Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Schwalbe Pro One TLE vs Conti GP5000S TR

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-22, 07:09 AM
ZHVelo

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 528 Post(s)
Liked 230 Times in 161 Posts

Are the latter worth 31 more per tyre?

Where I live I can have the former for 48, the latter for 79 (if at all). I already have the former and am quite happy with them, however, I wanted to just try the other ones. I would never know if I prefer one over the other if I never tried the other. However, at that price differential, I want to ask people who have ridden both, is it even worth it to try?
Old 12-12-22, 08:22 AM
DangerousDanR

Bikes: Time Scylon, Lynskey R350, Ritchey Breakaway, Ritchey Double Switchback, Lynskey Ridgeline, ICAN Fatbike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 463 Post(s)
Liked 546 Times in 306 Posts
My experience with the Schwalbe is with tires that were made several years ago and they probably have been improved to some extent. I was running the 700 x 25 mm on my solo road bike.

I found them to be fragile. Of the four I bought, three failed with less than 1000 miles from sidewall cuts. The fourth one went on the shelf when I mounted GP5000 TLE.

I later put it back on the bike after one of the GP failures and the bike started speed wobbling at around 25 MPH. The folks I was riding with at the time said that it scared them spitless, and I didn't enjoy it much either.

The GP5000s all lasted more than 2000 miles on the rear, but three of the eight have had sudden sidewall ruptures, with one of them happening at over 20 MPH.

​​​​​​I have been running one of the new GP5000 S TR tubeless on the rear with no issues so far. I have over 1000 miles on it now, so if my femur heals the way it should, I will be past 2000 miles in June.

I'm also running a Vittoria Corsa 2.0 on the front. It is much less expensive than the GP5000 and performance out to about 1000 miles has been excellent on the front, with the GP TR on the rear.

I plan on trying to wear the GP out with hopefully no more sidewall ruptures. Then, depending on the price difference and on how well the Corsa performs I will either run the GP5000 STR or the Corsa.

I have been running GP5000 TL on the tandem, 700x32, and I am on my second set with no issues. I ran the rear down to the end of the wear dimples and then ran a bunch of backer board screws into it to see if it would seal (it did) the holes and hold air.

I would not buy a new 700x25 GP5000 TL or Schwalbe because of the nature of the failures. I could easily have had 4 serious crashes due to tire failures.

And, yes. I check the pressure before every ride with a known accurate digital gauge. I am running pressures below the manufacturer specified limit and a little above what Silca recommends.
Old 12-12-22, 09:33 AM
oris
I like speed

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix Hi Mod, Specialized Allez Sprint, Bottecchia Emme 4 SL

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 121 Times in 61 Posts
For $31 more a tire, I'd say no.

I've ridden the GP5K TL, not the TR, and currently use the Pro One TLE. IME I didn't notice any handling differences that would warrant the extra cost. Something to keep in mind is the effort to install; GP's in general are notoriously hard to mount. I haven't any serious punctures since going tubeless but I avoid tires that would be difficult to mount on the road.
Old 12-12-22, 12:37 PM
DaveSSS 

Bikes: Cinelli superstar disc, two Yoeleo R12

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1097 Post(s)
Liked 559 Times in 446 Posts
There are many good brands you can try. $48 isn't a typical price in the USA, but you might find any brand on sale at different times. I just bought a pair of Pirelli P- zero tubeless tires for $98, but $90 each is more common. They're my current favorite. I also use Michelin tubeless. I've seen Panaracer tubeless for $68 a pair. Vittoria tubeless can also be found on sale at times.

Yes, I didn't specifically answer your question. I've never tried Schwalbe tires. There are so many to choose from.

I use mostly hookless rims with the pressures recommended by the zipp pressure calculator. It is wise to verify the accuracy of your pressure gauge, but digital gauges can be inaccurate, just like analog gauges.
Old 12-12-22, 02:22 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Originally Posted by DangerousDanR
My experience with the Schwalbe is with tires that were made several years ago and they probably have been improved to some extent.
Yes, they have been improved. I avoided the Pro One TLE because of that reputation of fragility but jumped on the Pro One Evo Addix when they were introduced and reviews indicated that they were more hardy. I didn't have any issues with them, wearing a couple of rear tires down to the cords. They are still my all-around favorite tubeless tire, though I've found a handful that are also very good in their own right and worthwhile if the price is right.
Old 12-12-22, 05:14 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6193 Post(s)
Liked 4,809 Times in 3,317 Posts
What width are you comparing for each. 25 mm wide GP 5000 TRs are $59.00 here.....

https://bikecloset.com/product-categ...ssories/tires/

And they still have some of those in stock in the basic black wall GP 5000 S TR. Didn't check the others.

edit:
Oh... never mind I should have looked at your location before suggesting.
Old 12-13-22, 06:27 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4405 Post(s)
Liked 4,856 Times in 3,004 Posts
Originally Posted by ZHVelo
As much as I like the Contis, it would be hard to justify that price difference. As you are already happy with Schwalbe I doubt you would notice any benefit from switching - other than the extra cost!
Old 12-13-22, 07:03 AM
vespasianus

Bikes: Turner 5-Spot Burner converted; IBIS Ripley, Specialized Crave, Tommasini Sintesi, Cinelli Superstar, Tommasini X-Fire Gravel

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 406 Post(s)
Liked 389 Times in 219 Posts
I have run just Continental's on my bike but recently, because of a shortage, am running a Schwalbe Pro One TLE on the front and a Conti GP5000S TR in the back. Both in 700 x 25 size and both tubeless.

The one thing I notice is that the Conti was easier to both mount and seat. Was really surprised at that as my old GP5000 TL was just terrible to mount. The Schwalbe went on easy, but took lots of massaging to get to seat evenly.

On the road, there is a very noticeable ride difference. The Schwalbe is surprisingly much more supple and comfortable than the Conti that it replaced (700 x 28). Did not expect that at all and really surprised.

In terms of rolling resistance, don't notice anything different. Back to back rides showed no change in speed or power. Again, a little surprised at that.

Personally, my feeling now is that I want to always run a 700x28 tire (or larger if I can) and I would happily buy and ride the Schwalbe Pro One over a set of Continentals.
Old 12-13-22, 07:29 AM
robbyville

Bikes: Speedvagen Steel

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 429 Post(s)
Liked 248 Times in 156 Posts
I have both and have ridden both. Although I have a love/hate relationship with the Conti’s (even the new TR variation is an incredibly difficult mount on my rims), I would not pay that much of a differential. FWIW to those who feel that it would be a challenge to fix roadside, my experience is that the tires stretch enough once on a rim that rotation or road side repair is not particularly difficult, just initial install.

every Schwalbe tire I’ve used including the various iterations of the Pro One TLE, has been a lovely ride, but not quite as long lasting or as stable feeling as the Conti’s. But not so different as to justify that kind of price difference. My experience though is only based on 25mm sizes
Old 12-13-22, 10:30 AM
Caliwild

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 414 Post(s)
Liked 682 Times in 285 Posts
every Schwalbe tire I’ve used including the various iterations of the Pro One TLE, has been a lovely ride, but not quite as long lasting or as stable feeling as the Conti’s. But not so different as to justify that kind of price difference. My experience though is only based on 25mm sizes[/QUOTE]

I totally agree with the quote above... Even on 28s, the Schwalbes feel a bit more "supple." I know you didn't ask for any other options, but this is BF and I've learned that to be a good BF'er you have to give unsolicited opinions

So, I just want to throw out the Enve tires as well. Been running them on two bikes and they're almost a perfect compromise between the GP5000TRs and the Pro One TLE. Not as supple as the Schwalbe and not as long-lasting as the Contis. I like them a lot so far and they seem very well made. Plus, they're about $75/tire, which isn't too terrible...
Likes For Caliwild:
Old 12-13-22, 12:10 PM
msu2001la

Quoted: 1461 Post(s)
Liked 1,485 Times in 870 Posts
I've got around 2000 miles on a pair of 28mm GP5000 S TR's - not a single flat during that time and they look to still have plenty of tread left. I like these tires a lot, they're grippy and roll fast.

I'd definitely buy again, but probably not at the price differential that the OP is noting. I'd try the Shwalbes in that case.
Old 12-13-22, 01:10 PM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by msu2001la
I'd definitely buy again, but probably not at the price differential that the OP is noting. I'd try the Shwalbes in that case.
Yeah, I mean, none of these newer generation flagship tires sucks. I really like the Schwalbe, and I'd really love to try the Conti.... but the Pirelli have been great, as have the Michelin, and there's the new Corsa N.EXT that Excel has on sale for $48 a pop, etc, etc. There are just too many good flavors out there to warrant an extra $60/pair, IMO.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 12-13-22, 01:40 PM
robbyville

Bikes: Speedvagen Steel

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 429 Post(s)
Liked 248 Times in 156 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
Yeah, I mean, none of these newer generation flagship tires sucks. I really like the Schwalbe, and I'd really love to try the Conti.... but the Pirelli have been great, as have the Michelin, and there's the new Corsa N.EXT that Excel has on sale for $48 a pop, etc, etc. There are just too many good flavors out there to warrant an extra $60/pair, IMO.
This…absolutely, and I love trying new tires
Old 12-13-22, 05:56 PM
DangerousDanR

Bikes: Time Scylon, Lynskey R350, Ritchey Breakaway, Ritchey Double Switchback, Lynskey Ridgeline, ICAN Fatbike

Quoted: 463 Post(s)
Liked 546 Times in 306 Posts
If the Corsa don't do anything horrid they will be my solo bike road tires for all of the summer 2023, because they seem to ride and corner every bit as good as the GP5000 TR and they cost less.

I have had 2 of the 25mm Conti TLs suffer sidewall ruptures while riding with one being a near miss splatter, and third blow out while sitting waiting for a group ride to start. I have had a speed wobble above 25 MPH that appeared immediately after a 25mm Schwalbe Pro One TLE was mounted which went away as soon as I swapped the tire for a Corsa 2.0.

I suppose to be fair, when the GP5000 TR on the back wears out I should buy a new Schwalbe and put it on the front while the Corsa goes to the rear. Then switch it to the rear when the Corsa wears out.

And the GP5000 TLs 32mm tires on the tandem have been flawless, so I will use the ones that I have on the shelf.

The one thing I will not do is buy any older Schwalbe or GP5000 TL in 25mm. Both of those tires have tried to kill me.
Old 12-14-22, 01:42 PM
msu2001la

Quoted: 1461 Post(s)
Liked 1,485 Times in 870 Posts
I would avoid the 5000 TL's in general. I never had a problem with mine out on the road, but the 5000S TR is much, much easier to mount and is compatible with hookless rims.
Old 12-14-22, 08:14 PM
jnbrown

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked 95 Times in 52 Posts
You can order Schwalbe from Bike24 for really good prices.
They are both good tires I don’t think there is big difference.
Old 12-14-22, 09:26 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Yes, they have been improved. I avoided the Pro One TLE because of that reputation of fragility but jumped on the Pro One Evo Addix when they were introduced and reviews indicated that they were more hardy. I didn't have any issues with them, wearing a couple of rear tires down to the cords. They are still my all-around favorite tubeless tire, though I've found a handful that are also very good in their own right and worthwhile if the price is right.
This is good to hear. I had the same experience with kids of sidewall cuts and tires meeting their ends with few miles. Loved them otherwise, they rode absolutely well. I didn't realize this had been improved and I know what my next tires will be.
Old 12-15-22, 04:24 AM
phrantic09
Fat n slow

Bikes: Cervelo R3, Giant Revolt

Quoted: 3259 Post(s)
Liked 2,085 Times in 979 Posts
Did you pick up the agilest when they were on sale?
I really like them
Old 12-15-22, 07:04 AM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by phrantic09
Did you pick up the agilest when they were on sale?
I really like them
No, I probably should have, but I've been itching to try some Vittoria and didn't want to put it off for another year.
Old 12-15-22, 09:25 AM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 989 Post(s)
Liked 586 Times in 440 Posts
Originally Posted by ZHVelo

Where I live I can have the former for 48, the latter for 79 (if at all). I already have the former and am quite happy with them, however, I wanted to just try the other ones. I would never know if I prefer one over the other if I never tried the other. However, at that price differential, I want to ask people who have ridden both, is it even worth it to try?
I'd say no. Too much price difference (70% more expensive?). Never ridden GP5Ks, but I've been using Pro Ones for the past 3 seasons and I have no complaints whatsoever. They wear fast so I buy 3 tires and swap the rear one mid season.

I used to get the 28mm Pro Ones for 40-50$, but with the increased demand for 28mm tires, they are now close to 70$. 30mms are 25$ cheaper than 28mms, which is total BS if you ask my opinion.

Last edited by eduskator; 12-15-22 at 09:32 AM.
Old 12-15-22, 05:18 PM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon, 2017 Jamis Renegade Exploit and too many others to mention.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 863 Times in 573 Posts
IMO, Contis are overrated.

I run Vittoria Rubino Pros and get about 3000 miles out of a rear tire before needing to replace it. I get less than one flat per year.

I tried Vittoria Corsas because of hearing about their ride plushness. I honestly can't tell a difference in the ride quality between the Rubinos and the Corsas. So IMO, no reason to spend the extra $$ on the more fragile Corsas when they don't ride any nicer than the Rubinos.
Old 12-25-22, 02:58 PM
Chandne

Bikes: 2022 Moots RCS, 2014 BMC SLR01 DA Mech, 2020 Santa Cruz Stigmata, Ibis Ripmo, Trek Top Fuel, Specialized Levo SL, Norco Bigfoot VLT

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 118 Posts
Good info! I picked up some Conti 5000 TL (32) for the second road bike and some Pirelli Cinturato Velos for the primary. Will be good to compare the two. If the TRs are not as seemingly flat-prone by the time I need tires again, I'll get those or the Schwalbes. For the third road bike, I stocked up on six GP4000 tube-type. That USED to be the primary road bike, so maybe I don't really need six.