Go Back  Bike Forums > The Lounge > Books, Movies, Music & Entertainment
Reload this Page >

Rate the last movie you watched

Notices
Books, Movies, Music & Entertainment Do we really need a description for this forum?

Rate the last movie you watched

Old 12-31-21, 05:33 AM
Welshboy
PBP Ancien (2007)

Bikes: B-Twin Triban100 (for commuting), Cannondale CAAD12, Cannondale CAAD12 Team CNCPT, CAADX, Giant Contend 2, Giant TCR, Verenti Technique

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 120 Times in 77 Posts

'Judy' (2019) starring Renée Zellweger.

Zellweger is superb in this partial biopic that mainly covers the last few months of Judy Garland's life with flashbacks to her time on the set of 'The Wizard of Oz' which the film shows to be a very miserable time for her. I liked it but accept that it was, perhaps, a bit too London-centric. 8/10.
Old 12-31-21, 07:39 AM
Juan Foote
LBKA (formerly punkncat)

Bikes: Spec Roubaix SL4, GT Traffic 1.0

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1582 Post(s)
Liked 481 Times in 342 Posts
Being the Ricardos- I was/am not sure what to expect of this movie. The first few moments of it is a trial or somesuch where they are accusing Lucy of being a Pinko Commie.

I told the wife that I couldn't sit through something that might inform me that the wonderful and amazing person that chose to bring Star Trek to the screen was a Communist just didn't sit well with me. I preferred to stick my head in the sand and stop watching.

I hear it's good, but uh uh.
Old 12-31-21, 07:58 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 4479 Post(s)
Liked 2,075 Times in 1,423 Posts
Don't Look Up with Leonardo Decaprio & Jennifer Lawrence. Brilliant!
Likes For rumrunn6:
Old 01-03-22, 07:44 AM
Bob Ross
your god hates me

Bikes: 2018 Cannondale CAADX 105 SE, 2016 Richard Sachs, 2010 Carl Strong, 2006 Cannondale Synapse

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 717 Post(s)
Liked 403 Times in 231 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6 View Post
Don't Look Up with Leonardo Decaprio & Jennifer Lawrence. Brilliant!
I'm looking forward to seeing it, but I'm surprised at how polarizing the online reviews have been.
Old 01-03-22, 09:44 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 4479 Post(s)
Liked 2,075 Times in 1,423 Posts
Originally Posted by Bob Ross View Post
I'm looking forward to seeing it, but I'm surprised at how polarizing the online reviews have been.
ha! you won't be after watching it!
Likes For rumrunn6:
Old 01-03-22, 03:43 PM
himespau 

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 3125 Post(s)
Liked 1,801 Times in 1,050 Posts
It does really seem to fall along a pretty clear division.
Old 01-04-22, 11:35 AM
jack pot 
Fxxxxr

Bikes: wabi classic (stolen & recovered)

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 2581 Post(s)
Liked 1,065 Times in 803 Posts
Bobby Z: a Don Winslow pulp rewritten for the movies .... 31/2 out of 5

Old 01-04-22, 12:24 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2864 Post(s)
Liked 2,840 Times in 1,307 Posts
Originally Posted by tyrion View Post
Don't Look Up - 7

Over the top whacky but lots of little gems in there. Lots of stars having fun.
Good description.
Old 01-04-22, 02:16 PM
colorider
smorenivore

Bikes: '06 Novara Divano, '96 Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 1,370 Times in 541 Posts
Don't Look Up - 8 very good
Old 01-05-22, 12:24 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 882 Times in 586 Posts
Stormy Weather, 1943 musical with an all star all black cast, (Lena Horne, Bill Robinson, Cab Calloway, Fats Waller and more.) 10 out of 10 for singing and especially dancing by the Nicholas Brother in the finale. Individuals can downgrade film for themselves for portraying 1943 social values by watching through 2022 cultural filters.
From 54 minutes until the end is a display of knockout song and dance routines. Watch it!
"Geechy Joe" – Cab Calloway & his Orchestra

"Stormy Weather" – Lena Horne

"Stormy Weather Ballet" – danced by Katherine Dunham and her Dance Troupe

"There's No Two Ways About Love" (Reprise) – Cab Calloway, Bill Robinson, and Lena Horne

"My, My Ain't That Somethin'" – Bill Robinson

"Jumpin' Jive" – Cab Calloway & his Orchestra, danced by the Nicholas Brothers

"My, My Ain't That Somethin'" (reprise) – Lena Horne, Bill Robinson, Cab Calloway

The print on the Criterion Channel is excellent, though and inferior quality version of the entire movie can be viewed on YouTube
Likes For I-Like-To-Bike:
Old 01-08-22, 12:35 PM
Welshboy
PBP Ancien (2007)

Bikes: B-Twin Triban100 (for commuting), Cannondale CAAD12, Cannondale CAAD12 Team CNCPT, CAADX, Giant Contend 2, Giant TCR, Verenti Technique

'The Mule' (2018) starring Clint Eastwood, Bradley Cooper and Dianne Wiest.

Produced and directed by Clint Eastwood and inspired by the true story of Leo Sharp who became an octogenarian drug mule for the Sinaloa Cartel. Eastwood plays Earl Stone an old-fashioned horticulturist who has neglected his family but has ended up out of business due to the internet. He is offered a 'driving job' by a Cartel member and innocently takes it on to help fund his grand-daughter's wedding and soon becomes a 'mule' transporting cocaine through Illinois for a Mexican drug cartel. His age and impeccable driving record make him an unlikely target for the Police and the DEA and he earns more and more by taking increasingly larger quantities across the border. The internal politics of the Cartel place him in danger at exactly the same time as the DEA are planning to take down the Cartel at as high a level as possible. This is no 'Gran Torino' and it seriously lacks action but I found it quite watchable. 7/10.
Likes For Welshboy:
Old 01-09-22, 11:38 AM
Juan Foote
LBKA (formerly punkncat)

Bikes: Spec Roubaix SL4, GT Traffic 1.0

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1582 Post(s)
Liked 481 Times in 342 Posts
Closed for Storm- 2021 Documentary about Six Flags New Orleans and the damage taken from the storm. It is an interesting story about how it was created, what was going on up to the untimely storm (given Six Flags financial position at the time), and possible future plans that have been stalled for at least a decade. It's a neat watch if hard to rate.

The Secret Life of the Cruise- 2018 This made for TV documentary takes a look at all the behind the scenes planning and logistics that make a 7 day cruise possible. It was quite fascinating to me even if the wife fell asleep minutes in. 8/10 considering the material. I like this kind of stuff, so...

Mystery of the Nile- 2005 This documentary is about a team of scientists and support group were the "first" documented group to traverse the Nile from source to sea. I love adventure films like this on a similar level as reading CGOAB and such adventures as the guy going around the world on the scooter...Where the subject matter and a good portion of the cinematography were really good, the host himself is just this side of boring and good portions of the narrative gave the impression that he may have fame (a show/doc/etc.) that others watching would be familiar with him and thus make better sense of the delivery. I liked it, but wouldn't go so far as to rate above the 5-6 level.
Likes For Juan Foote:
Old 01-10-22, 02:24 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

The Last Picture Show. 10/10 with extra points for the making of documentaries on the DVD featuring interviews with the late director Peter Bogdanovich and members of the cast who were just beginning a movie career and later became big stars after this movie.
Old 01-12-22, 03:48 PM
Clyde1820

Bikes: 1996 Trek 970 ZX

Quoted: 525 Post(s)
Liked 390 Times in 298 Posts
The Eagle Has Landed (1976) -- starring Michael Caine, Donald Sutherland, Robert Duvall, Donald Pleasence.

10/10. It has aged superlatively well, IMO ... not that '76 was that long ago. Humorous, dramatic, great script. Hard to find a contemporary film that's so well-crafted.
Old 01-13-22, 09:00 AM
Jeff Neese

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked 202 Times in 132 Posts
Nomadland. 2 out of 10.

I cannot believe this won Best Picture. There literally was no story, just a series of vignettes and interactions with various characters, mostly emotionless conversations that we are supposed to think are deep and insightful but are just contrived. Or else it's the cinematic shots that are supposed to be artistic. The music was supposed to tell us how we should feel about each scene. It was all just tripe. I like a good "artsy" or independent film as well as anyone, but this was a disappointment.
Old 01-13-22, 09:47 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Originally Posted by Clyde1820 View Post
The Eagle Has Landed (1976) -- starring Michael Caine, Donald Sutherland, Robert Duvall, Donald Pleasence.

10/10. It has aged superlatively well, IMO ... not that '76 was that long ago. Humorous, dramatic, great script. Hard to find a contemporary film that's so well-crafted.
Eye of the Needle (1981), also starring Donald Sutherland, is a contemporary WW2 film which you may enjoy as much as The Eagle Has Landed; I did.
Old 01-13-22, 10:03 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Originally Posted by Jeff Neese View Post
Nomadland. 2 out of 10.

I cannot believe this won Best Picture.
Academy Award Wins or nominations are no guarantee of quality or anything else worthwhile for viewing. Several movies from the last few decades that received high critical praise and won awards come to mind that I found absolutely terrible and wouldn't get a 2 on my rating scale are:
Birdman (2014)
Manchester by the Sea (2016)
La La Land (2016)
No Country for Old Men (2007)

There no are doubt many others but I mercifully did not see them.
Likes For I-Like-To-Bike:
Old 01-13-22, 10:31 AM
Clyde1820

Bikes: 1996 Trek 970 ZX

Quoted: 525 Post(s)
Liked 390 Times in 298 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike View Post
Eye of the Needle (1981), also starring Donald Sutherland, is a contemporary WW2 film which you may enjoy as much as The Eagle Has Landed; I did.
Have seen that one, as well, many times. It's the same genre, and the same basic plot, but it's got a different feel, pacing. Good acting, but not quite the same tension maintained, not as much in the area of character contrasts. Good film, though. 8/10 or 9/10, for me.

Gallipoli (1981, by Peter Weir). 9/10.
Das Boot (1981, by Wolfgang Petersen). Also exceptional. 9/10.
Inchon (1981, with Laurence Olivier). 7.5/10.
Taps (1981, with George C. Scott and Timothy Hutton). 7/10.

Nineteen eighty-one was a good year, for this genre.
Old 01-13-22, 03:09 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Originally Posted by Clyde1820 View Post
Have seen that one, as well, many times. It's the same genre, and the same basic plot, but it's got a different feel, pacing. Good acting, but not quite the same tension maintained, not as much in the area of character contrasts. Good film, though. 8/10 or 9/10, for me.

Gallipoli (1981, by Peter Weir). 9/10.
Das Boot (1981, by Wolfgang Petersen). Also exceptional. 9/10.
Inchon (1981, with Laurence Olivier). 7.5/10.
Taps (1981, with George C. Scott and Timothy Hutton). 7/10.

Nineteen eighty-one was a good year, for this genre.
Another WW2 movie you may enjoy is Soldier of Orange, 1977 Dutch movie, directed and co-written by Paul Verhoeven, starring Rutger Hauer and Jeroen Krabbé. The film is set around the German occupation of the Netherlands during World War II, and shows how individual students have different roles in the war.

I have had a copy of it in VCR format since the 80's and was happy to get a better copy in DVD format recently.

Old 01-15-22, 02:13 PM
CycloneZ

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Spiderman NWH - Not a big Marvel fan myself, but I could feel the energy & emotions in the cinema
Old 01-16-22, 06:19 AM
Welshboy
PBP Ancien (2007)

'No Time To Die' (2021) starring Daniel Craig, Léa Seydoux, Rami Malek, Ralph Fiennes and Naomie Harris.

For me, this was a very disappointing end to Daniel Craig's time as James Bond and whilst I've never really been a fan of Daniel Craig as 007 he is actually quite good in this - it's the whole film that sucks. 'On Her Majesty's Secret Service' (the one with George Lazenby) was on TV last week and, from beginning to end, it's a far better film. This one has a bloated beginning, a poor unmemorable baddie (Malek), a pathetic nod to PC by introducing a female 007, 'Call of Duty' style shoot outs and it really cries out for a John Barry film score instead of the generic score of this turkey. 5/10.

The closing credits claim that 'James Bond will return' but in what format? At least that statement rules out a 'Jane Bond' but I'd recommend setting it, like the original books, in the Cold War era of the 50's and 60's and stripping out the gadgets like the indestructible Aston-Martin DB5 and invisible Aston-Martin Vanquish.
Likes For Welshboy:
Old 01-18-22, 01:38 PM
Bob Ross
your god hates me

Bikes: 2018 Cannondale CAADX 105 SE, 2016 Richard Sachs, 2010 Carl Strong, 2006 Cannondale Synapse

Quoted: 717 Post(s)
Liked 403 Times in 231 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike View Post
Several movies from the last few decades that received high critical praise and won awards come to mind that I found absolutely terrible and wouldn't get a 2 on my rating scale are:
...[snip]...
No Country for Old Men (2007)
Oh, I completely get why No Country For Old Men won an Academy Award. And I don't think it didn't deserve one. But the things that shine about that movie, that actually make it Oscar-worthy, are so completely different from the qualifications of most of the previous award winners, that it practically requires a paradigm shift to view it as a contender. And it seems ludicrous to presume that the Academy members all underwent said paradigm shift during the voting in '07, so I chalk it up to a complete fluke: A good movie that is good in ways that simply don't align with most viewers' spectrum of Good-To-Bad and only coincidentally was recognized as "good" by the awards givers.
Old 01-19-22, 01:43 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Originally Posted by Bob Ross View Post
Oh, I completely get why No Country For Old Men won an Academy Award. And I don't think it didn't deserve one. But the things that shine about that movie, that actually make it Oscar-worthy, are so completely different from the qualifications of most of the previous award winners, that it practically requires a paradigm shift to view it as a contender. And it seems ludicrous to presume that the Academy members all underwent said paradigm shift during the voting in '07, so I chalk it up to a complete fluke: A good movie that is good in ways that simply don't align with most viewers' spectrum of Good-To-Bad and only coincidentally was recognized as "good" by the awards givers.
IMO, the "qualifications" of No Country For Old Men did not include interesting plot, character development or motivation for their actions, intelligent dialog, quality acting or any other quality related to enjoyment in watching a movie; YMMV.

Only backhanded compliment I can offer for it is that Manchester By The Sea was even worse.
Old 01-19-22, 10:04 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Magic Trip (2011) documentary of Ken Kesey and the Merry Pransters on their drug fueled bus trip from California to NYC and return in 1964, documented in the book, by Tom Wolf. Stream for free on Kanopy. 5/10 for video quality, 10/10 for content. It is surprising how clean cut the Pranksters appeared during the trip. The bulk of the beads, feathers and outlandish costumes started appearing later during the "Acid Test" period that followed this trip.
Old 01-22-22, 09:40 AM
EJ123
djentleman

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 43 Posts
Eternals...it was so bad, which is a shame for a marvel movie.
Likes For EJ123:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.