Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Tandem Cycling
Reload this Page >

Studded tires

Search
Notices
Tandem Cycling A bicycle built for two. Want to find out more about this wonderful world of tandems? Check out this forum to talk with other tandem enthusiasts. Captains and stokers welcome!

Studded tires

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-21, 07:54 AM
MNBikeCommuter

Bikes: Cannondale '92 T600 '95 H600 '01 RT1000

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 109 Times in 82 Posts
Studded tires

One of those random questions that popped into my head while winter riding my single in Minnesota this week: Have any of you put studded tires on your tandem for winter rides?

With my experience with studded tires on my single, I can't imagine running them on my tandem and trusting they'll do their job. But, that's just me. And you?
Old 12-10-21, 10:25 AM
mtreloar

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Au contraire. We ride Schwalbe Winter HS396 K-Guard 700x30c on our Santana Sovereign tandem (1994 vintage, with updated components). We are in southern Ontario in a rural location east of Toronto. The tires are fabulous on ice patches on shady parts of our rides. They allow us to ride on roads we would not risk on summer tires (Conti 700 x 28). The rims are the same summer and winter: Velocity Dyads. We have full fenders to stop the muck.
Old 12-10-21, 10:39 AM
fooferdoggie 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 680 Post(s)
Liked 947 Times in 554 Posts
the way the front wheel can slide on our tandem I would not be confident. but we don't have a lot of ice and snow so its not usually a issue.
Old 12-10-21, 08:23 PM
jccaclimber

Bikes: n, I would like n+1

Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 108 Posts
Back when I lived in Indiana I had studded tires (either Schwalbe or Nokian, probably the former) on our mixte tandem when it snowed. I didn't put them on it because it was a tandem, I put them on because it was the only bike I had with enough clearance. Most rides were just me though, no stoker. No aggressive riding, just a bunch of short commuting runs. While IMO I had better traction than the cars, I still stayed away from all but the emptiest roads. IME car drivers aren't stunning at avoiding curbs and telephone poles in the snow, so I don't trust them to be good at avoiding cyclists.

Treat it a bit gentler than riding on a rainy day with slicks.