Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Weird fork eyelet - Mounting a front rack

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Weird fork eyelet - Mounting a front rack

Old 02-25-23, 08:03 AM
JoeTBM 
Droid on a mission

Bikes: Diamondback Wildwood Classic

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked 280 Times in 195 Posts
Originally Posted by ralphs
Well, these folks have spherical washers (maybe not really ideal for the curved surface) that go down to M6.
I've worked with this company for over 30 years. They have everything metric, and they know their product.
https://belmetric.com/washers/spherical-washers/
I would think that anyone that works on bikes would have a jar full of these from old v-brake pads

Last edited by JoeTBM; 02-27-23 at 01:19 AM. Reason: I can't type
Likes For JoeTBM:
Old 02-25-23, 09:11 AM
DorkDisk

Bikes: Ritchey Swiss Cross | Teesdale Kona Hot | Haro Extreme | Specialized Stumpjumper Comp | Cannondale F1000 | Shogun 1000 | Cannondale M500 | Norco Charger | Marin Muirwoods 29er | Shogun Kaze | Breezer Lightning

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 576 Post(s)
Liked 1,001 Times in 488 Posts
Boy, that bike sure isn't made for closeups.
Old 02-25-23, 12:40 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,943 Times in 1,905 Posts
Originally Posted by smasha
Kind of… Kind of not…

Part of the purpose of a washer is to distribute the forces of fasteners over a larger area. Because the face of the eyelet is curved, even a bevel washer would concentrate the forces over two smaller areas. It would create two hot-spots. This could be partly alleviated with a nylon washer. So maybe an option would be a nylon washer against the fork, then a bevel washer, then a spacer/standoff, then a flat washer against the rack's mounting flange.
https://www.mscdirect.com/product/details/85558500

https://www.amazon.com/AMF-AMF-188-T...ts_id=16410941
Old 02-25-23, 12:48 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4331 Post(s)
Liked 3,955 Times in 2,644 Posts
I'm not expecting it to be the world's best bike. The plan is to get 10+ years out of it as a city commuter and grocery bike.

I don't have too much invested in it, yet, so I'm open to suggestions for other aluminium frame/fork bikes that would lend themselves to being built up as a 700c, flat-bar, city commuter and grocery bike, with a 3x10 drive-train.

As of now, my only disappointment with this is the lower eyelets on the fork.
I don't know why aluminum. If I am looking for a more durable bike I would be looking towards steel or titanium. A Surly frame would be an easy choice but there might be some other great options in NZ.
Old 02-25-23, 03:09 PM
mitchmellow62

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 56 Times in 41 Posts
Careful us of a counterbore would create a flat surface for a washer: https://www.mcmaster.com/spot-facers/ . By the pictures, it doesn't appear it would take that much material. A hand filing wouldn't be as neat but might also work.
Likes For mitchmellow62:
Old 02-25-23, 05:11 PM
smasha
Vegan on a bicycle

Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
I don't know why aluminum. If I am looking for a more durable bike I would be looking towards steel or titanium. A Surly frame would be an easy choice but there might be some other great options in NZ.
I love the idea of a titanium bike, but I can't stomach spending $5-10k on a bike.

Without getting too much into a "steel is real" debate… Here in Wellington, seawater spray and mist is a thing. I like the idea of a bike that can gets its paint scratched, without leading to terminal failure. I like the weight of aluminium bikes. For a city commuter that's often used for short rides and often locked up for a few hours, keeping it under $1000 helps keep it mine.

Everything is compromise, and aluminium frames are part of the bicycle compromise that I'm happy with, based on my daily use. YMMV.
Old 02-25-23, 05:17 PM
smasha
Vegan on a bicycle

Originally Posted by mitchmellow62
Careful us of a counterbore would create a flat surface for a washer: https://www.mcmaster.com/spot-facers/ . By the pictures, it doesn't appear it would take that much material. A hand filing wouldn't be as neat but might also work.
That's something to think about, especially if a length of naked bolt doesn't hold up. Counterbore a face to fit a washer or spacer/standoff.

There's a local guy who does frame-building. I might want to check with him about getting that done.

I wonder if that piece of dropout below the weld is solid. Or how solid is it?
Old 02-25-23, 05:21 PM
smasha
Vegan on a bicycle

The points of contact between that and the curved face on the dropout would still be putting all of the force on two points, not spread over an area.

What it might help with would be allowing the use of a spacer/standoff, and allowing that to rest parallel with the bolt, and distribute forces in parallel with the bolt.
Old 02-25-23, 05:40 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2740 Post(s)
Liked 3,386 Times in 2,049 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
Plenty of 20 - 30 year old aluminium bikes out there running every day, not to mention cranks, wheels, etc
Likes For dedhed:
Old 02-25-23, 07:26 PM
smasha
Vegan on a bicycle

Another gotcha with this fork… On the Tubus Tara, I drew a red circle around the point where this would mount. From the edge of that mounting hole to the outer edge of the flange is 5mm at the smallest point. On the fork, the space between the bolt and the QR-nut is 5mm. A different nut could easily be different, for better or worse. That mounting hole is "generously" sized for an M5 bolt, so gravity would reduce that clearance, and push the rack flange down onto the QR-nut. Similar on the opposite end of the skewer.

This is kind of stupid.

Now I'm wondering if a frame-builder can install a braze-on eyelet at the base of the weld, above the dropouts. I'm wondering it that would be a good idea, and solve all of these problems.

Last edited by smasha; 02-25-23 at 08:05 PM.
Old 02-25-23, 07:38 PM
smasha
Vegan on a bicycle

Is this a better idea?

Old 02-25-23, 10:47 PM
Troul 

just grind the area flat enough for the rack hardware. #sendit.
Old 02-26-23, 05:17 AM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2479 Post(s)
Liked 2,947 Times in 1,673 Posts
Why not email Giant's tech support and ask them how to mount the rack?
Old 02-26-23, 05:38 AM
smasha
Vegan on a bicycle

Originally Posted by Trakhak
Why not email Giant's tech support and ask them how to mount the rack?
Is there an email address where that would actually get a response???
Old 02-26-23, 06:15 AM
Trakhak

Is there an email address where that would actually get a response???
I haven't tried it. But I once emailed Felt for support and got a helpful response the next day. I would hope Giant would do the same.

Here's their customer support page. Live chat is offered, among other options, although chat might be merely automated responses. They also offer a contact form to fill out.

https://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/contact

Last edited by Trakhak; 02-26-23 at 06:19 AM.
Old 02-26-23, 06:28 AM
Schweinhund

Bikes: a couple

Quoted: 563 Post(s)
Liked 862 Times in 455 Posts
Originally Posted by ralphs
Well, these folks have spherical washers (maybe not really ideal for the curved surface) that go down to M6.
I've worked with this company for over 30 years. They have everything metric, and they know their product.
https://belmetric.com/washers/spherical-washers/
Looks like something you could get for free off of an old set of bolt on cantilever brake pads.
Old 02-27-23, 06:22 PM
maddog34

Bikes: !982 Trek 930R Custom, Diamondback ascent with SERIOUS updates, Fuji Team Pro CF and a '09 Comencal Meta 5.5

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1299 Post(s)
Liked 739 Times in 534 Posts
Originally Posted by Schweinhund
Looks like something you could get for free off of an old set of bolt on cantilever brake pads.
V-brake pads have them in Two Different thicknesses.....and a more appropriate hole size too... 6.1 mm.
place the metal "dome" to the inside, place the Cup outside, flat side towards the rack flange.. bolt that sucker up and quit overthinking it.
Old 02-28-23, 06:20 AM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1443 Post(s)
Liked 759 Times in 568 Posts
Subject to what Giant might have to say about it, I think I would use some plastic spacers/standoffs and try to "sculpt" out one end to sort of match the contour of the mounting surface of that fork end...so the through hole of the spacer is aligned and coincident with the threaded hole in the fork end. You could do this with a small rotary tool or even a grinder. Rack and fender kits sometimes have these parts, so you may indeed have some floating around already, but you can also get them in varying lengths at hardware stores, and M5 bolts to match.

No, it won't be perfect, but it would probably work.
Likes For hokiefyd:
Old 03-03-23, 12:04 AM
smasha
Vegan on a bicycle

Update from Giant. It kind of leaves me SOL. Seems like the front-racks are only properly compatible with steel fork versions of this bike.

Sucks for me, because I bought this bike with the intention of turning it into a city/grocery bike, with front and rear racks. After putting some time, effort, and money into customising it, it looks like I may be back to the drawing board, either (a) starting from scratch with another bike, or (b) having braze-on eyelets installed on the fork. Either way, this is a disapointment.

Last edited by smasha; 03-03-23 at 01:37 AM.
Old 03-03-23, 02:01 AM
Joe Remi

Bikes: Haibike Sduro Trekking SL, Rivendell Appaloosa, Concinnity singlespeed, KHS mini velo (Japan market), Trident Spike trike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 91 Times in 74 Posts
Ok wait, this fork has mid-fork braze-ons for a low-rider rack but isn't supposed to use one??
Old 03-03-23, 03:14 AM
smasha
Vegan on a bicycle

Originally Posted by Joe Remi
Ok wait, this fork has mid-fork braze-ons for a low-rider rack but isn't supposed to use one??
tbf, the "Equipped" version/package of this bike comes with fenders, and the mid-fork eyelets are used to attach the front fender. Picture, below.

Still, the threaded eyelet near the dropouts seems unable to serve any useful purpose properly. It bears repeating: What where they thinking???

One of the weird things is that the mid-fork eyelets protrude from the fork just enough that the top mounting flange of the Giant branded Rack-It low-rider front-rack mates against it, leaving just enough room to slide a few sheets of paper between the fork and the top rail of the rack. It seems kind of beautiful in its design. It's almost like that was carefully considered. Then there's that bottom eyelet… Which only laughs at me and my hopes of turning this into a city/grocery bike.

And… The bike's specs state: Fork - Alloy, rack mount, disc​

I certainly bought this bike with the understanding that it's properly compatible with a front rack, and I had every intention of installing one.

That bottom eyelet… ​​​​​​

Last edited by smasha; 03-03-23 at 03:17 AM.
Old 03-03-23, 08:41 PM
Troul 

could you swap out the fork with one that will allow for a rack?
Old 03-05-23, 01:36 AM
Ironfish653
Dirty Heathen

Bikes: 1997 Cannondale, 1976 Bridgestone, 1998 SoftRide, 1989 Klein, 1989 Black Lightning #0033

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 889 Post(s)
Liked 906 Times in 534 Posts
Originally Posted by Joe Remi
Yes, and apparently the mfgr also designed a rack specifically for this bike, but didn’t consider that the OP might choose to use a different rack, and also include specific mounting hardware for it.

I think OP should change everything on this bike but the paint job, in order to accommodate the chosen rack in the manner he sees fit.
I mean, what else can you do, since neither the rack or the bike manufacturer considered this combination and created The Part That Does.
Old 03-05-23, 02:47 AM
Trakhak

Originally Posted by Ironfish653
Yes, and apparently the mfgr also designed a rack specifically for this bike, but didn’t consider that the OP might choose to use a different rack, and also include specific mounting hardware for it.

I think OP should change everything on this bike but the paint job, in order to accommodate the chosen rack in the manner he sees fit.
I mean, what else can you do, since neither the rack or the bike manufacturer considered this combination and created The Part That Does.
See post 44. A Giant representative admitted that that fork will not accommodate a Giant-branded front rack or any other rack that they're aware of.
Likes For Trakhak:
Old 03-05-23, 04:19 AM
Ironfish653
Dirty Heathen

Bikes: 1997 Cannondale, 1976 Bridgestone, 1998 SoftRide, 1989 Klein, 1989 Black Lightning #0033

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 889 Post(s)
Liked 906 Times in 534 Posts
Originally Posted by Trakhak
See post 44. A Giant representative admitted that that fork will not accommodate a Giant-branded front rack or any other rack that they're aware of.
Ah. I see. In post 46, OP seemed to indicate that the Giant rack mated perfectly with the mid-mounts, which aren’t really mid-mounts, but some sort of fender-specific mount. I get it now.

Guess I’ll have to give up on fitting that old Blackburn on to the front of my townie, since no one makes a hardware kit specifically for a 1976 Bridgestone.

Seriously, though, this is not a Mars lander or a Deepwater drilling rig; it’s a bicycle. This isn’t that hard.
I know we all want everything perfect, but sometimes the solution isn’t packaged, labeled and hanging on a peg behind the sales counter.
Likes For Ironfish653:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.