Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Clean bike WD-40.

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Clean bike WD-40.

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-21, 01:51 PM
deacon mark

Bikes: Habanero Titanium Team Nuevo

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked 185 Times in 121 Posts
Clean bike WD-40.

I am sure I not the only one who does this but over the years I have gone from cleaning with water and mild detergent to WD40. I have titanium bike but I also use if for the CF bike. Typically I don't ride in the mud it is a road bike but now the wd40 seems to do everything well except I don't use it to lube anything. I just put it on the stand take the wheels off and start with shop towel and wd40. I gets all the tar specs off in the summer and the dead worms of riding after rain. Then I take the brakes off spray wd40 and clean up. To me it is easier than water and soap plus it does more for the the derailleurs and brakes than simple water. I even clean the wheels with it good for the rim. It does not take much either.
Likes For deacon mark:
Old 04-03-21, 03:43 PM
epnnf

Bikes: 2016 Masi strada vita due, 2019 Kona Dew Plus

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 268 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 55 Posts
Im glad it works for you, but I would never do that. I hope rim brakes, not disc? I use degreaser to clean my bike; wd40 is only last resort, to break something loose.
Likes For epnnf:
Old 04-03-21, 03:50 PM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1350 Post(s)
Liked 1,243 Times in 621 Posts
Take a Look:
WD-40 Degreasers, Rust Inhibitors and Parts Cleaners | WD-40

Likes For 10 Wheels:
Old 04-03-21, 11:09 PM
znomit
Zoom zoom zoom zoom bonk

Bikes: Giant Defy, Trek 1.7c, BMC GF02, Fuji Tahoe, Scott Sub 35, Kona Rove, Trek Verve+2

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 722 Times in 366 Posts
It's all good until the neighbourhood dogs start chasing after the fish oil scent.
Old 04-04-21, 11:09 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6185 Post(s)
Liked 4,803 Times in 3,313 Posts
I'm all for whatever works for you.

I've used WD-40.... the original stuff, not their other branded products, for quite a bit of stuff. WD I've heard is for water displacement. Don't know if that's why it's called WD-40, but it does displace water.

When I'm feeling lazy and don't want to dry off my bike after riding in the rain, I've sprayed WD-40 on my cassettes, chain and other parts I didn't want to rust and just put a box fan to blow air on it and dry it. Seems to keep them from getting a surface coat of rust that will bloom on them if I don't spray them.

Of course I am careful of the brake surfaces. Of course I lube my chain and other parts before the next ride... sometimes.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 04-04-21, 01:09 PM
Inusuit

Bikes: 1995 Specialized Rockhopper,1989 Specialized Rock Combo, 2013 Specialized Tarmac Elite

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 588 Times in 278 Posts
Just for the record, no fish oil in WD 40 and yes, the WD stands for water displacement. Not a very good lubricant. I use it on frozen parts as it is a good penetrant.
Old 04-04-21, 01:26 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1940 Post(s)
Liked 1,464 Times in 1,013 Posts
Originally Posted by Inusuit
Just for the record, no fish oil in WD 40 and yes, the WD stands for water displacement. Not a very good lubricant. I use it on frozen parts as it is a good penetrant.
Now that I know that WD stands for water displacement, it seems that using WD-40 to clean the chain before applying lubricant may work better and is definitely cheaper than using the lubricant to both clean and lubricate.

The question is, which WD-40 product to use? When I was young, WD-40 is WD-40, but now there seems to be a variety of formulations, at least implied by the product packaging.
Old 04-04-21, 02:37 PM
Nick 93

Bikes: 2007 Novara Randonee, 2020 Cannondale Optima Claris, 1993 Raleigh RT500

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
WD-40 is really good for cleaning up grease, tar, etc. I wouldn't use it to clean the whole bike but its very good for cleaning chainstays if you did some maintenance and made a mess. Something I recently learned is that oil (mineral oil,vegetable oil, etc) cleans grease and other oils. Whenever I work on the vehicles or the bike I've found it works better than water for initially cleaning my hands.
Old 04-04-21, 03:19 PM
fujidon

Bikes: Fuji Pro, Raleigh Team, touring bike, hybrid

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 44 Posts
There have been seemingly millions of discussions about WD-40. What it's good for, what it's not good for, what's in it, why the name, etc.

So many opinions, I may as well add mine...

It does NOT displace water. I've experimented with it. Oil and petroleum-based products are lighter than water and won't get underneath water to "displace" it. Nor is WD-40 miscible with water. Try it, you'll see.
It's a lubricant, plain and simple. It may not be the best, but that's what it is. It's a lubricant in a solvent that evaporates. Once the solvent evaporates, what's left is basically oil. The solvent is necessary to thin it enough so that it can be sprayed.

I will use it to clean because it doesn't contain water and when freshly applied, it's thin enough to wipe clean leaving a small, almost imperceptible residue. I do not use it as a lubricant because I do believe there are better choices, but if the chain on my kid's bike started to show signs of rust, I wouldn't hesitate to spray WD-40 all over it.
Old 04-04-21, 04:00 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4731 Post(s)
Liked 1,531 Times in 1,002 Posts
Seems odd to clean a bike with an oil product. Does rubbing your bike clothing on the frame afterwards yield stains? Does it make the brifters and bars slippery for a while?
Likes For Sy Reene:
Old 04-04-21, 04:44 PM
fujidon

Bikes: Fuji Pro, Raleigh Team, touring bike, hybrid

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 44 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
Seems odd to clean a bike with an oil product. Does rubbing your bike clothing on the frame afterwards yield stains? Does it make the brifters and bars slippery for a while?
I've never seen oily stains. When WD-40 is freshly applied it's very "watery" (i.e. non-viscous) and wipes off easily. I don't use it, nor would I ever, on the the shift levers or handlebars. (nor the saddle, but that should be pretty obvious)
Old 04-04-21, 08:24 PM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 983 Post(s)
Liked 583 Times in 438 Posts
WD-40 is a very good degreaser. I don't see why anyone would want to use this on anything other than something that needs to be degreased.
Old 04-04-21, 08:50 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
I use it as a lip-balm and (as recommended by the manufacturer) to flush out my Chris King ring drive.
Old 04-05-21, 06:53 AM
Reflector Guy

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito XE, Via Nirone 7, GT Aggressor Pro

Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked 1,271 Times in 588 Posts
Originally Posted by wgscott
I use it as a lip-balm .....
Back when I used to work outdoors I knew one guy who sprayed it on his hands to keep them from getting chapped. I never tested it to see if it worked; I'll just have to take the guy's word for it.

The real old timers used to pee on their hands to keep them from getting chapped. I'm not sure which is worse!
Old 04-05-21, 07:02 AM
sloppy12

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked 252 Times in 147 Posts
Originally Posted by Reflector Guy
Back when I used to work outdoors I knew one guy who sprayed it on his hands to keep them from getting chapped. I never tested it to see if it worked; I'll just have to take the guy's word for it.

The real old timers used to pee on their hands to keep them from getting chapped. I'm not sure which is worse!
Well pee probably wont give you cancer.
Old 04-05-21, 09:27 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6185 Post(s)
Liked 4,803 Times in 3,313 Posts
I does displace water. We had a thousand pounds of cut to length steel tube in a basket out waiting to be picked up by the customer. It came a unexpected rain shower and got it wet before the customer came to pick it up. We sprayed it with WD-40....When the sun came out and dried everything up, the tubes in the basket didn't have any rust bloom. The drops from the same tubes in the scrap bin had a nice bloom of rust on them.

I also used to spray WD-40 in the distributer cap of my car when after going down roads with deep water at the speed we teenagers liked to drive in the 70's it either quit or would run rough. Solved the problem every time.

Anecdotally I think that's two reasonable examples it displaces water.
Old 04-05-21, 12:58 PM
mercator
In the wind

Bikes: Giant TCR Advanced Team, Lemond Buenos Aires, Giant TCX, Miyata 1000LT

Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked 120 Times in 54 Posts
Originally Posted by fujidon
There have been seemingly millions of discussions about WD-40. What it's good for, what it's not good for, what's in it, why the name, etc.

So many opinions, I may as well add mine...

It does NOT displace water. I've experimented with it. Oil and petroleum-based products are lighter than water and won't get underneath water to "displace" it. Nor is WD-40 miscible with water. Try it, you'll see.
It's a lubricant, plain and simple. It may not be the best, but that's what it is. It's a lubricant in a solvent that evaporates. Once the solvent evaporates, what's left is basically oil. The solvent is necessary to thin it enough so that it can be sprayed.

I will use it to clean because it doesn't contain water and when freshly applied, it's thin enough to wipe clean leaving a small, almost imperceptible residue. I do not use it as a lubricant because I do believe there are better choices, but if the chain on my kid's bike started to show signs of rust, I wouldn't hesitate to spray WD-40 all over it.
I think the idea of water displacement works in tight spaces where the WD-40 will penetrate and replace any moisture. Spraying it on a puddle of water won't do much, obviously.
Old 04-05-21, 01:08 PM
ridelikeaturtle

Bikes: Bianchi Ti Megatube; Colnago Competition; Planet-X EC-130E; Klein Pulse; Amp Research B4; Litespeed Catalyst; Trek Y11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 605 Post(s)
Liked 480 Times in 260 Posts
I think WD-40 is a great product to clean off grease and tar as it dissolves it quite nicely. Smells nice too.

But it will leave a bit of residue, which isn't a big problem if you wipe everything down really well w/a clean cloth. It'll still attract a bit of dust; but at least it's easier to clean off next time.

I've found using water-based disinfectant wipes - the sort of thing you'd use around the kitchen - works really well to do a final clean and will remove any greasy residue left from WD-40.
Old 04-05-21, 01:33 PM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
Years ago I raced shifter karts. Pretty much everyone I raced with used WD to clean nearly the whole kart. The plastics, chassis, rear axle, and most importantly the chamber/pipe. Most chambers are just plain steel and rust quickly if there is much humidity. The WD would keep them free of rust and shiny. It did a good job of breaking down stuff on the plastics, dirt/bugs/tire rubber/gas/oil...we used a ton of it on race weekends. I've used it on Ti frames and it keeps them looking nice. Saying it doesn't displace water is nonsense.
Likes For cxwrench:
Old 04-05-21, 02:00 PM
Razorrock

Bikes: Litespeed

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 21 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
I think this is more of a Ti thing. When I first got a Titanium bike I cleaned and put a coat of wax on it like I had done on all of my previous bikes, but it would show finger prints and sweat stains on the first ride. I asked around and many people suggested WD40 or even chain lube! It works fabulous.
Old 04-06-21, 07:47 AM
Dylansbob 
2k miles from the midwest

Bikes: ~'75 Colin Laing, '80s Schwinn SuperSport 650b, ex-Backroads ti project...

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 525 Post(s)
Liked 931 Times in 446 Posts
Years ago when I worked for a bike company that specialized in cheap titanium, I was to clean frames with wd40 and a white sos pad before packing.

The reason I still use it to clean is that it doesn't seem to bother my hands as much as other solvents. Keep it away from chain/bearings and it is one of the fastest working degreasers.
Old 04-06-21, 07:54 AM
MidTNBrad

Bikes: 2016 Cervelo R3 & 1999 Litespeed Tuscany

Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked 138 Times in 79 Posts
I have an old Ti Litespeed with logo decals on it rather than more permanent options. Will WD-40 remove the decals?
Old 04-06-21, 11:52 AM
Ogsarg

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Roubaix Comp Di2, 2009 Roubaix, early 90's Giant Iguana

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 642 Post(s)
Liked 1,524 Times in 550 Posts
Just don't ride by any place where dust is kicked up.

Many years ago a young man who worked for me told me a story about how he used it to shine up his old Datsun pick-up before picking up his girlfriend. It looked great when he was done but a mile or so from home he was driving by a field where a tractor was plowing and the wind was blowing pretty good toward the road. The truck went from red to red-ish brown in seconds.
Old 04-06-21, 04:35 PM
Jack Tone 

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 389 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 165 Posts
I always use WD40 to remove the glue from stickers and decals. And before I was a Bike Forums student, I used WD40 to lube my mountain bike chain, I don't know why, but the chain lasted through several races, and then 5000 miles of commuting before the bike was stolen.
Old 04-07-21, 06:10 AM
big chainring 

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 751 Post(s)
Liked 727 Times in 351 Posts
I have used WD-40 to clean my bike and it works fine. Lately I just put some oil on a rag and wipe down my bike. Oil itself is a good degreaser. Its not complicated. Moving parts need lubricant. Oil and grease provide the lubrication. WD-40 has some good properties. If a bike has been sitting unused for several years, spraying it down with WD-40 is a good first step to free up the cables, chain etc.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.