Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Your favorite road tubeless tires

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Your favorite road tubeless tires

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-23, 10:31 AM
Chandne

Bikes: 2022 Moots RCS, 2014 BMC SLR01 DA Mech, 2020 Santa Cruz Stigmata, Ibis Ripmo, Trek Top Fuel, Specialized Levo SL, Norco Bigfoot VLT

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 118 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
If the pros are happy to run 30 and 32 mm tyres at Paris-Roubaix then they can't be that much of a compromise on speed and certainly faster and more comfortable on rougher roads.
Certainly faster on rough roads plus on descents. The safety margin is higher. I can tell while on those fast and twisty corners I usually do near my house. I am not on the ragged edge anymore. For me it isn't about being faster on the downhills in general...it is about being safer and enjoying the corners. The improved traction and the ability to brake quickly and effectively (ever seen a deer pop out when carving at 35/40 MPH?) even though I generally am trying to go slower in these sections. The comfort is really really nice. With a larger contact patch, a bigger safety margin, and a little more compliance, it just makes cycling more enjoyable for me.
Likes For Chandne:
Old 04-19-23, 04:26 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4396 Post(s)
Liked 4,842 Times in 2,996 Posts
Originally Posted by Chandne
Certainly faster on rough roads plus on descents. The safety margin is higher. I can tell while on those fast and twisty corners I usually do near my house. I am not on the ragged edge anymore. For me it isn't about being faster on the downhills in general...it is about being safer and enjoying the corners. The improved traction and the ability to brake quickly and effectively (ever seen a deer pop out when carving at 35/40 MPH?) even though I generally am trying to go slower in these sections. The comfort is really really nice. With a larger contact patch, a bigger safety margin, and a little more compliance, it just makes cycling more enjoyable for me.
Yeah, no-brainer for me. I have 30 mm GP5000S TR on my race bike and 32 mm Pirelli Cinturatos on my training/spare bike.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 04-19-23, 06:02 PM
Chandne

Bikes: 2022 Moots RCS, 2014 BMC SLR01 DA Mech, 2020 Santa Cruz Stigmata, Ibis Ripmo, Trek Top Fuel, Specialized Levo SL, Norco Bigfoot VLT

I have Pirelli Cinturato 32s waiting for the winter. I took the Maxxis ReFuse 32s off and put on the Specialized S-Works T2/T5 whatever 30s on. They now measure 32.1...great tires though with the minimum PSI (I prob mentioned this earlier) of 65 is a bit much. So, I bought a few ENVE SES 31s (they measure 34s eventually on 25mm rims) so I can run 50-55 in front. I'll run 55ish in the back tire and I air the rear up a bit when on long climb days, so 60. You could no longer convince me to run even 28s. I do have 28s on another bike and will put the Specialized tires on it since it has hooked rims and with the Future Shock, I don't mind running 65.
Old 04-21-23, 07:09 AM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 988 Post(s)
Liked 584 Times in 439 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
I have found it all depends on the rim. My fingers and thumb ached for two days just trying to get them on the rim. Seating them was another issue. I enjoyed them when I had the LBS mount and seat them, but for me as a DIYer (with a compressor) it was a no go. Glad they work for you since they are awesome
Yeah, I'd say it depends on both the tire & rim combo... Once you find the perfect combo, you keep it and cross your fingers that the factory doesn't change its molds lol.
Likes For eduskator:
Old 04-25-23, 12:18 PM
cormacf

Bikes: 2017 Lynskey Sportive Disc, 2021 Lynskey Pro29, 1977 Schwinn Super LeTour 12.2

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked 70 Times in 29 Posts
Any suggestions for a 28 to run on sandy roads? Picked up my first set of carbon wheels (Reynolds AeroDV 46), and they have a 19mm internal width (hooked). I do a lot of riding on Pacific Coast Highway in Califorbia, so there's always a ton of sand blowing across the road.
Old 04-25-23, 07:44 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 763 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 1,008 Posts
Originally Posted by cormacf
Any suggestions for a 28 to run on sandy roads? Picked up my first set of carbon wheels (Reynolds AeroDV 46), and they have a 19mm internal width (hooked). I do a lot of riding on Pacific Coast Highway in Califorbia, so there's always a ton of sand blowing across the road.
How much sand are we talking about. Is it fairly thick where a road tire would lose traction, or just a small bit of sand blowing across the road. If it is not thick, I would say, most of the bigger brands would be ok in that, I ride near the beach here in Florida, have to deal with sand, and have not had any issues maintaining grip no matter the tire I happen to be using. I just avoid the larger piles as much as possible. If you are worried about running through thicker sand, would a 30 or 32 be a better option? I currently run Pirelli P Zero Race on 2 different bikes in 28 and 30.

Old 04-25-23, 08:17 PM
Chandne

Look at the Maxxis ReFuse or some similar tire that has some tread. I have used the Maxxis and they appear to be tough and are grippy. They are a bit heavier but roll well.
Old 04-26-23, 01:37 PM
mschwett 

Bikes: addict, aethos, creo, vanmoof, sirrus, public ...

Quoted: 1273 Post(s)
Liked 1,392 Times in 710 Posts
i ride on great highway a lot, which is sometimes inundated by sand and usually at least a bit sand blown. i find that any road tire is totally unstable over more than a thin coat of sand (you have to go literally perfectly straight without braking or leaning) but on the flip side, every road tire i’ve tried from 28-35 works perfectly well with thin blowing sand. as long as i can see the color of the asphalt i’m good.
Old 04-27-23, 07:40 PM
robbyville

Bikes: Speedvagen Steel

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 429 Post(s)
Liked 248 Times in 156 Posts
I live in Palm Desert CA can’t get much sandier than that (especially after a wind storm). Ultimately not much will help when it comes to riding through troughs of grit. But I’d say my continental 5000’s have been pretty dang good. Right now I’m on the Vittoria Next’s and they been great as well
Old 05-06-23, 07:30 PM
ussprinceton

Bikes: '18 S-Works Tarmac (white letters), '18 S-Works Tarmac (black letters), '22 Allez Elite, '16 Emonda SL, '03 fuel100, '14 adventure3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 82 Times in 66 Posts
GP5000s
Old 05-08-23, 01:20 PM
DirePenguin

Bikes: 2014 Trek 8.3 DS, 2022 Trek Domane SL5

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 26 Posts
Originally Posted by jaxgtr
I've been using the Bontrager R3's in 32 on my Domane and really like them. Not the lightest tire, but pretty smooth and nice riding tire.
My 2022 Domane SL5 came with those and I’ve got no complaints.

I’ve put almost 1,500 miles on them and I’ve not had a single puncture that didn’t seal almost instantly (I only knew it had happened because of the little bit of white goo on the frame).

They’re wearing good, too. The front tire still has a little of the “molding flash” still on it!
Old 05-08-23, 05:19 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Quoted: 763 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 1,008 Posts
Originally Posted by DirePenguin
My 2022 Domane SL5 came with those and I’ve got no complaints.

I’ve put almost 1,500 miles on them and I’ve not had a single puncture that didn’t seal almost instantly (I only knew it had happened because of the little bit of white goo on the frame).

They’re wearing good, too. The front tire still has a little of the “molding flash” still on it!

That is an older post. Have not been on the Bontrager's for a while, moved over to a Pirelli but, the Bontrager's still not a bad tire.

Old 05-14-23, 09:35 PM
NoWhammies

Bikes: Argon 18 Gallium, BH G7, Rocky Mountain Instinct C70

Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 306 Posts
So after just over 7,000km this happened to my rear Michelin Power Road TLR tyre. I guess I cannot complain too much since, like I said, I was just over 7,000km. Still I am burned a little bit b/c the tyre wear indicators still showed some life to go.

Overall still very pleased with the Michelin tyres. I have another set waiting to be put on the bike once I use the Veloflex tyres I bought..

Old 05-15-23, 10:06 AM
DaveSSS 

Bikes: Cinelli superstar disc, two Yoeleo R12

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1097 Post(s)
Liked 559 Times in 446 Posts
I bought early model Michelin tubeless and had similar cracking at the tread/sidewall junction. I've got my last four in use on two bikes. If I see cracks, they're going in the trash. Pirelli P-Zero have been better, but they usually cost a lot more.
Likes For DaveSSS:
Old 05-15-23, 11:47 AM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by NoWhammies
So after just over 7,000km this happened to my rear Michelin Power Road TLR tyre. I guess I cannot complain too much since, like I said, I was just over 7,000km. Still I am burned a little bit b/c the tyre wear indicators still showed some life to go.

Overall still very pleased with the Michelin tyres. I have another set waiting to be put on the bike once I use the Veloflex tyres I bought..

That is definitely not a good end of life scenario! I don't know what it is about Michelin bike tyres, but I had issues years ago with their mtb tyres cracking up around the tread blocks like this. Probably not related as it was literally 20 years ago, but I've kind of stayed away from their bike tyres since. This would certainly put me off their current road tyres too. I would expect them to wear out on the tread, not literally crack and fall to pieces like this! Did they get exposed to any extreme sun or heat during their life?
Old 05-19-23, 06:37 PM
NoWhammies

I have one more pair of Michelin tyres waiting to be mounted and I have a set of Michelin tyres on my second bike. To your point DaveSSS if the Michelin tyres on my second bike start cracking like this, my time with Michelin tyres will come to a swift end. I have been getting good result with Veloflex tyres. Even if the tyres are a few dollars more, I will switch back to them.
Old 06-22-23, 09:12 PM
NoWhammies

So just to post an update on this thread. I had a look at the set of Michelin's on my other bike. Just under 4,000km and the rear tyre appears to starting the same process as the tyre in the photo above. I definitely think I am done with Michelins. Too bad too b/c the tyres were a breeze to mount on my setup and I thought they gripped the road quite well. Bummer about the shortness of the tyre life though. Looks like I'll be sticking with the Veloflex tyres.

I will continue to ride the tyre but I am going to inspect the tyre after every ride so I can keep an eye on when the tyre splits.

Last edited by NoWhammies; 06-27-23 at 11:53 AM. Reason: typos
Old 06-23-23, 03:27 AM
PeteHski

Thanks for the update on Michelin tyres. I’ll cross those off my future list.

I’ve now got 4000 km on my Conti GP5000S TR (30 mm) and they are still looking good. No cracking and plenty of wear life remaining. They’ve seen some rough roads and extreme heat too. No flats either, but the rear took a small cut recently that self-sealed without me noticing on the ride.
Old 06-23-23, 04:05 AM
GhostRider62

Quoted: 2333 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
That MIchelin looks well beyond when I would replace it. Worn out. YMMV
Old 06-23-23, 05:04 AM
Alex_stompbox

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Michelin
Old 06-23-23, 07:25 AM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Quoted: 988 Post(s)
Liked 584 Times in 439 Posts
Originally Posted by GhostRider62
That MIchelin looks well beyond when I would replace it. Worn out. YMMV
Some people like to live dangerously. If that thing explodes at high speed on a descent, there will be a serious hospital bill (unless that guy lives in Canada and/or has a free health care system).
Old 06-23-23, 11:37 AM
msu2001la

Quoted: 1459 Post(s)
Liked 1,478 Times in 868 Posts
I double flatted Wednesday AM on a chunk of broken glass and ruined two brand new 28mm GP5000 S TR's. I happen to have an REI and a Backcountry store just a few blocks away, so I walked up there today assuming I'd be able to find some replacements, or maybe one of the other popular road tubeless options (P-Zero Race, Pro One, maybe the Power Cups or one of those crazy Vittoria options...). Nope. Neither of those stores have any 28mm+ road tubeless tires in stock at the moment.

Anyway, there is also a Specialized store near me (yes I'm surrounded by corporate chains) and they had some snazzy tan wall S-Works Turbo's in 30mm size. This was not my first choice, I've been very happy with 28mm GP5000's, but seemed like the best option if I wanted tires today (which I do, so that I can ride tomorrow AM).

So... Specialized gets another $200 from me (I also bought a mini hand pump and a bottle of sealant). I'm going to mount these up on Zipp 303S wheels tonight and try them out tomorrow on a group ride. Hopefully they go on & seat easy and don't cause me a bunch of headaches.

Anyone have any experience with these tires? They're the regular Turbo 2bliss 2T/5T, not the "RapidAir" which I think is the higher end version. I presume that means they have a little more flat protection at the expense of a few grams and rolling resistance, the latter of which I'm hoping I won't notice.
Old 06-23-23, 01:43 PM
msu2001la

Quoted: 1459 Post(s)
Liked 1,478 Times in 868 Posts
Ready to rock. Install was uneventful. Fit is slightly tighter than the GP5000 S TR's, but nothing a tire lever couldn't handle. I needed to use my airshot on both tires to get them seated initially, but they stayed seated when I deflated to add sealant, so that's a nice bonus. Size wise - I don't have a caliper to measure, but visually I don't see any difference between these and the 28mm Conti's.

I like the tan sidewalls. Hopefully these last a while:

Likes For msu2001la:
Old 06-23-23, 02:13 PM
PeteHski

It will be interesting to hear your thoughts on how these compare with the GP5000S TR.
Old 06-23-23, 02:46 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,966 Times in 1,915 Posts
Originally Posted by msu2001la
I double flatted Wednesday AM on a chunk of broken glass and ruined two brand new 28mm GP5000 S TR's. I happen to have an REI and a Backcountry store just a few blocks away, so I walked up there today assuming I'd be able to find some replacements, or maybe one of the other popular road tubeless options (P-Zero Race, Pro One, maybe the Power Cups or one of those crazy Vittoria options...). Nope. Neither of those stores have any 28mm+ road tubeless tires in stock at the moment.

Anyway, there is also a Specialized store near me (yes I'm surrounded by corporate chains) and they had some snazzy tan wall S-Works Turbo's in 30mm size. This was not my first choice, I've been very happy with 28mm GP5000's, but seemed like the best option if I wanted tires today (which I do, so that I can ride tomorrow AM).

So... Specialized gets another $200 from me (I also bought a mini hand pump and a bottle of sealant). I'm going to mount these up on Zipp 303S wheels tonight and try them out tomorrow on a group ride. Hopefully they go on & seat easy and don't cause me a bunch of headaches.

Anyone have any experience with these tires? They're the regular Turbo 2bliss 2T/5T, not the "RapidAir" which I think is the higher end version. I presume that means they have a little more flat protection at the expense of a few grams and rolling resistance, the latter of which I'm hoping I won't notice.
If you dont mind, how much were those tires from Specialized? I'm thinking the reason why the local B&M stores don't carry the sought after tires is likely due to cost to stock them & unlikely event they will sell for the price they'd stick them up for. Which, shouldn't be the primary reason, but it is what it is with things.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.