Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Dang youngsters get off my lawn !!!

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Dang youngsters get off my lawn !!!

Old 07-24-21, 06:44 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5219 Post(s)
Liked 3,564 Times in 2,331 Posts
reminds when when my Son first ran passed me. used to take him & Daughter to the HS track, since they were quite young, as part of "Daddy summer camp". the track was one of several outdoor sports we worked on. then one day, doing laps, my Son ran past me. I didn't have a chance to keep up w/ him & certainly not catch him. my words exactly were: "darn teens!"
Old 07-24-21, 09:02 PM
Tomm Willians

Bikes: Subject to change at any given moment but currently is...... Colnago Mapei, Colnago C40, Wilier Triestina Carbon, Wilier Triestina Ramato, Follis 472, Peugeot PX60, Razesa, Orbea Terra, Soma Pescadero and 1/2 owner of a Santana tandem.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 322 Post(s)
Liked 775 Times in 261 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso
That one definitely ticks both boxes. One of my favorites. And you’ll definitely see riders of all ages, abilities, and speeds on that road.
Yes we’ve encountered perhaps the best/nicest group of cyclists on that route that we’ve found anywhere. Steady Eddys is a great rest stop for the ride back.
The riding group I mentioned in the original post perhaps were a UC Davis team? Fast movers !!!!!!!!
Old 07-24-21, 10:11 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
That road is part of the weekly Saturday Davis Ride, formerly the Wheelworks Ride. Some really fast riders do that ride.
Likes For caloso:
Old 07-25-21, 02:42 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18320 Post(s)
Liked 15,299 Times in 7,231 Posts
Originally Posted by Tomm Willians
Did the tongue-in-cheek humor of this post go over your head ?
He can’t help it.
Old 07-25-21, 05:08 PM
pbass

Bikes: 2016 Surly Cross Check, 2019 Kona Rove ST

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 313 Times in 211 Posts
61, and I ride 1x11 and singlespeed gravel rigs with knobby, beefy rubber. I get passed by roadies all the time--of all ages! I just blame it on the bike
Likes For pbass:
Old 08-20-21, 05:21 AM
Gerry221

Bikes: Giant TCR Advanced, Merida Racelight, Specialized Allez, Bianchi Doss 500 MTB

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 23 Posts
Going up a very steep hill near me, i was puffing away, when behind me i heard a guy say "On your right!"

A young guy, looked mid 20s - I am 55 and overweight!, on an ebike, smiling like a cheshire cat. Putting in no effort at all.

If I could have caught him I would have choked him!!!!!
Likes For Gerry221:
Old 08-20-21, 06:56 AM
N2deep

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 88 Times in 57 Posts
Last year at the Savannah Bridge ride I jumped out with the young hammerheads and the last one that dropped me had a motor, no surprise being dropped but the guy with the motor, an old fart like me, definitely made me feel better. Have a great day!
Old 08-20-21, 08:52 AM
Chuckles1

Bikes: 2007 Motobecane Fantom Cross Expert, 2020 Motobecane Omni Strada Pro Disc (700c gravel bike), 2021 Motobecane Elite Adventure with Bafang 500W rear hub drive

Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 143 Times in 94 Posts
I get passed all the time. Sometimes if I'm not tired I'll see how long I can keep up with them once they are out in front a bit. It's a spontaneous opportunity to push hard for a bit, and often leaves me exhilarated if winded. Occasionally I end up passing them, but thats rare.
Old 08-20-21, 10:22 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2512 Post(s)
Liked 5,430 Times in 2,827 Posts
Davis to Winters and return mostly on Putah Creek Rd. There is a very short section from Russell Ave to Putah Creek passing over “Graffiti Bridge” that’s not great but it’s not horrible. The rest of the ride is quite nice with lots of shoulder.
Used to ride and run all of that during my UC Davis years. Brings back the memories.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 08-20-21, 10:44 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2512 Post(s)
Liked 5,430 Times in 2,827 Posts
Was very competitive back in my 30s and 40s, just like my wife. As age has worked it’s magic I was resigned to watch the young and strong blow by. However there is a local contingent of elders who have training plans/coaches and ride regularly at what I would consider a brisk pace (18+ sustained) which to me is rather amazing. They demonstrated that all of us don’t have to grow old gracefully but can regain a bit of our youth. Why bother? Because I have always been goal and accomplishment driven. Why not relax during retirement? Different strokes for different…. As a result there are a couple of locals in the 65-70 year age bracket who have best times for various segments on Strava. My goal to increase my fitness, besides enrolling in a structured training plan, is to try and pick off those best times one by one. So much for growing old gracefully. I will go down kicking and pedaling. But I do stop and drink in the scenery, enjoy the local fauna and take pictures. Life it too short to not enjoy nature.

Old 08-20-21, 11:52 AM
philbob57

Bikes: frankenbike based on MKM frame

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 714 Post(s)
Liked 602 Times in 371 Posts
I get a kick out of the pros riding up mountains faster than I ride flats. Of course, in today's Vuelta, there were climbs that slowed even the top riders to walking speeds.

On one hand, I don't like being passed. On the other, the only way I can avoid being passed is by not riding. I'll take being passed.
Likes For philbob57:
Old 08-20-21, 11:56 AM
Mr. 66

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 1124 Post(s)
Liked 1,704 Times in 941 Posts
I was riding one day and I complimented a young woman on her new looking 20yr old bike, it was here dads she replied. She one at point said "I hope I'm still riding at your age."

After a yoga breath, I knew it was a compliment I had just put fitness in my life, lost 40 plus pounds bike riding and was now endurance weight training also.

Her dad took exceptional care of his, now her bike.
Old 08-20-21, 03:41 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
I just try to enjoy my rides and don't stress myself about getting passed by other cyclists. I like to challenge myself with hill climbs and I don't care about speed and racing against others.
Old 08-21-21, 05:45 AM
KPREN

Bikes: 2008 S Works Stumpjumper FSR Carbon, 2016 E Fat Titanium Bike Custom built by me.

Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked 203 Times in 118 Posts
Some people can be overly competitive without much thought. Yesterday I was on my 62 mile loop on a limestone surfaced bike path lollygaging along at about 14mph or so in the 85 degree heat on my fat e bike when a young guy about 140 lb soaking wet in a race suit, on a road bike passes me without a word of caution. It startled me. The path was empty and the area was wide open. Once awake I kicked up the speed a bit and kinda matched him He kept checking over his shoulder on every curve so I closed the distance up to about 100 yards or so. He increases his speed about two miles and hour. I increased my cadence a lot. Whenever he went over a rise or around a turn I would close the distance back up. He became obsessed with looking back to see where I was at. He did five miles this way before turning off.
Amazing how you can be so competitive but unobservant. He just passed me. My bike screams e bike. What makes him think that an old man, on a hot day, with a dog on a big fat bike could give him a run for his money without it being an e bike. That kid had to be really sweating.
Old 08-22-21, 05:25 PM
Cougrrcj

Bikes: A few...

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Liked 370 Times in 256 Posts
Back 45+ years ago, my usual ride from the Ohio State campus took us through one of the more affluent 'burbs, and young kids on Mopeds were a thing. My riding buddies and I would 'drop them' on the hills as we headed out West past I-270...
Old 08-23-21, 02:56 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
It was both depressing and impressive 🤣🤣
Try riding with my son. He's 31 and was a nationally ranked junior triathlete when he was younger.

When we plan ride together I ask him "take it easy on the old man" and not too many long steep climbs.

Old 08-23-21, 03:43 PM
bargeon

Bikes: Fuji, Focus,Felt. 20 more letters to go.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 22 Posts
I'm slow. Everydamnbody passes me. I got over it long ago.
I just wave (but then that can start a flame war in these parts too.)
Likes For bargeon:
Old 08-27-21, 12:40 PM
Dudelsack 

Bikes: Lectric Xpedition.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 46 Posts
I think the humor in my post was lost on you as well…….
Happens all the time. It’s best to give an irony alert on this site. You might check out my 5 stages of aging” as an example.

Until then, man up you big crybaby.