Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Winter Cycling
Reload this Page >

extreme cold danger cycling

Notices
Winter Cycling Don't let snow and ice discourage you this winter. The key element to year-round cycling is proper attire! Check out this winter cycling forum to chat with other ice bike fanatics.

extreme cold danger cycling

Old 01-13-22, 09:51 AM
  #26  
prj71
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: North Central Wisconsin
Posts: 3,474
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2022 Post(s)
Liked 621 Times in 408 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6 View Post
good rider! how did it go?
Went well.

Went out riding again last night. Was 27 degrees.
prj71 is offline  
Likes For prj71:
Old 01-13-22, 10:23 AM
  #27  
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling
 
Carbonfiberboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Everett, WA
Posts: 18,250

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 108 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3292 Post(s)
Liked 1,230 Times in 908 Posts
Odd that it hasn't occurred to anyone to go tubeless. Yes, you might need different rims. Even when I was a kid, car tires were tubeless.

Which is another story. I drove to a party on a particularly cold winter day, giving a ride to some other people. So we partied and then got back in the car to go home. Now then, when a car has been parked for a while in real cold, the bottom of the tire is flat, right? Except that it's frozen flat. The rubber has to warm up by driving on the tires, thump, thump, thump. Which becomes syncopated after going around a corner. Anyway, on this night the tires were frozen so hard that the first thump broke the bead on one of them. So this is back in HS. Rather like the frostbite scars on native men, boys did not wear hats nor boots. Required wear was bare head and ears and loafers. We're Alaskans, right? I did have a car coat and thin leather gloves. So I left the engine running for my riders and changed the tire. Luckily only one tire popped its bead. We went on our way. That's how it is when it's cold.

Or just don't do it. There's a guy I know in Kotzebue who has written about the enormous PITA it is to ride in extreme cold. Basically, your wheels don't go around very well. Your chain doesn't go around very well. Your freewheel is sticky. You have to sit on the saddle and hold on to the bars, neither of which is much fun. I think he used a blowtorch to warm up his hubs.

On my bikes, I always carry a spare tire. I hate that process of trying to find the cause, so I simply replace tube and tire and worry about it later. That's so much quicker and more sure-fire.

Alaska stories. Every Alaskan has 'em. Can't live there without acquiring a few. Then there was the time when I was about 8, playing outside in the summer and a wolf pack entered our clearing . . .

One of the tricks of living the the cold is learning how to exhale so that your outbreath warms your nose. Otherwise it'll freeze.
__________________
Results matter
Carbonfiberboy is online now  
Likes For Carbonfiberboy:
Old 01-13-22, 12:04 PM
  #28  
rumrunn6
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
rumrunn6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: 25 miles northwest of Boston
Posts: 27,153

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4474 Post(s)
Liked 2,068 Times in 1,420 Posts
Originally Posted by prj71 View Post
Went well. Went out riding again last night. Was 27 degrees.
nice. after my snowy ride last week at 29 degrees I don't mind saying the high 20s is not bad at all. different than my memories of the teens, which I haven't ridden in years
rumrunn6 is offline  
Likes For rumrunn6:
Old 01-13-22, 12:14 PM
  #29  
rumrunn6
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
rumrunn6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: 25 miles northwest of Boston
Posts: 27,153

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4474 Post(s)
Liked 2,068 Times in 1,420 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy View Post
Alaska stories. Every Alaskan has 'em. Can't live there without acquiring a few. Then there was the time when I was about 8, playing outside in the summer and a wolf pack entered our clearing . . .
yikes! learning a lot today! I suspect it would be impossible to defend yourself from a pack of wolves. reminds me of the final scenes of Liam Neeso's movie "The Grey"!
rumrunn6 is offline  
Old 01-13-22, 02:10 PM
  #30  
Hypno Toad
meh
 
Hypno Toad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Hopkins, MN
Posts: 4,555

Bikes: 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 17 Breezer Radar Pro; 15 Surly Pugsley; 13 Felt Z85; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1046 Post(s)
Liked 857 Times in 450 Posts
I well known in the local community for my ability to ride in the cold (and I'm nothing compared with some of the folks I know). I'll ride in -30F/-35C (air temp), and I've done 50 and 100 mile rides in the rain/snow/slush with temps around freezing.

I can ride all day in the cold. But, like many have posted, getting stopped in these conditions can be a problem. I've had a mechanical a few times in the sub-zero temps, and walked 3-4 miles to get back to the house; and I've been lucky to have Frau Toad drive to find me and get me home. For these winter rides, I'm taking tools, tubes, pump, and chemical hand warmers to make sure my fingers can do the work in the cold.

FWIW, I've been planning/training for the Arrowhead 135 for a while, being able to solve a mechanical in the dark and coldest temps you can imagine is a critical skill for this event (like survival-critical) ... and I think I'll finally have the gear I need for next year. My biggest key to success is a bulletproof bike that I know I can trust, and my Pugsley has been that bike. The only times it's failed me was that one winter when I thought I could make my Marge Lite rims tubeless, they are not tubeless compatible, but I've never had flat with tubes.

Here's some shameless self-promotion:

This is from the 2017 Almanzo 100 with temps just above freezing and rain/sleet all day. This course has three support stops on course, I blew straight through the first one, the second (mile 66) is a camp site with a shelter and a fire ... we stopped long enough to use a toilet and refill bottles, many riders were ending their day here with the warmth and shelter. My little group kept our break short and got back on the road. We stopped again, very briefly for the third stop ... I was cooling off too quickly without shelter at this stop to stay more than a minute. The Toad is on the right of the pic with the drop-bar fatbike.



The 2018 Filthy 50 (AKA The Filthiest 50) snow/slush with temps below freezing. I didn't stop once on this ride, and I was feeling the cold ... hard to get the muscles to fire. This ride had many riders turn around after 5 miles to ride back to the start, they just couldn't warm up. Yes, my right hand is bare, the glove is in my jacket, I rode without my glove for many miles to make it easier to get food.




On January 2020, Minneapolis had a polar vortex with air temps nearly -30F (this is not windchill). I did a 90 minute training ride and saw commuters out riding and bumped into a buddy. I made a point to keep it close to home on well populated routes incase anything went wrong.

Hypno Toad is offline  
Likes For Hypno Toad:
Old 01-13-22, 02:12 PM
  #31  
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling
 
Carbonfiberboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Everett, WA
Posts: 18,250

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 108 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3292 Post(s)
Liked 1,230 Times in 908 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6 View Post
yikes! learning a lot today! I suspect it would be impossible to defend yourself from a pack of wolves. reminds me of the final scenes of Liam Neeso's movie "The Grey"!
Correct. The rest of the story is that they looked neither to the left nor to the right, but passed through the clearing nose to tail and completely ignored my brother and I, who held completely still, not that that did any good. They were on a mission and disappeared into the trees on the other side. "Fear is the little death." Although the French would disagree.
__________________
Results matter
Carbonfiberboy is online now  
Likes For Carbonfiberboy:
Old 01-13-22, 03:04 PM
  #32  
rumrunn6
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
rumrunn6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: 25 miles northwest of Boston
Posts: 27,153

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4474 Post(s)
Liked 2,068 Times in 1,420 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy View Post
Correct. The rest of the story is that they looked neither to the left nor to the right, but passed through the clearing nose to tail and completely ignored my brother and I, who held completely still, not that that did any good. They were on a mission and disappeared into the trees on the other side. "Fear is the little death." Although the French would disagree.
I was in the woods of NH, early one morning, exploring in my 4x4 while my family slept in a tent some distance away. I was hoping to find a moose to photo just after sunrise. found myself near a river but on an animal trail/path in tall grass. I heard something & turned around, it was daylight now. what I heard was a large coyote? it was walking with a limp. when it entered my path, behind me, from a cross trail, it turned it's head & looked at me. stopped for a second, I was motionless, petrified really, didn't even lift my camera, we were both motionless for a second. then it turned & walked away with a limp on a rear leg, like animals limp when they are missing a foot or leg, but I might be exaggerating. the grass was too tall for me to see it's legs, just it's shoulders. I guess it figured I wasn't a threat. biggest coyote I had ever seen. shortly after, I found my way back to my truck after getting a photo of a duck
rumrunn6 is offline  
Likes For rumrunn6:
Old 01-13-22, 03:21 PM
  #33  
downtube42
Senior Member
 
downtube42's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 3,151

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Volae Team, Focus Mares AL, Nimbus MUni, Trek Roscoe 6.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked 1,334 Times in 680 Posts
I was following another cyclist at dusk, maybe 1/4 mile back, on the Natchez Trace Parkway. After the other rider passed a point, a coyote trotted out, paused in the road, and sniffed the air. Then it saw or heard me coming and casually trotted back off the road.

Generally I'm not concerned about coyotes, but it did make we wonder what's going on behind me.
downtube42 is offline  
Likes For downtube42:
Old 01-13-22, 03:25 PM
  #34  
downtube42
Senior Member
 
downtube42's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 3,151

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Volae Team, Focus Mares AL, Nimbus MUni, Trek Roscoe 6.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked 1,334 Times in 680 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy View Post
Odd that it hasn't occurred to anyone to go tubeless. Yes, you might need different rims. Even when I was a kid, car tires were tubeless.

Which is another story. I drove to a party on a particularly cold winter day, giving a ride to some other people. So we partied and then got back in the car to go home. Now then, when a car has been parked for a while in real cold, the bottom of the tire is flat, right? Except that it's frozen flat. The rubber has to warm up by driving on the tires, thump, thump, thump. Which becomes syncopated after going around a corner. Anyway, on this night the tires were frozen so hard that the first thump broke the bead on one of them. So this is back in HS. Rather like the frostbite scars on native men, boys did not wear hats nor boots. Required wear was bare head and ears and loafers. We're Alaskans, right? I did have a car coat and thin leather gloves. So I left the engine running for my riders and changed the tire. Luckily only one tire popped its bead. We went on our way. That's how it is when it's cold.

Or just don't do it. There's a guy I know in Kotzebue who has written about the enormous PITA it is to ride in extreme cold. Basically, your wheels don't go around very well. Your chain doesn't go around very well. Your freewheel is sticky. You have to sit on the saddle and hold on to the bars, neither of which is much fun. I think he used a blowtorch to warm up his hubs.

On my bikes, I always carry a spare tire. I hate that process of trying to find the cause, so I simply replace tube and tire and worry about it later. That's so much quicker and more sure-fire.

Alaska stories. Every Alaskan has 'em. Can't live there without acquiring a few. Then there was the time when I was about 8, playing outside in the summer and a wolf pack entered our clearing . . .

One of the tricks of living the the cold is learning how to exhale so that your outbreath warms your nose. Otherwise it'll freeze.
I had to tube a tubeless tire on the road a few month back, due to sidewall damage. It was tough but manageable in that situation, but with cold fingers it would have more stressful for sure.

My strategy is simply to always be able to get to safety on foot. I'm quite capable of roadside repairs for typical issues, but unexpected things sometimes happen. I don't rely on a functional bike to keep me alive.
downtube42 is offline  
Likes For downtube42:
Old 01-13-22, 04:38 PM
  #35  
dabac
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 8,664
Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1067 Post(s)
Liked 275 Times in 203 Posts
I’ve ”always” been able to work myself warm, so apart from hands and feet, riding in the cold hasn’t been a problem for me.
Then one afternoon, I was riding home from work at about -18C/ 0F, and something just wasn’t right.
Couldn’t get my heartrate up, couldn’t keep my speed up.
When I finally got home, I was so cold that I couldn’t unlock the door. Not only b/c the key was such a small and fiddly thing, but also b/c I wasn’t entirely clear on how to operate it.
Wife had to help me in, help me out of my clothes and into the bath. After a 30 minutes soak I STARTED to shiver. Change of water and another soak before I stopped.
After some investigation, it turned out that I had developed asthma, triggered by cold air exercise. This was what prevented me from putting in enough effort to maintain body heat.
Quite scary in hindsight.
Partly b/c when I ride, ski or skate, that somehow blocks the sensation of being cold. I don’t shiver, teeth don’t chatter. Nothing. No warning.
Well, it can feel a bit nippy to the exposed skin, nose, cheeks - but that’s about it.
I usually feel OK - until I stop.
And when I do, I can be in such poor state that there’s no guarantee I can get going again.
dabac is offline  
Likes For dabac:
Old 01-14-22, 04:50 AM
  #36  
cjenrick
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2020
Posts: 409
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked 127 Times in 94 Posts
that chamois cream works well to protect from cold, use that from the knees all the way up to the stomach, insides of thighs and stomach get beet red without it, made a huge batch from a copycat recipe otherwise it would get expensive quick.

i just realized that if i ditch the spare wheel and replace the weight of the wheel with an equal weight snickers bars that i could walk home in the cold for 50 miles after a failed flat tire repair and get a better workout as well as a story to impress the local LBS crowd. Would not be anything like the Sami rain deer herders who thrive at minus60, who, BTW are facing hard times as the Artic is warming at a rate 4 times higher than predicted. The Sami have a hundred different names for snow and ice, depending on what kind it is.
cjenrick is offline  
Likes For cjenrick:
Old 01-14-22, 05:05 AM
  #37  
rumrunn6
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
rumrunn6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: 25 miles northwest of Boston
Posts: 27,153

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4474 Post(s)
Liked 2,068 Times in 1,420 Posts
Originally Posted by cjenrick View Post
The Sami have a hundred different names for snow and ice, depending on what kind it is.
ha!
rumrunn6 is offline  
Old 01-14-22, 09:41 PM
  #38  
Pugs2xLove
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2020
Posts: 289
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 75 Times in 57 Posts
I bike commute to work (about 14 miles each way) and even during Winter time. Rode out when it was -10 F last week. Several layers of clothing is what I use on my steel bike with Schwalbe studded tires. Had a flat last week going through some unpaved trails. Made it to work barely and had to change out there. Just curious how you guys keep those tires from deflating on the ice and snow.
Pugs2xLove is offline  
Old 01-15-22, 05:04 AM
  #39  
rumrunn6
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
rumrunn6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: 25 miles northwest of Boston
Posts: 27,153

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4474 Post(s)
Liked 2,068 Times in 1,420 Posts
Originally Posted by Pugs2xLove View Post
Just curious how you guys keep those tires from deflating on the ice and snow.
magic wand ... hehe just kidding. yikes, that ride sounds harrowing
rumrunn6 is offline  
Old 01-15-22, 06:51 AM
  #40  
Thulsadoom
Senior Member
 
Thulsadoom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Cape Vincent, NY
Posts: 1,301

Bikes: 2002 TREK 520, Schwinn Mesa WINTER BIKE

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by Pugs2xLove View Post
Just curious how you guys keep those tires from deflating on the ice and snow.
I very rarely get a flat in winter. The snow and ice cover all the sharp objects.
Thulsadoom is online now  
Old 01-16-22, 06:36 AM
  #41  
rumrunn6
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
rumrunn6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: 25 miles northwest of Boston
Posts: 27,153

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4474 Post(s)
Liked 2,068 Times in 1,420 Posts
all day road trip in the car, 4 degrees to start the day, 15 degrees at my destination, then home at 8 degrees. no auto flats. yay. saw / came across a serious 3 car highway accident at a highway spilt. 1 car wound up on ea. side of the split w/ 1 car head-on into the split. big sand barrels took the blow & lots of airbags deployed. no one was out of the cars & it was such a dangerous area I couldn't imagine stopping to help. called 911 & the dispatcher was already on it. feel bad for that 1 car and also the 1st responders. when it's brutal out - it's best to stay in. for yourself & anyone that has to come help you

Last edited by rumrunn6; 01-18-22 at 01:25 PM.
rumrunn6 is offline  
Old 01-17-22, 05:56 PM
  #42  
gecho
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,422

Bikes: 2009 Trek 520

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 90 Times in 74 Posts
Most of the times I have got dangerously cold, the temperate wasn't actually very cold at all. When it is extremely cold I'm more likely to increase my margin for safety by limiting time outside and staying closer to home.

Often it is close to freezing and the high humidity prevents evaporation so my base layer and gloves end up getting drenched, then as I start getting tired it becomes more difficult to stay warm. I'm tempted to add one more piece of heating clothing to my arsenal, a heated vest to boost my core temp late in a long ride. But I'm talking 2.5 - 3.5 hour rides, not just going out for an hour.

Generally I don't get cold until I stop riding. 10-15 minutes after a ride I get the chills, and raynauds may make my fingers go numb and white even though I've changed and put on a sweater. Its that reaction to stopping is why I don't like long mid-ride stops in the cold or going for a post winter ride lunch with a group. It seems to be circulation temporarily diverted from the digestive process reactivating and distributing cold around the body.
gecho is offline  
Likes For gecho:
Old 01-18-22, 07:42 AM
  #43  
sloppy12
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2020
Posts: 472
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked 244 Times in 143 Posts
Originally Posted by Pugs2xLove View Post
I bike commute to work (about 14 miles each way) and even during Winter time. Rode out when it was -10 F last week. Several layers of clothing is what I use on my steel bike with Schwalbe studded tires. Had a flat last week going through some unpaved trails. Made it to work barely and had to change out there. Just curious how you guys keep those tires from deflating on the ice and snow.
there is no way to stop a flat. you either make it with a slow leak, fix it wherever it totally fails, or uber. cold weather can make things go sideways way quicker with a flat. I always carry 2 tubes in the winter and tires are tubeless. I have snapped off presta valves several times in the cold. a couple guys I ride with are using tire inserts and tubelss so they can just ride flat if need be.
sloppy12 is offline  
Likes For sloppy12:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.