Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

70’s Follis 472

Old 04-14-21, 10:44 AM
Tomm Willians

Bikes: Subject to change at any given moment but currently is...... Colnago Mapei, Colnago C40, Wilier Triestina Carbon, Wilier Triestina Ramato, Follis 472, Peugeot PX60, Razesa, Orbea Terra, Soma Pescadero and 1/2 owner of a Santana tandem.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 322 Post(s)
Liked 775 Times in 261 Posts
70’s Follis 472

I’ve been slowly coming to the realization that I have acquired more bikes than I can truly take the time to ride and collecting for the sake of collecting isn’t of interest to me.
Therefore I’m considering parting with my Follis 472 that I’ve only had a short time. It has all its original drivetrain with Campy shifters and derailment, Follis neck stem, Ideale saddle, Nervar crank and headset, Mafac brakes, set up exactly as described in the various spec sheets I’ve seen posted by forum members. I had a set of clincher wheels built with Veloflex tires but I also have the original tubular Mavic wheels.
It has zero issues, rides very nicely and overall in quite good condition.

Value guesses ?

Last edited by Tomm Willians; 04-16-21 at 08:02 PM.
Likes For Tomm Willians:
Old 04-14-21, 02:13 PM
francophile 
PM me your cotters

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 1137 Post(s)
Liked 588 Times in 420 Posts
Good thing it's too small for me

Unfamiliarity with the brand is probably going to be the killer here. The 472 was a great bike. Unfortunately even in this good of shape, I can't see this fetching more than $350-450 in my specific market, and that's being my usual optimistic self.

However, CA is a different market. Sometimes I see bikes selling on the west coast, different areas of CA and the PAC NW, going for 20-40% more than what I could ever dream of getting over here.

Will be curious to see what others say. Overall though - nice bike, thanks for sharing!

Old 04-16-21, 12:23 AM
orcas island 

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked 235 Times in 108 Posts
Tomm- I was going to suggest something in the neighborhood of $600-$650 in the Bay Area. It looks lovely, and I’m sure you’ve got an investment In the extra wheel set you’ve built for it. Agree with Francophile’s assessment about the lesser known marquee hurting the resale a bit.
I see you have it up on CL; good luck with your sale!
Likes For orcas island:
Old 04-16-21, 05:55 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5877 Post(s)
Liked 3,445 Times in 2,066 Posts
This is a beautiful bike but French bikes tend to be devalued in the marketplace relative to say top end Italian, British, or US bikes. The odd sizing problems throw some people off as they are considered a pain to find parts for.

That said for anyone looking for a French bike, a Follis would be high on their list and this is a top end bike. $600-$700 is about right. You can pick up a complete PX 10 or a Gitane TdF for $500ish but this is a nicer bike and it's in excellent shape.
Likes For bikemig:
Old 04-22-21, 09:53 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 3449 Post(s)
Liked 2,800 Times in 1,974 Posts
The 472 arrived with various spec.
the crank while good does not have the cachet of the upper brands. Pedals appear Campag GS.
the French burden... the foil and sticker burden... hold back the intrinsic value.
$500- it should sell, even with the original tubulars, but will sell faster with clinchers.
Old 04-25-21, 05:41 PM
FelixScout
Rider who can know more

Bikes: 1995 Trek 850 Mountain Track turned trail and road bike, 1989 Centurion Le Mans RS, 1993 Bianchi Advantage. Dead: 1982 Schwinn Traveler

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by francophile
However, CA is a different market. Sometimes I see bikes selling on the west coast, different areas of CA and the PAC NW, going for 20-40% more than what I could ever dream of getting over here.
When I lived in the LA Basin in the early 10's my wife and I had vague ideas of getting cheap rural VT 10 speeds for resale. It was helped by seeing good condition Varsities move in the Basin for about $200 or a bit more then.

But upon a closer look it wasn't worth it.

Last edited by FelixScout; 05-13-21 at 05:23 PM.