Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Stop the airport!

Old 11-15-22, 05:11 AM
cjenrick

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 100 Posts
Stop the airport!

Believe it or not, they are talking about a mega airport right smack dab in the middle of one of the best bike path's in the nation.
This is in Thurston County Washington State..

Words can not describe the horror and anger I felt today as I read about this nightmarish proposal . This is a beautiful area out in the country and I do not know how anybody except the deranged and greedy people of the earth could come up with such a thing as this.

If you want to help, go to the link and send an email.

Thanks!

https://www.stoptheairport.com/

Last edited by cjenrick; 11-15-22 at 05:14 AM.
Likes For cjenrick:
Old 11-15-22, 06:31 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2738 Post(s)
Liked 3,380 Times in 2,045 Posts
FWIW 2 runways is not a "mega airport"
Likes For dedhed:
Old 11-15-22, 06:44 AM
nomadmax 

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 1,824 Times in 878 Posts
Your best bet is to do some research on the proposed site and see if there are some endangered animals or is an ancient burial ground. Barring that, be prepared to go around it on your bicycle.
Old 11-15-22, 06:57 AM
RB1-luvr
I don't know.

Bikes: '90 B'stone RB-1, '92 B'stone RB-2, '89 SuperGo Access Comp, '03 Access 69er, '23 Trek 520, '14 Ritchey Road Logic, '09 Kestrel Evoke, '08 Windsor Tourist, '17 Surly Wednesday, '89 Centurion Accordo, '15 CruX, '17 Ridley X-Night, '89 Marinoni

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 312 Post(s)
Liked 848 Times in 443 Posts
for the OP's sake, and the locals that will be impacted, I hope it is stopped and located somewhere else.
Likes For RB1-luvr:
Old 11-15-22, 07:08 AM
Reflector Guy

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito XE, Via Nirone 7, GT Aggressor Pro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked 1,271 Times in 588 Posts
Build it in someone else's back yard!
Old 11-15-22, 07:50 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10944 Post(s)
Liked 7,469 Times in 4,179 Posts
Originally Posted by cjenrick
Believe it or not, they are talking about a mega airport right smack dab in the middle of one of the best bike path's in the nation.

Words can not describe the horror and anger I felt today as I read about this nightmarish proposal . This is a beautiful area out in the country and I do not know how anybody except the deranged and greedy people of the earth could come up with such a thing as this.

Thanks!

Its an airport- I dont think anybody or anything else on earth, besides people, could come up with such a thing. Last I saw, the Prairie Dogs were getting close to completing their test plane, but that thing is trash and looks like a Wright Bros reject so they are decades away still.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 11-15-22, 07:52 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10944 Post(s)
Liked 7,469 Times in 4,179 Posts
Originally Posted by RB1-luvr
for the OP's sake, and the locals that will be impacted, I hope it is stopped and located somewhere else.
Wherever it is placed, it will impact someone negatively. Why would you hope to negatively impact others?

^ this is rhetorical. just consider it.
Old 11-15-22, 07:55 AM
RB1-luvr
I don't know.

Bikes: '90 B'stone RB-1, '92 B'stone RB-2, '89 SuperGo Access Comp, '03 Access 69er, '23 Trek 520, '14 Ritchey Road Logic, '09 Kestrel Evoke, '08 Windsor Tourist, '17 Surly Wednesday, '89 Centurion Accordo, '15 CruX, '17 Ridley X-Night, '89 Marinoni

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 312 Post(s)
Liked 848 Times in 443 Posts
I'm not hoping for that, but maybe it won't also impact the bike path. Ideally it won't be built at all.
Old 11-15-22, 07:58 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18394 Post(s)
Liked 15,467 Times in 7,308 Posts
Help us out here: Which patch would that be?
Old 11-15-22, 08:21 AM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3936 Post(s)
Liked 7,257 Times in 2,936 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Its an airport- I dont think anybody or anything else on earth, besides people, could come up with such a thing. Last I saw, the Prairie Dogs were getting close to completing their test plane, but that thing is trash and looks like a Wright Bros reject so they are decades away still.
Flying squirrels? Sugar gliders?
Old 11-15-22, 08:22 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 6928 Post(s)
Liked 10,930 Times in 4,667 Posts

Words can not describe the horror and anger I felt today as I read about this nightmarish proposal .
Originally Posted by RB1-luvr
Honest question, and I'm not looking for an argument: do either of you ever travel by air?
Likes For Koyote:
Old 11-15-22, 08:46 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6163 Post(s)
Liked 4,782 Times in 3,300 Posts
Instead of fighting to have the proposed airport put in some others back yard, why not see about getting them to include in the project improvement of the cycling infrastructure that remains and replace/relocate nearby, the cycling infrastructure that is destroyed.
Old 11-15-22, 09:15 AM
stevel610 

Bikes: Novara Safari, CAAD9, WABI Classic, WABI Thunder

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked 457 Times in 240 Posts
Yes, contact your representative and make sure re-routing of the bike path is included in the proposal. Cost is a drop in the bucket for an airport sized project.
Likes For stevel610:
Old 11-15-22, 09:20 AM
Juan Foote
LBKA (formerly punkncat)

Bikes: Spec Roubaix SL4, GT Traffic 1.0

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 2208 Post(s)
Liked 960 Times in 686 Posts
Watch Yellowstone and take notes.
Likes For Juan Foote:
Old 11-15-22, 09:39 AM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1782 Post(s)
Liked 1,620 Times in 926 Posts
Ok. Imma talk out my A here for a second, so please excuse.

There isn't enough population density or tax base in the area between Vancouver & Olympia to be financially viable with out handouts from King, Snohomish, or Pierce counties feeding the State coffers. The peoples of rural Washington living their way of life on somebody else's money need to be self sufficient & pay for the services they use.

An airport bringing in outside revenue so that the counties can operate with out taxing their local citizens the actual cost of providing services or being a drain on Olympia seems like a great idea.

If moving a bike path is the cost, so be it.

Oh, and for what it's worth: This thread, by definition, should be in P&R

Last edited by base2; 11-15-22 at 10:25 AM.
Old 11-15-22, 09:43 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,095 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by dedhed
FWIW 2 runways is not a "mega airport"

Compared to what? LaGuardia has two runways.

BTW, I think the solution here is obvious, just put a bike lane on each of the runways.
Old 11-15-22, 10:06 AM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1942 Post(s)
Liked 2,162 Times in 1,321 Posts
I don’t have an exact roadmap, but there was a successful defense of stopping the EL Toro MCAS from turning into a 24 hr international airport.

In a nutshell it was really a county issue. Beyond the environmental impacts, including infrastructure, you need a champion(s) in county government to fight for you. If all of your local representatives are pro-airport, you have a tough battle.

The battle included putting the measure on the ballot multiple times until it was defeated. It was really north county vs. south county. The sidebar to this was a massive influx of new residents into south county that eventually presented an insurmountable force.

Ironically everyone liked having the Marine base close by. It was some reassurance, real or imagined, by having ready air support in the neighborhood.

John
Old 11-15-22, 10:46 AM
phughes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 1,285 Times in 741 Posts
A bike route goes through the Pittsburgh airport. No real issue there. Get involved with the planning. Make suggestions. Make your thoughts on the matter known. I seriously doubt complaining about it on BF will help.
Likes For phughes:
Old 11-15-22, 10:50 AM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 949 Post(s)
Liked 1,617 Times in 1,038 Posts
Sounds like the times. Will ya be able to stop it? NO. Airport planing and building is most likely lined up and committed long before anyone in the general public gets any word. I think your best bet is to see that they provide a suitable Bike Path around it. Just getting that will be a challenge but it's plausible...
Old 11-15-22, 11:07 AM
skidder
Pennylane Splitter

Bikes: Yes

Quoted: 1776 Post(s)
Liked 1,433 Times in 983 Posts
Originally Posted by 70sSanO
I don’t have an exact roadmap, but there was a successful defense of stopping the EL Toro MCAS from turning into a 24 hr international airport.

In a nutshell it was really a county issue. Beyond the environmental impacts, including infrastructure, you need a champion(s) in county government to fight for you. If all of your local representatives are pro-airport, you have a tough battle.

The battle included putting the measure on the ballot multiple times until it was defeated. It was really north county vs. south county. The sidebar to this was a massive influx of new residents into south county that eventually presented an insurmountable force.

Ironically everyone liked having the Marine base close by. It was some reassurance, real or imagined, by having ready air support in the neighborhood.

John
Yeah, I remember when that happened here in Souther California/Orange County Funny thing is that area was open ranch land when the El Toro MCAS was built back in the 'Cold War' era, the land around it got developed into residential suburbs with upper-middle-class. upper class neighborhoods populated by 'business-friendly' conservatives. Then when the Marines left in the mid-1990s as part of the nationwide military re-alignment for the post-cold war era. Once word got out that it would be repurposed as a major 24hr international airport to bolster the economy (and relieve some of the pressure on LAX )the neighbors started screaming. Money and political influence changed its course and its development as open space - parkland/housing was left to the City of Irvine to manage, and its been a cluster-f ever since with lots of political shenanigans going on. . Its slowly developing, but as more of a residential area than a 'Great Park' since the City of Irvine usually give concessions on housing if they'll contribute to the 'Great Park' part of it. So far most of the park has been developed into dedicated 'one-trick-pony' sports field (soccer, baseball/softball, etc) and not much open space. I'm glad I don't live near that area anymore.

FWIW: I worked down there in the 1990s when the El Toro MCAS base was active, and there was an incredible amount of jet fighter traffic going in and out of the base on a daily basis (lot of landing and take-off practice, including carrier deck practice before actually doing carrier operations). I'm surprised there were not more complaints from the surrounding communities at that time.

Last edited by skidder; 11-15-22 at 11:22 AM.
Old 11-15-22, 11:16 AM
skidder
Pennylane Splitter

Bikes: Yes

Quoted: 1776 Post(s)
Liked 1,433 Times in 983 Posts

Thanks!

Since you didn't put any info on where Thurston County is, and your link doesn't work for me, and why a new airport is being proposed, I had to look up a few things (your link doesn't work). Its the county where Olympia (the state capital) is located, and there's already a small airport at the south end of the city. Is the proposal to expand that airport or build a new one outside the city limits and some distance from Olympia? Use bigger planes at this airport? And including a 'petition to stop the airport is probably better put in the most-appropriate regional forum near the top of the BF opening page.
Old 11-15-22, 11:45 AM
Bald Paul

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 814 Post(s)
Liked 1,643 Times in 774 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
BTW, I think the solution here is obvious, just put a bike lane on each of the runways.
I bet some new PRs could be set on that if they become a Strava segment!

Likes For Bald Paul:
Old 11-15-22, 11:48 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Originally Posted by stevel610
Yes, contact your representative and make sure re-routing of the bike path is included in the proposal. Cost is a drop in the bucket for an airport sized project.
That would be the smartest thing to do.
Likes For rydabent:
Old 11-15-22, 11:52 AM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3220 Post(s)
Liked 2,043 Times in 1,169 Posts
I always get annoyed when a NIMBY group like this just simply mis-states the facts. "Thousands of families displaced". Hardly. There are not thousands in the area who could possibly be mis-placed. This kind of mis-information always hurts your cause.

I get that nobody local wants an expanded airport. Problem is you move to an area where an airport exists, well you are going to hear noise and it's not going to get better unless some government official decides the airport isn't needed or useful and decided to close it. Don't see that happening here.

Curious as to why they need to expand ?, are they hoping some major airline (Southwest, Alaska) is going to add the place to a flight schedule ?. More commercial ?, maybe ANG ?.
Old 11-15-22, 11:54 AM
jadmt

Bikes: Handsome xoxo, Serotta atx, Canyon Endurace CF8

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 902 Post(s)
Liked 1,869 Times in 840 Posts

at least those solar powered planes will be quiet

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.