Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Tandem Cycling
Reload this Page >

My Cheap $200 Tandem (Pacific Dualie)

Notices
Tandem Cycling A bicycle built for two. Want to find out more about this wonderful world of tandems? Check out this forum to talk with other tandem enthusiasts. Captains and stokers welcome!

My Cheap $200 Tandem (Pacific Dualie)

Old 06-11-13, 02:26 AM
WesleyEng.com

Bikes: Pacific Dualie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My $400 Tandem (Pacific Dualie)

Don't remember how I ended up getting a Tandem bike last year, but it was one of the best $200's I've ever spent! We've always liked riding motorcycles, convertibles, so this came natural and I no longer have to worry about my girlfriend riding into a parked car or a wall, plus we get smiles and compliments every time we ride out!

I'm not a high-speed biker so I could care less about weight and rolling resistance. I wanted something rugged, durable, will take a pounding and be able to go down curbs and stairs since I'm in NYC and can't always stay on the road. I'm not a small guy so the extra weight doesn't bother me. I treat it as high intensity cardio anyways once we hit the hills.

So far after 2 summers of riding, with the occasional brake and gear tune up, it has held up phenomenally. Most of the reviews I read on this Pacific Dualie's were on how tough they're built so it was perfect for me.

976530_4830828532937_821070815_o.jpg964378_4830763811319_628323493_o.jpg964310_4830763251305_336801172_o.jpg964584_4830762051275_1681275785_o.jpg
Attached Images

Last edited by WesleyEng.com; 10-27-21 at 09:53 AM.
Old 06-11-13, 03:28 AM
WNY tandem

Bikes: Co-Motion Speedster, His & Her Trek Madone singles, Specialized Rockhopper

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Welcome to the forum!
Old 06-12-13, 04:41 PM
jhazel

Bikes: Trek Madone4.5, Fuji Newest, DaVinci Joint Venture, Pacific Dually, Kuota K Factor Thruster

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
We also have a Pacific. I got it to ride around with the grandchildren and it has been good for that. Had to tighten the spokes and true the wheels a couple of times but they are pretty good now. Just finished the 37 mile loop of the San Diego Century last week, splitting the ride with the two kids. 10 year old had been sick so she only did 10 miles. 7 year old did the rest. I was really impressed with how much effort both kids gave me on the hills. Tandem riding is addictive. Just bought a DaVinci for the 60 mile loop next year.
Old 06-12-13, 05:43 PM
frantik
Chainstay Brake Mafia

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
sweet glad u turned that fork around from the first pic
Old 06-12-13, 10:06 PM
WesleyEng.com

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I still want to get it professionally tuned as my knowledge comes from youtube videos just for the peace of mind, but for our little 10 mile trips along the beach and back, it's been great. I've been trying to convince my couples friends to get one, because it is so much fun and you won't understand until you try it. I would love to double date with someone on these.

Last edited by WesleyEng.com; 06-13-13 at 12:34 AM.
Old 06-12-13, 10:21 PM
frantik
Chainstay Brake Mafia

yeah we've only ridden ours a few times and i already want to try to convince my neighbors who also ride to get one so we can ride together

just a suggestion.. you might try is replacing the tires with completely slick tires. unless you're riding primarily off road, those knobby mountain bike tires are slowing you down and make handling worse when you're on the street. a $20-30 investment could mean a lot more enjoyment. the first thing i do on all my 26" wheel bikes is replace the tires with road tires since i don't do a lot of off roading.

also, if you're in NYC, i'd consider getting a ulock.. but you know your area better than me
Old 06-13-13, 12:34 AM
WesleyEng.com

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by frantik
yeah we've only ridden ours a few times and i already want to try to convince my neighbors who also ride to get one so we can ride together

just a suggestion.. you might try is replacing the tires with completely slick tires. unless you're riding primarily off road, those knobby mountain bike tires are slowing you down and make handling worse when you're on the street. a $20-30 investment could mean a lot more enjoyment. the first thing i do on all my 26" wheel bikes is replace the tires with road tires since i don't do a lot of off roading.

also, if you're in NYC, i'd consider getting a ulock.. but you know your area better than me
I'm not too concerned about speed and handling, more about ruggedness and durability. We spend most of the time on dirt, potholes, and uneven boardwalk plants with debris sticking out. Plus I ride for cardio, so the harder it is for me, the better. I let the gf relax while I get my work out on. Except for steep hills, lol.
Old 06-13-13, 01:20 AM
frantik
Chainstay Brake Mafia

For your terrain I would recommend the Kenda k838 tire.. it's inexpensive and heavy duty. I used them for over a year of nasty city streets and light offroading without any flats. Just a suggestion though, keep it in mind when it comes time to replace tires. But if you like tires that add resistance because it increases your work out, then keep rocking what u got
Likes For frantik:
Old 06-14-13, 02:18 AM
WesleyEng.com

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Does anyone know how to, or if its even possible to install an Independent Pedaling System for my stoker?
Old 06-14-13, 10:37 PM
zonatandem

Bikes: Custom Zona c/f tandem + Scott Plasma single

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
Not worth it to put independent pedaling system on that tandem.
It would cost you at least three times as much as what you paid for the bike.
Enjoy what you've got.
Next time put that cable lock through the back wheel (it's pricier to replace than the front).
Enjoy the ride TWOgether!
Rudy and Kay/zonatandem
Old 06-29-13, 12:44 PM
tuffys1

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm a very infrequent poster, but I really like the fact that no one has given you grief for buying a 'department store' tandem or some such nonsense, or not buying a $5000 tandem. All tandems are fun. I agree with previous posters about the slick tires - as frantik mentioned there are good durable alternatives to the knobby out there, and one advantage to tandems is that they go fast -- so you could trade the cardio benefit of fighting the knobby tires for the cardio benefit of going fast. My wife and I are particularly fast going down hill.

Last edited by tuffys1; 06-29-13 at 12:45 PM. Reason: wrong message
Old 07-02-13, 08:34 PM
ksisler

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
OP; Only thing I can add is to be sure to take the wheels to a good LBS or a knowledgeable friend for a retensioning and be sure to keep the tires well inflated. I have ridden a Dualie and as someone very experienced with tandems spanning 40+ years, I can tell you it is a lot better that your typical department store bike. It is factually a decent all around rider if used within reason.

/k
Old 07-02-13, 10:29 PM
zonatandem

Bikes: Custom Zona c/f tandem + Scott Plasma single

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
Hills in NYC**********
Old 07-08-13, 01:52 AM
frantik
Chainstay Brake Mafia

^ looks like you had fun we just got back from a nice 14 mile group ride on our $200 tandem.. no big hills like your ride though, luckily

btw, it looks like the pacific dualie comes with an eccentric bottom bracket? it looks like it might be a tiny step above a lot of the other cheap tandems out there

Last edited by frantik; 07-08-13 at 04:13 AM.
Old 07-17-13, 04:55 PM
jhazel

Bikes: Trek Madone4.5, Fuji Newest, DaVinci Joint Venture, Pacific Dually, Kuota K Factor Thruster

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
It does have an eccentric bob and you need to be real careful with the fixing screws. I now check before every ride and carry a Phillips screwdriver after an emergency repair on the San Diego Century.
Old 10-27-21, 09:49 AM
WesleyEng.com

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
One decade and multiple stokers later…

It’s still going strong. One of my best purchases. Loved it so much I even bought another one!

Old 10-28-21, 08:13 AM
MNBikeCommuter

Bikes: Cannondale '92 T600 '95 H600 '01 RT1000

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 80 Posts
Originally Posted by WesleyEng.com
It’s still going strong. One of my best purchases. Loved it so much I even bought another one!
I missed this text the first time scrolling through your pics and got a bit confused: "You painted your tandem?? There was nothing wrong with the green paint!!!!"

Glad you're still at it! I realized our tandem celebrated its 20th anniversary this year. I wish I could say it's still going strong too, but with the kids grown up and onto other things, it only made it out six times last year and so far only three this year.

Last edited by MNBikeCommuter; 10-28-21 at 08:13 AM. Reason: Deleted a bracket on the end quote and had to replace it.
Likes For MNBikeCommuter:
Old 10-28-21, 08:31 AM
WesleyEng.com

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MNBikeCommuter
I missed this text the first time scrolling through your pics and got a bit confused: "You painted your tandem?? There was nothing wrong with the green paint!!!!"

Glad you're still at it! I realized our tandem celebrated its 20th anniversary this year. I wish I could say it's still going strong too, but with the kids grown up and onto other things, it only made it out six times last year and so far only three this year.
I bought another dualie 5 years ago. That’s why one of them is blue. I keep the green one at my home and I keep the blue one at my parents home. Both locations have nice bike routes along the ocean.