Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Drillium How-To Guide Part One (Stripping Anodizing)

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Drillium How-To Guide Part One (Stripping Anodizing)

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-12, 09:46 AM
BlueDevil63 
my name is Jim

Bikes: too many or not enough

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 314 Times in 93 Posts
I am not really disagreeing here but this stuff is basically drain cleaner or oven cleaner, both of which get dumped down the drain all the time (obviously for the drain cleaner). It would be really nice if we had a fully functioning and convenient hazardous waste programs everywhere here in the states but we don't.

Originally Posted by bane
I don't recommend dumping caustics or any chemicals on the ground or down the drain. Contact your local waste hauler and see if they have a Household Hazardous Waste collection program.
70 Pogliaghi ItalCorse, 72 De Rosa, 72 Masi Gran Criterium, 75 Masi Gran Criterium, 77 Melton, 79 Bianchi Super Leggera, 79 Gios Super Record, 81 Picchio Special, 82 Guerciotti Super Record, 82 Colnago Profil CX, 83 Colnago Superissimo, 84 Fuso

Old 06-20-12, 09:54 AM
southpawboston

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 89 Posts
Originally Posted by BlueDevil63
I am not really disagreeing here but this stuff is basically drain cleaner or oven cleaner, both of which get dumped down the drain all the time (obviously for the drain cleaner). It would be really nice if we had a fully functioning and convenient hazardous waste programs everywhere here in the states but we don't.
True, oven cleaner gets dumped down the drain, but it's a matter of dilution. Oven cleaner is probably (I'm surmising) a combination of a small amount of concentrated NaOH with foaming agents to allow it to foam up and adhere to surfaces. Per final volume, it's probably not much NaOH. You put it down the drain and run water on top, which dilutes it further.

FWIW, NaOH is a strong "base" and has a pH at the highest end of the scale, at 14. The opposite is acid, which has low pH. If you mix an acid and a base, you effectively neutralize them both and produce salt as a byproduct. That's how we dispose of acids and bases in the lab, by neutralizing them with each other.

Urine is acidic, and we dump it down the sewer all the time. So, if you're really concerned about dumping lye down the drain, dump it in the toilet instead, and urinate. Bam, neutralized.
Likes For southpawboston:
Old 06-20-12, 10:15 AM
EnzoRWD
enginerd

Bikes: officially too many now...

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked 127 Times in 42 Posts
Originally Posted by southpawboston
True, oven cleaner gets dumped down the drain, but it's a matter of dilution. Oven cleaner is probably (I'm surmising) a combination of a small amount of concentrated NaOH with foaming agents to allow it to foam up and adhere to surfaces. Per final volume, it's probably not much NaOH. You put it down the drain and run water on top, which dilutes it further.

FWIW, NaOH is a strong "base" and has a pH at the highest end of the scale, at 14. The opposite is acid, which has low pH. If you mix an acid and a base, you effectively neutralize them both and produce salt as a byproduct. That's how we dispose of acids and bases in the lab, by neutralizing them with each other.

Urine is acidic, and we dump it down the sewer all the time. So, if you're really concerned about dumping lye down the drain, dump it in the toilet instead, and urinate. Bam, neutralized.
But I'm sure you neutralize in a controlled manner. That reaction can be exothermic and dangerous.
Likes For EnzoRWD:
Old 06-20-12, 05:08 PM
KvltBryce
- Bikes Not Bombs -

Bikes: 1986 LOOK KG86, 19XX Les Ephgrave?, 1983 Nishiki Royal, 199X Nukeproof MTB, 1974 Raleigh Grand Prix

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Exceeding bandwith? Bummer, this looked to be a promising/informative thread.

Perhaps you wouldn't mind re-uploading, DD?
Old 06-20-12, 09:47 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Mentioned: 255 Post(s)
Quoted: 2588 Post(s)
Liked 4,823 Times in 1,709 Posts
Originally Posted by KvltBryce
Exceeding bandwith? Bummer, this looked to be a promising/informative thread.

Perhaps you wouldn't mind re-uploading, DD?
No, what happened is that the original photos were uploaded to my Flickr account long before I "went Pro" and ended up with an unlimited-photo account. I had to delete the pics from this string back then to make room for newer pics.

I made a list of all the pics from this and the "Sanding and Polishing" thread for future photos. Then I'll re-upload and these threads will be of more assistance with pictures.

DD
Old 06-21-12, 07:49 PM
conspiratemus1
Used to be Conspiratemus

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 245 Times in 163 Posts
Originally Posted by EnzoRWD
But I'm sure you neutralize in a controlled manner. That reaction can be exothermic and dangerous.
....which could lead to another round of exploding-toilet stories!

But seriously, this is one of those situations where the solution to pollution really is dilution. Wastes are "hazardous" to the extent that they accumulate in the environment to toxic levels because they don't get bio-degraded, e.g., heavy metals, organic solvents, cancer chemotherapy drugs. But things like strong acids and strong alkalis are harmless once they are diluted enough not to be directly caustic to living tissue (or to sewage treatment systems.) Our stomachs secrete 0.1N hydrochloric acid which equates to a pH of 1.

A few years ago a railway tank car derailed somewhere out West and, on rupturing, released its load of 80-odd tonnes of sodium hydroxide into the adjacent river. A bunch of fish died in the first mile or so downstream but beyond that the river was just a bit more protected (temporarily) from the effects of acid rain.

I would be curious, though, about what, exactly, leaches into the de-anodizing solution from the parts being treated. Aluminum oxide, presumably? No more harmful than an old storm door sent to the dump?

Last edited by conspiratemus1; 06-21-12 at 08:11 PM.
Old 06-21-12, 08:20 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

^ Ugh - back to the subject at hand, already

I'm sure, in this day and age, there's a dedicated forum out there where "should we/shouldn't we pour drain cleaner down the drain" is a hot topic.

We are on a bike-nut forum here - right?

DD
Old 06-23-12, 07:34 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Photos updated

I promise not to delete them this time!

DD
Old 06-23-12, 07:40 PM
echo

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Drillium Dude
^ Ugh - back to the subject at hand, already

I'm sure, in this day and age, there's a dedicated forum out there where "should we/shouldn't we pour drain cleaner down the drain" is a hot topic.

We are on a bike-nut forum here - right?

DD
I know I'm a bike nut, and I followed your tips a while back and had very nice results. I did have a very stubborn stem a while back though...arg.
Old 06-23-12, 08:22 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

^ I'm happy to know the information on this thread was of some help - and I for one would love to see the results

Feel free to post pics of your results to this thread - and that goes for anyone else, too!

DD
Old 06-26-12, 09:18 PM
KvltBryce
- Bikes Not Bombs -

Bikes: 1986 LOOK KG86, 19XX Les Ephgrave?, 1983 Nishiki Royal, 199X Nukeproof MTB, 1974 Raleigh Grand Prix

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
AHHHH! Thank you so much!
Old 03-07-13, 12:12 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7346 Post(s)
Liked 2,452 Times in 1,430 Posts
I'm bumping this thread now merely because it's so informative. Thanks DD and everyone else.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 03-07-13, 12:30 PM
photogravity
Hopelessly addicted...

Bikes: 1949 Hercules Kestrel, 1950 Norman Rapide, 1970 Schwinn Collegiate, 1972 Peugeot UE-8, 1976 Raleigh Sports, 1977 Raleigh Sports, 1977 Jack Taylor Tandem, 1984 Davidson Tandem, 2010 Bilenky "BQ" 650B Constructeur Tandem, 2011 Linus Mixte

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
Between this and the thread that rhm put together about removing anodizing from rims, I was able to successfully de-anodize two rims recently. The first rim was a bit of a challenge because I didn't have a strong enough solution, but for the second rim, I used Rooto Drain Cleaner with Lye that I bought from Amazon. It was about $10 including shipping for 2 lbs of crystals. This stuff worked supremely well and I stripped a rim of anodizing in under an hour. I'll soon be posting the finished rims in a thread... They look quite nice.

I'm with you Tom, thanks DD for this informative thread. Good stuff!
Old 03-07-13, 01:23 PM
gaucho777 

Bikes: '72 Cilo Pacer, '72 Gitane Gran Tourisme, '72 Peugeot PX10, '73 Speedwell Ti, '74 Peugeot UE-8, '75 Peugeot PR-10L, '80 Colnago Super, '85 De Rosa Pro, '86 Look Equipe 753, '86 Look KG86, '89 Parkpre Team, '90 Parkpre Team MTB, '90 Merlin

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 830 Post(s)
Liked 2,110 Times in 553 Posts
Vinegar can be used to neutralize the de-anodizer (I'm not a chemist, but I read this on the internet, so it must be true!).

I've been wanting to try out Jebsco. Up to this point, I've only used Easy-Off and it works fine, though not as quickly as te 5-10 minutes DD mentions for Jebsco. FYI, the aerosol can of Easy-Off works much faster than the non-aerosol spray bottle (some stores here in Berkeley do not sell aerosol bottles).

'72 Cilo Pacer • '72 Peugeot PX10 • '73 Speedwell Ti • '74 Nishiki Competition • '74 Peugeot UE-8 • '86 Look Equipe 753 • '86 Look KG86 • '89 Parkpre Team Road • '90 Parkpre Team MTB • '90 Merlin Ti

Avatar photo courtesy of jeffveloart.com, contact: contact: jeffnil8 (at) gmail.com.
Old 03-07-13, 01:49 PM
Wulf

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 22 Posts
There are all kinds of archaeic names for chemicals:
Aqua Fortis - Nitric acid
Oil of Vitriol - Sulphuric acid
Soda ash - lye
Sugar of Lead - lead acetate
Marine Acid - Hydrochloric acid
Old 02-25-15, 07:28 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Bump, for anyone looking for this. Photos are showing up now.

DD
Old 01-29-16, 05:38 PM
cs1

Bikes: Specialized, Schwinn

Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 22 Posts
I pour it outside where there's moss on my driveway - kills it immediately!

Seriously.

Sometimes I pour it down the drain once it's done - diluting it by running the faucet for a minute or so after doing so.

DD
that's because it is basically Draino.
Old 01-29-16, 05:46 PM
jj1091
Mike J

Bikes: 1975 Peugeot PX-50L, 1971 Peugeot PX-10, 1974 Peugeot PX-8

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 392 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Small world - I enlisted in the Navy in 1988! And we're still patrolling with P-3s...

Go figure.
I enlisted in '72, was an AW Aircrewman on P3's.
Old 02-04-16, 10:12 PM
imbikecurious

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I recently went to buy a bike in Oxnard and the seller kept talking about this dude who drilled all his own bike parts. He was like:

"Yeah, he goes through every part and drills a hole and countersinks 'em too. And I'm asking him, 'Dude, do you even know if this is safe?'"

Now I think I know who he was talking about.
Old 05-23-22, 07:53 AM
QuikRick

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 185 Times in 46 Posts
I took a big chance on this ugly duckling. These are before shots of the 3ttt stem with the Colnago panto's

I did use Easy Off to remove the black anodizing, then I did the sandpaper thing. I started with 250 grit and worked my way up to 3000, Then I hit it with Mothers Mag Polish. The stem as you can see above started out pretty rough, so I couldn't get all the scratches out but I think it looks good, not perfect but good.

Here it is installed on the Colnago Master Piu. Notice that I also polished the handlebar.

BTW... that's a smudge , (not a scratch) next to the Colnago Club in the last pic.

Last edited by QuikRick; 05-23-22 at 10:03 AM.
Likes For QuikRick: