Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Square Curbs

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Square Curbs

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-21, 02:02 PM
jamawani 
Hooked on Touring

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 143 Times in 93 Posts
Square Curbs

Just wondering what you think of square curbs?

I think they are death traps for cyclists -
and cannot understand why some cities continue to use them on higher-speed arterials.
They also cause major damage to cars and can cause them to flip or go airborne.

They do serve a purpose in business districts and residential areas with heavy sidewalk traffic.
Those areas have low speeds and, hopefully, alternative residential streets for cycling.

But there are times when you have to get on an arterial road with higher speeds.
Often these are the 5-lane with a turning lane in the middle. 45 mph - really 55+.
If they have shoulders, they usually don't have curbs.
But when there is no shouder and square curb - it is scary.

Last edited by jamawani; 11-23-21 at 04:54 PM.
Likes For jamawani:
Old 11-23-21, 02:44 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
I don't ride on curbs, square or rounded. It's never occurred to me to even be relevant to bicycling which type is used. Square ones are apparently safer for pedestrians than rounded ones.

Last edited by livedarklions; 11-24-21 at 04:05 AM.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 11-23-21, 09:29 PM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,676 Times in 827 Posts
Square curbs help channel water better and discourage drivers from parking with two wheels on the sidewalk, and help keep errant motorized vehicles from jumping up onto a sidewalk.

Rounded curbs are more friendly to strollers, wheeled mobility devices (like wheelchairs and walkers) and yes, bicycles.

I commuted 28 years on streets and I never thought about curb type until your post. Looking back, rounded curbs have allowed me to easily glide up onto a sidewalk to escape menacing traffic situations. And while square cut curbs don't allow for gliding up, I have made quick stops and lifted my bike up to a sidewalk, either while straddling the frame, or even hopping off. It just came naturally.

But your post also reminded me of two incidents involving the same 10 feet of rounded curb.

The one time I taco'd a wheel on a curb it was this rounded curb. It was around 1995 and I was turning left onto a street when a car came flying out of an alley on the left swung wide into the wrong lane and was about to hit me, so I aborted my turn and rode straight for the other side. I lifted my front wheel, but the rear smacked the rounded curb at over 20 mph and crunched. It was a 26" wheel with a 2-inch street tire.

I made that left turn almost every commute for the next 25 years and every time I thought about that near miss and busting my rear wheel.

And then there was one more incident involving that same curb within 10 feet of where I hit it.

About 5 years ago I was riding home approaching that same left turn and my phone beeped to alert me I had an e-mail. I pulled up against the curb and stopped, but not on the street, and not up above the curb, but halfway up the curb. Before I could put my left foot down, the bike slid down the curb and I fell over to the right. Lucky for me the sidewalk had ended up near where I had banged my wheel 10 years before, and I merely fell over onto soft dirt.

I was going to say that I wouldn't have fallen had the curb been square cut since I wouldn;t have been able to stop halfway up, but knowing me, I probably would have found a way to fall just the same.
Old 11-24-21, 01:40 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6178 Post(s)
Liked 4,795 Times in 3,307 Posts
I'd be more worried about other things. Just like cars, I see the curb, I know it's there, but unlike cars, I know what the curb is about to do.

I see the point about square vs rounded... I think. But there is more important stuff to gripe about.
Old 11-26-21, 09:42 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2741 Post(s)
Liked 3,388 Times in 2,051 Posts
Originally Posted by jamawani
They also cause major damage to cars and can cause them to flip or go airborne.
If you're hitting the curb you're doing something wrong
Likes For dedhed:
Old 01-13-22, 08:20 AM
hpr

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you for raising this question! I feel the same way about square curbs. They are a hazard to anyone using a bike or scooter or mobility device, and prevent people from taking refuge off the street. I've heard my city argue that they're safer for pedestrians because they keep cars off the sidewalk, but I routinely see cars parked with two wheels on the sidewalk over a square curb, so clearly they're not a major barrier for an out of control vehicle. I haven't found any research supporting the argument that they're better for people walking. Anyone know of such research?

Just last week we had a lot of snow and ice, and while picking my kid up from school I watched a kid using a wheelchair use the bus lane (which was a sheet of ice), because the crosswalk ramp was iced over. The kid had one chance to access the sidewalk on the whole block because the rest has a square curb. It was awful.
Old 01-13-22, 09:29 AM
Flip Flop Rider

Bikes: 2010 Fuji Absolute 3.0 1994 Trek 850

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 555 Times in 322 Posts
Originally Posted by dedhed
If you're hitting the curb you're doing something wrong
I can attest to this
Old 01-13-22, 01:49 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1533 Post(s)
Liked 1,527 Times in 915 Posts
Originally Posted by hpr
Thank you for raising this question! I feel the same way about square curbs. They are a hazard to anyone using a bike or scooter or mobility device, and prevent people from taking refuge off the street. I've heard my city argue that they're safer for pedestrians because they keep cars off the sidewalk, but I routinely see cars parked with two wheels on the sidewalk over a square curb, so clearly they're not a major barrier for an out of control vehicle. I haven't found any research supporting the argument that they're better for people walking. Anyone know of such research?

Just last week we had a lot of snow and ice, and while picking my kid up from school I watched a kid using a wheelchair use the bus lane (which was a sheet of ice), because the crosswalk ramp was iced over. The kid had one chance to access the sidewalk on the whole block because the rest has a square curb. It was awful.
I hope you got out of your car and helped him onto the sidewalk.
Old 01-14-22, 03:44 PM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
I agree with the OP, square curbs should be outlawed.
Old 01-15-22, 07:33 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2741 Post(s)
Liked 3,388 Times in 2,051 Posts
Curbs aren't going anywhere as long as there are cars, rain & snow, and flexible pavement. Roadway design is about many factors and bicycles are are a minor factor in design.

https://www.chescoplanning.org/munic...RoadDesign.cfm
Old 01-15-22, 08:18 AM
Clyde1820

Bikes: 1996 Trek 970 ZX Single Track 2x11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 614 Post(s)
Liked 564 Times in 428 Posts
Just wondering what you think of square curbs?
On balance, I'd think rounded curbs would be more sensible.

I've long thought there should be rounded curbs instead of the squared-off ones.

People grossly out of control with vehicles will still jump squared curbs, so that alone isn't much of a barrier.

Rounded curbs are a bit safer for bicycles, wheelchairs and other small-wheeled carts and vehicles. For the irresponsible, it'd probably prompt a bit more jay-walking instead of heading to the crosswalk, I suppose.

Can't see how it'd be much different for average amounts of water in the gutters. There ought to be plenty more grates along gutters, anyway, for getting water from the gutter into the sewers. At high levels of flow, would rounded hold less? Not if they're built high enough to hold roughly the equivalent of an average smaller squared variant, I'd think.

And in terms of simple aesthetics, I think the rounded ones look a little better, if "looking good" can be said of curbs.
Old 01-15-22, 11:05 AM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1606 Post(s)
Liked 2,570 Times in 1,218 Posts
Square curbs keep the garbage cans from falling over...I think they should pad the sidewalks in case I ever need to bail.. Really, I see your point, but it's just one of the many hazards on the road that you learn to avoid.
Old 01-15-22, 01:57 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3943 Post(s)
Liked 7,286 Times in 2,942 Posts
But there are times when you have to get on an arterial road with higher speeds.
Often these are the 5-lane with a turning lane in the middle. 45 mph - really 55+.
If they have shoulders, they usually don't have curbs.
But when there is no shouder and square curb - it is scary.
It sounds like the problem is the lack of a shoulder, not the shape of the curb.
Old 01-22-22, 10:12 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Square curbs and sewer grates running in the same direction as the road are known safety hazards, and should be eliminated.
Old 01-22-22, 01:01 PM
AdkMtnMonster
Airplanes, bikes, beer.

Bikes: Road bikes, mountain bikes, a cx bike, a gravel bike…

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 398 Post(s)
Liked 788 Times in 339 Posts
I strongly urge everyone to lobby hard for Roman Ogee curbs. Have some class, people!
Likes For AdkMtnMonster:
Old 01-26-22, 08:42 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4335 Post(s)
Liked 3,958 Times in 2,646 Posts
I have never really considered curb shape, I don't ride on the sidewalk much (very rare occasions) and I try not to ride so close to the curb when I am on the road. I think square curbs make the most sense for most things except maybe in a park or something that doesn't have motor vehicles. Places without cars should probably do round curbs and places with cars should do square curbs so cars don't run up the sidewalk and hit pedestrians.

Now sewer grates running the same direction as the road those i would outlaw for sure. Heading down a hill at around 35mph and almost hitting one could have been quite dangerous luckily I was able to turn away at the last second. If you have to do that I would at least make them reflective and painted a bright color however it doesn't hurt to put some cross bars so you don't get caught up in them.