 11-27-20, 10:44 PM
Jeff Wills
Insane Bicycle Mechanic

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 788 Post(s)
Liked 688 Times in 367 Posts
Originally Posted by rickpaulos
Anytime claims "First" "fastest" "Highest", etc, you can bet they are ignorant of prior events or items. The patent offices are full of "new" ideas that were invented long ago. "Every thing old is new again". There must be 10,000 patents for golf club grips.

Flying Fish Hydrofoil

"On July 20, 1987 Steve Hegg rode Flying Fish 2 over the 2000 meter Long Beach Marine Stadium Olympic rowing course to a new world-record time of 5 min, 48.53 seconds (11.15 knots) recorded by officials of the IHPVA. This record still stands as of 2013."
You're 11 months late. I noted the same thing when this thread was posted in January. Happy Thanksgiving.

Comcast nuked my web page. It will return soon..
Old 11-27-20, 10:44 PM
rickpaulos

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 143 Times in 84 Posts
Originally Posted by Chinghis
Hm. Could I use it to go fishing? I might be able to rationalize getting one, in that case.

Edit: Ah, it has an e-motor for assist. I was wondering about how much power you'd need to put out to get it to hydroplane. Kind of explains the cost.
Hobie makes and sells a fishermans version of their pedal kayaks. Faster than your typical canoe but not good in shallow water less that about 18 inches deep.
Old 08-26-21, 05:51 PM
gis_guru

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 5 Posts
Never really spent money wisely but that is a pretty hefty price tag. Look like a ton of fun though.