Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

A bit intimidated

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-22, 10:24 PM
MikePFlyFish

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 7 Posts
A bit intimidated

I have to admit, everything I've read and watched (YouTube) these last few weeks on bikes, components, maintenance, upgrades, tool kits for trips, has got me kind of intimidated. Even things like seats (now saddles), and tires, and brakes have got me worried about venturing too far from home. In my youth, we would be miles from home with nothing...turn the bike upside down to put the chain back on, fix the master link, maybe use a Swiss Army knife to adjust the brakes? Now bikes seem so advanced and sensitive to any variance from perfect setup....I feel like I need to bring a tool chest along with me when we finally get to start riding in the spring.
Likes For MikePFlyFish:
Old 12-15-22, 10:26 PM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1349 Post(s)
Liked 1,243 Times in 621 Posts
Where do you Ride?

Old 12-15-22, 10:28 PM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

2,000 mile month.
Carry Everything I might need.
5 Spare tubes, One Tire. CO2 and a Pump. NO CELL Phone. Rain Jacket. Front and Rear Lights for DAY Safety. Marine Air Horn to Stop Dog Bites.

Last edited by 10 Wheels; 12-15-22 at 11:50 PM. Reason: add
Likes For 10 Wheels:
Old 12-15-22, 10:35 PM
MikePFlyFish

Originally Posted by 10 Wheels
Where do you Ride?
Nowhere yet. Just purchased a bike over the Cyber Week sales and it's waiting for me to pickup at the local shop.
Likes For MikePFlyFish:
Old 12-15-22, 10:36 PM
rollagain
Lopsided biped

Bikes: 2017 Day 6 Cyclone (the Buick); 2015 Simcoe Deluxe (the Xebec); Street Strider 3i (the not-a-bike); GreenSpeed Anura (the Black Swan)

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked 160 Times in 97 Posts
Ah, the Wonder Years, when the only bike tools you needed were a large flat-bladed screwdriver and a crescent wrench. Loved it.

Don't worry so much; just ride and enjoy yourself. If you can't stop worrying, enjoy yourself anyway; just don't ride farther than you can walk home.
Likes For rollagain:
Old 12-15-22, 10:40 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 996 Post(s)
Liked 1,203 Times in 689 Posts
Aside from flat tires, other mechanicals are rare, and nowadays we have cell phones and rideshare apps.
Old 12-15-22, 10:41 PM
MikePFlyFish

Originally Posted by rollagain
Ah, the Wonder Years, when the only bike tools you needed were a large flat-bladed screwdriver and a crescent wrench. Loved it.

Don't worry so much; just ride and enjoy yourself. If you can't stop worrying, enjoy yourself anyway; just don't ride farther than you can walk home.
Or farther than being able to walk back to the car I guess.

@10Wheels - Holy cow! 2K mile month? I only did 5K miles in the last year on my car!
Old 12-15-22, 10:50 PM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

2009 Tour. I beat my Car every year. 15,923 miles that year.

Last edited by 10 Wheels; 12-15-22 at 10:53 PM. Reason: add
Likes For 10 Wheels:
Old 12-15-22, 10:56 PM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Likes For 10 Wheels:
Old 12-15-22, 11:15 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4335 Post(s)
Liked 3,958 Times in 2,646 Posts
They have always been saddles...LOL. I wouldn't worry, all you really need is maybe a flat repair kit and a multi tool and a phone or some money. If you keep your bike maintained or let the shop do it regularly you shouldn't have many problems. A well cared for bike with new parts when needed and proper torque and care of bolts and bearings and such you will generally be fine. People do worry a lot and unless you are touring or riding really long distances into less populated areas you don't need to carry a whole lot and really more importantly you need to know how to use what you carry. Otherwise just call a willing friend or rideshare or take a bus or rail or something like that.

Enjoy the bike ride the hell out of it and relax everything will be fine.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 12-15-22, 11:40 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2571 Post(s)
Liked 5,603 Times in 2,907 Posts
Please don’t be intimidated by The Real Fred’s unreal tool box on the back of his bike. He is the exception and not the rule. There are just a few easy to use basics which will fit in a small pouch (under the saddle bag) which you should carry. There are a few threads about essential tools you should carry. What I have carried for the past 30 years which have never left me stranded:
- 2 tire levers
- multi-tool with Allen wrenches, flat and Philips screwdrivers
- patch kit
- spare tube
- dollar bill (if your tube gets a large cut - fold the bill inside the tire to cover the cut)

of course you will need a tire pump - there are some mini-pumps which can fit in a jersey pocket. Or you can get a CO2 inflator and a couple of tubes.

The most important thing is to practice removing your wheels and taking the tires and tubes off your bikes before you get a flat an have to in the wild. It will make all the difference.

All of that stuff fits in the bags under my seats:

There are plenty of YouTube How videos on removing and patching tires. View those and practice.

Last edited by rsbob; 12-15-22 at 11:46 PM.
Likes For rsbob:
Old 12-15-22, 11:55 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4335 Post(s)
Liked 3,958 Times in 2,646 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob

It is a shame those bike pictures were taken from the wrong side would love to see the top one especially. However they are both pretty but I do love a bike in Celeste green. Remember the rules always take it from the drive side unless the non-drive side is really spectacular and align you valve stems at 12 o'clock and the cranks usually at 3 o'clock or with the chain stay though I can forgive that one if you are using the crank to hold the bike up with say a helmet or bottle or something like that. Really the drive side is important and is the sexiest part of the bike.

A note on CO2 it is good extra back up to have just in case but a pump will do you better. CO2 is a smaller molecule so it will leave the tire faster so generally you will need to remove air and repump when you get home and will probably have lost some air depending on your ride. You can still take it as it is quick to inflate tires (though does get cold so don't hold on to the canister with naked hands) but a pump is always good to have. A bigger pump is easier to use and honestly when you are stuck by the side of the road easier to use will trump mini pump in your back pocket always but a mini pump can still work and is better than nothing but a Topeak Road Morph G is a life saver and for a brief unfortunate bit was my floor pump as well as I couldn't decide what pump I wanted and my old cheap whatever pump had gone kaput. A dark couple weeks but worked well.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 12-16-22, 12:08 AM
RCMoeur 
Cantilever believer

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 529 Post(s)
Liked 1,808 Times in 819 Posts
Originally Posted by 10 Wheels
Gets mighty warm on I-10 in these parts in August. And then hopefully a drenching monsoon storm. Seems like most Southern Tier (or similar) riders come through in the spring and fall to catch the nicer weather - not so many in the summer. But at least the humidity out here in the summer is slightly lower than that found east of the 100th meridian.
Old 12-16-22, 12:09 AM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

I have had Five Rides with 3 Flats. I also loan tubes for Riders that Only Carry One Spare Tube. Had Two rides where the tire was Torn.

Last edited by 10 Wheels; 12-16-22 at 12:32 AM.
Old 12-16-22, 12:11 AM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Originally Posted by RCMoeur
Gets mighty warm on I-10 in these parts in August. And then hopefully a drenching monsoon storm. Seems like most Southern Tier (or similar) riders come through in the spring and fall to catch the nicer weather - not so many in the summer. But at least the humidity out here in the summer is slightly lower than that found east of the 100th meridian.
We did that ride in The Heat of a Hot Summer. CA 112*F was the Hottest.

Old 12-16-22, 02:48 AM
Frkl
Must be symmetrical

Bikes: ... but look, they're all totally different!

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked 186 Times in 102 Posts
Originally Posted by MikePFlyFish
Nowhere yet. Just purchased a bike over the Cyber Week sales and it's waiting for me to pickup at the local shop.
One obvious solution would be to just not put up with bikes that have all this complexity. I don't.

You could get a Rivendell, if you like the style and have the funds, or you could get a really nice used bike from the mechanical era of cycling, say into the late 1990s (at this point, there is enough in common with current bikes that finding replacement parts isn't difficult). I don't know the US market but in Europe there are numerous brands that sell new bikes rigid or with suspension (if that's your thing), rim brakes, mechanical shifting, quick releases, and hex fasteners, all of which means that a simple multitool, 2 tire irons, a pump, and a spare tube are pretty much all you need day to day. And these bikes are easy to understand and work on yourself.

I carry have a Park MT01 on my commute (and you should always have a pocket knife, of course). This is about as simple as it gets and honestly and I have never not been able to fix things enough to get there and back. I carry a bit more when in the woods or countryside, but it all fits in a small saddlepack. I can't remember when the last time I got a flat on my commute bike was, so I have gotten lazy about carrying a tube and pump day to day.
Likes For Frkl:
Old 12-16-22, 03:29 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4388 Post(s)
Liked 4,828 Times in 2,984 Posts
Now bikes seem so advanced and sensitive to any variance from perfect setup.....
In what way are they sensitive? Can't say I've experienced that. Modern drivetrains are largely set and forget. I also have a lot less (practically zero) flats with decent tubeless tyres. All I carry on rides is a mini multi-tool, mini-pump, tubeless repair kit and a spare chain link. On very long rides I might carry a spare tube.
Old 12-16-22, 06:35 AM
BTinNYC 

Bikes: Bicycles? Yup.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 477 Post(s)
Liked 1,562 Times in 728 Posts
I have to admit, everything I've read and watched (YouTube) these last few weeks on bikes...has got me kind of intimidated.
The cycling world changed while us Rip Van Winkles slept. Interchangeable parts is a memory. Some derailleurs have electric motors and batteries that need charging. Hydraulic disc brakes!

That being said, my new bike has been a pleasure both for riding comfort and ease of maintenance. I'm sure yours will be too.

A small kit with 3 hex keys, a spare tube and a mini pump got me through year 1 without a hitch.
Likes For BTinNYC:
Old 12-16-22, 07:10 AM
RB1-luvr
I don't know.

Bikes: '90 B'stone RB-1, '92 B'stone RB-2, '89 SuperGo Access Comp, '03 Access 69er, '23 Trek 520, '14 Ritchey Road Logic, '09 Kestrel Evoke, '08 Windsor Tourist, '17 Surly Wednesday, '89 Centurion Accordo, '15 CruX, '17 Ridley X-Night, '89 Marinoni

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 315 Post(s)
Liked 851 Times in 445 Posts
to the OP, start with short rides, just a couple of miles. Your confidence will increase with each added mile (hopefully). I hope riding becomes an enjoyable time for you.
Likes For RB1-luvr:
Old 12-16-22, 07:20 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
I can understand what the OP is saying. It's not just riding your bike anymore. You have to worry about what clothes to wear, what lube to use, whether to wave or not, FTP, Strava, etc. What happened to just riding your bike on a nice day?

I had a dream a few months ago. I'm 57 years old. In the dream, a (former) BF member and I were out riding bikes. We were adults, but dressed in the clothes and riding the single speed bikes from my early youth. We were just having fun exploring the countryside and having an adventure. It was a great dream. I sometimes wonder what that dream was telling me. It also makes me think of this song. Just keep it simple, folks.

https://www.google.com/search?client...id:lxp2NrlcPYU
Likes For seypat:
Old 12-16-22, 07:35 AM
Chuck Naill

Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked 184 Times in 120 Posts
[QUOTE=seypat;22740826]I can understand what the OP is saying. It's not just riding your bike anymore. You have to worry about what clothes to wear, what lube to use, whether to wave or not, FTP, Strava, etc. What happened to just riding your bike on a nice day?

I had a dream a few months ago. I'm 57 years old. In the dream, a (former) BF member and I were out riding bikes. We were adults, but dressed in the clothes and riding the single speed bikes from my early youth. We were just having fun exploring the countryside and having an adventure. It was a great dream. I sometimes wonder what that dream was telling me. It also makes me think of this song. Just keep it simple, folks.

I like your dream and am that person who just enjoys riding. I can't wait to get on the bike today.
Likes For Chuck Naill:
Old 12-16-22, 08:04 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4388 Post(s)
Liked 4,828 Times in 2,984 Posts
Originally Posted by seypat
I can understand what the OP is saying. It's not just riding your bike anymore. You have to worry about what clothes to wear, what lube to use, whether to wave or not, FTP, Strava, etc. What happened to just riding your bike on a nice day?
It's not so much that modern bikes are really more complicated (in some ways they require less maintenance e.g. sealed bearings, less cables, electronic gear indexing, tubeless tyres, 1x drivetrains etc). It's actually the information overload on forums like this that makes everything appear more complicated. You can still just ride if you want to.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 12-16-22, 08:16 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
The problem is the commitments you have to make and the decisions you have to make after that. Drivetrains don't mix and most of the stuff isn't backwards compatible even within a brand. That makes it complicated. So, you either become a SRAM, or Shimano, or Campy rider. Once you've made that decision, you go from there and live with it. I can see how someone can be intimidated.

Last edited by seypat; 12-16-22 at 08:26 AM.
Likes For seypat:
Old 12-16-22, 08:20 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
I have to admit, everything I've read and watched (YouTube) these last few weeks on bikes, components, maintenance, upgrades, tool kits for trips, has got me kind of intimidated. Even things like seats (now saddles), and tires, and brakes have got me worried about venturing too far from home. In my youth, we would be miles from home with nothing...turn the bike upside down to put the chain back on, fix the master link, maybe use a Swiss Army knife to adjust the brakes? Now bikes seem so advanced and sensitive to any variance from perfect setup....I feel like I need to bring a tool chest along with me when we finally get to start riding in the spring.

Don't turn the bike upside down to put the chain back on (on its side is fine), and you'll be ok. Like pretty much everyone is saying, if you have the stuff you need to fix a flat with you, you're probably better off venturing far than you would've been in the "good old days".
Old 12-16-22, 08:22 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by seypat

https://www.google.com/search?client...id:lxp2NrlcPYU

I think nostalgia lets us forget times we had to walk our bikes really far.
Likes For livedarklions:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.