Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Living Car Free
Reload this Page >

The very best thing about owning a car again...

Notices
Living Car Free Do you live car free or car light? Do you prefer to use alternative transportation (bicycles, walking, other human-powered or public transportation) for everyday activities whenever possible? Discuss your lifestyle here.

Old 04-28-21, 04:29 PM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Bikes: Surly LHT, Surly Lowside, a folding bike, and a beater.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1429 Post(s)
Liked 330 Times in 218 Posts

...motorists behind me are forced to drive the speed limit and stop completely at every stop sign. By me. Now I have the POWER to aggravate THEM.
Likes For JoeyBike:
Old 04-28-21, 04:46 PM
350htrr

Bikes: 27 speed ORYX with over 39,000Kms on it and another 14,000KMs with a BionX E-Assist on it

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1024 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 49 Posts
Really...??? Do you have a veteran license plate...??? Every time I see a vehicle with a veteran license plate, I change lanes... Cause I have learned that they drive like there was a cop car beside them.
Old 04-28-21, 06:34 PM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,017 Times in 571 Posts
Down here you change lanes if you see Canadian plates.

Snowbirds are notorious.

(Which is not to say they're representative of Canadian drivers in general. On the NY Thruway when I was young, Canadians drove as if they didn't know how heavy the radar presence was. And often paid the price.)

Last edited by jon c.; 04-28-21 at 06:39 PM.
Old 04-29-21, 05:49 PM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Originally Posted by 350htrr
Really...??? Do you have a veteran license plate...??? Every time I see a vehicle with a veteran license plate, I change lanes... Cause I have learned that they drive like there was a cop car beside them.
HAHA!! You have a problem with the word "LIMIT" as in Speed Limit?

A limit is a boundary, or how far something can go, or the maximum amount of something. When you reach the limit, imagine a little sign saying "the end." Source

How about the word "STOP"? Have an issue with this as well? Can't say I'm sorry to hear this because YOU are the one(s) I am having so much fun forcing to obey the law. Made my day in fact.

See ya on the road!
Old 04-29-21, 07:03 PM
350htrr

Bikes: 27 speed ORYX with over 39,000Kms on it and another 14,000KMs with a BionX E-Assist on it

Originally Posted by JoeyBike
HAHA!! You have a problem with the word "LIMIT" as in Speed Limit?

A limit is a boundary, or how far something can go, or the maximum amount of something. When you reach the limit, imagine a little sign saying "the end." Source

How about the word "STOP"? Have an issue with this as well? Can't say I'm sorry to hear this because YOU are the one(s) I am having so much fun forcing to obey the law. Made my day in fact.

See ya on the road!
Yes, it does seem that, I do have a problem with limits... Why,? probably because most, if not all, limits are set up for the lowest common denominator... Just because the speed limit on a corner says, 30 MPH, it does NOT mean that corner can only be made at 30 MPH safely... I have gone around 30 MPH corners doing 60 MPH and felt almost nothing, no squealing of tires, no being thrown sideways in my seat, no problem... why? because I know how to drive, and was driving a car that could make it around the corner at probably 90 MPH... JMO
Old 04-29-21, 07:50 PM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Originally Posted by 350htrr
Yes, it does seem that, I do have a problem with limits... Why,? probably because most, if not all, limits are set up for the lowest common denominator...
How about a residential neighborhood street with a 20 mph limit and 20 stop signs in a row? And speed limits are set up for the worst case scenario I agree, like topping a hill in the blinding rain at midnight. However, there is also an element of safety when everyone is driving close to the SAME SPEED, whether that be 200mph on an Indy track or 70 on a freeway.

Nonetheless, speed limit and stop signs are LITERAL, not interpretive. Tell that s**t to a cop. I'll do my part to see you don't get in trouble. No charge. Especially on that 20 mph street with 20 stop signs!
Old 04-30-21, 12:39 PM
350htrr

Originally Posted by JoeyBike
How about a residential neighborhood street with a 20 mph limit and 20 stop signs in a row? And speed limits are set up for the worst case scenario I agree, like topping a hill in the blinding rain at midnight. However, there is also an element of safety when everyone is driving close to the SAME SPEED, whether that be 200mph on an Indy track or 70 on a freeway.

Nonetheless, speed limit and stop signs are LITERAL, not interpretive. Tell that s**t to a cop. I'll do my part to see you don't get in trouble. No charge. Especially on that 20 mph street with 20 stop signs!
Yes, stop signs mean stop... But guess what, I think yield signs can be just as effective, but again lowest common denominator means, everyone must stop, because there are some drivers out there can't cope with the decision is it safe to go fast enough without stopping??? JMO
Old 04-30-21, 12:45 PM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 941 Times in 504 Posts
I obey the laws (including speed limits) while driving or cycling. If others have a problem with that THEY are the problem, not the person in compliance with the law.
Old 04-30-21, 03:11 PM
350htrr

Originally Posted by AlmostTrick
I obey the laws (including speed limits) while driving or cycling. If others have a problem with that THEY are the problem, not the person in compliance with the law.
OK, maybe I should clear up what I said/meant to say...

I was just saying there seems to be an over abundance of stop signs, and yield signs should also work just as well. did not mean one should drive through them.

Speed limit sign wasn't really what I meant to say, it's those signs that suggest a 30 MPH speed in a corner where the speed limit was 60MPH.
Old 05-04-21, 03:02 PM
StarBiker

Bikes: Bianchi Grizzly, Cannondale F700,

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 807 Post(s)
Liked 154 Times in 123 Posts
Your passenger can moon cyclists as you drive by?
Old 05-09-21, 11:31 AM
cooker
Prefers Cicero

Bikes: 1984 Trek 520; 2007 Bike Friday NWT; misc others

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 3941 Post(s)
Liked 113 Times in 88 Posts
Originally Posted by jon c.
Down here you change lanes if you see Canadian plates.

Snowbirds are notorious.

(Which is not to say they're representative of Canadian drivers in general. On the NY Thruway when I was young, Canadians drove as if they didn't know how heavy the radar presence was. And often paid the price.)
Are they Quebec plates? The common wisdom here is that they drive more wildly.