Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Southern California
Reload this Page >

Where did you ride in Southern California today?

Search
Notices
Southern California Southern California

Where did you ride in Southern California today?

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-23, 10:48 AM
jonathanf2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked 1,044 Times in 442 Posts
Last night I rode with one of the local ride groups and knocked out 23 miles. We started from DTLA, up the Arroyo Seco bike trail (sketchy at night or day), towards Arroyo Dr. to the Gamble House (aka Doc Brown's house from Back to the Future). Even though I was only planning on a chill pace, while on Arroyo Dr. I got the itch and stepped on the gas up the hill. Another cyclist caught up to me, so I eased back and had him pull me close to the Colorado Street Bridge, I then hopped off his draft and mashed up the rest of the way. My computer had me a 28-30mph plus, which is surprising because my daytime efforts with more head winds is much slower. Makes me think if you're planning to KOM, do it at night with a friend to pull you along!

Also once we reached the Colorado Bridge, the whole area was closed off by Pasadena PD and the fire department was also there. We were guessing a suicide jumper was there to take a dive off the bridge. Sometimes I think if people are depressed, riding a bike is the most therapeutic activity.
Likes For jonathanf2:
Old 06-15-23, 11:00 AM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4944 Post(s)
Liked 8,084 Times in 3,825 Posts
Originally Posted by jonathanf2
Last night I rode with one of the local ride groups and knocked out 23 miles. We started from DTLA, up the Arroyo Seco bike trail (sketchy at night or day), towards Arroyo Dr. to the Gamble House (aka Doc Brown's house from Back to the Future). Even though I was only planning on a chill pace, while on Arroyo Dr. I got the itch and stepped on the gas up the hill. Another cyclist caught up to me, so I eased back and had him pull me close to the Colorado Street Bridge, I then hopped off his draft and mashed up the rest of the way. My computer had me a 28-30mph plus, which is surprising because my daytime efforts with more head winds is much slower. Makes me think if you're planning to KOM, do it at night with a friend to pull you along!

Also once we reached the Colorado Bridge, the whole area was closed off by Pasadena PD and the fire department was also there. We were guessing a suicide jumper was there to take a dive off the bridge. Sometimes I think if people are depressed, riding a bike is the most therapeutic activity.
Growing up in the Pasadena area, I didn't learn it was the "Colorado Street Bridge" until later in my childhood. The first thing I heard it called was "Suicide Bridge". It's been a notorious spot for that for far longer than I've been alive. Despite many fencing modifications over the years, determined people still find a way. If that's what was happening last night, I hope that person found another way to deal with their struggles.

I agree about the Arroyo bike trail. It's my least favorite in our area.
Old 06-15-23, 11:12 AM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

I knocked out a quick 20 miles this late afternoon around the Rose Bowl. While doing my route, the Tuesday night Rose Bowl group ride passed me. I decided to hop the draft on the tail end to see what the pace was like and we were hitting like 30mph plus on the flats. I pulled off partway because I did a lot of work to catch the group and I wasn't planning on such a fast pace ride! I'm now somewhat tempted to give them a serious try, but I'm wondering if I can hold out for an entire 8-10 laps!
That ride happens every Tuesday and Thursday. They roll out at 5:55 from the corner of Arroyo and Seco, and the full ride is 10 laps (31 miles. Usually takes a bit over an hour). I do not recommend it for riders who are not comfortable riding in a tight group at high speed (sometimes as high as 40mph on the downhill side). That said, if you are comfortable, go for it. You will suffer, and it will make you a stronger rider. If you get dropped, ride slowly until the group catches up to you again, and jump back in. Good luck and stay safe!
Old 06-15-23, 11:16 AM
jonathanf2

Originally Posted by Eric F
Growing up in the Pasadena area, I didn't learn it was the "Colorado Street Bridge" until later in my childhood. The first thing I heard it called was "Suicide Bridge". It's been a notorious spot for that for far longer than I've been alive. Despite many fencing modifications over the years, determined people still find a way. If that's what was happening last night, I hope that person found another way to deal with their struggles.

I agree about the Arroyo bike trail. It's my least favorite in our area.
They had both paramedics on top and below the bridge, plus police blocked off all entrances. So definitely had a jumper vibe to the situation.

I'd rather take any other street path besides Arroyo bike trail, unless I'm with a large group. If you're solo, you don't want to have a flat with no one around. Too many sketchy dudes camping out there. Anyways, after getting a taste of the Rose Bowl ride group, I feel like stepping up my training this summer!
Likes For jonathanf2:
Old 06-15-23, 11:23 AM
jonathanf2

That ride happens every Tuesday and Thursday. They roll out at 5:55 from the corner of Arroyo and Seco, and the full ride is 10 laps (31 miles. Usually takes a bit over an hour). I do not recommend it for riders who are not comfortable riding in a tight group at high speed (sometimes as high as 40mph on the downhill side). That said, if you are comfortable, go for it. You will suffer, and it will make you a stronger rider. If you get dropped, ride slowly until the group catches up to you again, and jump back in. Good luck and stay safe!
My buddy was also telling me about the PAA group rides that happen around the same time on Tuesday and Thursday at the Rose Bowl. I think I'm going to work my way up to riding with the Rose Bowl riders and probably give it a go in a few weeks. Though I feel it's one of those things I should just drive to the Rose Bowl specifically for and plan to ride with them. I don't want to ride there with half a tank and then do 10 high paced laps!
Likes For jonathanf2:
Old 06-15-23, 11:35 AM
Eric F 
Habitual User

My buddy was also telling me about the PAA group rides that happen around the same time on Tuesday and Thursday at the Rose Bowl. I think I'm going to work my way up to riding with the Rose Bowl riders and probably give it a go in a few weeks. Though I feel it's one of those things I should just drive to the Rose Bowl specifically for and plan to ride with them. I don't want to ride there with half a tank and then do 10 high paced laps!
PAA does their "SHLOC" (SH** Load Of Climbing) rides that hit the hills on the west side of the Rose Bowl. I haven't ridden with that group, but I know those hills. You will suffer and it will make you suffer.

The best way to work you way up to the RB ride is to actually jump in and go until you get dropped. Next time, try to last longer. It's hard to replicate that kind of effort on your own. Also...The unofficial start/finish is a line on the pavement about 300M past Salvia Canyon Rd on the uphill/west side of the lap. "Turn 1" is the northwest corner of the loop.

If you really want to suffer on climbs, do the Wednesday ride that starts at Velo Pasadena (parking lot behind the shop) at 6:00.

Last edited by Eric F; 06-15-23 at 12:06 PM.
Old 06-15-23, 12:05 PM
jonathanf2

PAA does their "SHLOC" (SH** Load Of Climbing) rides that hit the hills on the west side of the Rose Bowl. I haven't ridden with that group, but I know those hills. You will suffer and it will make you suffer.

The best way to work you way up to the RB ride is to actually jump in and go until you get dropped. Next time, try to last longer. It's hard to replicate that kind of effort on your own. Also...The unofficial start/finish is a line on the pavement about 300M past Salvia Canyon Rd on the uphill/west side of the lap. "Turn 1" is the northwest corner of the loop.
Okay, I think if I plan on getting dropped I won't be too hard on myself! I would guess being middle of the pack would be the best option for wind protection. After experiencing the pace, you definitely won't get that experience on any other group ride. I used to find the Rose Bowl loop a bit boring, but it seems more interesting when you can go fast.

My buddy did the PAA A group (the B group being slower) and he said the pace/climbs was similar to our group rides up Griffith Park. There's a ride tonight, I'll probably check it out.
Old 06-15-23, 03:38 PM
jsigone
got the climbing bug

Bikes: one for everything

Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Quoted: 632 Post(s)
Liked 908 Times in 273 Posts
finally got in a lunch ride, partly cloudy in Escondido, Did Del Dios out n back minus "stud loop". Made myself suffer a bit more chasing my own attacks or where I think I'd attack my friends even though this was a solo ride.

https://www.strava.com/activities/9272789715

Rule #10 // It never gets easier, you just go faster.
Likes For jsigone:
Old 06-15-23, 05:03 PM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 822 Post(s)
Liked 1,960 Times in 943 Posts
Originally Posted by diphthong
i'll bet that was an absolute blast.
Hah! I'm not much of a speed demon but I maxed out at 44.5 mph flying down Harbor Blvd before making a right to get out of fast traffic. If I made an effort, 50 mph should be attainable.
Likes For CAT7RDR:
Old 06-18-23, 04:53 PM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Combined the Puente Hills and Chino Hills in a loop and at about 12 Noon that sun came out to play.
Enthralled by the sun, I forgot to eat/drink for about 20 miles and paid for it and fell flat and dizzy for a spell until I could refuel.
Carbon Canyon is lush and enjoyed the long downhill back into Brea,
West Rd in La Habra Hgts is now completely repaved.
https://ridewithgps.com/trips/125161590
Likes For CAT7RDR:
Old 06-18-23, 06:51 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1944 Post(s)
Liked 1,466 Times in 1,015 Posts
Happy Father's Day - Gravel Ride to Nowhere

Was planning on just a short test ride on Hicks Canyon Trail to see how the weight weenie Selle Repente Artax GLM (164 g) and the new gravel wheels and tires ride on actual gravel.

But it turns out that, on the gravel side, Hicks Canyon Trail continues onto Peters Canyon Trail, which goes all the way down to Main Street.

The route includes some sections of rougher gravel. Unfortunately, the entire section from Walnut Avenue down to Main Street is completely fenced in, forcing me to turn around. The last section (not pictured above) before the dead end at Main Street has particle size > double that shown in the above photo! Impossible to launch from a standstill. Luckily, I found a patch of sand next to the fence to launch from, or I would have had to walk the return leg of that last section. 30 miles, 1,067 ft. climbing.
Likes For SoSmellyAir:
Old 06-18-23, 10:54 PM
jsigone
got the climbing bug

Bikes: one for everything

Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Quoted: 632 Post(s)
Liked 908 Times in 273 Posts
Father's Day ride at sunrise so I can be home by lunch time for fam stuff. Rancho Santa Fe to Ramona via Highland Valley Road for Dunkin Donuts coffee and donuts. Soo good

https://www.strava.com/activities/9291345082

Rule #10 // It never gets easier, you just go faster.
Likes For jsigone:
Old 06-20-23, 07:54 PM
malcala622

Bikes: 1983 Basso Gap...2013 Colnago CX-1...2015 Bianchi Intenso

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1199 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 716 Posts
Double whammy

I rode 7 miles from work to home this afternoon and ate some veggies and chicken. I still felt I had some energy left in me so I headed out for a quick 15 to visit my bike mechanic.

He had a Colnago for sale and I'm tempted to work out a deal for it.

Likes For malcala622:
Old 06-20-23, 10:45 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Originally Posted by malcala622
... so I headed out for a quick 15 to visit my bike mechanic.

He had a Colnago for sale and I'm tempted ...
But yet you only posted a picture of your mechanic but not his bike?
Old 06-20-23, 10:47 PM
malcala622

Bikes: 1983 Basso Gap...2013 Colnago CX-1...2015 Bianchi Intenso

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1199 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 716 Posts
Originally Posted by SoSmellyAir
But yet you only posted a picture of your mechanic but not his bike?
Yes bcuz Im still trying to figure out how serious i am about buying the Colnago.
Old 06-20-23, 10:49 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Originally Posted by malcala622
Yes bcuz Im still trying to figure out how serious i am about buying the Colnago.
Gotcha; I was only joking. I tried to like your post above but BF has not been loading correctly for me the last few days.
Likes For SoSmellyAir:
Old 06-21-23, 11:43 AM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Yesterday...12mi/1100' "Happy Hour" gravel bike ride to Cherry Canyon. I mostly rolled along at an easy-moderate tempo, but hit the 1 mile dirt climb with a harder effort, including a few ~500W intervals on the steep pitches. I linked together a few singletrack sections for the descent - fun stuff. Nice ride, and legs felt really good.
Old 06-23-23, 03:21 PM
jonathanf2

Last Wednesday I had my 2nd road rage incident occur over by Linda Vista Ave. when I was doing some road climbing near the Rose Bowl. Both times were Jeep drivers (first time I was honked at and yelled at for no reason). The Jeep driver tried brake checking me and swerved next to me on the road. I'm thinking of filling one water bottle filled with paint to toss at these a-hole drivers. Seriously I have more issues with entitled drivers in "nicer" neighborhoods, than riding in working class neighborhoods.
Old 06-23-23, 03:42 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Last Wednesday I had my 2nd road rage incident occur over by Linda Vista Ave. when I was doing some road climbing near the Rose Bowl. Both times were Jeep drivers (first time I was honked at and yelled at for no reason). The Jeep driver tried brake checking me and swerved next to me on the road. I'm thinking of filling one water bottle filled with paint to toss at these a-hole drivers. Seriously I have more issues with entitled drivers in "nicer" neighborhoods, than riding in working class neighborhoods.
Stay safe, man.
Old 06-23-23, 03:45 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Last night's "Happy Hour" ride on ye olde 1-speed automatic. It's been about 6 months since I've been on this bike, and was rudely reminded that it is a different kind of demand on the body. I chased my buddy (also on a singlespeed) up to Brown Saddle, and was satisficed that I made it without a recovery stop. Fun ride. Hard effort.
Old 06-23-23, 04:02 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

As much as we must all have imagined payback scenarios to these ******* drivers, don't. It is not wise to provoke when one is at one's most vulnerable state (skin suit, clipped in).
Old 06-23-23, 04:13 PM
CAT7RDR

I carried Sabre Pepper Gel for awhile after a few incidents.
Thought better of it and I do not engage idiots any longer. Got flipped off on Carbon Canyon Rd on Sunday. It was a sharrow lane and there was room to pass. Drivers feel entitled. Expensive psychotherapy will not change these types.

I would think twice about escalating conflict on a bike. We are very vulnerable against a 4,000lbs+ vehicle.

Last edited by CAT7RDR; 06-23-23 at 08:58 PM.
Old 06-23-23, 05:54 PM
CAT7RDR

Got out on a full sun morning for some repeats in the Turnbull Cyn area.
Spooked an 8-point Buck near the LAFD #91 eating a homeowner's flowers.
32 miles and 4K of climb.
https://ridewithgps.com/trips/125692685
Likes For CAT7RDR:
Old 06-23-23, 07:38 PM
jonathanf2

Originally Posted by SoSmellyAir
As much as we must all have imagined payback scenarios to these ******* drivers, don't. It is not wise to provoke when one is at one's most vulnerable state (skin suit, clipped in).
I actually pick mostly residential road routes and try to time my rides when traffic is at a minimum. There was no traffic jam or reason to mess with me, other than to feed that person's egotistical and murderous behavior. I might just start rolling again with my GoPro even if it adds weight. What's strange though, on my gravel bike I rarely have any incidences even though I'm kitted up exactly the same. It's only when I'm on my skinny road bike when the bike hatred happens!
Old 06-24-23, 02:32 AM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 3,114 Times in 1,683 Posts
agreed. have thought more than once about chucking a frozen full water bottle at drivers doing clearly stupid things over the years but never have and won't. thoughts like that drag you into a negative place
and defeat the very essence/purpose/vibe of the ride. have added more blinky lights over the years. always a white one in front and at least two (occasionally four) red blinky lights in the back. have anecdotally noticed my negative interactions have decreased over the years with the addition of the lights. still ride the same (like a car's right behind me) and in the same areas so cautiously optimistic the lights are saying "there's a reason why this bleeper's got four red blinking lights all set at different cadences-so annoying! must avoid and switch lanes!"
Likes For diphthong:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.