Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

New Wheels for an Old Bicycle

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-21, 06:21 AM
storckm
Cyclist

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 15 Posts

So I have an old juvenile frame. It was originally made in West Germany with ISO 540 wheels. I bought it from someone in Canada ten or fifteen years ago. It's not a super nice frame, but it's kind of classy: aluminum fenders and generator lights (but old plastic--I may end up replacing the light and generator both). My plan is to fix it up for my daughter's 12th birthday. The front wheel needs to be replaced: the ISO 540 is a difficult size to find, so I've decided to build up a pair of ISO 520 wheels. It looks like the brakes will reach, as far as I could determine. (This is also a difficult size too, but they're used for Terry bicycles.)

Anyway, the hub spacing is 96 mm for the front and about 108mm for the rear. I have a 3 speed hub with 112mm OLD that I'd like to put on the rear, and need to buy a new hub for the front. I'm not sure whether I should buy an old french front hub on ebay and maybe try to swap in narrower locknuts for the rear hub, or just respace the frame. Any thoughts?
Old 07-28-21, 09:21 AM
RustyJames 

Bikes: You had me at rusty and Italian!!

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 566 Post(s)
Liked 1,048 Times in 543 Posts
You didn’t mention what style of frame this is (road bike, mountain bike, etc) or how much riding you think your daughter will do but I would look for the shortest path to completion. She’ll likely outgrow the bike in a couple of years so the sooner you get her on 2 wheels the better. (I bought my son a BMX bike last year - early 2000s Redline - since it can be modded to fit him for many years.)
Old 07-28-21, 11:28 AM
bargainguy

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 517 Post(s)
Liked 310 Times in 191 Posts
Points for creativity! But think about what you're proposing for a minute.

24" / 520 tires and tubes are mostly special order items where I live. So unless you give her a supply of tires and tubes along with the bike, you're forcing her into finding an oddball size once she flats.

That might not lead to her wanting to use the bike as much, no matter how cool it is otherwise. So finding her a frame with a more accessible tire size might be a better fit all around.
Old 07-28-21, 03:43 PM
storckm
Cyclist

Thanks for the thoughts.

I suppose you'd call it a city bike or something like that: it's definitely not for serious off-road riding or racing. My daughter currently rides her BMX bike around town, often with her friends or sister: I'd say several rides a week (at least during the summer). This bike is a bit bigger and has a rack, which she'd find useful.

I know she'll outgrow the bike at some point--she's small for her age, but not that small. But her little sister will be able to ride the bike eventually. I know it's a weird size, but I have the frame and want to make it operational, and will likely be doing most of the maintenance for her while she's the right size for it.
Old 07-28-21, 06:03 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2746 Post(s)
Liked 3,390 Times in 2,053 Posts
Originally Posted by bargainguy
24" / 520 tires and tubes are mostly special order items where I live. So unless you give her a supply of tires and tubes along with the bike, you're forcing her into finding an oddball size once she flats.
She's 12, Dad's going to be finding what she needs or picking her up when she flats.
Old 07-28-21, 06:33 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26413 Post(s)
Liked 10,379 Times in 7,207 Posts
...a regular steel kids bike like that is pretty easy to respace. That's what I would do.
Old 07-28-21, 06:52 PM
RustyJames 

Bikes: You had me at rusty and Italian!!

Quoted: 566 Post(s)
Liked 1,048 Times in 543 Posts
Originally Posted by storckm
Thanks for the thoughts.

I suppose you'd call it a city bike or something like that: it's definitely not for serious off-road riding or racing. My daughter currently rides her BMX bike around town, often with her friends or sister: I'd say several rides a week (at least during the summer). This bike is a bit bigger and has a rack, which she'd find useful.

I know she'll outgrow the bike at some point--she's small for her age, but not that small. But her little sister will be able to ride the bike eventually. I know it's a weird size, but I have the frame and want to make it operational, and will likely be doing most of the maintenance for her while she's the right size for it.
A line of succession, perfect!

If you can make the 24” tire/wheel work I would go that direction. I’m guessing the tires will dry-rot before they actually wear out. I quick scan on Amazon brought up some Kendas and some off brands that would probably be fine.
Old 07-28-21, 07:24 PM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 156 Post(s)
Quoted: 2323 Post(s)
Liked 4,988 Times in 1,776 Posts
When I needed a 24" setup for the front of my Schwinn Prologue TT I just started hitting all the recumbent sources. 520 is more common there. Grabbed a wheelset from one site that was pretty cheap and if I remember correctly Schwalbe had a few tires in this range. For sure they still offer the Schwalbe One as a 24".

This was a brand new Schwalbe Durano in 520 but I don't see those being offered now.

Last edited by jamesdak; 07-28-21 at 07:27 PM.
Old 07-29-21, 03:41 AM
martl
Strong Walker

Bikes: too many

Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked 482 Times in 253 Posts
So I have an old juvenile frame. It was originally made in West Germany with ISO 540 wheels. I bought it from someone in Canada ten or fifteen years ago. It's not a super nice frame, but it's kind of classy: aluminum fenders and generator lights (but old plastic--I may end up replacing the light and generator both). My plan is to fix it up for my daughter's 12th birthday. The front wheel needs to be replaced: the ISO 540 is a difficult size to find, so I've decided to build up a pair of ISO 520 wheels. It looks like the brakes will reach, as far as I could determine. (This is also a difficult size too, but they're used for Terry bicycles.)

Anyway, the hub spacing is 96 mm for the front and about 108mm for the rear. I have a 3 speed hub with 112mm OLD that I'd like to put on the rear, and need to buy a new hub for the front. I'm not sure whether I should buy an old french front hub on ebay and maybe try to swap in narrower locknuts for the rear hub, or just respace the frame. Any thoughts?
Nasty stuff, that ISO 540 ISO - ISO 540:2008 - Hard coal and coke — Determination of ash fusibility
Likes For martl:
Old 08-11-21, 07:47 AM
storckm
Cyclist

Any thoughts about lacing patterns for a smaller wheel? I've built some 700C wheels, and I've always used 3-cross, but I'm not sure about considerations for the smaller size.
Old 08-11-21, 10:05 AM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
Any thoughts about lacing patterns for a smaller wheel? I've built some 700C wheels, and I've always used 3-cross, but I'm not sure about considerations for the smaller size.
I think it would depend on the rims and hubs you choose. With smaller wheels, at some point you need to use fewer crosses to avoid excessive spoke angles at the hub flanges and rim. How many spokes?
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 08-11-21, 10:52 AM
clubman 
Phyllo-buster

Bikes: roadsters, club bikes, fixed and classic

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Quoted: 2298 Post(s)
Liked 2,054 Times in 1,254 Posts
I've got 3X on 16" 36 hole wheels, on a Moulton. The rear is an SA 4 speed. No problems, really strong.
Likes For clubman: