Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

'New York Bike Delivery Workers Band Together for Safety'

Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Old 10-13-21, 12:25 AM
Arthur Peabody

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 247 Post(s)
Liked 108 Times in 64 Posts

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/10/12/b...ood-watch.html
You can right-click on the URI, download the file, read your local copy
Likes For Arthur Peabody:
Old 10-13-21, 08:53 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2131 Post(s)
Liked 1,639 Times in 822 Posts
Originally Posted by Arthur Peabody
Was it not comment worthy?
Old 10-13-21, 09:39 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,517 Times in 1,031 Posts
Originally Posted by Arthur Peabody
For a more detailed description about the conditions for the NYC food delivery business and the plight of the riders who work for the app companies see this article at:
Revolt of the Delivery Riders
Note that almost all the delivery riders use electric bicycles. The article tells why.
Likes For I-Like-To-Bike:
Old 10-13-21, 10:37 AM
blacknbluebikes 

Bikes: two blacks, a blue and a white.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 442 Post(s)
Liked 839 Times in 407 Posts
pedestrians are getting hit around here every day. fingers point in all directions, but regardless, it ain't a sustainable situation.
Likes For blacknbluebikes:
Old 10-14-21, 07:39 AM
Lostin76

Bikes: 1977 Colnago Mexico, 1979 Ciocc San Cristobol, 1973 Schwinn Collegiate

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by blacknbluebikes
pedestrians are getting hit around here every day. fingers point in all directions, but regardless, it ain't a sustainable situation.
Pedestrians here get hit by cars, not so much eBikes or bikes. There are a LOT of eBikes on the streets though as so many people insist on having their meals delivered to them instead of going to get them or cooking at home. Yes, some people have to have deliveries, but the number of people in our building who order multiple meals delivered each day is astounding.

The original article that I-Like-to-Bike linked to really opened my eyes on the delivery bikers here. Really, really tough job and no one has their backs.
Likes For Lostin76:
Old 10-19-21, 01:04 PM
Inisfallen

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 29 Posts
Originally Posted by Lostin76
Pedestrians here get hit by cars, not so much eBikes or bikes. There are a LOT of eBikes on the streets though as so many people insist on having their meals delivered to them instead of going to get them or cooking at home. Yes, some people have to have deliveries, but the number of people in our building who order multiple meals delivered each day is astounding.

The original article that I-Like-to-Bike linked to really opened my eyes on the delivery bikers here. Really, really tough job and no one has their backs.
We have indeed become a city of people who are incapable of feeding themselves. And thus the proliferation of delivery riders on ebikes.

And, while I have the utmost sympathy for these riders trying to scratch out a living, it's out of control. It's dangerous. I ride my bike from midtown-west Manhattan to my home in Brooklyn just about every night. At around 11:30, so I'm always riding in the dark. And every night, every single night, no exceptions, I get startled by delivery riders coming at me fast, in the dark, quite often without lights, going the wrong way in the bike paths. It's a problem.
Likes For Inisfallen:
Old 10-19-21, 02:14 PM
Lostin76

Originally Posted by Inisfallen
We have indeed become a city of people who are incapable of feeding themselves. And thus the proliferation of delivery riders on ebikes.

And, while I have the utmost sympathy for these riders trying to scratch out a living, it's out of control. It's dangerous. I ride my bike from midtown-west Manhattan to my home in Brooklyn just about every night. At around 11:30, so I'm always riding in the dark. And every night, every single night, no exceptions, I get startled by delivery riders coming at me fast, in the dark, quite often without lights, going the wrong way in the bike paths. It's a problem.
It is out of control, and I’m sure you are hitting those times when so many people are “drunk ordering” food delivery, hence so many of the delivery bikers out. The salmoning that you mention is also a problem I wasn’t thinking of, but they do it. A lot!
Likes For Lostin76:
Old 10-19-21, 04:48 PM
holytrousers
hoppipola

Bikes: fausto coppi

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 512 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 163 Posts
I remember seeing a lot of cops riding bicycles, can't they patrol night streets to catch all those bicycle thieves ?
Old 10-20-21, 05:47 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
For a more detailed description about the conditions for the NYC food delivery business and the plight of the riders who work for the app companies see this article at:
Revolt of the Delivery Riders
Note that almost all the delivery riders use electric bicycles. The article tells why.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LgmC-OWnk_M

You realize you're illustrating the point you were making fun of in the other thread, right? These delivery guys are generally working for one of the ride share model services, which are set up in a manner so that the employer has no responsibility to or for their employees because they don't call them employees. These practices are not safe for anyone doing the job and are dangerous to other pedestrians and cyclists. When the accidents inevitably occur, neither the delivery service or the food vendor will be liable to anyone.

Remember the Domino's Pizza 30 minutes or free guarantee? They had to do away with it because people who were getting run over by their speeding drivers kept suing. Detaching the delivery from the store is a legal way to have dangerous policies without having to pay the real costs.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 10-20-21, 07:18 AM
Lostin76

Originally Posted by holytrousers
I remember seeing a lot of cops riding bicycles, can't they patrol night streets to catch all those bicycle thieves ?
Would be nice, wouldn’t it? Cops don’t do things like patrol or ticket here anymore. They sit in their stations or cars and stare at their phones all day. They definitely are not concerned about bikes being stolen.
Likes For Lostin76:
Old 10-20-21, 09:51 AM
holytrousers
hoppipola

Would be nice, wouldn’t it? Cops don’t do things like patrol or ticket here anymore. They sit in their stations or cars and stare at their phones all day. They definitely are not concerned about bikes being stolen.
What a shame.. Do you know the reasons why they act this way ?
Old 10-20-21, 10:09 AM
Lostin76

What a shame.. Do you know the reasons why they act this way ?
Seems to be many reasons - they don’t like the mayor, so they engaged in unofficial strikes. He is a hard mayor to like, I get it.

Then, when they went nuts on protestors during summer of 2020, the city pushed back. Think they got their feelings hurt over that and now are in the midst of another unofficial strike.

Pedestrians and bikers are pretty much on their own these days. They’ve written less than half of the tickets to drivers of a normal year and it’s one of the deadliest years on record this year for pedestrians and bikers.

Ealier this week, there was a story about NYPD officers harassing callers who put in 311 complaints about cop cars parking on sidewalks and in bike lanes. Our local precincts are lousy with cops parking their civilian cars on the sidewalks and people can barely get through. I’ve seen people have to push strollers out into the street to get around NYPD personal cars.

It’s a really sad situation when your police force is clearly against the people they police.
Old 10-20-21, 11:08 AM
holytrousers
hoppipola

Seems to be many reasons - they don’t like the mayor, so they engaged in unofficial strikes. He is a hard mayor to like, I get it.

Then, when they went nuts on protestors during summer of 2020, the city pushed back. Think they got their feelings hurt over that and now are in the midst of another unofficial strike.

Pedestrians and bikers are pretty much on their own these days. They’ve written less than half of the tickets to drivers of a normal year and it’s one of the deadliest years on record this year for pedestrians and bikers.

Ealier this week, there was a story about NYPD officers harassing callers who put in 311 complaints about cop cars parking on sidewalks and in bike lanes. Our local precincts are lousy with cops parking their civilian cars on the sidewalks and people can barely get through. I’ve seen people have to push strollers out into the street to get around NYPD personal cars.

It’s a really sad situation when your police force is clearly against the people they police.

Is the mayor at least aware of the situation ?
Are people communicating with the police ?
Old 10-20-21, 12:03 PM
blacknbluebikes 

Bikes: two blacks, a blue and a white.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 442 Post(s)
Liked 839 Times in 407 Posts
We have much bigger problems in NYC, unfortunately. Happens when you're managing 8.8 million people in a fairly small place. Amazing it works at all.
Likes For blacknbluebikes:
Old 10-21-21, 08:04 AM
Inisfallen

Is the mayor at least aware of the situation ?
Are people communicating with the police ?
The mayor is well aware of the situation. But he's a lame duck now, so he probably doesn't care.

He lost control of the police department long ago. Some of the fault is his, but to be fair, the New York City Police Department considers itself to be an entity apart, not answerable to anyone other than the Chief of Police and the PBA union president (and also the Sergeant's Benevolent Association, and the other unions representing officers and detectives). They don't even consider themselves answerable to the Commissioner of Police, since he's a political appointee, not a police officer (although the department certainly believes itself, wrongly, to have veto power over the appointment of the commissioner).

The department has basically stopped all law enforcement in the city. Part of the problem is political -- NYC is a fairly liberal Democratic city, and the rank and file of the department, by and large, are not liberal Democrats. Their union endorsed Donald Trump for president. They demonstrate their support for Trump by refusing to comply with the city's mass transit mask requirement, and reacting aggressively and sometimes with physical force when, on those rare occasions when they're seen on mass transit, asked by riders to wear masks. They are currently refusing to comply with the city's vaccine mandate for all city employees.

The vast majority of them do not live in New York City, and thus have no interest in the health of the city as long as it's solvent enough to cover their paychecks. I believe that a majority of officers have never in their lives lived in New York City, which is seriously not a good thing.

They basically detest the people of New York City, the poor and the rich alike (although they detest the poor and rich in different ways, of course).

Another part of it is that they're having a hissy fit about the nationwide protests after the death of George Floyd, so they've withdrawn from policing the city. They're like a little kid taking his ball and going home because he got a bad call in the game.

It's a mess right now. Beyond obviously, a police department that does not consider itself answerable to the elected officials and legislature governing the city they're supposed to be policing is unacceptable. It's banana republic nonsense.
Likes For Inisfallen:
Old 10-21-21, 08:09 AM
Inisfallen

I've lived in NYC all my life (sixty-plus years now). That's always been true. Complain about the cops parking on the sidewalk in front of your house? You will pay a price for that.
Likes For Inisfallen:
Old 10-21-21, 09:18 AM
Lostin76

I've lived in NYC all my life (sixty-plus years now). That's always been true. Complain about the cops parking on the sidewalk in front of your house? You will pay a price for that.
I’ve only lived her 20 years, and you are right, it’s always been this way. But it seems particularly galling lately with the massive increase in traffic and the decrease in their actual work that we pay them to do.
Old 10-21-21, 02:28 PM
BikePointz101

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This was a great read, thank you for sharing! I also wanted to share this, going along with bike city in cities. I’m Maggie, a rising senior at Brown University, and a few friends and I are building a safety-focused mapping app for bike riders called Pointz (bikepointz.com). The app favors roads on a ‘quiet network’ of safer low-stress, low-traffic routes. We built it with the help and input of hundreds of bike riders and bike advocacy leaders. We're looking for people in cities across the US to try the app before it opens up publicly. If you would be willing to check it out, here is the sign up form Bikepointz.com/applaunch
Old 10-21-21, 04:32 PM
holytrousers
hoppipola

Originally Posted by BikePointz101
This was a great read, thank you for sharing! I also wanted to share this, going along with bike city in cities. I’m Maggie, a rising senior at Brown University, and a few friends and I are building a safety-focused mapping app for bike riders called Pointz (bikepointz.com). The app favors roads on a ‘quiet network’ of safer low-stress, low-traffic routes. We built it with the help and input of hundreds of bike riders and bike advocacy leaders. We're looking for people in cities across the US to try the app before it opens up publicly. If you would be willing to check it out, here is the sign up form Bikepointz.com/applaunch
Why isn't your app open-source ?
Old 10-21-21, 04:39 PM
holytrousers
hoppipola

The mayor is well aware of the situation. But he's a lame duck now, so he probably doesn't care.

He lost control of the police department long ago. Some of the fault is his, but to be fair, the New York City Police Department considers itself to be an entity apart, not answerable to anyone other than the Chief of Police and the PBA union president (and also the Sergeant's Benevolent Association, and the other unions representing officers and detectives). They don't even consider themselves answerable to the Commissioner of Police, since he's a political appointee, not a police officer (although the department certainly believes itself, wrongly, to have veto power over the appointment of the commissioner).

The department has basically stopped all law enforcement in the city. Part of the problem is political -- NYC is a fairly liberal Democratic city, and the rank and file of the department, by and large, are not liberal Democrats. Their union endorsed Donald Trump for president. They demonstrate their support for Trump by refusing to comply with the city's mass transit mask requirement, and reacting aggressively and sometimes with physical force when, on those rare occasions when they're seen on mass transit, asked by riders to wear masks. They are currently refusing to comply with the city's vaccine mandate for all city employees.

The vast majority of them do not live in New York City, and thus have no interest in the health of the city as long as it's solvent enough to cover their paychecks. I believe that a majority of officers have never in their lives lived in New York City, which is seriously not a good thing.

They basically detest the people of New York City, the poor and the rich alike (although they detest the poor and rich in different ways, of course).

Another part of it is that they're having a hissy fit about the nationwide protests after the death of George Floyd, so they've withdrawn from policing the city. They're like a little kid taking his ball and going home because he got a bad call in the game.

It's a mess right now. Beyond obviously, a police department that does not consider itself answerable to the elected officials and legislature governing the city they're supposed to be policing is unacceptable. It's banana republic nonsense.
Thank you for this in-depth overview of the situation. I think i can relate a bit more to your daily experience in New York.
Do you think an action in the vein of a free hug day could to get back the police, or help in solving this impasse ?
Old 10-22-21, 07:05 AM
Inisfallen

Do you think an action in the vein of a free hug day could to get back the police, or help in solving this impasse ?
I think the idea of people approaching NYPD officers and hugging them is, on the one hand, hilarious and a fantastic idea, and on the other hand, likely to get those people maced, beaten to a pulp and taken away in handcuffs. And, to be fair, my initial reaction to some stranger coming up to me and embracing me would definitely involve pepper spray.
Likes For Inisfallen:
Old 10-22-21, 10:03 AM
BillyD
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 325 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11893 Post(s)
Liked 6,487 Times in 3,416 Posts
I think the idea of people approaching NYPD officers and hugging them is, on the one hand, hilarious and a fantastic idea, and on the other hand, likely to get those people maced, beaten to a pulp and taken away in handcuffs. And, to be fair, my initial reaction to some stranger coming up to me and embracing me would definitely involve pepper spray.

Well, during these covid times a hug is a scary thing for all parties involved.
Old 10-22-21, 01:35 PM
Roughstuff
Punk Rock Lives

Location: Throughout the west in a van, on my bike, and in the forest

Bikes: Long Haul Trucker with BRIFTERS!

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 39 Posts
I always thought a good idea would be to have "someone who just happened to be riding to my house too" get in front of the Pizza delivery guy and make sure he takes more than 30 minutes.
Old 10-22-21, 02:28 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by Roughstuff
I always thought a good idea would be to have "someone who just happened to be riding to my house too" get in front of the Pizza delivery guy and make sure he takes more than 30 minutes.

You're about 28 years late on that trick working. They got rid of the policy after a $78 million jury verdict in 1993.
Old 01-19-22, 07:09 AM
Comfort is King

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 22 Posts
I feel bad for the "real" delivery cyclists, the ones who delivered because they just wanted to be on their bikes. Now they are forced to be on e-bikes. Before, if you were a fast cyclist, you could make more than others. Now, anyone is a fast cyclist. People who have no business being a bicycle delivery person, because it was such a gnarly job, can do it without the requisite skill.
Likes For Comfort is King:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.