Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Bike stuff that bugs you more than it bugs most people

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Bike stuff that bugs you more than it bugs most people

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-20, 03:42 PM
Mr. Spadoni 

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 354 Post(s)
Liked 402 Times in 217 Posts
Cockpit when used in reference to a bike. If you want to pretend your bike is an airplane, put a baseball card in your spokes.
Likes For Mr. Spadoni:
Old 12-31-20, 03:50 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4677 Post(s)
Liked 5,790 Times in 2,279 Posts
Originally Posted by Rocket-Sauce
T
Poorly adjusted headlights that blind oncoming riders.
Worse yet - flashing headlights. When did headlights become a warning sign instead of a way to light the road ahead of you? Very distracting to everyone approaching them. Also flashing tail lights.

A flashing light should be limited to emergency vehicles and people emergency situations, such as a car broken down at the side of the road.

The Germans have it figured out - I understand they're outlawed there.
Old 12-31-20, 03:51 PM
steelbikeguy

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 1826 Post(s)
Liked 3,367 Times in 1,573 Posts
Originally Posted by iab
I haven't a clue when this became a thing, sorry. But if they didn't properly build a wheel back in the day, then shame on them.
are you kidding? It was hard enough to get the drivetrain on the correct side.... as evidenced by this image from the 1974 Raleigh catalog page for the Super Tourer (a pretty cool bike).

Steve in Peoria
Old 12-31-20, 04:06 PM
iab

Mentioned: 201 Post(s)
Quoted: 3011 Post(s)
Liked 3,786 Times in 1,405 Posts
Originally Posted by BFisher
The Polish don't use enough.
A trade agreement would be prudent.
Likes For iab:
Old 12-31-20, 04:16 PM
iab

Originally Posted by gugie

A flashing light should be limited to emergency vehicles and people emergency situations, such as a car broken down at the side of the road.
While I understand your wish to reduce seizures, but your own sentence is the explanation. I will take the increased visibility to cars over a 30-second inconvenience any day, all day and every day. That said, I'm one of the 3 people riding a bike in these parts. Your area may have a higher bike density and cars may be more aware of a bicycle's presence.
Old 12-31-20, 04:29 PM
Sismologue

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by bargo68
Mini/half fenders.
Just.....why?
Bahah, this gave me a good laugh! I mean, I guess they look pretty?
Old 12-31-20, 04:42 PM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 339 Posts
The verb "wrench."

I'm fine with the noun.
Old 12-31-20, 04:48 PM
stewartp
put me back on my bike

Bikes: Airbourne Carpe Diem + own brand fixed gear

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Goosecheck
  • Use of aero/tri bars any place outside of an actual race.

-If I plan to race on tri bars I'm damn sure going to train on them as often as I can
Old 12-31-20, 05:00 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Originally Posted by iab
While I understand your wish to reduce seizures, but your own sentence is the explanation. I will take the increased visibility to cars over a 30-second inconvenience any day, all day and every day. That said, I'm one of the 3 people riding a bike in these parts. Your area may have a higher bike density and cars may be more aware of a bicycle's presence.
It's not an inconvenience, and I'll discount the seizures arguement, it's just less safe. The organization that represents a lot of people that ride through the night (RUSA) specifically rules them out on their rides for a reason, and are riding in rural areas that see bicycles at night maybe never. Portlandia bicycle density is pretty high, and that makes it even worse because over half of the bikes have flashing tail and headlights. It's very distracting while I'm trying to concentrate on looking for broken glass and potholes on my ride home. I often wonder what a car drive riding behind me sees - my non flashing tail light, or are they distracted by the flasher on the other side of the road? If flashing lights are so safe, why don't cars have them on full time? Another issue is that it makes it difficult to judge a bike's speed.

Perhaps a compromise is to have both a flashing and constant light. The few bikes I've seen with both don't distract me much.

Yeah, I'm sure this bugs me more than most people, as I appear outnumbered out on the streets at night.
Old 12-31-20, 05:29 PM
iab

If flashing lights are so safe, why don't cars have them on full time? .
Flashing lights are safer because they are the exception. Cars are expected on the road and don't need special consideration. If everything was flashing, there would be no exception.

But again, in my area, I am the exception on a bike. ymmv.
Old 12-31-20, 05:42 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Originally Posted by iab
Flashing lights are safer because they are the exception. Cars are expected on the road and don't need special consideration. If everything was flashing, there would be no exception.

But again, in my area, I am the exception on a bike. ymmv.
I think you nailed it. You see three bicycles on the road any given night, I see 20-30 on my route home in the dead of winter and it's raining.
Old 12-31-20, 06:01 PM
masi61

Bikes: Puch Marco Polo, Saint Tropez, Masi Gran Criterium

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1163 Post(s)
Liked 441 Times in 314 Posts
It's not an inconvenience, and I'll discount the seizures arguement, it's just less safe. The organization that represents a lot of people that ride through the night (RUSA) specifically rules them out on their rides for a reason, and are riding in rural areas that see bicycles at night maybe never. Portlandia bicycle density is pretty high, and that makes it even worse because over half of the bikes have flashing tail and headlights. It's very distracting while I'm trying to concentrate on looking for broken glass and potholes on my ride home. I often wonder what a car drive riding behind me sees - my non flashing tail light, or are they distracted by the flasher on the other side of the road? If flashing lights are so safe, why don't cars have them on full time? Another issue is that it makes it difficult to judge a bike's speed.

Perhaps a compromise is to have both a flashing and constant light. The few bikes I've seen with both don't distract me much.

Yeah, I'm sure this bugs me more than most people, as I appear outnumbered out on the streets at night.
On my bike club rides when we are in a group, the group leader asks all riders to put their tail lights on solid. This allows our group to still be seen and to not impair our vision while we complete the last part of our ride after dusk.
Old 12-31-20, 06:18 PM
Rocket-Sauce 
Port

Bikes: 2022 Soma Fog Cutter, 2021 Calfee Draqonfly 44, 1984 Peter Mooney, 2017 Soma Stanyan, 1990 Fuji Ace, 1990 Bridgestone RB-1, 1995 Independent Fabrications Track, 2003 Calfee Dragonfly Pro

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 1,840 Times in 1,052 Posts
Forgive me quoting myself...
Originally Posted by Rocket-Sauce
Poorly adjusted headlights that blind oncoming riders. While I am at it, headlights that are bright enough to light up a stadium for Monday Night Football...
My wife pointed out that guys* that ride this way, would almost certainly turn off the high beams in their cars for oncoming vehicles

*always guys. Ladies have more sense.
Likes For Rocket-Sauce:
Old 12-31-20, 06:44 PM
mosinglespeeder

Bikes: Waterford W-13, Ritchey road logic; Ritchey SwissCross; Pinarello Paris ; Surly Karate Monkey monstergravel hauler 1983 Mike Mullet, mid 80s Alpina, late 70s schwinn world sport tourer

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 19 Posts
I'm a grumpy grandpa, so this question could go on and on for me

-multi colored bar wrap that looks like someone barfed on the bars
-poorly wrapped bar tape, on a otherwise nice bike, the lack of detail, lines that waver/or is lumpy, exposing the bar clamps....is a weak craftsman
-stems that don't match the seatpost...terrible, proverbial mismatched black and silver
-stems that are so erected it appears to be a perpetual priapism, which inevitably is a poor bike fit
-seats that are >2 degrees tilted forward, and inverse to the above, looks like it may never get up again
-cables that are visibly frayed....the owner should be whipped with a wet noodle, 39 times
Old 12-31-20, 07:19 PM
Unca_Sam
The dropped

Bikes: Pake C'Mute Touring/Commuter Build, 1989 Kona Cinder Cone, 1995 Trek 5200, 1973 Raleigh Super Course FG, 1960/61 Montgomery Ward Hawthorne "thrift" 3 speed, by Hercules (sold) : 1966 Schwinn Deluxe Racer (sold)

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1739 Post(s)
Liked 1,014 Times in 696 Posts
I think you nailed it. You see three bicycles on the road any given night, I see 20-30 on my route home in the dead of winter and it's raining.
Low lumen flashing lights in the daytime to increase visibility in low visibility situations (shade, heavily parked streets), solid at night to light your way and provide a consistent distance estimate for overtaking traffic. Solid up front all the time will be fine too, though flashing draws my attention more quickly. I'm only really concerned about failure to yield situations for the front, when the driver may only be giving a glance before pulling out.
Old 12-31-20, 07:57 PM
sincos

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked 127 Times in 74 Posts
Originally Posted by seypat
Until I saw it mentioned on BF, I didn't know about the strap twist thing. I came to cycling later in life after clipless pedals became a thing. I also put the strap though the little loop on the buckle..........because it's there.
Straps used to come with (or maybe you had to get separately, I forget now) a button that screwed onto the end of the strap. With it on there's no way it would thread through the "buckle" (which isn't a buckle but a raised lip that you can just flick to loosen enough to pull out.) Also, a well used strap will take a bend upwards, in the opposite direction*, which is yet another reason why there's just no way the one pictured was accidentally installed in a hurry by someone who used the thing. As Steve in Peoria said, it's like walking out of the house having forgotten your pants.

*Unless it's a nylon strap, which is to be avoided because it will eventually fray and the teeth will get caught in the fabric just as you come to a stop. Horizontally.

There. Have I dated myself yet?
Old 12-31-20, 08:08 PM
Mad Honk 

Bikes: Paramount, Faggin, Ochsner, Ciocc, Basso

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 1300 Post(s)
Liked 1,900 Times in 1,136 Posts
I still use those and there is only one way to install them to be effective. The twist holds the strap from moving while cinching it up, and allows for ease in releasing the strap. The buttons are used to facilitate the cinching up of the strap on the down stroke for the rider. HTH, Smiles, MH
Likes For Mad Honk:
Old 12-31-20, 08:15 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3869 Post(s)
Liked 6,454 Times in 3,192 Posts
Originally Posted by Reynolds
Spelling that bugs me: Campagnola, ...
I like writing, Campañola.

So much easier to pronounce.
Old 12-31-20, 08:19 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Mentioned: 255 Post(s)
Quoted: 2588 Post(s)
Liked 4,823 Times in 1,709 Posts
Ooh, here's a light-related one I experienced for the first time on my final ride of 2020: those pesky red lights on the backs of some helmets! I came upon a woman with one of these contraptions and though it wasn't set to blinking mode it was still bright enough to force me to squint my eyes at a distance of 30 feet. Much, much too bright to be located in the middle of many a cyclist's sight line.

And yeah, badly-adjusted headlights which can cause momentary blindness is even worse. I wonder if the owners of said lights just don't realize they could initiate a head-on - in which they themselves might be involved?

DD
Old 12-31-20, 08:25 PM
panzerwagon 
Garage tetris expert

Bikes: A few. Ok, a lot

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 691 Times in 328 Posts
This is ridiculously subjective, but bikes painted black. The palette of available colors is so vast, that choosing black makes utterly no sense to me. The same issue exists in cars today. Just compare with photos of the highways in the 60s-70s-80s. Now all you can see on the highways is black, white, and some shade of gray. We can’t all be secret agents, can we? And don’t even get me started about matte black.
Likes For panzerwagon:
Old 12-31-20, 08:41 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Originally Posted by Drillium Dude
And yeah, badly-adjusted headlights which can cause momentary blindness is even worse. I wonder if the owners of said lights just don't realize they could initiate a head-on - in which they themselves might be involved?
DD
@rhm came up with a solution which I helped him implement.

Old 12-31-20, 08:49 PM
beicster 

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 360 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 186 Posts
Originally Posted by SJX426
Front brake on the left side. Who's crazy idea was that? When did that become popular because back in the day, 1960's early 70's, I remember having bikes with the brake lever on the right for the front. Dave Moulton always mounts his on the right too. Aligns with the placement on motorcycles.
I can understand if you are dominantly a south paw, otherwise it doesn't make sense. The first side pull I remember having the cable on the right was Campagnolo. All the others, and they were probably lower-end, were on the left. Of course BIMD center pulls were the brake configuration of choice with the design of dual pivots.
Oddly, when I was riding bicycles and motorcycles a lot, I never had trouble remembering that the front brake lever was in different places on each. I figured it was the fact that throttle was on the right side on motorcycles and that kept it front of mind.
Old 12-31-20, 08:59 PM
Slightspeed

Bikes: 1964 Legnano Roma Olympiade, 1973 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Peugeot PR10, 2002 Specialized Allez, 2007 Specialized Roubaix, 2013 Culprit Croz Blade

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 818 Times in 421 Posts
Downtube shifters, first.
Old school toe clips, straps and cleats, honorable mention.
I'm down to one downtube shifter bike now. I can live with that. Actually I bought a set of Suntour bar end shifters for it, but another bike came along that needed them more. Well, you get the idea.
I keep around a set of Campy quills, straps and toe clips, but have re-soled my Vittoria cleated shoes with ribbed rubber soles. To be used only for the occasional Eroica, if and when it comes around again. Otherwise its mtn SPDs for me.
Old 12-31-20, 08:59 PM
obrentharris 

Bikes: Indeed!

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 1506 Post(s)
Liked 3,461 Times in 1,129 Posts
Worse yet - flashing headlights. When did headlights become a warning sign instead of a way to light the road ahead of you? Very distracting to everyone approaching them. Also flashing tail lights.

The Germans have it figured out - I understand they're outlawed there.
Hah!
I'm not the only one.

My other pet peeves:
White socks. We had to wear them if we wanted to race in the seventies. I've disliked them ever since.
Silent freewheels, freehubs. I enjoy the sound as it modulates up and down with differences in speed.
CO2 inflators.

Brent
Old 12-31-20, 09:07 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Originally Posted by obrentharris
CO2 inflators.
Brent
I've stopped at least 4 times to help someone inflate a tire when their CO2 cartridge malfunctioned/didn't know how to use them. Tubeless? Yeah, I guess, but all 4 of those times were road bikes.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.