Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

I've Got to Learn to Say No.

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 04-23-22, 05:42 PM
Chuck M 
Happy With My Bikes

Bikes: Hi-Ten bike boomers, a Trek Domane and some projects

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 868 Post(s)
Liked 2,278 Times in 1,100 Posts

A month or so back I was picking up my grandkids from their Sunday school class. One of the church ladies said to her husband "Maybe Chuck can do it". She described that she would like the tires fixed on their bikes so they could ride them with nicer weather coming. I told the husband if he brought me the wheels I would check out the tubes and tires. What he actually wanted was for me to overhaul the bikes like some of mine that they had seen me post before and afters on social media of. Being church family I said I would give them a going over, fix the flats, adjust the brakes and shifting, and lube the bike up. They brought me two neglected department store bikes that I have not had the initiative to work on until today. Because I feel guilty about working on the three bike restores of my own before these I haven't got anywhere on them. I really want to get my Hercules built Western Flyer 3 speed on the road so I drug the out to the patio today.

Chains, freewheels, cables, brake pads, and tubes alone are more than I would want to put into them. I won't charge them anything for labor which I'm afraid will be a mistake as it will make it attractive to others to use me for projects like this. But I'm a pushover for friends, family and people in need.

I think it is going to be best to just to free the rusty chains up and make them operational because frankly, I don't think they will ride them. But I feel like that lowers the standards of my work. I guess the Lord expects me to have a happier heart for Church family than this.

Likes For Chuck M:
Old 04-23-22, 05:53 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5219 Post(s)
Liked 3,564 Times in 2,331 Posts
ouch! get yer brush ready, eh?
Likes For rumrunn6:
Old 04-23-22, 06:25 PM
Bald Paul

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 806 Post(s)
Liked 1,612 Times in 764 Posts
Sometimes you're better off just saying that the bike is in need of a lot of work, and replacement parts are (a) expensive, and (b) hard to come by now due to supply shortages. Doesn't matter if it's true or not.
Old 04-23-22, 06:32 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 878 Post(s)
Liked 2,019 Times in 1,055 Posts
A friend of mine used to unashamedly wear a t-shirt that said "NO I WON'T FIX YOUR COMPUTER". Being the computer nerd in the family, it was a necessity. Something along those lines would solve the problem.
Likes For downtube42:
Old 04-23-22, 06:40 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,910 Times in 1,884 Posts
put together one of them their fancy spreadsheets outlying all the parts it could potentially need & if you're up-to-date with supply times/pricing, tag that on it too. If you present the itemized parts estimate & there pocket develops a financial hole, make sure you're up-to-date with your Tdap shot & cancel plans for your next few weekends.
Old 04-23-22, 06:44 PM
qwaalodge
Banned.

Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked 79 Times in 61 Posts
The cassette looks like it's never been used.

It also seems dirt cheap Chinese bolts and screws have good quality because they never rust.
Old 04-23-22, 07:05 PM
Chuck M 
Happy With My Bikes

Originally Posted by Troul
If you present the itemized parts estimate & there pocket develops a financial hole, make sure you're up-to-date with your Tdap shot & cancel plans for your next few weekends.
I think if I were to include labor with a legitimate but fair rate, I could scare them out of fixing them. Then I'd be afraid they would leave them with me. I did see a bike like the black one on facebook marketplace recently for $60 that was ridable. I thought about picking it up and saving myself twice that much grief.

Originally Posted by qwaalodge

It also seems dirt cheap Chinese bolts and screws have good quality because they never rust.
The cheap Chinese freewheels certainly rust. One of the freewheels has a lot of wobble from probably the cheap hubs and the other one doesn't freewheel. If it did freewheel, I'd expect it to wobble even worse.

Likes For Chuck M:
Old 04-23-22, 07:14 PM
Troul 

The rust likely came about when it was ridden the one time it was exercised & wore off the chinesium coating off. The hardware that is not rusting might be from never being touched with a tool to scathe the chinesium coating off; which would mean it never was serviced.
Old 04-23-22, 07:18 PM
skidder
Pennylane Splitter

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1751 Post(s)
Liked 1,422 Times in 973 Posts
Originally Posted by Chuck M
I think if I were to include labor with a legitimate but fair rate, I could scare them out of fixing them. Then I'd be afraid they would leave them with me. I did see a bike like the black one on facebook marketplace recently for $60 that was ridable. I thought about picking it up and saving myself twice that much grief. .
I've seen that happen, but not with bicycles. I was recently at a local lawnmower repair shop and the owner had (literally!) 200+ old mowers in his rear yard. Seems folks bring in the old ones, he tells them how much it'll cost to fix them, and they just leave them there and buy a new one. He just drains out the oil and gas, takes off any parts he wants to keep, then stores them in the rear yard and has a junk collector come by once a year to pick up the carcasses of the old ones.
Likes For skidder:
Old 04-23-22, 07:32 PM
Chuck M 
Happy With My Bikes

The rust likely came about when it was ridden the one time it was exercised & wore off the chinesium coating off. The hardware that is not rusting might be from never being touched with a tool to scathe the chinesium coating off; which would mean it never was serviced.
This I believe is 100% accurate. It also didn't help that they were obviously stored outside long enough to fade the red paint on the fenders of one of them and the other one has mildew on it.

Old 04-23-22, 07:43 PM
Troul 

This I believe is 100% accurate. It also didn't help that they were obviously stored outside long enough to fade the red paint on the fenders of one of them and the other one has mildew on it.
Sometimes a reality check needs to be made. Making the owners come back down to earth is what needs to happen. It's a BSO, the quality is not intended to serve generations of riders, potential cheaper comparable ready to ride solutions have already been identified for purchase.

Take away there wine cups, wafers, & show them the light!
Old 04-23-22, 08:02 PM
SpedFast
Just Pedaling

Bikes: YEP!

Quoted: 313 Post(s)
Liked 491 Times in 325 Posts
I get them from the neighbors around here all the time. "Can you take a look at this for me? It doesn't shift and I see you out riding your bikes all the time so obviously you know how to work on them." And the bikes can usually be bought new for under a hundred bucks. Knowing they won't ride them anyway, I usually put on old parts out of my bins (even used cables and housings) oil everything up so it looks like it just came out of the tar pits, (black oil hides rust) adjust the seat and handle bars for them and they're usually happy with a "Don't worry about the cost. I enjoyed doing it," comment. I might not have enjoyed it, but hey,
Likes For SpedFast:
Old 04-23-22, 08:03 PM
Chuck M 
Happy With My Bikes

Had I looked at them before agreeing to "fix their flats", I would have probably explained that they would be better off just going to Walmart-Mart and getting a couple of replacements. But I don't think they would have done that and this way they may ride them. And I do genuinely hope they ride them at least some this summer as they both need the physical exercise.

Likes For Chuck M:
Old 04-23-22, 08:14 PM
qwaalodge
Banned.

I think if I were to include labor with a legitimate but fair rate, I could scare them out of fixing them. Then I'd be afraid they would leave them with me. I did see a bike like the black one on facebook marketplace recently for $60 that was ridable. I thought about picking it up and saving myself twice that much grief.

The cheap Chinese freewheels certainly rust. One of the freewheels has a lot of wobble from probably the cheap hubs and the other one doesn't freewheel. If it did freewheel, I'd expect it to wobble even worse.

Your service will cost more than the bike! You should tell them the truth. They should get better bike because the ones they have is more difficult to maintain.
Old 04-23-22, 08:23 PM
Chuck M 
Happy With My Bikes

They should get better bike because the ones they have is more difficult to maintain.
Not if they don't maintain them.

Honestly I'm not too upset about this and I do want to help them. I'm just letting off a little steam with this thread because I have put off working on three of my bikes because I didn't want to work on these. I have nobody to blame but me for trying to be a nice guy.

Old 04-23-22, 08:33 PM
Troul 

Had I looked at them before agreeing to "fix their flats", I would have probably explained that they would be better off just going to Walmart-Mart and getting a couple of replacements. But I don't think they would have done that and this way they may ride them. And I do genuinely hope they ride them at least some this summer as they both need the physical exercise.
Usually, if the owner is willing to ante up for a decent chunk of cash & is investing some of there own other resources (often it's time laboring for getting parts) they would be more likely to mash those pedals & take more care of the bicycle.

I don't expect the bicycle to have a better second chance at life...
Old 04-23-22, 08:35 PM
Chuck M 
Happy With My Bikes

I don't expect the bicycle to have a better second chance at life...
Again, probably 100% accurate.

Old 04-23-22, 08:37 PM
Troul 

I have nobody to blame but me for trying to be a nice guy.
I disagree. You can be a nice person & not be blindsided volunteered to take on other's responsibilities. If those that truly know you, know you, they would respect you by not putting you out by signing you up for projects that are not any of your business.
Old 04-23-22, 10:24 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1935 Post(s)
Liked 2,150 Times in 1,313 Posts
I helped out a neighbor on a bike that was left outside. Replaced a front wheel (pretty cheap), chain, brake pads, cables, and shifter. I did tell him that he had to keep it inside out of the weather or the same thing would happen again. But it was an old Nishiki hybrid, so there was at least some value.

I am kind of surprised more people don’t ask me to work on their bikes. It must be me; something I can be thankful for.

My pet peeve is bikes left out in the weather when there is a garage to keep it from rusting.

My advice, should you fix them up, is to stress, and I mean stress how important that a bike absolutely must be stored inside. That all the damage could have been avoided if the bikes were stored out of the weather.

And for good measure throw in wanting to be a good steward with what has been provided to them. That should keep them from coming back a second time.

John
Likes For 70sSanO:
Old 04-23-22, 11:36 PM
SkinGriz
Live not by lies.

Bikes: BigBox bikes.

Quoted: 860 Post(s)
Liked 784 Times in 582 Posts
Maybe negotiate terms?

Is the dad good at grilling? Does the mom bake a good pie? Can the kids mow your lawn or drop off used motor oil for you?

Just some ideas.

Are the kids the type to always be on the video games or something?
Old 04-23-22, 11:53 PM
qwaalodge
Banned.

Not if they don't maintain them.

Honestly I'm not too upset about this and I do want to help them. I'm just letting off a little steam with this thread because I have put off working on three of my bikes because I didn't want to work on these. I have nobody to blame but me for trying to be a nice guy.

All good then. We probably should trade luck. I sometimes offer to fix people's bikes and they would say NO.
Likes For qwaalodge:
Old 04-24-22, 04:49 AM
Chuck M 
Happy With My Bikes

Originally Posted by 70sSanO
I am kind of surprised more people don’t ask me to work on their bikes. It must be me; something I can be thankful for.
Ironically, I've often been told I appear unapproachable. Yet I seem to be the go to guy to fix things in a couple of other organizations I'm involved with.

Originally Posted by SkinGriz
Is the dad good at grilling? Does the mom bake a good pie?
What is funny about that is he is the one to do the grilling at church cookouts and she organizes the kitchen for church dinners.

Old 04-24-22, 05:50 AM
Bald Paul

Quoted: 806 Post(s)
Liked 1,612 Times in 764 Posts
There is, unfortunately, one additional thing to think about before becoming the local 'I'll fix your junker bike up' guy.

A lot of these gems were barely safe enough to ride when they were brand new, with questionable brakes, etc. Should you decide to bring back one of the rusty, previously non-maintained beauties to a state where someone would actually not be too embarrassed to be seen riding it, and something go very badly (that brake cable you didn't replace suddenly snaps, causing the rider - who most likely isn't wearing a helmet - to go butt over teakettle after striking the object he/she was trying to stop for) don't be surprised if the same person who thought you should be nominated for the Nobel prize for 'fixing' the bike suddenly decides you're the reason he/she has brain damage, and sues you for perpetual care.

"I see you riding your bike all the time, so you must know how to work on them, right?"
"I see you driving your car all the time, so you must know how to overhaul my automatic transmission, right?" Just direct them to the LBS. Usually the shop owner will give them an estimate that will solve the issue right then and there.
Likes For Bald Paul:
Old 04-24-22, 06:14 AM
Kai Winters

Bikes: Specialized Aethos, Specialized Diverge Comp E5

Quoted: 234 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 257 Posts
"No good deed goes unpunished"
I've wrenched in shops for 30+ years and...sigh...the vast majority of bikes I've had the "pleasure" or servicing have been dept store bikes.
I also was the person everyone in the neighborhood went to when their bikes needed repair. I always fixed the kids bikes...made sure they were safe and rideable, but when it came to lazy ass adults that wanted me to fix the pos bikes for free I drew the line. Upon realizing I was being taken advantage of I always state I charge $50 per hour plus parts, paid in advance in cash before I'd touch their bike. This quickly got rid of the "users" that just wanted something for nothing. Those that agreed got great service and I rarely charged for labor, usually just a few bucks depending on the condition of the bike and the quality of the person. A holes paid through the nose. If someone complained I never touch their bike again no matter how much they offered to pay.
While I pissed off some people, those that take advantage of others...good riddance...I also made some quality friends and acquaintances that are worth their weight in gold.
Likes For Kai Winters:
Old 04-24-22, 06:21 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5219 Post(s)
Liked 3,564 Times in 2,331 Posts
a friend asked me to look at her new bike to make it rideable. that was the 1st clue. her husband bought her a cheap bike online but it "wasn't working". I couldn't say no. I mean how bad could a new bike be? she brought it to my home offered to leave it. I thought it might need some minor adjustments. what a pice of cr*p it was. I don't know know how some of the parts were manufactured. I told her the truth & sent her away, with the bike

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.