Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

2019 the year of the ebike? And how will you react, being a C&V'er?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

2019 the year of the ebike? And how will you react, being a C&V'er?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-19, 11:33 AM
Bad Lag

Bikes: 1974 Bob Jackson - Nuovo Record, Brooks Pro, Clips & Straps

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 794 Times in 452 Posts
Originally Posted by TenGrainBread
How do you figure that? The observation many have made is that it is increasing exercise. Lots of people who would otherwise commute by car or not bike at all are getting on e-bikes.
I am relating to you my observation that I have never seen anyone commuting on an ebike, not even one. I am not disputing the observations of others, I am merely adding my observation to the thread - one that runs counter to those previously stated.

All I ever see are people riding on the local bike path. Instead of pedaling, they are sitting stationary on the seat as the motor hums along. Yes, they are out in the sunshine (generating vitamin D) and fresh air but they are getting zero exercise.
Old 01-13-19, 11:44 AM
Bad Lag

Originally Posted by mstateglfr
I'm certainly nonadvocate of ebikes as i dislike the idea of potential misuse(speed), and even I find your comment to be laughable.

ebikes contribute to the obesity problem? Haha, I can't imagine you typed that withput laughing at the same time.
many things contribute to obesity, but a pedal assisted bike isn't one of them. If the person is using muscles to move, even if its limited resistance, that activity isnt adding to obesity.
Where did you get that from - it is not laughable at all, it is quite sad, actually.

Obesity has become a huge medical problem in this country. Do you not recognize the truth in that? Ebikes do not create/contribute to obesity but they enable/facilitate it by reducing the amount of exercise a person gets when they get on a bike. My point is, the people I see riding these bikes are not pedaling much or at all.

At first, I didn't understand your choice of the phrase "pedal assisted bike". In a bicycle, the pedal are the primary motive force. It is/should be "motor-assisted bike" or some such. Then again, your phrase makes my point for me - people are using the motor as the primary motive force and pedaling, if any, is secondary.

This is what I see around me. Your mileage may vary.
Old 01-13-19, 12:10 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10954 Post(s)
Liked 7,482 Times in 4,184 Posts
Originally Posted by Bad Lag
Where did you get that from - it is not laughable at all, it is quite sad, actually.

Obesity has become a huge medical problem in this country. Do you not recognize the truth in that? Ebikes do not create/contribute to obesity but they enable/facilitate it by reducing the amount of exercise a person gets when they get on a bike. My point is, the people I see riding these bikes are not pedaling much or at all.

At first, I didn't understand your choice of the phrase "pedal assisted bike". In a bicycle, the pedal are the primary motive force. It is/should be "motor-assisted bike" or some such. Then again, your phrase makes my point for me - people are using the motor as the primary motive force and pedaling, if any, is secondary.

This is what I see around me. Your mileage may vary.
1- yes I recognize obesity is a societal concern. A serious one, at that.

2- yesterday you declared Electric bikes will...contribute to the obesity problem. and just now stated Ebikes do not create/contribute to obesity...
so those sure seems to conflict.

3- it isnt your job to make sure others get exercise. It isnt your job to decide how people spend their time. If They want to see a movie, fine. If they want to watch baseball, fine. If they wany to fish, fine.
all 3 of those activities definitely don't reduce obesity in any way, but I doubt you take issue with movie watching, baseball, and fishing.
seriously- on the list of things to take issue with for obesity, a pedal assisted bike is about 4832nd down on the list. Rant about fast food. Rant about agribusiness. Rant about government subsidies for sugar and corn. Rant about how treadmills allow speeds less than 5mph.
but ranting about pedal assist bikes causing obesity(or now not causing obesity but also bot reducing obesity) should be so far down the list that it doesn't even register.
Rant at the movie industry for charging people to sit and not be active. Rant at Little League for allowing parents to sit and watch their kids. Heck, rant at Little League for not changing the rules and making players stay more active on the field.
all those werent serious, but they all make as much sense or more sense than complaining thst pedal assist bikes cause obesity.

as for your comment that nobody around you pedals at all- well ok then. Its like they are on a moped going from somewhere to somewhere. Oh hey there is another one- you should complain about mopeds and cars causing obesity before claiming pedal assist bikes cause obesity.

I can't believe I am effectively taking the position of ebikes supporter here, but your comments are so beyond the pale that it makes me look like a supporter. Funny.
Old 01-13-19, 05:13 PM
Bad Lag

I do not agree with almost anything mstateglfr posted but I am not going to continue that discussion with him. I do not come to this site to argue or debate.

I am anti-ebike because of what I see around me. I am also anti-gas engine powered bikes for the same reason.

Last edited by Bad Lag; 01-13-19 at 09:05 PM.
Old 01-13-19, 05:30 PM
crank_addict
Banned

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1361 Post(s)
Liked 423 Times in 282 Posts
It seems the Title and OP hit a nerve for some. I contributed to the topic as its another thing of interest and something I've followed, actually for a good decade (scary thought).

I'm building up my own little e bike VINTAGE frame because I want to and can. I don't care what others feel but do wish all good health and longevity.

Now let it rip-
Old 01-13-19, 07:14 PM
uncle uncle

Bikes: too many

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 411 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 140 Posts
Originally Posted by crank_addict
It seems the Title and OP hit a nerve for some. I contributed to the topic as its another thing of interest and something I've followed, actually for a good decade (scary thought).I'm building up my own little e bike VINTAGE frame because I want to and can. I don't care what others feel but do wish all good health and longevity.

Now let it rip-
When I initially started the thread, I expected that half of the comments would really be about people converting vintage bikes to an e-bike format. The other half, I expected comments about the pro's and cons of e-bikes, new or old. I'm super surprised that there is five pages of dialogue on the subject, and I do enjoy and appreciate all the comments and opinions. But, I don't feel compelled to drive the conversation to what or where I expected it to go, rather, I enjoy the banter going where ever it goes. I'm also always appreciative of the monitors, who allow topics to go wherever, even if the do stray away from C&V, as long as comments remain civil. Thanks everyone; keep the thread going if you have input.
Old 01-14-19, 07:27 AM
Classtime 

Bikes: 82 Medici, 2011 Richard Sachs, 2011 Milwaukee Road

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 1946 Post(s)
Liked 2,008 Times in 1,107 Posts
If someone thinks they will loose weight by motoring along a bike path, you could say motorbikes contribute to obesity.
Old 01-14-19, 07:46 AM
jayhawkpanic

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I just like bikes and therefore have at least some affinity for pedal assist e-bikes. I rode a pedal assist one for a minute on the Katy trail, and it was still great fun and a decent workout. They also allowed the older couple that let me ride it ride the whole Katy trail, which would have been impossible otherwise. I love that they allow people that are older, injured, out of shape, or otherwise unable to experience the joy of cycling.
Old 01-14-19, 08:52 AM
basketbro
-

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 15 Posts
i'm an ebike hater, mostly. i live in nyc, and vast majority of ebike users are food delivery guys who ride dangerously, and give no ****s. before someone says that i need to blame the rider, and not the bike, you're right - but i blame both. the ebike enables more of this dangerous behavior. i'm more than okay with ebikes for people with various disabilities, as long as they can control the bike at speed, and hauling/cargo applications. citibike (bike share) has recently rolled out pedal assist bikes into the fleet. i dislike this, because we've now got tourists/normies going faster and behaving even worse on bikes than ever before.
Old 01-14-19, 09:05 AM
clubman 
Phyllo-buster

Bikes: roadsters, club bikes, fixed and classic

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Quoted: 2297 Post(s)
Liked 2,054 Times in 1,254 Posts
I suspect it's only a short amount of time before the higher powered e-bikes are deemed motorized vehicles and will have to follow traffic laws. Then maybe we can get most of our bike paths back
Old 01-14-19, 11:38 AM
katsup

Bikes: 1995 ParkPre Pro 825 2021 Soma Fog Cutter v2 and 2021 Cotic SolarisMax

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 607 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 318 Posts
Cars don't want to share the road while cyclist don't want to share the MUP, bike paths and trails.

Personally I don't mind the pedal assist ebikes as long the rider is not being aggressive or dangerous. They do make me to try to keep up when I see them.
Old 01-14-19, 11:59 AM
dgodave
Behold my avatar:

Bikes: 2019 Gorilla Monsoon, 2013 Surly Krampus, Brompton folder

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 6941 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 289 Posts
Originally Posted by cinco
They're yet another silly fad intended to separate fools from their money just like 29ers, fat bikes, 650c conversions, and, more recently, 650b conversions. E-bikes are nothing more than electric mopeds and will fall out of favor, as did their ancestors, when people realize that they're an expensive and mediocre way to solve a problem which already has several more practical solutions. I've been rolling my eyes and ignoring them, just as I will when bell-bottoms and 650a/700d wheels come around again.
My 29+ Krampus is a great great bike.
Old 01-14-19, 12:11 PM
Vintage_Cyclist

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 512 Post(s)
Liked 409 Times in 176 Posts
Electric Road Bike Explodes On Adelaide Hill-Climb Causing Bushfire
The bike exploded on an ascent of Corkscrew Road, 20 kilometers from Adelaide. The climb is one of the most noted in South Australia and has previously featured in the Tour Down Under professional bicycle race. Soon after the battery on Ryan’s bike caught fire some CO2 canisters in his saddlebag exploded.
Old 01-14-19, 07:03 PM
uncle uncle

Bikes: too many

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 411 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 140 Posts
That will buff right out...
Old 01-14-19, 07:45 PM
Classtime 

Originally Posted by clubman
I suspect it's only a short amount of time before the higher powered e-bikes are deemed motorized vehicles and will have to follow traffic laws. Then maybe we can get most of our bike paths back
Promise!?

But i am a little worried that folks won't be able to "experience the joys of cycling" if they have to ride their motorbikes on a road with other motorized vehicles.
Old 01-14-19, 08:27 PM
clubman 
Phyllo-buster

Bikes: roadsters, club bikes, fixed and classic

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Quoted: 2297 Post(s)
Liked 2,054 Times in 1,254 Posts
exactly
Old 01-18-19, 10:42 AM
sykerocker 

Bikes: The keepers: 1958 Raleigh Lenton Grand Prix, 1968 Ranger, 1969 Magneet Sprint, 1971 Gitane Tour de France, 1973 Raleigh Tourist, 3 - 1986 Rossins, and a '77 PX-10 frame in process.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 129 Posts
Having followed this thread for awhile now, I'm catching myself looking at catalogs of parts to build an e-bike. I figure, that's the best way to understand them, build one and ride it.

“No one in this world, so far as I know — and I have searched the records for years, and employed agents to help me — has ever lost money by underestimating the intelligence of the great masses of the plain people. Nor has anyone ever lost public office thereby.”

H.L. Mencken, (1926)

Old 01-18-19, 10:56 AM
-holiday76
No one cares

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 64 Posts
So to be clear, we want to have a conversation about electric bikes and/or pedal assist with a bunch of people who aren't quite sold on the idea of indexed shifting?

Sounds like a good idea.

Old 01-18-19, 11:08 AM
BrocLuno

Bikes: K2 (Marzocchi/Fox), Trek 6000 (red) MARS Elite up front, Specialized Hardrock Sport -> eBike (R7 Elite up front), lastly TREK 820 loaner. Recently sold Peugeot du Monde Record and 1956 Schwinn (owned since new).

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by fender1
I take a look at most "new" stuff. I have seen a number of e-bikes and they seem to be a more complicated solution to an existing problem, so I don't think there is one in my future. I realize I am in the minority and the idea of a bike you don't have to pedal is really appealing to the general population. Not too dissimilar to self driving cars.
Pedal Assist Only eBikes are usually range extenders, headwind fighters, hill toppers. You still have to pedal to get anywhere ... They actually encourage folks to use them more by being convenient for shopping and hauling stuff home.

We just need to make it more certain that folks will opt for PAS only bikes, rather than hotted up eMopeds ... I think making clear that only Class 1 are allowed on all trails and paths would cinch a lot of sales and promote the use of low power PAS.

Rather than what we have now, which is a lot of scoflaws and a wild west marketplace ...

I also think the EU approach is appropriate. Build bike paths everywhere to separate low powered and human powered vehicles from roadway traffic and then regulate who can use them. The USA is deficient on both fronts ...

Last edited by BrocLuno; 01-18-19 at 11:23 AM.
Old 01-18-19, 11:54 AM
BrocLuno

Bikes: K2 (Marzocchi/Fox), Trek 6000 (red) MARS Elite up front, Specialized Hardrock Sport -> eBike (R7 Elite up front), lastly TREK 820 loaner. Recently sold Peugeot du Monde Record and 1956 Schwinn (owned since new).

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Classtime
I thought C&V was the place to avoid electric motorized bicycle threads. I always think it is strange that some one who "gets off their sofa" and onto a motorized vehicle would be referred to as a cyclist. Personally, I wish they would stay on their sofa or get back in their car unless they have a legitimate disability. I have no plroblem with motorized chairs on the sidewalk but they have no place on the MUPs or in the bicycle lanes.

I'm a Hater.
Jeff
Yes you are. To say the motorized chairs have no place on MUP's means you think you have superior rights to something ... Just like Sierra Club'ers who only want open space for themselves ...

MUP means you have to share. It ain't "yours" ...
Old 01-18-19, 12:55 PM
Whit51 

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 55 Posts
As a cyclist I favor human powered travel over motorized anything. As a city planner working in transportation, I must concede that anything alternative travel mode that results in one less car on the road at peak period is a good thing. I’ve also talked to cyclists in the DC area who are committed to being car free but work 25 miles from home and don’t have access to the metro, so they go looking for an e-bike. Regarding wheelchairs, there are some federal rules that encourage waiver of MUP policies to allow mobility devices (motorized wheelchairs) for disabled people. Personally, I think that’s a good thing.
Old 01-18-19, 12:59 PM
OldsCOOL

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 313 Posts
I ignore them and on a bike path will enter sprint mode to drop one.
Old 01-18-19, 01:30 PM
crank_addict
Banned

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1361 Post(s)
Liked 423 Times in 282 Posts
1600 watt mid-drive kit soon offered by Bafang
Old 01-18-19, 01:54 PM
dabac

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1074 Post(s)
Liked 295 Times in 222 Posts
I really don’t understand the animosity against ebikes in general, and the desire to ban them on MUPs in particular.
If it moves at the speed of a bike, brakes and steers as a bike, who cares if the motive power is coming from a pair of human legs, a hamster cage integrated into the wheel(s) or an electric motor?
I’ve heard some say, with indignation: ”it’s MOTORIZED”
And so?
It’s an engineering feature, to make riding easier and/or more enjoyable.
The bike industry/hobby/lifestyle has heard the same kind of objections against pretty much every development in bicycles incl the nowadays entirely accepted derailer gears.

For me it was easy.
The commute - particularly with studded tires fitted - was wearing me down.
It took consistently longer day after day.
Once home, I crashed in the couch..
So options were limited, move closer to work, get another job, or give up bike commuting.

Instead I bought an ebike.
On good winter roads, it offsets the influence of the studded tires completely.
On poor winter roads, it means I get home in good enough shape to manage more than eat and sleep.

And according to my HRM, I ride just as hard on my ebike as on my regular bike. The only difference is that I’m done a little sooner. A winter ride becomes a summer ride in terms off effort, time and recovery.
Old 01-18-19, 10:28 PM
Classtime 

Originally Posted by BrocLuno
Yes you are. To say the motorized chairs have no place on MUP's means you think you have superior rights to something ... Just like Sierra Club'ers who only want open space for themselves ...

MUP means you have to share. It ain't "yours" ...
I was referring to motorized bikes as motorized chairs because you can sit on them and go. But you are correct in suggesting that wheelchair accessable ramps on the length of the PCT would be hard for me to accept.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.