Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Best overall bike you ever rode, bar none. One choice only.

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Best overall bike you ever rode, bar none. One choice only.

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-22, 03:44 PM
jadmt

Bikes: Handsome xoxo, Serotta atx, Canyon Endurace CF8

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 904 Post(s)
Liked 1,897 Times in 849 Posts
Originally Posted by Eric F
That is a completely subjective opinion.
show me a cf bike that even comes close......
Old 10-25-22, 03:48 PM
USAZorro
Señor Member

Bikes: Mostly English - predominantly Raleighs

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 1491 Post(s)
Liked 1,090 Times in 638 Posts
The only way I can come at this is to ask myself - "which of the bicycles that I have would be the one I'd keep if I had to get rid of the others?" That brings the number quickly down to two... but which one? I've put plenty more miles on one than the other, and honestly, if you asked me the same question a week from now, I might change my mind. The deciding factors of why I'd say this, rather than the 1972 Fuji Finest are nimbleness and nostalgia. They have the same fittings, they have similar clearance, shifting and range of gearing. Both are set up with bar-end shifters and they weigh very close to the same. The nod goes to...

I have changed pretty much nothing but the wheels since sloar was kind enough to pass it along to me a few years ago. My plan is to keep it in essentially this configuration until I'm able to get to Cino and ride it there. After that, I might decide it needs 32's and mud guards, but we'll see.
Old 10-25-22, 03:57 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4944 Post(s)
Liked 8,084 Times in 3,825 Posts
Originally Posted by jadmt
show me a cf bike that even comes close......
Close to what? You prefer the look of straight steel tubes. I prefer the appearance of the shapes and curves possible with modern CF technology. These are subjective opinions, and neither is more right than the other to anyone except ourselves.
Old 10-25-22, 04:33 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Quoted: 4944 Post(s)
Liked 8,084 Times in 3,825 Posts
At 19 years old, this doesn't exactly make it into the C&V category, but it is - without a doubt - the best riding bike I've been on. My newer Storck road bike is lighter, quicker, and exciting, but the handling is not nearly as predictable and sure-footed as my old Time.
Old 10-26-22, 01:00 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10955 Post(s)
Liked 7,485 Times in 4,187 Posts
Of course it's subjective. The poster is sure that one style looks better than another style. That is clearly subjective.
Do you tell everyone that their opinions are subjective right after they say something?
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 12-24-22, 12:06 PM
AdventureManCO 
The Huffmeister

Bikes: '79 Trek 938, '86 Jim Merz Allez SE, '90 Miyata 1000, '68 PX-10, '80 PXN-10, '73 Super Course, '87 Guerciotti, '83 Trek 600, '80 Huffy Le Grande

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 1225 Post(s)
Liked 3,543 Times in 1,407 Posts
Back to the top! Still interested in hearing about others' great rides!
Old 12-24-22, 12:33 PM
BFisher

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 767 Post(s)
Liked 1,898 Times in 889 Posts
As much as I enjoy variety and appreciate the different characteristics of all of my bikes, current and past, none of them beat this one. None.
Smooth - hot butter on glass. Just glides along like a thoroughbred.
Precise - It'll take corners faster than I can push it. It just goes where I want it to. No extra effort to keep it steady through the curves.
Fast - I know, I know; bikes aren't fast. Riders are. But it always seems easier to go faster on this one than the others. She was born to boogie.
Comfortable - Maybe most important of all. This bike is the opposite of harsh.
They have their detractors for various reasons. I understand that. But as far as ride quality goes, one would be hard pressed to beat one of these. Ernesto got the design right.
Likes For BFisher:
Old 12-24-22, 01:15 PM
obrentharris 

Bikes: Indeed!

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 1507 Post(s)
Liked 3,473 Times in 1,132 Posts
No contest. The best bike I ever rode was this one, my first bike and my ticket to explore the big world beyond my immediate neighborhood.

Brent
Old 12-24-22, 01:46 PM
georges1
Steel is real

Bikes: 1992Giant Tourer,1992MeridaAlbon,1996Scapin,1998KonaKilaueua,1993Peugeot Prestige,1991RaleighTeamZ(to be upgraded),1998 Jamis Dragon,1992CTWallis(to be built),1998VettaTeam(to be built),1995Coppi(to be built),1993Grandis(to be built)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 669 Post(s)
Liked 970 Times in 644 Posts
My 1993 Peugeot in Reynolds 708 classic tubing that will get a full 7700/7800 dura ace 10speed upgrade. It is smooth, lively and comfy

My 1991 Raleigh in Reynolds 753 for which I will buy a new pair of wheels
Likes For georges1:
Old 12-24-22, 02:05 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4511 Post(s)
Liked 6,378 Times in 3,667 Posts
Originally Posted by BFisher
As much as I enjoy variety and appreciate the different characteristics of all of my bikes, current and past, none of them beat this one. None.
Smooth - hot butter on glass. Just glides along like a thoroughbred.
Precise - It'll take corners faster than I can push it. It just goes where I want it to. No extra effort to keep it steady through the curves.
Fast - I know, I know; bikes aren't fast. Riders are. But it always seems easier to go faster on this one than the others. She was born to boogie.
Comfortable - Maybe most important of all. This bike is the opposite of harsh.
They have their detractors for various reasons. I understand that. But as far as ride quality goes, one would be hard pressed to beat one of these. Ernesto got the design right.
My bikes are fast, I am not.

So I know when one of them is fast, several are.

Some ride much better if not faster, the Merz's all ride much better than most.

The BG too, it is one of the most drastic examples as it is small yet rides so well for odd geometry.

It, the big silver Merz and Dave Levy's magic begat this and it is the best so far.

Likes For merziac:
Old 12-24-22, 08:57 PM
darkmoon
Japan Tourism Bureau

Bikes: Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra Molteni 2005, Colnago Master X-light Mapei 2020

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked 733 Times in 208 Posts
When I was a high school kid, I was hooked by the greatest man.

I wanted one.
It has been a grail.
47 years later, I got one.
What could I say?
Satisfaction, or the last bike I would sell, or a dream comes true.

Eddy Merckx, Molteni orange, corsa extra

Old 12-25-22, 02:39 PM
cocoabeachcrab 
Myrtle Beach Crab

Bikes: enough one would think, but thinking isn't my strong point

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 271 Post(s)
Liked 541 Times in 214 Posts
when i was in the USAF stationed in NH back in the mid 70's, i bought an austro daimler ADSL but really wanted the vent noir, but on an airman's pay, that was not gonna happen. a week later, i went back to the bike shop and asked (begged) if i could trade the now used bike for the vent noir, and the guy took pity on me after he told me about his son being stationed in Thailand as a crew chief on F-111a models ( i was a SAC trained killer working on FB-111's at Pease) and he made me a deal to do payments. that vent noir was orgasmic to ride, and a buddy and i rode 20 or 30 miles every day for next few years before we both got orders... he went to iceland to crew f-4's at a fighter interceptor squadron, and i went to Clark AB in the philipines and ended up working on old mid 50's t-33's at base flight. i sold that bike before i left the states but ended up finding it again a few years ago as just a frame and brakes through a friend who still lives just south of the base. i can't seem to want to put it all back together for some reason... maybe i just don't want to find out that i'm old now. i have all the parts in a box... that bike was a bit too small for me, but when you are in your 20's, immortal and superhuman, that didn't seem to matter then. we would stop at the newcastle coastguard station and smoke a doober at the old fort, and finish the second half of the ride motivated in Ferrari mode...
Likes For cocoabeachcrab:
Old 12-25-22, 02:56 PM
Oldairhead 
RUSA #3100

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Liked 505 Times in 181 Posts
My Pegoretti Palo Santo!
Old 12-25-22, 03:15 PM
geoffr

Bikes: Bridgestone XO-1, Ritchey Logic Road, Bridgestone MB-2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
Ritchey Road Logic. Like a lot of guys my age, I had stopped riding as soon as I got a drivers license. I started again at almost 40, and the Ritchey was my second road bike. I've owned it since 1997, and last year finally upgraded it from 8 speed to 10 speed so I could have smaller gears. All my other bikes, when I ride them, I think, "Oh, yeah! That's why I have this bike!", but the Ritchey is the only one where I think, "If I only had this one bike that would be okay."
I have the same Ritchey, with 8 speed Ultegra. Tied as a favorite with my XO-1.
Likes For geoffr:
Old 12-25-22, 03:47 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,928 Times in 2,553 Posts
Last summer I bought "that" frame from a forum mate. 1983 Miyata Pro. My 1976 Fuli Professional I raced and loved, only grown up to the best narrow tubes, geometry a tiny bit more "normal" and fully evolved and dialed in. (Identical braze-on decisions except SunTour Auto-trim; the feature I wanted in 1977 so I wouldn't hit those DT shifters climbing walls out of the saddle. Just DT WB bosses so again, that ST bottle is clamped on. 126 7-speed.)

Set it up Cyclone derailleurs and brakes. A slightly newer Campy triple. 13-26 FW. Just plain wow! Pure race with perfect manners. I have no idea how fast is too fast on this bike and I'll never see it. 50 isn't remotely close.

You may never see pictures. Visually it's a mess. Spent real time outdoors. I don't believe tubes are compromised but there is plenty of rust to be seen. It wears a SS Ace Hardware bolt and nut for a seatpin; those thread stripping after my second ride. And the RD also has a history. Parallelagram spring is shot. Got a nice, matching blue bungie wrapped around it to help out. Shifts like the famous Cyclone dream. (Poster who sold the frame had excellent photos. Nothing was a surprise. Well I didn't know of those threads but it was a given there'd be an issue or two.)
Old 12-25-22, 05:32 PM
Oldairhead 
RUSA #3100

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Liked 505 Times in 181 Posts
Old 12-25-22, 09:13 PM
lasauge 
Pedalin' Erry Day

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 763 Post(s)
Liked 367 Times in 198 Posts
My answer to this is that the contenders in my mind are all the bikes I've commuted on over the years. I've had some really nice road bikes and mountain bikes, but in the 'overall' sense a bike that's practically useful for going places and carrying things always wins out in my mind against bikes solely meant for recreational use. If I could only have one bike, it would have to be a practical bike that's also fun to ride. Limiting myself again to C&V, because my ultra modern commuting bike is superior in all respects but not very interesting to talk about here, I'd go with this Trek 870. In addition to handling year round commuting duty (I never had any problems with the U-brakes in snow) it was really fun to ride on gravel roads and could handle some trail use. And while not the fastest road bike, it was really fun on pavement too, and had good handling even with panniers on the back. I liked this so much that I had it powdercoated in 2017. Sadly it was stolen in 2019 and never recovered.

Likes For lasauge:
Old 12-26-22, 09:28 AM
romperrr 
Pedal to the medal

Bikes: 1991 Team Miyata Track, 1992 Lemond Alpe d'Huez, 19?? Schwinn High Serra, 1982 Trek 614, 198X Raleigh Alyeska

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked 205 Times in 131 Posts
Originally Posted by lasauge
My answer to this is that the contenders in my mind are all the bikes I've commuted on over the years. I've had some really nice road bikes and mountain bikes, but in the 'overall' sense a bike that's practically useful for going places and carrying things always wins out in my mind against bikes solely meant for recreational use. If I could only have one bike, it would have to be a practical bike that's also fun to ride. Limiting myself again to C&V, because my ultra modern commuting bike is superior in all respects but not very interesting to talk about here, I'd go with this Trek 870. In addition to handling year round commuting duty (I never had any problems with the U-brakes in snow) it was really fun to ride on gravel roads and could handle some trail use. And while not the fastest road bike, it was really fun on pavement too, and had good handling even with panniers on the back. I liked this so much that I had it powdercoated in 2017. Sadly it was stolen in 2019 and never recovered.

Sorry to hear someone stole your bike; glad to hear you had many good miles and smiles on it
Old 12-26-22, 11:01 AM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1856 Post(s)
Liked 664 Times in 506 Posts
Originally Posted by romperrr
Sorry to hear someone stole your bike; glad to hear you had many good miles and smiles on it
My pick is my 1984-ish Mondonico. No model name, no tubing sticker, no formal sizing info, only the frame, the parts, and the ride!

Edit 3/16/2013: The same bike is still my favorite. About a year before Covid began, I had a crash on the MUP. I ran off the road at about 15 mph, ran into some rocky peices of nature, did an endo after a header into the rocks, landed on some gentle soft grass, then felt the intact bike gently land its 20# on top of me. My Giro was beyond repair, and the DT and TT were crumpled at the head tube, paint matched and restored, and the bike came back after several months. Riding it it felt too quick and I concluded the rebuilt head angle is a bit too steep. However the alignment is good and it rides very supple, so I just kept riding it. Its still a great ride, one of my favorites, and good for any area riding. I wish the repair had been more faithful, but I'm much more glad to have my bike back!

I'll post up some new pics soon.

1984 (or so) Mondonico, Columbus tubing, tubulars, Campy 3x10.

Last edited by Road Fan; 03-15-23 at 04:33 PM. Reason: Updates to the bike over the past few years
Likes For Road Fan:
Old 12-26-22, 02:58 PM
DTSs

Bikes: Torelli Super Strada, Phase3 Stowe Tetra, Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
ticks all the boxes
Likes For DTSs:
Old 12-26-22, 04:51 PM
CMAW 
Pining for the fjords

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 150 Posts
The Deda Zero Basso I suppose:

Old 03-14-23, 07:29 PM
sthurman

Bikes: Always changing. "Keepers": 1972 Colnago Super, 1984 De Rosa, 1974 Masi GC

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 23 Posts
Woodrup Cycles

I am obsessed with riding this bike since building it up. By far the best riding bike in my life. Super compact racing geometry (I can barely fit 23mm tires in rear!), Cinelli fork crown, lovely Ellis style seat cluster, Reynolds 531C. Feels like butter, turns on a dime, but somehow exceedingly stable especially at speed. Just incredible. I wish I knew more about the frame (got it off ebay). Here it is!

Built up with Shimano 600 8sp group. Suntour superbe pro pedals. Cinelli stem/bars. 70s Brooks Professional.

For comparison, I have owned/ridden 80s De Rosa Professional, Merckx Corsa Extra, Masi 3V, Gios compact, Colnago Super, Medici Pro Strada, 90s Tommasini Sintesi. All great bikes. Until the Woodrup ended up in my possession would say the Tommasini was the best overall ride.

Last edited by sthurman; 03-14-23 at 07:43 PM. Reason: Fix typos
Likes For sthurman:
Old 03-14-23, 08:25 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Mentioned: 255 Post(s)
Quoted: 2588 Post(s)
Liked 4,824 Times in 1,709 Posts
The one I rode yesterday:

(although not in this configuration - and I didn't ride today)

DD
Likes For Drillium Dude:
Old 03-14-23, 08:44 PM
VintageSteelEU

Bikes: Motobecane C41, Matsu$hita Nashonaru

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 432 Times in 253 Posts
Originally Posted by sthurman
I am obsessed with riding this bike since building it up. By far the best riding bike in my life. Super compact racing geometry (I can barely fit 23mm tires in rear!), Cinelli fork crown, lovely Ellis style seat cluster, Reynolds 531C. Feels like butter, turns on a dime, but somehow exceedingly stable especially at speed. Just incredible. I wish I knew more about the frame (got it off ebay). Here it is!

Built up with Shimano 600 8sp group. Suntour superbe pro pedals. Cinelli stem/bars. 70s Brooks Professional.

For comparison, I have owned/ridden 80s De Rosa Professional, Merckx Corsa Extra, Masi 3V, Gios compact, Colnago Super, Medici Pro Strada, 90s Tommasini Sintesi. All great bikes. Until the Woodrup ended up in my possession would say the Tommasini was the best overall ride.
And looks great too! I like the seat post.
Likes For VintageSteelEU:
Old 03-14-23, 09:14 PM
Kilroy1988 

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 981 Post(s)
Liked 1,844 Times in 609 Posts
I posted the 1950 Carlton Continental I had for a brief time earlier in this thread - what I liked about it was how reactive the 23" frame with pencil stays was and how cushy the 26 x 1 1/4" Dunlop steel rims paired with 1 1/2" tires were. Since then, my uncle completed the restoration of his second 1972 Raleigh Professional Mk IV (with my help to source parts) and I was able to take it out for a fast group ride last season with the tubs pumped up to 140psi and the ride was everything my old '72 Professional with a mixed bag of components used to be plus some. Super responsive, fun to sprint and maintain at speeds in excess of 30mph, it just wanted to go! I think it's my new favorite riding bike out of about thirty that I've owned and ridden during my brief cycling career of fifteen years.

-Gregory

Likes For Kilroy1988:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.