Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Cinq plug5 USB charger

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Cinq plug5 USB charger

Old 12-21-21, 05:41 AM
LostVagabond

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Cinq plug5 USB charger

Hi all !
I was wondering if anybody uses this USB charger. I recently bought a second hand Cube travel and I'm setting it up for touring this summer. I want to buy this charger for my bike but I have no idea how to install it in the stem. Has anybody had any experience installing one of these devices on their touring rig?
any help would be greatly appreicated

all the best

Matt
Old 12-21-21, 05:41 AM
LostVagabond

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I should also mention that my bike has a Dynamo hub
Old 12-21-21, 02:05 PM
Pratt

Quoted: 410 Post(s)
Liked 488 Times in 291 Posts
I have one on one of my bikes, but it came with it. It is nice in that the lights stay on at stop signs. It will even charge rechargeable AA batteries, even in hilly New England, meaning often at low speeds. My phone liked the higher speeds and would complain when I wen too slowly. I found that intolerable. At higher speeds, it charged the phone just fine.
Likes For Pratt:
Old 12-21-21, 09:04 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4252 Post(s)
Liked 3,866 Times in 2,579 Posts
I have used the Sinewave Reactor and it is pretty neat but the Cinq I think overall is better especially for the modern devices because that little power bank will help to charge so instead of directly charging the phone with no backup it has the power bank to keep it going.

It was not super difficult to install really just took some time to fish wires properly through the star fangled nut but there might be better solutions for this and from Cinq. The biggest problem we had was cleaning up someone else's wiring but we figured it out and got it working just fine and bing bang boom I have functional lights and charging. My only wish is for a switch like on the old Specialized AWOLs but I don't really want to mess with that on a bike I don't ride as often as I should.
Old 12-21-21, 10:16 PM
Rick

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 598 Post(s)
Liked 374 Times in 261 Posts
Google it there is an install manual on the web.
Old 12-21-21, 11:04 PM
Germany_chris
I’m a little Surly

Bikes: Two Cross Checks, a Karate Monkey, a Disc Trucker, and a VO Randonneur

Quoted: 698 Post(s)
Liked 1,292 Times in 646 Posts
I have one on two of my bikes both use B&M lights and SON dynamo, I'm able to charge my phone and use the lights at the same time which is all I really want.
Old 12-22-21, 12:05 PM
gauvins

Bikes: Custom built LHT & Troll

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 832 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 100 Posts
Originally Posted by LostVagabond
Has anybody had any experience installing one of these devices on their touring rig?
I have a somewhat similar charger (forumslader). Easy to install -- you need an expandable steerer plug that will allow you to insert the charger in the steerer tube and connect the wires to the USB cap that takes the place of a standard steerer cap.

You may want to protect the USB connector from the elements. Forumslader provides a USB protector cover. You may want to look at this review to convince yourself (I'd suggest that the connector should be facing backwards in order to reduce weather exposure; I have a spare connector, just in case)
Likes For gauvins:
Old 12-22-21, 02:10 PM
LostVagabond

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by veganbikes
I have used the Sinewave Reactor and it is pretty neat but the Cinq I think overall is better especially for the modern devices because that little power bank will help to charge so instead of directly charging the phone with no backup it has the power bank to keep it going.

It was not super difficult to install really just took some time to fish wires properly through the star fangled nut but there might be better solutions for this and from Cinq. The biggest problem we had was cleaning up someone else's wiring but we figured it out and got it working just fine and bing bang boom I have functional lights and charging. My only wish is for a switch like on the old Specialized AWOLs but I don't really want to mess with that on a bike I don't ride as often as I should.
Great! This is seeming much more feasible to me now
Likes For LostVagabond:
Old 12-22-21, 02:11 PM
LostVagabond

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Rick
Google it there is an install manual on the web.
Thanks Rick. I’m going to have a good read of it
Old 12-22-21, 02:12 PM
LostVagabond

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Germany_chris
I have one on two of my bikes both use B&M lights and SON dynamo, I'm able to charge my phone and use the lights at the same time which is all I really want.
Hi Chris. How satisfied have you been with the device so far? Do you know if the charger can be connected to any type of Dynamo ?

Matt
Old 12-22-21, 04:05 PM
Germany_chris
I’m a little Surly

Bikes: Two Cross Checks, a Karate Monkey, a Disc Trucker, and a VO Randonneur

Quoted: 698 Post(s)
Liked 1,292 Times in 646 Posts
Hi Chris. How satisfied have you been with the device so far? Do you know if the charger can be connected to any type of Dynamo ?

Matt
Yes I'm satisfied with the device, I really don't know if it can be powered by any dynamo since I have a SON dynamo on all my bikes though I'd assume that any will work.
Old 12-23-21, 09:26 PM
Rick

Quoted: 598 Post(s)
Liked 374 Times in 261 Posts
Yes I'm satisfied with the device, I really don't know if it can be powered by any dynamo since I have a SON dynamo on all my bikes though I'd assume that any will work.
I believe most dynamos can power it. The Son starts putting power out at lower speeds than most and has lower drag than most. I had the Sinewave Reactor on mine with the Son hub and was happy with it until I saw the Klite. So the Reactor is going on my Sons bicycle. I will post pictures when I have time to finish the setup. I took a long trip in the car to look at some homes. Was gone several weeks. The day after we got back I dropped the wife off at the hospital. It has been eight days and they are going to move her out of the ICU tomorrow.
Old 12-25-21, 12:43 PM
LostVagabond

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Can I even do it with my set up ?
Old 12-25-21, 01:27 PM
gauvins

Bikes: Custom built LHT & Troll

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 832 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 100 Posts
Can I even do it with my set up ?
Yes yes. Your steerer has the usual star nut. You'll have to remove it in order to install your charger. Easiest is to use a drill with a bit a little larger than the hole.

Be sure to have an expandable nut - looks like the latest version of the Cinq comes with it.
Old 12-25-21, 02:05 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18320 Post(s)
Liked 4,489 Times in 3,338 Posts
You might also look up the Busch + Müller USB-Werk. I think there are two models.

Not as neat of a stem mount, but it would fit well into a handlebar bag.
Old 12-25-21, 02:08 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18320 Post(s)
Liked 4,489 Times in 3,338 Posts
By the way, I'm not sure where you're shopping, but I have had good luck buying German stuff from:

https://www.bike-discount.de/