Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Neil Pryde Bura SL bike

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Neil Pryde Bura SL bike

Old 12-02-21, 05:10 PM
Caliwild

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 412 Post(s)
Liked 668 Times in 280 Posts
Neil Pryde Bura SL bike

Hey guys,

I found a few threads on this bike and the reviews seem to be mostly positive. I have a chance to buy almost this same exact bike:

https://www.theproscloset.com/produc...ike-2017-large

I honestly just want it for the Dura Ace 9000 groupset but the frame and wheels (Mavic Ksyrium SLS) look pretty nice too. How much would be reasonable for the whole bike? $1,500 too rich? Thanks in advance...
Old 12-02-21, 05:16 PM
LAJ
So it is

Bikes: Luzerne, 684, Boreas, Wheelhouse, Alize©®, Bayamo, Cayo

Mentioned: 246 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11393 Post(s)
Liked 4,729 Times in 2,756 Posts
Originally Posted by Caliwild
Hey guys,

I found a few threads on this bike and the reviews seem to be mostly positive. I have a chance to buy almost this same exact bike:

https://www.theproscloset.com/produc...ike-2017-large

I honestly just want it for the Dura Ace 9000 groupset but the frame and wheels (Mavic Ksyrium SLS) look pretty nice too. How much would be reasonable for the whole bike? $1,500 too rich? Thanks in advance...
It's sold, and I wish I would have seen it.
Old 12-02-21, 05:31 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8259 Post(s)
Liked 8,981 Times in 4,452 Posts
Originally Posted by LAJ
It's sold, and I wish I would have seen it.
He said it was almost the exact bike so maybe the one he's looking at is still available.
Old 12-02-21, 06:26 PM
Caliwild

Sorry for not being clear. My local bike shop has a bike exactly like the one on Pro’s Closet for $1500.
Old 12-02-21, 08:33 PM
LAJ
So it is

Originally Posted by big john
He said it was almost the exact bike so maybe the one he's looking at is still available.
Reading comprehension fail. Thank you, sir.

Sorry for not being clear. My local bike shop has a bike exactly like the one on Pro’s Closet for $1500.
Excel had that frame on the wall when I bought my Alize, and I kick myself for not buying them both. I would pay 1500 all day long.
Old 12-03-21, 01:09 PM
Caliwild

Originally Posted by LAJ
Reading comprehension fail. Thank you, sir.

Excel had that frame on the wall when I bought my Alize, and I kick myself for not buying them both. I would pay 1500 all day long.
Thanks for the response!
Old 12-04-21, 06:03 PM
cyclebycle13
Super WW

Bikes: A really light one and a really heavy one.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 15 Posts
Had one. Loved it. Only issue - they're prone to cracking. Mine did and they warrantied it - cracked on the chainstay not too far beyond the bottom bracket. The warranty replacement was a later model and I had no issues with it, until I got tree branched and the frame was totaled.

I'd stay away from that model year.

I should add I purchased it from fairwheelbikes and I was told they stopped carrying them because there were so many that had the same issue. I also saw some on the proscloset that had repairs to the same area.
Old 12-06-21, 09:52 AM
Caliwild

Originally Posted by cyclebycle13
Had one. Loved it. Only issue - they're prone to cracking. Mine did and they warrantied it - cracked on the chainstay not too far beyond the bottom bracket. The warranty replacement was a later model and I had no issues with it, until I got tree branched and the frame was totaled.

I'd stay away from that model year.

I should add I purchased it from fairwheelbikes and I was told they stopped carrying them because there were so many that had the same issue. I also saw some on the proscloset that had repairs to the same area.
Thanks... ok, that gives me some apprehension. Thanks for the heads up...
Old 12-06-21, 10:31 PM
Caliwild

OK, they're willing to throw in some Garmin power meter pedals and reduce the price to $1200. At that price, I think it's a no-brainer. If I dislike the frame, I could always sell that and keep the Dura Ace 9000 groupset and Mavic wheels...
Old 12-07-21, 03:50 PM
Caliwild

Got it!

Ok, picked up the bike! Looks to be in great shape, other than the dirt/grime. It should clean up nicely. I checked very carefully for any cracks or damage but she’s in tip top shape. I think I got a pretty good deal…. The seller threw in the Garmin pedals, a Garmin 520, and front/rear lights. My grand total was $1K! It’s full Dura Ace 9000. Surprised to even find a deal during these crazy times…. Does anyone know which pedals these are? I need to change the batteries. It’s going to my bike shop soon so that they can throw on a shorter stem, new chain, new bar tape and to do a complete tune up. Can’t wait to take it out for a spin….

Old 12-10-21, 04:45 PM
Caliwild

I didn't realize Neil Pryde went on to form Chapter 2 bikes... Apparently, their Neil Pryde bikes were Chapter 1 of their story... Pretty cool

https://www.chapter2bikes.com/about-us/?wcmlc=USD
Old 12-11-21, 08:30 AM
LAJ
So it is

Enjoy your new bike!

Yep. I've been keeping tabs on Chapter 2. Nice looking bikes.
Likes For LAJ:
Old 12-22-21, 12:12 PM
Caliwild

All done

OK, I just got the bike back from the shop... Threw on a zero offset Zipp seatpost (carbon) and a shorter Zipp stem (aluminum). The shop literally stripped everything off the bike, polished everything, re-greased everything and re-assembled. Got some new Vittoria Corsa tires and Lizard Skins bar tape too. Honestly, it looks like a brand new bike now... Now I need to order the batteries and cleats (didn't realize Garmin uses Look cleats, not Shimano) for the Garmin pedals. Here's a pic...

Old 12-23-21, 10:06 AM
Caliwild

Got a chance to weigh the bike and I was shocked... Including the pedals and cages, the bike weighs 15.3 lbs!
Old 02-15-22, 09:10 PM
Caliwild

Quick update after several rides... I'm actually quite shocked to say that this is probably one of the best riding road bikes I've ever ridden (I've had a Bianchi, De Rosa, Mondonico, and several other well-regarded frames in carbon and steel). It accelerates VERY quickly, holds speed, corners smoothly on descents and climbs wonderfully. And somehow, it still feels very comfortable (probably the thin seat stays). And I forgot how amazing Dura Ace 9000 is. The shifts are not even noticeable. Anyway, it sounds like I'm gushing but I kind of am. Maybe I shouldn't be so surprised that it rides so well but I didn't expect much from a brand I hadn't really heard of before...
Old 02-16-22, 07:14 AM
robbyville

Bikes: Speedvagen Steel

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 429 Post(s)
Liked 248 Times in 156 Posts
What a great story and find, congrats! I loved the DA 9000 mechanical, front shifting was so amazing that I (almost) didn’t go with DI2. I’m sure you found this out already but you should be able to get the batteries for your Garmin Vector pedals from a normal grocery store or battery center. Depending on the model, you may also want to get from garmin the kit that came with new prong seals and end caps which if I remember from mine right were updated in the first year of the Vector 2’s becoming available.

enjoy the ride and be safe on that beauty!
Likes For robbyville:
Old 02-16-22, 09:50 AM
Caliwild

Originally Posted by robbyville
What a great story and find, congrats! I loved the DA 9000 mechanical, front shifting was so amazing that I (almost) didn’t go with DI2. I’m sure you found this out already but you should be able to get the batteries for your Garmin Vector pedals from a normal grocery store or battery center. Depending on the model, you may also want to get from garmin the kit that came with new prong seals and end caps which if I remember from mine right were updated in the first year of the Vector 2’s becoming available.

enjoy the ride and be safe on that beauty!
Thank you! Yeah, I purchased some CR1/3N lithium batteries from Amazon and the pedals work perfectly. It's pretty funny to see how little power I am producing! Thanks for the info on the seals/caps for the pedals. I'll look into that too. It's crazy that I was only interested in this bike for the groupset, but have now realized that the frameset is just as special...
Likes For Caliwild:
Old 02-16-22, 12:15 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1939 Post(s)
Liked 1,461 Times in 1,012 Posts
Got a chance to weigh the bike and I was shocked... Including the pedals and cages, the bike weighs 15.3 lbs!
Very light! The Mavic Ksyrium SLS wheels are some of the lightest wheels of the pre-carbon fiber rim era.
Old 02-16-22, 03:49 PM
Caliwild

Originally Posted by SoSmellyAir
Very light! The Mavic Ksyrium SLS wheels are some of the lightest wheels of the pre-carbon fiber rim era.
Yes, I was pretty shocked to discover that these aluminum wheels weigh so little. Makes me question why full carbon wheel is even necessary...
Old 02-17-22, 09:19 PM
robbyville

Bikes: Speedvagen Steel

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 429 Post(s)
Liked 248 Times in 156 Posts
Yes, I was pretty shocked to discover that these aluminum wheels weigh so little. Makes me question why full carbon wheel is even necessary...
lol they’re not other than looks and aerodynamics which outweigh weight in many circumstances
Old 02-17-22, 09:28 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1939 Post(s)
Liked 1,461 Times in 1,012 Posts
Makes me question why full carbon wheel is even necessary...
For wider and deeper wheels.
Old 02-17-22, 10:39 PM
Outrider1

Bikes: Trek Emonda ALR 5

Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked 301 Times in 140 Posts
I could sense your excitement from your initial post. It's great to here it worked out even better than you thought. Good on you and enjoy!
Likes For Outrider1:
Old 02-18-22, 05:22 PM
Caliwild

Originally Posted by SoSmellyAir
For wider and deeper wheels.
Yeah, that's true...
Old 11-30-22, 10:52 AM
Caliwild

Update

Quick update... Unfortunately, I hit a nasty pothole and bent the rear Mavic rim that the bike came with. Sooo, I used the opportunity to get a new wheelset. Had my shop order the DT Swiss PR 1400 Dicut Oxic 21 wheelset (wanted a lightweight aluminum wheelset that could also be run tubeless). After the maiden voyage this morning on the new wheels, I will say I'm impressed. The total weight is 1,475 grams, so it's pretty darn light (my total bike weight dropped to 14.9 lbs). But what really impressed me is how much better the braking is. Subjectively, it feels like it's at least 50% better than the Mavics. Also, the wheels are stiff, which suits this bike since it accelerates very well. I threw on some Black Edition Continental 4 Seasons, as this is my early morning training bike. The tires feel slightly slower than the GP5000s, but are supposed to be more durable. They match the wheels too, since they're all-black. Anyway, here are some photos...

Likes For Caliwild:
Old 11-30-22, 07:17 PM
thin_concrete
Achtung!

Bikes: 60.1, Marvel

Quoted: 515 Post(s)
Liked 268 Times in 161 Posts
Bummer to hear the Mavic got bent after hitting the pothole, but the new wheels look great!

I sold my BIL my Ksyrium SLSs a while ago. I kind of regret it given they are a great wheel, but I moved on to Boyd and Flo.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.