Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Backup plans when bike is in the shop

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Backup plans when bike is in the shop

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-21, 08:40 AM
Nachoman
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 206 Posts
Having a back up bike for your back up bike, helps avoid any potential unpleasantness.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Likes For Nachoman:
Old 03-08-21, 12:41 PM
dkatz1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 63 Posts
A lot of people here have many bikes. I only have two (well, i also have a Rudge 3 speed), and I'm glad that when i got the bike I always ride (in 2007) I kept the previous one. For just that reason.
Old 03-08-21, 01:58 PM
Riveting

Bikes: '13 Diamondback Hybrid Commuter, '17 Spec Roubaix Di2, '17 Spec Camber 29'er, '19 CDale Topstone Gravel

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 590 Post(s)
Liked 445 Times in 260 Posts
One morning, just 20 minutes before I needed to roll out for the Wednesday morning road group ride, my main bike had an issue that wasn't solvable in 20 minutes, so I ran down to the pain cave and grabbed the spare road bike off the trainer (which was the main road bike a one point), and that one also decided to have an issue that wasn't solvable in the remaining 10 minutes I had left, so I was relegated to the fendered, racked, dynamoed, kickstanded, and much heavier full steel hybrid commuter with heavy puncture-resistant 38mm tires. I definitely paid the price with choice, and got dropped numerous times by the group I almost always lead. It's good to have several road worthy spare bikes, but they are not all created equal. Thankfully I didn't need to go to the full-squish mtb.
Likes For Riveting:
Old 03-08-21, 02:45 PM
DocJames
Observational Theorist

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 16 Posts
You Own More Than One Pair of Shoes Don't You?

Intensely frustrating indeed. This is part of why I own so many bikes (8 and counting). Even if you don't gon that route, having a bike up of the bike you like to ride just makes sense.

I always wanted to be able to ride whenever I feel like it and not be shutdown by circumstances beyond my control. Waiting for parts, backlog at the ship etc.

My primary road bike I got used in great condition. I have a backup road bike also bought used, from a someone who bought it and never rode it. Tires still had the little frilly nipples on them.

Main mountain bike is brand new, backup is used.

Two single speeds, both gravel capable.
Likes For DocJames:
Old 03-08-21, 03:10 PM
altondavis2

Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
I have a former bike that I maintain. If anything, the tires might be low. In Michigan the
biking season is too short to miss a lot of time. My backup bike isn't perfect, but what
the heck.
Likes For altondavis2:
Old 03-08-21, 05:19 PM
bikejrff

Bikes: No. 22 Bicycle Great Divide, Lynskey R260, Salsa Colossal Ti, Litespeed T5, Lynskey Peloton, Bianchi Vigorelli, CAAD 10, Giant FastRoad CoMax 1, C-Dale Quick 1

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 18 Posts

I have WAY too many bikes. My non-cyclist friends do not understand. Heck, neither do my cyclist friends. Soon, this bike will be one of my "backup bikes."
Likes For bikejrff:
Old 03-08-21, 05:20 PM
bikejrff

Bikes: No. 22 Bicycle Great Divide, Lynskey R260, Salsa Colossal Ti, Litespeed T5, Lynskey Peloton, Bianchi Vigorelli, CAAD 10, Giant FastRoad CoMax 1, C-Dale Quick 1

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by Riveting
One morning, just 20 minutes before I needed to roll out for the Wednesday morning road group ride, my main bike had an issue that wasn't solvable in 20 minutes, so I ran down to the pain cave and grabbed the spare road bike off the trainer (which was the main road bike a one point), and that one also decided to have an issue that wasn't solvable in the remaining 10 minutes I had left, so I was relegated to the fendered, racked, dynamoed, kickstanded, and much heavier full steel hybrid commuter with heavy puncture-resistant 38mm tires. I definitely paid the price with choice, and got dropped numerous times by the group I almost always lead. It's good to have several road worthy spare bikes, but they are not all created equal. Thankfully I didn't need to go to the full-squish mtb.
You need more bikes.
Likes For bikejrff:
Old 03-08-21, 05:50 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 761 Post(s)
Liked 1,720 Times in 1,004 Posts
Originally Posted by bikejrff
You need more bikes.

^^^ Correct answer

Likes For jaxgtr:
Old 03-08-21, 07:48 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3885 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
Many years ago, in the parking lot before a brevet start, I was testing my front end, reefing on the bars, etc. when my one stem bolt popped. That stem was recalled the next month BTW. I jumped in my car, drove the 25 miles home, grabbed my rain bike, and made it back within the 1 hour start window. Had a great ride.

I built my rain bike real cheap except for the drive train, which was identical to Bike 1. So there you are. Yeah, 2 bikes. We don't have 2 tandems, but I do stock spare wheels for it. And the other thing is my road bike is never in the shop. There's nothing on it I can't fix. The tandem has some fancier components on it which I have serviced once a year, that's it. So do your own maintenance, build your own wheels. Among the group, the folks with the worst maintained bikes, which have the most problems and are most likely to DNF with mechanicals, are all completely shop-maintained. Not really sure why that is, just saying.

Bike 2 doesn't need to be fancy, anything which fits, has the right gearing and the same saddle will work. It's the motor that counts.
Old 03-08-21, 08:02 PM
SpeedyBlueBiker

Bikes: 1999 Giant ATX MTB, 2002 Lemond Zurich, 2018 Fuji Transonic 2.3, 2019 Specialized Tarmac Disc Expert

Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked 391 Times in 226 Posts
I have a backup bike, or as I also call it, my rain bike. I feel it's essential to have something to ride just in case the main bike is down for whatever reason.
Likes For SpeedyBlueBiker:
Old 03-08-21, 08:03 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3885 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
I guess I slighted Fred and I'm sorry. Here he is, is all his raging glory, $125 frame and whatever wheels and tires I had lying around. I made his decal myself.

Old 03-08-21, 08:13 PM
DocJames
Observational Theorist

Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
I guess I slighted Fred and I'm sorry. Here he is, is all his raging glory, $125 frame and whatever wheels and tires I had lying around. I made his decal myself.

Looks cool to me. The two tone, mismatched wheels add a certain flair.
Old 03-08-21, 09:37 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1939 Post(s)
Liked 1,463 Times in 1,012 Posts
Originally Posted by DocJames
Looks cool to me. The two tone, mismatched wheels add a certain flair.
Not to mention the liberal application of duct tape.

But I must respect an older gentleman who has much deeper handlebar drops than I could ever hope to reach.
Old 03-09-21, 07:56 AM
Andy Somnifac 

Bikes: Too many.

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 174 Times in 86 Posts
Originally Posted by CoogansBluff
One of the more frustrating aspects of cycling is that a broken-down bike takes you off the road, sometimes for days or even weeks, especially if you don't know how to fix hardly anything beyond a flat tire.

Curious what people have as backups. How many of you have a second road bike? How many have a spare set of wheels? Or tires? If you have a backup bike, is it your former first-string bike that was demoted after a new purchase? Or did you buy a spare bike used?

I have another bike, but it's a hybrid that's not ideal for the road. There's a paved trail near me where I can go 40+ miles, so the answer might just be to use that as the backup. Trying to decide if I should stick with that or buy a used road bike, or spare wheels, etc.

FYI, the latest mechanical issue is a back wheel that cracked near the hub. Surprised I didn't crash. Happened mid-ride. Bike shop is checking to see if the manufacturer will warranty it. The company hasn't yet responded. Similar thing happened 1.5 years ago. Manufacturer responded several days later and sent 2 new wheels. Now, one of those has malfunctioned.
I grab another bike off the wall. I have 2 road bikes, a cx bike, a mountain bike, 2 single speeds, and if it really comes down to it I have a TT bike. I'll always have something to ride.

Likes For Andy Somnifac:
Old 03-11-21, 04:31 PM
CoogansBluff

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 36 Posts
Got the bike back today in time for the best weather I've seen in months. I was about 1 mph faster than the past several weeks, although not unusual compared to last year So, I guess the failing wheel was slowing me down. Thought I'd just lost some conditioning or that winter attire (jacket) was slowing me, or the lack of pep that comes from riding when you're cold. I also bought a new back tire, so that might've sped me up as well. Who knows. Just glad to be back on the road. And have decided to invest a little into the old hybrid and let that be the backup bike. Kinda enjoyed doing the American Tobacco Trail here in Raleigh. Good to mix things up.
Likes For CoogansBluff:
Old 03-12-21, 12:03 AM
DocJames
Observational Theorist

Got the bike back today in time for the best weather I've seen in months. I was about 1 mph faster than the past several weeks, although not unusual compared to last year So, I guess the failing wheel was slowing me down. Thought I'd just lost some conditioning or that winter attire (jacket) was slowing me, or the lack of pep that comes from riding when you're cold. I also bought a new back tire, so that might've sped me up as well. Who knows. Just glad to be back on the road.
The 1 mile per hour speed increase could have just as easily been a result of your elation and enthusiasm for getting the bike back and being able to get out there in glorious weather.
Likes For DocJames:
Old 03-12-21, 07:50 AM
CoogansBluff

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by DocJames
The 1 mile per hour speed increase could have just as easily been a result of your elation and enthusiasm for getting the bike back and being able to get out there in glorious weather.
True. First time back on the road in 2 weeks in sunny 75-degree weather sure beats grinding day after day in 45-degree weather.
Old 03-12-21, 08:23 AM
DocJames
Observational Theorist

True. First time back on the road in 2 weeks in sunny 75-degree weather sure beats grinding day after day in 45-degree weather.
Glad you got your bike back in time to capitalize on the mild weather.

Believe me I know how you feel. All my rides this year till now have averaged 1 - 1.5 hours max length in temps as low a 28. Not fun.

Suddenly yesterday we hit 70 degrees and next thing you know I'm out on a 3.5 hour ride! Haha
Old 03-13-21, 12:17 AM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
If you and your bike have "an open relationship" you can rent a different bike and get a little fresh.
Likes For Seattle Forrest:
Old 03-13-21, 02:36 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Curious what people have as backups. How many of you have a second road bike? How many have a spare set of wheels? Or tires? If you have a backup bike, is it your former first-string bike that was demoted after a new purchase? Or did you buy a spare bike used?
I ride one of my other bicycles. I have one for each reason, at least.
There are, naturally, spare wheels and of course spare tires.