Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Threads on steerer stripped/crushed - solutions?

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 10-14-22, 12:44 PM
the sci guy 
bill nyecycles

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 789 Post(s)
Liked 350 Times in 190 Posts

So I was constantly having to reset my headset after every day or riding and I finally just pulled the whole thing apart and when I did I found the spacer (the one with the little tooth that sits in the groove on the back of the threaded steerer) was jammed into the threads and stuck in place - so every time I tried to tighten or loosen the headset it wasn’t really doing what it should - and probably was making the jam worse.

My question is what do I do about these threads on the steerer. It’s my daily commuter and it’s an ‘84 Raleigh Sportif. See pics.

should I just try to swap around the order of the spacers on the steerer so the notch engages further down and just screw them locknut down over the busted threads?

Old 10-14-22, 01:52 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1943 Post(s)
Liked 2,163 Times in 1,322 Posts
I’d clean the steerer threads and remove the notch from the spacer.

The keyway and keyed washer is nice to have but not necessary. You’ll need to use 2 wrenches to adjust, but not any different than adjusting cup/cone hubs.

John
Old 10-14-22, 02:00 PM
Moe Zhoost
Half way there

Bikes: Many, and the list changes frequently

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 985 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 526 Posts
You can clean those threads up with a file if you're careful. Better to run a die to reshape the threads, though. A decent shop or co-op should have the proper tool. The tabbed washer will re-damage the threads if installed in the same position. If you're lucky enough to have enough stem to require an additional spacer, I'd swap them. Otherwise, use a non-tabbed spacer as previously suggested.
Old 10-14-22, 02:05 PM
UnCruel 

Bikes: Trek Émonda SL 5, Trek Checkpoint SL 5, Giant Trance X 2, Trek Farley

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 52 Posts
They aren't cheap, but Park Tool sells thread cutting/chasing dies specifically for forks. There are also hand files made specifically for repairing threads.
Likes For UnCruel:
Old 10-14-22, 02:51 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1943 Post(s)
Liked 2,163 Times in 1,322 Posts
Keep in mind that you are only cleaning the threads for the upper cup; which you have already removed. Check the cup threads to make sure they are not damaged.

The locknut won’t thread down to that section.

John
Old 10-14-22, 03:00 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5764 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,404 Posts
No need to buy any special tools, or fix the threads. The headset cup has already chased the them back to form when you removed it and will improve them slightly when you replace it.

File the tab off and use the washer and you're good to go, except that IME, headsets without a key washer tend to loosen a bit more frequently.

Either live with that if it's not too annoying or consider adding a nylon thread locker to help the headset stay put.

Last edited by FBinNY; 10-14-22 at 03:04 PM.
Old 10-14-22, 03:06 PM
the sci guy 
bill nyecycles

Thanks for the input y’all. I’ll have at it this weekend and see what I can do. I’ve got extra spacers and even an extra keyed spacer too, though this one doesn’t look damaged. Will report back!
Old 10-14-22, 04:13 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3582 Post(s)
Liked 3,394 Times in 1,928 Posts

The damage doesn't look too bad. If @FBinNY's suggestion to chase the threads using the threaded cup doesn't work, a thread file should be able to clean it up enough for the cup to thread on properly.

It's much worse if the threads are damaged over the entire circumference of the steer tube, as can happen from riding with a too loose adjustment.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
thread-file.jpg (12.8 KB, 125 views)
Likes For JohnDThompson:
Old 10-14-22, 06:21 PM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1017 Post(s)
Liked 783 Times in 413 Posts
I think most LBSs have the die to chase those threads. I had it done once. I think they charged me $25 (US) to do it.

Dan
Old 10-14-22, 06:57 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

One has to consider a very important difference between chasing and cutting.

Cutting tools like files and thread dies REMOVE metal, while chasing flows metal back to the needed profile.

If the cup threads down into position, you cannot improve things with a cutting tool.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 10-15-22, 07:24 AM
macstuff 

Bikes: A Blue One and 2 Green One's, then there's the Yellow one. And oh, yeah, a Black One. Did I mention the Red One?

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 195 Times in 82 Posts
As mentioned above. I vote the same.
Filing the tooth off the register washer will solve the problem. The threads arent messed up enough to matter.
with the tooth off the washer you may need to hold the cup still with a Channel lock plier when tightening the top nut, but that's the game of age and mechanics.
Kudos for keeping an old bike going.
Old 10-15-22, 10:30 AM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3489 Post(s)
Liked 2,906 Times in 1,765 Posts
Originally Posted by macstuff
with the tooth off the washer you may need to hold the cup still with a Channel lock plier when tightening the top nut.
Please keep channel lock pliers as far away from your bike as possible. There are very few, if any, applications for such a barbaric tool in bike repair/maintenance.

Purchase if you don’t already have, and use, the correct wrench.
Likes For smd4:
Old 10-15-22, 05:04 PM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 1372 Post(s)
Liked 1,747 Times in 937 Posts
This, actually is a common problem. The tab spacer washer slips and damages the threads, as seen in the OP's picture. The fix is easy and not time consuming...

Get a small triangular smooth file and, carefully, clean up the burred areas. File a bit and then test your nut to see if it threads smoothly. Repeat until it does thread smoothly. Now, how to, hopefully, prevent it from causing damage again, when you assemble and tighten the head set.

To help prevent the tab washer from spinning into the threads, grease both sides and don't be cheap with the grease. With luck, the grease will allow the lock nut to turn/tighten without causing the tab washer to want to move with the nut. Best of luck.
Old 10-15-22, 05:15 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Quoted: 955 Post(s)
Liked 1,619 Times in 1,039 Posts
Had the same problem on an old UNIVEGA. Used a thin hack saw blade to clean up the threads. Cleaned everything off and put in a spacer without the tab. I did end up using Lock Tight to keep the set from loosing up latter on but that was overkill. I have never had a problem getting a head set to release and that's why I used the lock Tight.

By the way, I don't use Tabed Spacers anymore just for this reason...
Old 10-16-22, 07:58 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Originally Posted by smd4
Please keep channel lock pliers as far away from your bike as possible. There are very few, if any, applications for such a barbaric tool in bike repair/maintenance.
Best bicycle-use of a slip-jaw pliers is to modify it into a lockring pliers:

instructables.com/DIY-Lockring-Pliers/
Likes For JohnDThompson:
Old 10-16-22, 08:04 PM
the sci guy 
bill nyecycles

So all the 1" spacers I had were all tabbed so at first I tried flip-flopping the location of the 2 already on there, but the threads on the fork are just too soft/worn down at this point because I watched the tab on that spacer start to dig in in the new spot too.

SO, in the end, I just ended up taking that spacer out, keeping only the regular 3mm one, and just screwing down the locknut on that so there's no longer a tabbed spacer on there. I went to 2 shops today too to see if anyone had any 1" normal spacers, but came up empty so it is what it is.

We'll see how it goes after a few commutes this week.
Old 10-16-22, 08:19 PM
the sci guy 
bill nyecycles

after i cleaned the fork was able to see that the tab had done a lot more damage than I thought originally.
Old 10-16-22, 09:17 PM
FBinNY 

Originally Posted by the sci guy
SO, in the end, I just ended up taking that spacer out, keeping only the regular 3mm one, and just screwing down the locknut....
As long as the streerer is short enough for the locknut to do its job, all is OK. Otherwise, you'll need to file the tab of your spacer and use that.

FWIW - fork damage isn't usually bad luck. It's usually the result of a lazy mechanic. Finding the headset a hair tight, it's tempting to grab the lower cup and force it back a few degrees. I suspect that everyone who's worked on on enough headsets has done this at least once.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.

Last edited by FBinNY; 10-16-22 at 10:18 PM.
Old 10-17-22, 07:24 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

after i cleaned the fork was able to see that the tab had done a lot more damage than I thought originally.
It's still ok. The damage does not extend the full circumference of the steer tube, and does not affect where the threaded cup is likely to engage.
Likes For JohnDThompson:
Old 10-17-22, 09:37 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Quoted: 6200 Post(s)
Liked 4,201 Times in 2,357 Posts
A somewhat radical option would be these headset washers from Herse Cycles. It would require flattening the threads on one side of the fork but it would keep the washer from twisting.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 10-17-22, 10:07 AM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Quoted: 955 Post(s)
Liked 1,619 Times in 1,039 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
Best bicycle-use of a slip-jaw pliers is to modify it into a lockring pliers:

instructables.com/DIY-Lockring-Pliers/

Bravo... Why did I not think of this... Sheeesh...

Old 12-28-22, 07:06 PM
macstuff 

Bikes: A Blue One and 2 Green One's, then there's the Yellow one. And oh, yeah, a Black One. Did I mention the Red One?

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 195 Times in 82 Posts
Originally Posted by smd4

Purchase if you don’t already have, and use, the correct wrench.
....correct.
A person should know how to use and own correct tools for the jobs they perform. The call of the professional.
These same people, through their experience can sometimes even be trusted to use a small cabinet screwdriver to turn that Phillips head screw in a pinch, or maybe to be careful enough not to scratch things up when using a tool that may work but has the threat of damage or blood. Being a mechanical professional, I often consider people think and act like I do in relation to proper mechanical practice. I've also noticed that people mostly don't.
Along this same line, consider the tools used on and supplied with early bicycles. Spanners or "monkey wrenches" were clumsy, heavy and awkward. One wrench intended for most of the bike.
If someone doesn't have a 30+mm or large crescent wrench to fit, a common channel lock plier and convenient rag will do in a pinch. It is merely being used to hold the cup still. Many, if not most head cups are rounded and dont have a flat side to grasp as they were never intended to be grasped. In this case, considering using washers with no tooth being used as a push down, if the cone is not held, it may spin a bit creating a too tight condition.
No toothed washer, hold the cup while tightening the top nut. If the cup has no flat and wants to turn, use what you use and live with the consequences.
All of this we know.

What we dont know is the status of everyone else's tool box or how much money they have for new tools. A slip joint plier is a common tool most people have.
So in short...
Thank you for your pretentious negativity.
Much more palatable than a barbaric and commonly useful tool.
I'm just sorry you haven't yet learned how to properly use one.
With care as to the results.
Old 12-28-22, 07:31 PM
Kontact 

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 4338 Post(s)
Liked 1,522 Times in 992 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY
One has to consider a very important difference between chasing and cutting.

Cutting tools like files and thread dies REMOVE metal, while chasing flows metal back to the needed profile.

If the cup threads down into position, you cannot improve things with a cutting tool.
Disagree. Burred threads make it difficult to accurately adjust a bearing. The cutting tool removes the burrs without damaging the rest.

Even cutting a slot in a screw or nut will clean up damaged threads far better than just screwing it all back together.