Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Recumbent
Reload this Page >

Replacement for Sram x7 long cage rear mech

Search
Notices
Recumbent What IS that thing?! Recumbents may be odd looking, but they have many advantages over a "wedgie" bicycle. Discuss the in's and out's recumbent lifestyle in the recumbent forum.

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-21, 02:44 PM
Skankingbiker

Bikes: AllCity Nature Boy, On-one Pompino) , Fuji Roubaix road bike, Niner EMD, Voodoo Hoodoo MTB, Surly Pugsley/Krampug, Performer Midracer Custom

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts

My chain jammed and destroyed the cage on my rear mech on my catrike expedition. it is a x7 10-speed long cage. Its for a 3x10 system with barcon shifters. I need to find an equivalent or better replacement. Seems to be a fools errand. Any suggestions? I don't want to go down to the x5 because the x7 has a clutch I believe and there is a ton of slack because it is a trike.
Old 12-24-21, 05:04 PM
cat0020
Ride more, eat less

Bikes: Too many but never enough.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 713 Post(s)
Liked 733 Times in 450 Posts
I may have one in my basement, post a picture of your original rear derailleur please.
Old 12-24-21, 05:56 PM
Skankingbiker

Bikes: AllCity Nature Boy, On-one Pompino) , Fuji Roubaix road bike, Niner EMD, Voodoo Hoodoo MTB, Surly Pugsley/Krampug, Performer Midracer Custom

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by cat0020
I may have one in my basement, post a picture of your original rear derailleur please.

Old 12-24-21, 06:06 PM
cat0020
Ride more, eat less

Need to see the other side of the rear mech to determine I have the correct one, don't need to see the damage side..
Old 12-25-21, 09:52 AM
VegasTriker

Bikes: Catrike 700, Greenspeed GTO trike, , Linear LWB recumbent, Haluzak Horizon SWB recumbent, Balance 450 MTB, Cannondale SM800 Beast of the East

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 523 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 179 Posts
I looks like SRAM discontinued the X7 rear derailleur and even used ones are hard to find. If you look at the Catrike website, the drivetrain is still similar to the 3X10 drivetrain that came on my 2013 CT700 with the exception being the RD is now the "SRAM GX 10 speed". You are limited to choices by the fact that the bar end shifters work with SRAM and not Shimano due to the different pull ratios. I switched to Shimano in 2013 because I had so much trouble keeping the X7 adjusted. I used a system recommended by the Sheldon Brown website for wide range gearing but it meant replacing the bar end shifters with Shimano bar ends. It was expensive but very satisfying to me. A quick look shows the GX10 to run around $66 from several online sellers.
Old 12-26-21, 09:58 AM
Skankingbiker

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Need to see the other side of the rear mech to determine I have the correct one, don't need to see the damage side..
Ok. Will send tonight..travelling for holidays
Old 12-26-21, 10:00 AM
Skankingbiker

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by VegasTriker
I looks like SRAM discontinued the X7 rear derailleur and even used ones are hard to find. If you look at the Catrike website, the drivetrain is still similar to the 3X10 drivetrain that came on my 2013 CT700 with the exception being the RD is now the "SRAM GX 10 speed". You are limited to choices by the fact that the bar end shifters work with SRAM and not Shimano due to the different pull ratios. I switched to Shimano in 2013 because I had so much trouble keeping the X7 adjusted. I used a system recommended by the Sheldon Brown website for wide range gearing but it meant replacing the bar end shifters with Shimano bar ends. It was expensive but very satisfying to me. A quick look shows the GX10 to run around $66 from several online sellers.
Thanks. Gx10 appears out of stock everywhere
Old 12-26-21, 05:36 PM
Skankingbiker

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts

Old 12-27-21, 11:13 AM
cat0020
Ride more, eat less

Here's the one I have, brand new, never installed.

Old 12-27-21, 11:28 AM
Skankingbiker

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Here's the one I have, brand new, never installed.

interested. PM sent