Go Back  Bike Forums > The Lounge > Books, Movies, Music & Entertainment
Reload this Page >

What Books have you read that you would reread or recommend?

Notices
Books, Movies, Music & Entertainment Do we really need a description for this forum?

What Books have you read that you would reread or recommend?

Old 02-27-20, 04:56 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Krampus

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 2,053 Times in 1,495 Posts
Some favorites that I have enjoyed more than once:

* Shardik, Richard Adams. People were expecting like 'Watership Down II: Now with Teddy Bears", but no. A subjugated people who worship a great bear 'follow' him to recapture their old empire, but only by compromising pure religion. This is a gritty examination of what it looks like when man 'captures' god and uses him for man's own ends. Adams followed up with a Shardik-prequel called Maya, but that was really more of a sex romp.

* English Passengers, Matthew Kneale. One of those books with a cast of 1000s and every chapter switches perspective. A motley crue in and toward Tasmania (formerly Van Diemen's land) in the 1800s, including a smuggling ship captain, a racist biologist with theories on racial hierarchy, a sanctimonious minister who expects to find the garden of eden in Tasmania, a Tasmanian native who is captured by a colonist and held as a sex slave, etc etc. All the stories weave together beautifully, and you learn a good bit of Tasmanian history in the bargain

* de Bernieres' Latin Trilogy (War of Don Emmanuelle's Nether Parts, Sen~or Vivo and the Coca Lord, The Troublesome Offspring of Cardinal Guzman) which is written in a similar poly-character style. More people I think are familiar with Captain Corelli's Mandolin (which is also great, and way better than the movie), but I enjoyed these enough to reread them.

* The Anubis Gates, Tim Powers. Incredibly inventive fantasy/fiction involving time travel in 19th century England, Coleridge, Byron&Keats, Egyptian magic, and a literal Insane Clown Posse. I've never read anything else like it. Because of Anubis Gates, I read The Stress of Her Regard (a pretty dark take on vampires/succubi), but didn't enjoy it enough to continue on to Hide me Among the Graves. Checking the web though, I should maybe check out On Stranger Tides.

* Conspiracy of Dunces, Kennedy O'Toole. I cannot read this book without trying to cast it as a movie in my head. But the main character, the incomparable Ignatious J Reilly always escapes me. John Goodman is too old (and not fat anymore), John Candy was too jolly, and there's not that many great fat, gruff actors out there. Maybe the guy who played Ed Kemper on Mindhunters (google sez Cameron Britton) would be good. Reilly is a workaphobic, self-important, self-proclaimed intellectual who entangles himself in a riotous cast of misfits in New Orleans.

* Farenheit 451, Ray Bradbury. After not reading it since high school, I re-read it this past year in preparation for a book club, and enjoyed it very much. A short book, but Bradbury's exquisite language is worth savoring slowly.

* Chronicles of Narnia, C. S. Lewis. If you haven't read these in a while, check out Michael Ward's The Narnia Code (or the more scholarly Planet Narnia) and read 'em again. Once you have Ward's secret key of the overarching theme to the 7-book series (that scholars have been speculating about for decades), you will see all kinds of little details pop out and make the books new again. You don't even have to be Christian to enjoy these!

But if you are... Out of the Silent Planet and Perelandra, C. S. Lewis. The first 2/3 of the space trilogy are fantastic, an investigation of the idea of, what if God made sentient races on other planets? Out of the Silent Planet: what if they never Fell into sin? Adam&Eve's Fall severed Earth's communion with the rest of the solar system. When some humans make it to Mars, they wonder what's been going on? Perelandra: It is now Venus' turn for creation, and the main (good) character from OotSP is sent to witness and protect Venus-Eve's temptation by the satanic bad character from OotSP. I never liked the third book in the trilogy, That Hideous Strength, in which that same bad character is literally a head in a jar trying to take over the world with a cult. You can save yourself a lot of time by reading Abolition of Man instead, Lewis' essay about education which he says is intended to deliver the same message as That Hideous Strength.

Last edited by RubeRad; 02-27-20 at 05:01 PM.
Likes For RubeRad:
Old 02-27-20, 04:58 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Originally Posted by BrownMason View Post
"DUNE" There is own map of the story in the book. There is 4 books and DC in one book.
DUNE is a great book (another which I have reread), but each sequel is progressively worse (and the movie with Sting worse than all of them). I recommend the original novel only, it can stand alone.
Old 02-27-20, 05:07 PM
Morg33

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 8 Posts
Sometimes I use to interest myself in technologies and games, so I used to know who the Witcher is, but never really read any book. Then my wife told me about this tv series "The Witcher" and I was curious to see something and decided to start reading the books of The Witcher by Andrzej Sapkowski, personally I am really enjoying them.

Last edited by Morg33; 02-27-20 at 05:11 PM.
Old 02-27-20, 06:12 PM
nob
Banned.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
The Giver by Lowry Lois , amazing book! I already read it twice, and even wrote an essay on this book. Who liked the movie on this book, be sure to read it, the book is much more fun. I always had a problems with imagination, and read some stories on the network, and they inspire me for my writing. Sometimes, I even contacted the phd dissertation writing service to help to plan my story, or to write in general. I always chose the best dissertation writing service, for my writing, but not this time. This book is just an inspiration to me. My thoughts were transferred onto paper by themselves.

Last edited by nob; 02-28-20 at 11:59 AM.
Old 02-27-20, 07:07 PM
Digger Goreman
Quidam Bike Super Hero

Bikes: 1995 Trek 800 Sport, aka, "CamelTrek"

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 328 Post(s)
Liked 398 Times in 272 Posts
Tao te Ching, by Lao Tzu, read an infinite amount of times in seemingly infinite translations... though Stephen Mitchell seems to more easily speak to Americans.

Tao of Pooh, and Te of Piglet, by Benjamin Hoffman. FUN reads that make conundrical subjects understandable.

The Tao of Onliness, by Martin Treon. The awakening of conciousness related by the I Ching.

The Gods of Man, by Carlos Efferson. Just... OH, WOW!

Desiderata, by Max Erhmann

Not-Two Is Peace, by Adi Da.

There is No Such Place as Far Away, by Richard Bach.

The Power of Now, by Eckhart Tolle.
Likes For Digger Goreman:
Old 02-27-20, 07:28 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

That is a lot of taos; more than two taos!
Old 02-29-20, 04:39 PM
Digger Goreman
Quidam Bike Super Hero

Originally Posted by RubeRad View Post
That is a lot of taos; more than two taos!
Amigo!, you should see my library.... Hundreds of books on Tao and similarities And can you believe: "The Tao that can be expressed is not the true Tao"?
I was fortunate to find Lao's little book in 1990: Thirty years has not been enough to enjoy these gems.... Had my parents known: how formidable and fun childhood could have been had. Fortunately, Chinese legends have us enjoying a second childhood, starting at 60!
2021, HERE I COME!!!
Old 03-06-20, 01:09 PM
alexsandro22

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Arch of Triumph
The Clipper Ships
and Book Thief
These three are the most interesting for me. Maybe that's because these are the latest I've read for a while. But I can say for sure they worth reading and I've even used them for my college essay task. The
speech I've used in my paper was connected to the first book I mentioned - Arch of Triumph. I used quotes from there and big part of description. That's exactly what I recommend to read for those who haven't read it before.

Last edited by alexsandro22; 03-13-20 at 05:28 AM.
Old 03-10-20, 12:46 PM
KP_Doodie

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Killers of the Flower Moon, by David Grann. A true story of an Oklahoma Native American family that became one of the richest in the world, the resulting (racist) legislation that kept them from their own money, the way they started being systematically murdered (with dynamite!) and the birth of the FBI, (many of their agents on horseback!) in an attempt to find the killer.
This is a really fascinating read.
Likes For KP_Doodie:
Old 03-10-20, 01:53 PM
JBHoren
Living 'n Dying in ¾-Time

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
I just last night finished reading Bad Monkeys, by Matt Ruff. It's fiction, 227pp, and a real page-turner. I recommend it.
Old 03-10-20, 02:26 PM
Welshboy
PBP Ancien (2007)

Bikes: Cannondale CAADX (for commuting), Cannondale CAAD12, Cannondale CAAD12 Team CNCPT, Giant Contend 2

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 121 Times in 78 Posts
'Trigger Mortis' by Anthony Horowitz.

This was the first post-Fleming James Bond book I've read and I hadn't realised that there's quite a few out there now! Horowitz skilfully works 500 words from an original Fleming TV screenplay into this book and, perhaps because I've never read anything else by Horowitz, I genuinely felt that I was reading another Bond book helped by the appearance of ***** Galore in a story that is immediately post-Goldfinger. Quite good.

'Colonel Sun' by Robert Markham (Kingsley Amis).

This is the second 'non-Fleming' James Bond book I've read and you quickly forget who wrote it as it just fits right in with Fleming's own Bond stories. There is a truly horrible torture scene in the book from which no one could possibly recover from but apart from that it's a rattling good read. This was actually the first post-Fleming Bond book and it's tempted me to try more.

'The Road to Valour' by Aili and Andres McConnon.

A biography of the famous Italian racing cyclist Gino Bartali winner of the Tour de France in 1938 and again in 1948 despite being considered an 'old man' at 34 years of age. However, it is Gino's wartime courage and compassion that impress. From being a contemporary of his great rival Fausto Coppi he has now become a real hero of mine.
Likes For Welshboy:
Old 03-12-20, 03:44 PM
Ferto

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I love Harry Potter. This is my favorite book ever since childhood. During my long life, I managed to reread it many times and each time I discovered something new for myself. But I have a friend who absolutely does not see anything serious in this book.

Last edited by Ferto; 03-16-20 at 07:55 AM.
Old 03-12-20, 06:05 PM
making
Super Moderator

Bikes: Surly Crosscheck

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1292 Post(s)
Liked 624 Times in 377 Posts
I read all the horror books I can. Several years ago my wife bought me a Nook. I really love books and didn't want to like an ereader. Well, one of the free books was Bram stoker Dracula. I had never read it. OMG, what a great read. You have to focus on the language of the era, but if you really focus on the story, after a chapter or two you get past that, and your imagination adds a lot. Just a great book, I can see why the character is still alive today. And I really like ereaders too.
Old 04-14-20, 08:25 AM
rseeker

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked 148 Times in 104 Posts
The Mote in God's Eye for some swashbuckling science fiction fun. A great companion piece for anybody who loves Dune, and speaking of which, since Dune has already been made four or fivr or six times, could Netflix or Showtime or whoever made The Expanse please make this next? #MakeTheMote
Old 04-14-20, 08:32 AM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

I found here a lot of interesting book recommendations. I wish I had time to read all of them.

are you not locked up at home for a month?
Old 04-14-20, 08:33 AM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Originally Posted by rseeker View Post
The Mote in God's Eye for some swashbuckling science fiction fun. A great companion piece for anybody who loves Dune, and speaking of which, since Dune has already been made four or fivr or six times, could Netflix or Showtime or whoever made The Expanse please make this next? #MakeTheMote
The Mote in God's Eye is fantastic! And don't forget the sequel, The Gripping Hand.

Is there really a campaign to get Mote onto film? That would be awesome!
Likes For RubeRad:
Old 04-14-20, 05:03 PM
rseeker

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked 148 Times in 104 Posts
Originally Posted by RubeRad View Post
The Mote in God's Eye is fantastic! And don't forget the sequel, The Gripping Hand.

Is there really a campaign to get Mote onto film? That would be awesome!
Yeah, fantastic read, Love it so much I wish I'd never read it so I can read it again for the first time.

No, no campaign that I know of but I think we need one. Those books are neglected gems. If we can make Dune, The Martian, Avatar and The Arrival we have all the special effects/CGI we need ...

Last edited by rseeker; 04-15-20 at 08:05 AM.
Old 04-14-20, 05:15 PM
Digger Goreman
Quidam Bike Super Hero

"The Importance of Living".
Lin Yutang
Old 04-23-20, 06:15 AM
RufusCombs

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by HardyWeinberg View Post
Patrick O'Brian's
It's great series of books!
As for me, I'm currently reading " 100 ways to improve your writing" by Gary Provost.
A great book to improve writing skills. I've been working on improving them for a long time and this book helps me with this. I like how the author explains everything, it's very clear and also he gives many examples and practical tasks, performing witch can significantly improve the quality of writing. Previously, to write any kind of work, I always used the help of professional services, like this one for example https://www.bestessay.com/ I 'm very inspired by people who can write so beautifully, so I decided to develop my skills too and I hope that this book will help me with this.

Last edited by RufusCombs; 05-14-20 at 02:27 PM.
Old 05-11-20, 04:57 PM
charlesj

Bikes: 74 Fuji Racer "The Ace", 86 Basso, 86 Schwinn Sierra, 89 Trek 1500, 91 GT Avalanche, 97 Trek 970, more

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Most of John le Carré's novels are worth rereading, especially Spy Who Came in From the Cold, George Smiley trilogy, Perfect Spy, Secret Pilgrim
His most recent one was more topical than ever before. They are much more than mere espionage thrillers.

Monkey Wrench Gang by Ed Abbey, not the greatest literature but a good romp that I haven't read in ages

Confederacy of Dunces, one of the funniest books ever

Two Planks and a Passion, perfect for ski geeks. It is to Skiing what "It's All About the Bike" is to bikes

Last edited by charlesj; 05-12-20 at 03:09 AM.
Likes For charlesj:
Old 05-11-20, 06:25 PM
Digger Goreman
Quidam Bike Super Hero

"Three Golden Pearls on a String,
The Warrior Priest"
by Thomas White

"The Tao is Silent"
by Raymond M. Smullyan
​​​​​​
Old 05-11-20, 11:25 PM
gios 

Bikes: 2021 Litespeed T5 105, 1990 Gios Compact Pro 105

Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked 320 Times in 178 Posts
Why We Get Fat: And What to Do About It (2010), Gary Taubes

The Case Against Sugar (2016), Gary Taubes

Bottle of Lies: The Inside Story of the Generic Drug Boom, Katherine Eban 2019

Dangerous Doses: How Counterfeiters Are Contaminating America's Drug Supply, Katherine Eban 2005

The Obesity Code: Unlocking the Secrets of Weight Loss, Dr. Jason Fung 2016

Why Zebras Don't Get Ulcers: An Updated Guide To Stress, Stress-Related Diseases, and Coping, Robert M. Sapolsky 1993

The Complete Guide to Fasting: Heal Your Body Through Intermittent, Alternate-Day, and Extended Fasting, Dr. Jason Fung 2016

The Carnivore Code: Unlocking the Secrets to Optimal Health by Returning to Our Ancestral Diet, Paul Saladino, MD, 2020
Old 05-23-20, 08:39 AM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 12083 Post(s)
Liked 3,706 Times in 2,551 Posts
This falls under the "recommend" category...
"I Love My Rifle More than You."
https://www.amazon.com/Love-Rifle-Mo.../dp/0393329224

OK, first it is brutally honest about the war in Iraq, second, it is honest about being a woman in the Army, and third, it is about Women. It is about how women are treated by men, in the service and in general. It is worth a read, the last several chapters also sum up the issues of veterans, from both Iraq and Vietnam.

Honestly, as the jacket cover says "If you are a woman, or if you've married or fathered one -- you owe it to yourself to read this book." Really.

I heard an interview of Kayla Williams on NPR, and her discussion of a bit of her time "in country," and I was drawn to get this book. There are some gory details, and some language used (typical of military), but the overall message comes through clear, and it is worth the time to absorb it. And if you have any sort of military background... I guarantee, you can relate.
Old 07-13-20, 01:44 AM
Cornchips

Bikes: Giant Cross City 3 (Escape)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by Zedoo View Post
The Great Crash 1929 by John Kenneth Galbraith
We Have Always Lived in the Castle by Shirley Jackson
I would add to this The Affluent Society (1958) by John Kenneth Galbraith
Likes For Cornchips:
Old 09-15-20, 07:37 PM
marcusrojo

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Alchemist by Paul Coelho

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.