Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Single Speed Freewheel Recs? Trade?

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-23, 12:50 PM
somebikeguy 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked 154 Times in 62 Posts

Its been a looong time since I've bought one and the market seems to be either pricey US Made (White Industries) or fairly low end: Shimano SF-1200, ACS Paws 4.1.
I'm working on a round-town bike and not sure which way to go here. Are there any sealed-bearing, better than average options that aren't all the way to White Industries $115 ?

A move I'm pondering is a used White Industries seeing as they're rebuildable. Keeping an eye on ebay etc. If anyone has something they're selling, holler! Have some cool stuff to trade (road, mountain DA, XTR, etc).
Old 06-04-23, 11:10 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4353 Post(s)
Liked 3,993 Times in 2,665 Posts
White Industries is the way to go. A single speed drivetrain is really cheap in the grand scheme of things but the WI freewheel is super high quality and there really isn't much else to compare it too. It will last a long long long time and as you said rebuildable which is nice.

There are a bunch of different freewheels on the market but I would rather just have my WIs over and over and over again. I don't have to worry about it and it will improve my drivetrain performance and I will have paid for it with 3-6 of the cheaper ones and well maybe less if I am having to install new ones more frequently.

I own two of them one of the Trials one with more engagement which I swapped the lockring on (to match the bike the red looks better on the bike than the green would have) and my Langster had the non-trails one and they both have been fantastic. I may have sold the non-trials one but I may also have put it in the parts bin the other one is not for sale but since I built the new Langster I was keeping that fixed and my other bike as single. Feel free to PM me if interested and I can look for it but I think I might have sold it with some wheels because I needed the money at the time and could get WI pretty easily.
Old 06-05-23, 06:09 AM
somebikeguy 

Thanks. As I thought on this, my mind went the same way. I'll have either the bike or the freewheel or both for a long time so the price is small and made in USA means something to me, as someone who makes things in the USA.

If you come across one you'd like to sell please do PM me.

Maybe I'm being dense but what does one do with the double freewheel? Manually shift the chain from one cog to the other? Is the idea that on a "real" track bike (ie not my Lemond conversion) or with a tensioning / eccentric hub you can keep the same chain length?

https://www.whiteind.com/product/double-freewheels/
Old 06-05-23, 06:24 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3588 Post(s)
Liked 3,400 Times in 1,934 Posts
White Industries is hard to beat, quality-wise, but Shimano freewheels are affordable and durable. You could wear out half a dozen Shimano freewheels for the price of one White Industries freewheel.
Old 06-06-23, 01:37 PM
somebikeguy 

Scored a deal on a used WI from ebay! Any suggestions on a 3/32 chain? I'll be running single speed (duh) but may throw a track cog on there for yucks at some point.
Old 06-06-23, 02:15 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4353 Post(s)
Liked 3,993 Times in 2,665 Posts
Originally Posted by somebikeguy
Scored a deal on a used WI from ebay! Any suggestions on a 3/32 chain? I'll be running single speed (duh) but may throw a track cog on there for yucks at some point.
Izumi-V Super Toughness Narrow it is a super durable chain and looks really nice. Like the WI freewheel it is initially expensive but is quite strong and long lasting. I have had the same chain on two bikes at this point.
Old 06-06-23, 04:22 PM
somebikeguy 

Yows pricey. For my round town bike what would one or two steps down be?
Old 06-06-23, 05:25 PM
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer

Bikes: 32 frames + 80 wheels

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1331 Post(s)
Liked 764 Times in 431 Posts
Yows pricey. For my round town bike what would one or two steps down be?
The KMC 3/32" singlespeed chain is excellent and reasonably priced >>> https://www.retro-gression.com/colle...c-k810sl-chain

Originally Posted by Dcv
I'd like to think i have as much money as brains.
I see the light at the end of the tunnel, but the tunnel keeps getting longer - me
Old 06-07-23, 10:53 AM
somebikeguy 

Looks good, I'll give the K1SL a whirl thanks.
Old 06-09-23, 12:58 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3588 Post(s)
Liked 3,400 Times in 1,934 Posts
Nobody mentioned "Ted Shred?"
Old 06-09-23, 06:56 PM
sdimattia

Bikes: Wabi Classic, Bombtrack Hook, Bombtrack Tension, Vitus Substance

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 56 Posts
Looks good, I'll give the K1SL a whirl thanks.
The KMC 8 speed chains are 3/32, also cheap. I usually bounce between the 1 or 8 speed, depending on price and availability.