Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Truing a wheel on a budget.

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-17, 06:39 PM
FrontShocks

Bikes: GT 1999 Backwoods Hardtail

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

As much as I'd like to spend 60-200$ on a truing stand I'd very much appreciate some ideas on how to do this on a budget. I've heard that you can use zip-ties, however this seems to do more harm to the wheel.
Old 09-06-17, 06:54 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3587 Post(s)
Liked 3,398 Times in 1,932 Posts
How would the zip-tie harm the wheel? You attach them to the frame, and use the "tails" as indicators in the same manner as the calipers on a truing stand. When you're done, you just snip them off.

Or, you can use the brake pads (assuming you don't have disc or drum brakes) in the same manner.
Old 09-06-17, 06:59 PM
jgcycle

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
DIY Stand

There's plans on the internet to make one out of 3/4" plywood. I did (haha), but it works pretty good.
The tough part is getting something (out of metal) that the axle sits in, and even tougher to clamp it in (I don't).
Mine barely sits in metal stampings that have the cutout, so i just need to spin gingerly. It works.
Old 09-06-17, 06:59 PM
FrontShocks

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Using the zip-ties hasn't brought me much luck, maybe I just don't have the mechanic's eye for it but it seemed make the vertical alignment worse. However, brake pads seem like a better idea.
Old 09-06-17, 07:05 PM
FrontShocks

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Best idea I've heard actually, I'll definitely give it a try.
Old 09-06-17, 07:08 PM
scott967

Bikes: 89 Paramount OS 84 Fuji Touring Series III New! 2013 Focus Izalco Ergoride

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 54 Posts
I had an old Yakima roof rack where you removed the front wheel and just took off one of the wheel attachments and chuck it in my vice as a stand. I do have a dial indicator with magnetic mount that makes it easy, except for dish.

scott s.
Old 09-06-17, 07:28 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5773 Post(s)
Liked 2,569 Times in 1,422 Posts
Originally Posted by FrontShocks
Using the zip-ties hasn't brought me much luck, maybe I just don't have the mechanic's eye for it but it seemed make the vertical alignment worse. However, brake pads seem like a better idea.
You use another zip tie higher up and extended across over the top edge of the rim. So, you have one for hop, and 2 for wobble (1 per side).

The only other thing you need is a dishing gauge, and can license my 3 cans + 10 quarters design for $1.00/year.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 09-06-17, 09:28 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1943 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
I've used brake pads. Sometimes when I'm having problems seeing it well enough, I open the caliper a little and canter it over so the one pad will hit the out of true spots. Obviously you don't want to twist the brake with enough force to put it out of center when you move it back. You can use the pad for the vertical/radial truing.

John
Old 09-06-17, 09:53 PM
dayco

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 8 Posts
I'm certainly no expert but I have an old dial indicator I use similar to a $17 dial indicator at Harbor Freight. (can't post a link, I haven't got 10 posts yet) Make up a mount so you can clamp it to the frame or fork.
Old 09-06-17, 09:55 PM
HerrKaLeun

Bikes: Giant Toughroad SLR1 and Motobecane Sturgis NX

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 900 Post(s)
Liked 231 Times in 168 Posts
I haven't tried out my "truing stand" yet, but here is the $8 truing stand:
- put wheel (without tire) in your bike as usual
- go to hardware store and get a 12" long threaded rod and same size of well-nuts (they have rubber coating to not scratch the rim)
- with velcro attach the rod to the seatstaty right above the rim (assuming you have it in rear) and position the wellnuts so they are centered (need to measure!). This is your reference point and dish also will be correct. The wellnuts have that "lip" and I envision that could be used to true for roundness and lateral trueness.

I thought of buying a cheap stand, but they wiggle around, thought of building none from wood etc. But they also need to be correct and over time may get out of true. Then I got the idea that the bicycle itself is a great stable truing stand. should be more stable than a $200 stand. All I need is to add some adjustable reference points as above. i read about truing, dishing etc. and it seems complex. Truing and dishing at same time sounds easier.

Besides some slight adjustment i never trued a wheel, never built one, never tried my above stand. So there is that.
Old 09-07-17, 05:47 AM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
How wonky is your wheel?

Tweaking a few minor tension differences is one thing. If you've actually somehow bent your rim, that's another story.
Old 09-07-17, 12:25 PM
Abe_Froman

Bikes: Marin Four Corners, 1960's Schwinn Racer in middle of restoration, mid 70s Motobecane Grand Touring, various other heaps.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 9347 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 51 Posts
If you dont have one already, buy a cheap bike trainer off craigslist. They can easily be had for $20. Beer can next to the wheel works great for lateral truing (makes a great scraping sound when they're empty), the steel roller works great for radial truing (makes even more noise).

I've built a few wheels using this...trued to well under 0.5mm variation.
Old 09-07-17, 04:39 PM
FrontShocks

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Retro Grouch
How wonky is your wheel?

Tweaking a few minor tension differences is one thing. If you've actually somehow bent your rim, that's another story.
I actually would have been happier if it was bent, but sadly it's only slightly out of true in some spots.
Old 09-08-17, 06:11 AM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Originally Posted by FrontShocks
I actually would have been happier if it was bent, but sadly it's only slightly out of true in some spots.
Easier than you are probably thinking:

With the wheel on your bike, watch where the rim passes between the brake pads. When you find the wonky spot, correct it by adjusting opposing spokes the same (small) amount but in opposite directions. That way your side-to-side adjustments won't affect the up-and down.

Side-to-sde adjustments are easy to do. Up-and down, not so much.
Old 09-08-17, 06:45 AM
The Quiet One

Bikes: Felt Z100, Trek 720

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I bought a Minoura truing stand used on eBay for $8. It's certainly not up to Park Tool standards, but it's adequate for my use.
Old 09-08-17, 07:09 AM
jimmie65
Proud hobo biker

Bikes: 2019 Surly Ogre, 2016 Giant Anyroad 2, Lightspeed Roadrunner trike, SE Tripel (in process)

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Abe_Froman
If you dont have one already, buy a cheap bike trainer off craigslist. They can easily be had for $20. Beer can next to the wheel works great for lateral truing (makes a great scraping sound when they're empty), the steel roller works great for radial truing (makes even more noise).

I've built a few wheels using this...trued to well under 0.5mm variation.
Great idea. Glad I read this before I sold my bike trainer.
Old 09-08-17, 01:31 PM
bluehills3149

Bikes: depends what week it is..

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 47 Posts
I've just ordered a cheapo dial indicator from Ebay for the grand sum of $6.25 (they vary in price from $5-$8 shipped). A flexible holder was another $7.
I'm going to use it as a poor-mans truing aid as a dial gauge beats using brake pads or your thumb. I'll report back when it arrives which is probably around christmas if past history buying cheap stuff on ebay is any guide.
And cheapo truing stands can be had for $35 if you want to go low.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
dial ind.JPG (33.8 KB, 159 views)
File Type: jpg
dial holder.JPG (19.6 KB, 158 views)
Old 09-08-17, 01:38 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
I compensated on the bike for a broken spoke on tour with just a spoke wrench,
it was just 1 of 48 spokes, so I just got it straight to go between the brake pads compensating with the other 47..
Old 09-08-17, 05:53 PM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
I've gone through a succession of homemade truing stands, possibly a false economy. But in my experience as an amateur with about 10 builds under my belt, the two things that I prefer about a nicer stand are: 1) Stiffness, so the stand doesn't flex too much when I'm trying to see what I'm doing. 2) Convenient access to get my hands in with the spoke wrench.

Quick setup would probably be more important for a pro than for an amateur. And I'm perfectly happy doing minor touch-up on the bike. My wheels typically need a look after a few months, but so have new bikes that have come into the fleet.
Old 09-08-17, 06:39 PM
skinz0506

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 11 Posts
I also have an old Minoura truing stand. I have done a few truing jobs and it works for me.
Old 09-08-17, 07:12 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5773 Post(s)
Liked 2,569 Times in 1,422 Posts
At it's core, a truing stand consists simply of two elements.

1- a place to secure the hub so it won't move as the wheel turns
2- fixed references that can be used to gauge rim deflections as the wheel turns.

EVERYTHING else is fluff.

When I first started truing and building wheels 50 years ago, I used my bike as a stand with dry markers braced against a fork blade or stay, and advanced very slowly until it just touched the moving rim. Then the marks would tell me where the high spot was, and I'd use my thumb to get a sense of the nature of the wobble. I'd correct that, wipe the rim with alcohol and repeat the process, alternating sides and working down to tiny deflections, until I'd get continuous marks through wide sections.

Every once in a while, when working with light flexible rims, I'd go back to the marker method because it recorded the deflections and gave me a better sense of the rim than non-marking feelers.

Better truing stands make the process a bit faster and more convenient, but no matter how costly or well featured, are no different functionally than a stick held in place against a fork blade with a rubber band.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.

Last edited by FBinNY; 09-08-17 at 07:17 PM.
Old 09-08-17, 08:00 PM
Slightspeed

Bikes: 1964 Legnano Roma Olympiade, 1973 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Peugeot PR10, 2002 Specialized Allez, 2007 Specialized Roubaix, 2013 Culprit Croz Blade

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 818 Times in 421 Posts
LBS charged me $10 to true rear wheel and adjust cones. Why bother with it yourself, except for the experience? I'd rather be riding.
Old 09-08-17, 08:05 PM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Bikes: Specialized,Cannondale,Argon 18

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 346 Posts
Originally Posted by Slightspeed
LBS charged me $10 to true rear wheel and adjust cones. Why bother with it yourself, except for the experience? I'd rather be riding.
$20 per wheel around here. i found a used stand on craigslist for 45$. with practice i can do a pretty good job in 15-20 minutes. a good skill to learn. i try to as much as i can at home.
Old 09-08-17, 08:15 PM
Slightspeed

Bikes: 1964 Legnano Roma Olympiade, 1973 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Peugeot PR10, 2002 Specialized Allez, 2007 Specialized Roubaix, 2013 Culprit Croz Blade

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 818 Times in 421 Posts
Originally Posted by sdmc530
$20 per wheel around here. i found a used stand on craigslist for 45$. with practice i can do a pretty good job in 15-20 minutes. a good skill to learn. i try to as much as i can at home.
I get it. I've just never felt the need personaly. I've had very few problems with wobbly wheels. I'm a road rider with 50+ years of riding. In college I damaged a rim, and rebuilt the wheel myself, but I did have a shop true it for me. I do almost everything else myself, just never developed wheel truing patience. Good luck working it out.
Old 09-08-17, 08:28 PM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Bikes: Specialized,Cannondale,Argon 18

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 346 Posts
Originally Posted by Slightspeed
I get it. I've just never felt the need personaly. I've had very few problems with wobbly wheels. I'm a road rider with 50+ years of riding. In college I damaged a rim, and rebuilt the wheel myself, but I did have a shop true it for me. I do almost everything else myself, just never developed wheel truing patience. Good luck working it out.
I also should have mentioned that us "Clydes" have more wheel true issues. Just how we roll lol. I do understand how people who can ride light never have issues. I am jealous of them for sure!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.