Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Spoke wrench recommendations ?

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 11-19-22, 02:29 PM
j13ag

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts

These days I'm doing a lot of recovery work on some old wheels. That means that encountering frozen nipples is common and I'm looking for tools that can handle the job better then the Park Tool SW-1 (spoke wrench) I've got. Too many of those nipples are getting rounded off by the tool despite liberal use of a variety of penetrants. I end up having to replace nipples and sometimes both nipples and spokes. Getting those damaged nipples off with vice grips can be done but is a PITA.

I think that what I need is a 3-sided or 4 sided spoke wrench that is designed for the 3.30 mm nipples that I'm finding on a lot of these wheels. The hope is that this kind of wrench will not damage nipples as often.

For smaller (3.23 mm) nipples, I've got a P&K Lie wrench which works very well and for larger ones (3.45 mm) I've picked up a Park Tool SW-42 which looks like it will be good. The Unior 16302p which purports to be designed for 3.30 mm nipples doesn't seem to fit them (?).

Can you recommend a 3 or 4 sided spoke wrench that is designed for 3.30 mm nipples ?

Park Tool used to make something called SW-10, which had a clamping mechanism. Is there anything like that available now ?

Thanks for your help.

-jg-
Old 11-19-22, 03:01 PM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1792 Post(s)
Liked 1,671 Times in 955 Posts
The problem with multi sided spoke wrenches is that they are multi sided and you can easily use the wrong side and round off a nipple. I have a full set of Park spoke wrenches, all colours. The only time I have rounded off a nipple has been on wheels that have more than one size nipple. I have more often broken a spoke with a seized nipple
Old 11-19-22, 04:17 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4253 Post(s)
Liked 3,866 Times in 2,579 Posts
It looks like all the Park Tool Master Spoke Wrenches have been discontinued but I like those they feel good in the hand and so long as you use the correct one you should be set.

The DT Swiss Spokey Pro felt nice but it is for 3.25mm square nipples only (generally found on higher quality wheels).

I wouldn't really do a multi sided key unless it were for travel usage and I had friends going with alternative spike nipple sizes. I want to have one for each size separately so I don't accidentally use the incorrect one which could be quite easy to do.
Old 11-19-22, 05:01 PM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,095 Times in 741 Posts
I think you guys are misinterpreting what the OP is looking for. I agree those small ring-type multi-size spoke wrenches with several different size slots around their edge are a poor excuse for spoke wrenches. But, I believe he is looking for a spoke wrench with a 3-sided nipple opening so it contacts 3 of the 4 sides of the nipple and has less chance of slipping and rounding it off. I think I've seen those but don't know who the maker is.
Likes For HillRider:
Old 11-19-22, 05:23 PM
sweeks

Bikes: Airborne "Carpe Diem", Motobecane "Mirage", Trek 6000, Strida 2, Dahon "Helios XL", Dahon "Mu XL", Tern "Verge S11i"

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 978 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 395 Posts
Park Tools seems to have one Four-Sided spoke wrench, but they also have several sizes with a 3-sided slot.
Old 11-19-22, 05:25 PM
j13ag

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Based on replies from veganbikes and alcjphil I should clarify my use of '2-sided', '4-sided' when referring to different types of spoke wrenches.

I'm referring to the number of sides of the nipple that the jaw of the wrench are designed to hold.
- In the case of the P&K Lie wrench - it grabs that nipple on all four sides. I have never rounded a nipple using that wrench. Its excellent.
- The Park Tool SW-1, you could call it a 3-sided jaw, but really only the 2 faces on the sides are working for you. This is the wrench thats rounding nipples on very high tension or rusted spokes.

(I would post pictures but the forum rules won't let me do that 'cause I'm a noob.)

I was not referring to wrenches that have jaws of various sizes, the multi-tool approach. I stay away from those because they tend to be of lower quality and as others have mentioned its too easy to get the wrong set of jaws on the nipple when there are more then one to choose from

-jg-

Last edited by j13ag; 11-19-22 at 06:00 PM.
Old 11-19-22, 05:53 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 929 Post(s)
Liked 1,595 Times in 1,021 Posts
I can understand the original OP request. There are so many different spoke wrenches out there now days. I stick with Park but that's because they just happen to be the ones I originally got after loosing the Campagnolo wrench I brought back from Italy The three and four sided issue I was not even aware of till youse guys pointed it out...
Old 11-19-22, 07:43 PM
jnbrown

Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked 95 Times in 52 Posts
Likes For jnbrown:
Old 11-19-22, 11:18 PM
j13ag

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Right the Spokey. It is designed to work on 3.25 mm square nipples. The P&K Lie wrench I have also targets that size as does the Park Tool SW-40. All are '4-sided' wrenches.

I'm looking for something similar that will work on 3.30 mm. nipples.
Old 11-20-22, 12:35 AM
redshift1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked 52 Times in 35 Posts
I found a cheap 3.30 mm one on-line that is four-sided but I don't think the quality is there. ( It's also in Australia. )

If you can't find what you want, as a last resort maybe you can buy a good quality spoke wrench for 3.20 ( or 3.25 ) mm spoke nipples, and use a suitable needle file until you get a snug fit ( theoretically removing 0.05 mm ( 2 thou ) from each face. )

Filing things like this was once a great fitting skill but maybe you have the patience to try it.
Old 11-20-22, 01:08 AM
2_i 

Bikes: Trek 730 (quad), 720 & 830, Bike Friday NWT, Brompton M36R & M6R, Dahon HAT060 & HT060, ...

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 834 Post(s)
Liked 332 Times in 247 Posts
Originally Posted by j13ag
Park Tool used to make something called SW-10, which had a clamping mechanism. Is there anything like that available now ?
I have the SW-10, that I got after having mixed experiences with other spoke wrenches. There is another one of that particular design, Hozan C-122. While it also seems out of production, there is someone on Ebay selling out an old stock of these. I would grab one of these Hozans.
Old 11-20-22, 02:21 AM
Ross200

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 34 Posts
Pedros

Uinor?

Icetools
Old 11-20-22, 10:32 AM
KerryIrons

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 497 Post(s)
Liked 622 Times in 346 Posts
Originally Posted by j13ag
Getting those damaged nipples off with vice grips can be done but is a PITA.
If you're having trouble removing the nipples with vice grips then it is unlikely that a good wrench like a Spokey will help much. These things are corroded in place and if the penetrating oil doesn't work, you're most likely out of luck. I assume you're using a good penetrant like PB Blaster or Kroil.
Likes For KerryIrons:
Old 11-20-22, 01:00 PM
j13ag

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 2_i
I have the SW-10, that I got after having mixed experiences with other spoke wrenches. There is another one of that particular design, Hozan C-122. While it also seems out of production, there is someone on Ebay selling out an old stock of these. I would grab one of these Hozans.
Thanks for the point to the Hozan . I'm headed there now ...
-jg-
Old 11-20-22, 01:01 PM
j13ag

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Filing skills ? No here. 8-)
Thanks for the suggestion though.
-jg-
Likes For j13ag:
Old 11-21-22, 02:00 AM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3846 Post(s)
Liked 6,437 Times in 3,183 Posts
I've used a Park 3-sided wrench forever. Love it.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/12488916682...Bk9SR4TZh5OTYQ