Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fitting Your Bike
Reload this Page >

Tried an online bike fit...thoughts?

Search
Notices
Fitting Your Bike Are you confused about how you should fit a bike to your particular body dimensions? Have you been reading, found the terms Merxx or French Fit, and don’t know what you need? Every style of riding is different- in how you fit the bike to you, and the sizing of the bike itself. It’s more than just measuring your height, reach and inseam. With the help of Bike Fitting, you’ll be able to find the right fit for your frame size, style of riding, and your particular dimensions. Here ya’ go…..the location for everything fit related.

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-21, 05:23 PM
stampz

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 6 Posts

So, after getting some niggling back pain recently, I decided I wanted to try and get a better fit on my bikes. I came across myvelofit online, found some positives reviews so thought I'd give it a go. It's got me lower on my saddle than I think I ever have been (which might have been causing the pain in the first place), but the positon feels good on the trainer. How does my positon look? Please ignore the podge...it's def just because its Christmas 😉

Old 12-12-21, 06:46 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3661 Post(s)
Liked 5,408 Times in 2,747 Posts
You should wear a shirt.
Old 12-12-21, 07:14 PM
headwind15
Bikeable

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 73 Posts
I do not see anything alarming here. It could a muscle imbalance of some sort. I have had hip/ back muscle imbalances myself, that came out as a discomfort (on the bike).
Likes For headwind15:
Old 12-13-21, 08:46 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6191 Post(s)
Liked 4,806 Times in 3,315 Posts
If it feels decent to you then I don't know why we should offer opinions to start making you doubt that it feels good.

If you were to be having a pain or something, then it might be worth me offering an opinion.
Old 12-13-21, 10:12 AM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3886 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
Looks to me like you could be a little more aero - lower bars, increase reach. And roll your pelvis forward a bit to flatten your back and decrease back/neck angle. That's how it looks to me, plus the numbers.
Old 12-13-21, 05:33 PM
tempocyclist

Bikes: 2002 Trek 5200 (US POSTAL), 2020 Canyon Aeroad SL

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 313 Post(s)
Liked 680 Times in 327 Posts
Looks good, but as above you could get more aero (if you wanted to). I think from memory they do a "regular" and a "race" fit style? Possibly a bit more bend in the arms?

I've done a MyVeloFit and found it interesting. Not much change to my current position, but good to know nonetheless.

Old 12-13-21, 07:01 PM
cyclezen
OM boy

Bikes: a bunch

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 510 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 435 Posts
I'm not really clear on some of what you stated: "It's got me lower on my saddle than I think I ever have been (which might have been causing the pain in the first place), but the positon feels good on the trainer"
1. "got you 'lower' on the saddle ? does that mean you lowered the saddle? or something else (like forward lean of the torso?
2."than I think I ever have been (which might have been causing the pain in the first place)" - did you make changes and THEN have the niggling back pain ? or was there pain before you made the changes ? how large were and what were the changes and did you make them in one step, or incremental steps?
You didn't state what you'd like to adjust/change/achieve that your current position/posture doesn;t address.

Overall it seems like a general riding posture.
Invariably we all will vary quite a bit while riding on road (as opposed to trainer device). If those pics were me, the only thing I would actively think about, while riding on real roadway, is to have a bit more elbow bend (and in doing so, let the shoulders drop to help the bend).
The back pain can arise from any number of varying issues. Certainly if you made significant changes which put you outside what the body was accustomed to.
Ride On
Yuri
Old 12-14-21, 09:17 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

If you happen to find out that your palms get a little numb after an hour and a half or two, then that's probably partly due to having your arms and elbows too straight for that upright position.

Two ways you can deal with that. More reach to stretch you out. Or, get use to keeping a lot more bend in your elbows. I use to have my reach stretched out when I rode way oversize bikes for my size. However on a bike size that more properly fits me, I find that a large bend in the elbow works better and allows more temporary options for your position on the bike while you are riding. Though getting use to that big bend in the elbows has been a challenge for me since I'm so use to that stretched out position.
Old 12-14-21, 09:52 AM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3886 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
If you happen to find out that your palms get a little numb after an hour and a half or two, then that's probably partly due to having your arms and elbows too straight for that upright position.

Two ways you can deal with that. More reach to stretch you out. Or, get use to keeping a lot more bend in your elbows. I use to have my reach stretched out when I rode way oversize bikes for my size. However on a bike size that more properly fits me, I find that a large bend in the elbow works better and allows more temporary options for your position on the bike while you are riding. Though getting use to that big bend in the elbows has been a challenge for me since I'm so use to that stretched out position.
There is a difference between stretched out and bent elbows. Ideally, one wants about a 90° angle between upper arm and torso. The idea is that then the upper arm is just a strut, no muscle force at the shoulder necessary. The further one deviates from that, the more shoulder area muscle is required to hold that angle. The odd thing is thing about that 90° is that as one then bends the elbows to get lower, that angle doesn't change much. Anyway, that's why the center of the range of shoulder angle shown by MyVelofit is about 90°
Old 12-14-21, 01:27 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

I can't quite agree with the upper arm being 90° to the torso thing. I know it's well accepted, but that leaves out the lower arm angle to the upper arm. The more straight the two are in relation to each other the more forces from bumps and jolts will be concentrated on the shoulder and the hands. Maybe some to be felt by the elbow too.

So to me, some might still have the reach for their bike wrong, but think it correct because they only look at that one criteria of 90° upper arm to torso.
Old 12-24-21, 11:00 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4393 Post(s)
Liked 4,837 Times in 2,991 Posts
Fit looks pretty good to me for general road riding. Sure you could get a little more aero within your range of flexibility, but this looks like a good baseline close to the middle of your range (I presume you did the flexibility assessment at the start to set your ranges?)
Saddle height looks good too. How much higher did you start off?

I also use this app. I think it's pretty conservative on the road bike fit (even when you choose performance), but that suits me as an endurance rider. The fit it came up with for me was very close to my favoured endurance setup, so no alarm bells. I think the AI joint tracking software is pretty solid, so it's just a case of whether or not you agree with the suggested angle ranges. I think they are pretty sensible and you can work within the range for more or less aggressive fits.
Old 12-24-21, 11:11 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4393 Post(s)
Liked 4,837 Times in 2,991 Posts
Here's my fit (note that I haven't done the full flexibility assessment, so ranges could be a little off)
Pro tip - black T-shirt to hide the Xmas podge!

Also worth noting that the fit is taken on the hoods, so the drops automatically give a more aggressive position with lower back angle and closed hips. Can also bend at the elbow while on the hoods, which is what I tend to do when riding into a headwind etc.
Attached Images

Last edited by PeteHski; 12-24-21 at 11:19 AM.