Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Tire Pressure Recommendations?

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Tire Pressure Recommendations?

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-20, 12:11 AM
GamblerGORD53

Bikes: 2013 Custom SA5w / Rohloff Tourster

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 318 Times in 245 Posts
Me and my heavyweight tour bike is 290+ lbs, only 5 lbs diff front/ back, just the bike. My SMP 35s are pumped to 70F/ 72R.
I let them sag 5 or 6 lbs for a few days.
I also have 38s x 584, that is about 225 lbs as ridden. They are 60F/ 62 R. Still rides pretty stiff.
Old 10-26-20, 05:53 AM
CargoDane
Not a newbie to cycling

Bikes: Omnium Cargo Ti with Rohloff, Bullitt Milk Plus, Dahon Smooth Hound

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 356 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 199 Posts
Originally Posted by vjbknife
You would be surprised how many people do not have any idea about this. And not that many other tire companies put out charts with this info that I have seen. They could be Jedi Rocket surgeons.
Even cars should be pumped harder when loaded.Yes, they must be Jedi Rocket Surgeons
Old 10-26-20, 07:01 AM
IPassGas

Bikes: Schwinn, Nishiki, Santana, Trek, Rodriguez

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 69 Posts
Here is a recommended table copied from Thorn. The max tire pressure is often determined by rim, not the tire. Wide tires can cause rims to split at the spoke line over time if overinflated.

Likes For IPassGas:
Old 10-26-20, 09:02 AM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2737 Post(s)
Liked 970 Times in 793 Posts
Originally Posted by IPassGas
Here is a recommended table copied from Thorn. The max tire pressure is often determined by rim, not the tire. Wide tires can cause rims to split at the spoke line over time if overinflated.
without seeing the chart by Thorn (which we all know are an established, experienced company making quality bikes, many of them touring bikes that have travelled the world) this still is a nonsensical chart without rider and load weights taken into account for a "recommended pressure".
Sure, its a guide, but it aint accurate if its a 100lb rider with no panniers or a 220lb rider with 75lbs of stuff also....in fact, looking at it, for three of tire sizes that I use, the recomended pressures are pretty close to what I run when loaded up (but certainly not with just me on the bike---so maybe this is a "loaded touring bike chart"
Is it?
Likes For djb:
Old 10-26-20, 09:25 AM
IPassGas

Bikes: Schwinn, Nishiki, Santana, Trek, Rodriguez

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 69 Posts
Thorn's strength is in loaded touring bikes, so I expect these recommendations are with loaded bikes in mind. However, many people are unaware that the maximum tire pressure stamped on the tire is not necessarily appropriate, because it may exceed the capabilities of their rim. This is especially true as tire width increases. Force on rim = Pressure x Area. For the same tire pressure, the increased Area of a wider tire can increase force to unacceptable levels for the rim, eventually causing rim to split. Rim manufactures usually do not post such numbers, so at least this table gives some guidelines.
Old 10-26-20, 10:29 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 3459 Post(s)
Liked 1,465 Times in 1,143 Posts
Originally Posted by IPassGas
Thorn's strength is in loaded touring bikes, so I expect these recommendations are with loaded bikes in mind. However, many people are unaware that the maximum tire pressure stamped on the tire is not necessarily appropriate, because it may exceed the capabilities of their rim. This is especially true as tire width increases. Force on rim = Pressure x Area. For the same tire pressure, the increased Area of a wider tire can increase force to unacceptable levels for the rim, eventually causing rim to split. Rim manufactures usually do not post such numbers, so at least this table gives some guidelines.
One of my Thorn bikes is rated for no more than 35kg load excluding the weight of the rider, my other Thorn bike is rated at 60kg load excluding the weight of the rider. So, there is not one generic Thorn load either.

Some rims carry a rating, the photo is from my 16 year old A719 rim.

Old 10-26-20, 08:41 PM
BikeLite

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 381 Post(s)
Liked 145 Times in 93 Posts
tubeless changes everything as far as psi