Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Schwinn "LeToaster"

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Schwinn "LeToaster"

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-22, 03:44 PM
beng1
Banned

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 348 Times in 195 Posts
Schwinn "LeToaster"

This is my first single-speed or coaster-braked bike to ride since the mid-1970s. Built up from a 1979 Schwinn LeTour frame/rims, a coaster hub from a Schwinn Breeze, a stem and seat-post from a World-Sport, and drop-bars, tires and tubes from a Schwinn Sprint. The cranks are off a Motobecane I used to race in the 1990s. Bike works great running 52/20 gearing. This is a video of it's first big ride; https://www.*****ute.com/video/EWbCvir8L56T/

Likes For beng1:
Old 01-24-23, 05:53 PM
beng1
Banned

Switched to a 1/8" single-speed specific 50t front sprocket a few weeks ago, replacing the 52T ten-speed style chain-wheel. I noticed no difference in riding the bike, but thought with it's longer teeth the chain may have less chance of coming off;

Bendix 70 after I took it apart and cleaned it, looks like zero wear inside;

Likes For beng1:
Old 01-24-23, 10:48 PM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
Looks nice. I also ride a single speed on an old Schwinn lug frame with Bendix coaster hub, for knocking around town, recreational rides, etc. What fun!

I strongly advise getting a front hand brake for a number of reasons. First of all, those Bendix hubs don't really brake all that well, and require more pedal force as you increase your gear ratio. Second, coaster-only has quite a few subtle failure modes that are not worth learning about the hard way, such as if your feet are not securely on the pedals when you need to stop, and having to stop on a steep down slope.

I'm sure that having raced, you can handle a bike better than I can, but it also means that you'll be going a lot faster than me, on a bike that's practically brake-less.
Likes For Gresp15C:
Old 01-30-23, 10:18 AM
rustystrings61 

Bikes: 2002 Mercian Vincitore, 1982 Mercian Colorado, 1976 Puch Royal X, 1973 Raleigh Competition, 1971 Gitane Tour de France and others

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 823 Post(s)
Liked 1,395 Times in 694 Posts
I rode a similar lugged steel Asian-built Schwinn as my college commuter bike. I'll add my voice to the call for a front brake, mine certainly saved my bacon a time or two.
Likes For rustystrings61:
Old 01-30-23, 04:59 PM
beng1
Banned

Originally Posted by rustystrings61
I rode a similar lugged steel Asian-built Schwinn as my college commuter bike. I'll add my voice to the call for a front brake, mine certainly saved my bacon a time or two.
I lowered the gear ratio with the 50t front, so have more braking power now. I weigh well over 200 pounds so have lots of weight to throw on the rear brake, and I have already torture-tested it down some really steep grades from 5% to 8% in the wet and rain even, and had no problems. I do not plan on any more torture tests, just easy riding. I am a baby-boomer, and we grew up riding coaster brake bikes, maybe younger generations that did not are less comfortable with them?
Old 01-30-23, 05:56 PM
joesch

Bikes: 83 Colnago Super, 87 50th Daccordi, 79 & 87 Guerciotti's, 90s DB/GT Mtn Bikes, 90s Colnago Master and Titanio, 96 Serotta Colorado TG, 95/05 Colnago C40/C50, 06 DbyLS TI, 08 Lemond Filmore FG SS, 12 Cervelo R3, 20/15 Surly Stragler & Steamroller

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 600 Post(s)
Liked 778 Times in 496 Posts
Nice to see you try a SS using that 1979 Schwinn LeTour
Perhaps try centering the seat more over the post.
I could not see the link you provided, did not resolve.

I recently revived a Schwinn Steel 1020 lugged tubing called X-tra light which is probably about a decade later.
My SS has Sugino Super Maxi crankset and Weinmann 605 brakes.
I also did a spray job.

Likes For joesch:
Old 01-30-23, 09:03 PM
beng1
Banned

Originally Posted by joesch
Nice to see you try a SS using that 1979 Schwinn LeTour
Perhaps try centering the seat more over the post.
I could not see the link you provided, did not resolve.

I recently revived a Schwinn Steel 1020 lugged tubing called X-tra light which is probably about a decade later.
My SS has Sugino Super Maxi crankset and Weinmann 605 brakes.I also did a spray job.
Nice Schwinn. As far as my riding position goes, it is always funny-strange when people look at photos of bikes on the internet and suggest riding position changes for the owners, and they do it all the time. I would not like the position of your seat and bars for my bikes, but I am certainly not going to assume that what I like would work for someone I don't know and never will know.
Old 01-30-23, 09:10 PM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
Originally Posted by beng1
I lowered the gear ratio with the 50t front, so have more braking power now. I weigh well over 200 pounds so have lots of weight to throw on the rear brake, and I have already torture-tested it down some really steep grades from 5% to 8% in the wet and rain even, and had no problems. I do not plan on any more torture tests, just easy riding. I am a baby-boomer, and we grew up riding coaster brake bikes, maybe younger generations that did not are less comfortable with them?
I'm a baby boomer too, and grew up with coaster brakes. What's changed? At least in my life, I moved from a sleepy suburb to a more dense urban area with more car traffic, so there's less margin for error. And we now have access to better information.

But of course on the Internet, we can only guess as to each other's situations, and I'm not going to be a scold about it.
Old 01-31-23, 07:37 AM
joesch

Bikes: 83 Colnago Super, 87 50th Daccordi, 79 & 87 Guerciotti's, 90s DB/GT Mtn Bikes, 90s Colnago Master and Titanio, 96 Serotta Colorado TG, 95/05 Colnago C40/C50, 06 DbyLS TI, 08 Lemond Filmore FG SS, 12 Cervelo R3, 20/15 Surly Stragler & Steamroller

Nice Schwinn. As far as my riding position goes, it is always funny-strange when people look at photos of bikes on the internet and suggest riding position changes for the owners, and they do it all the time. I would not like the position of your seat and bars for my bikes, but I am certainly not going to assume that what I like would work for someone I don't know and never will know.
Yes I understand its a sensitive issue.
Did you use the seat post in reverse position on purpose to help your ride position?
Old 01-31-23, 07:56 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4335 Post(s)
Liked 3,958 Times in 2,646 Posts
There are also people who legitimately don't know about fit or don't know that things are incorrect. There are ways to achieve a good fit but putting a seatpost on backwards or a saddle slammed too far forward or backwards can cause safety issues. It might not be about your fit but about safety or something else. Not everyone knows everything and I have run across plenty of people who know nothing about bikes and need some help (not calling you out or anything just stating those people exist)
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 01-31-23, 09:46 PM
SkinGriz
Live not by lies.

Bikes: BigBox bikes.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 860 Post(s)
Liked 784 Times in 582 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
There are also people who legitimately don't know about fit or don't know that things are incorrect. There are ways to achieve a good fit but putting a seatpost on backwards or a saddle slammed too far forward or backwards can cause safety issues. It might not be about your fit but about safety or something else. Not everyone knows everything and I have run across plenty of people who know nothing about bikes and need some help (not calling you out or anything just stating those people exist)
I don’t know much about bikes.
A friend of mine knows even less.
”My kids bike won’t move at all.”
Me, “Is the brake cable twisted around the headset?”
”No.”

Next time I was at his house sure enough the brake cable had 5 wraps around the headset.

Coaster brakes do have a purpose.
Likes For SkinGriz:
Old 02-01-23, 09:21 AM
TugaDude

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 586 Post(s)
Liked 612 Times in 447 Posts
I think experienced riders should ask questions when they see bike photos that contain questionable conditions. Notice I didn't say wrong, I said questionable. I'm the first one to suggest that whatever makes someone want to ride their bike is good. But, and Veganbikes pointed this out, sometimes it comes down to safety.

Aesthetic issues are subjective. I have never liked the appearance of a backwards seat post for example. Whether it is a safety issue it unclear to me but it certainly isn't designed to be used that way as far as I'm aware. So for that reason alone I'd seek out other options to obtain a comfortable fit.
Likes For TugaDude:
Old 02-01-23, 06:54 PM
beng1
Banned

Yes I understand its a sensitive issue.
Did you use the seat post in reverse position on purpose to help your ride position?
Seat position is not a sensitive issue nor a mystery. Everyone sets their seats how they want for comfort and/or fun. I have had hundreds of comfortable fun miles on this bike just the way it is.
Old 02-02-23, 09:54 AM
joesch

Originally Posted by TugaDude
I think experienced riders should ask questions when they see bike photos that contain questionable conditions. Notice I didn't say wrong, I said questionable. I'm the first one to suggest that whatever makes someone want to ride their bike is good. But, and Veganbikes pointed this out, sometimes it comes down to safety.

Aesthetic issues are subjective. I have never liked the appearance of a backwards seat post for example. Whether it is a safety issue it unclear to me but it certainly isn't designed to be used that way as far as I'm aware. So for that reason alone I'd seek out other options to obtain a comfortable fit.
RE: Everyone sets their seats how they want ...
Agree, I have not seen anyone use the "backwards" seat post alignment either and my question regarding this choice were ignored.
Old 02-02-23, 11:10 AM
TugaDude

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 586 Post(s)
Liked 612 Times in 447 Posts
RE: Everyone sets their seats how they want ...
Agree, I have not seen anyone use the "backwards" seat post alignment either and my question regarding this choice were ignored.
Reversing seat posts is actually fairly common, especially among the triathlete community. Or it used to be anyway. it is amazing how many "regular people" ride their bikes that way because it is a cheap (i.e. free) means to an end.

One article I saw indicated Thomson is OK with using their seat posts "backwards". I didn't verify that, but I'm sure it could be easily. Liability being what it is, I doubt many manufacturers would agree to it unless they had tested it for safety.

I just can't get by the look of it. But they're not my bikes so it doesn't matter.
Likes For TugaDude:
Old 02-02-23, 11:18 AM
joesch

Originally Posted by TugaDude
Reversing seat posts is actually fairly common, especially among the triathlete community. Or it used to be anyway. it is amazing how many "regular people" ride their bikes that way because it is a cheap (i.e. free) means to an end.

One article I saw indicated Thomson is OK with using their seat posts "backwards". I didn't verify that, but I'm sure it could be easily. Liability being what it is, I doubt many manufacturers would agree to it unless they had tested it for safety.

I just can't get by the look of it. But they're not my bikes so it doesn't matter.
Interesting and I was not aware of this practice in the tri comm.
Still I would think a more centered placement on the rails would provide a more secure and thus safer setup.
Im surprised it has worked for this case "hundreds of comfortable fun miles on this bike just the way it is".
Old 02-22-23, 11:02 AM
beng1
Banned

The weight on the seat of a bicycle is on the wide part of the seat at the very back, this is why having the rear of the seat directly over the seatpost, or at least closer to it, is always going to put less stress on the parts than having the back of the seat further from the center of the seatpost. The only drawback is that because the seatpost is not in the center of the seat rails, which are the seats suspension spring, the ride more harsh in theory, but I have not been bothered enough by it at all. My guess is that at some point having the seat in this position on older bikes will become common and accepted, especially after the hipsters latch onto it as one of their exercises in fashion.
Old 02-22-23, 08:58 PM
Senrab62 
It's the little things

Bikes: Too many, yet not enough

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 279 Post(s)
Liked 326 Times in 147 Posts
the weight on the seat of a bicycle is on the wide part of the seat at the very back, this is why having the rear of the seat directly over the seatpost, or at least closer to it, is always going to put less stress on the parts than having the back of the seat further from the center of the seatpost. The only drawback is that because the seatpost is not in the center of the seat rails, which are the seats suspension spring, the ride more harsh in theory, but i have not been bothered enough by it at all. My guess is that at some point having the seat in this position on older bikes will become common and accepted, especially after the hipsters latch onto it as one of their exercises in fashion.
👀.....
Old 06-09-23, 03:28 PM
th3realmckay

Bikes: '14 Leader Renovatio, '96 Trek 1400, '88 Fisher Montare XT

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 34 Posts
"My guess is that at some point having the seat in this position on older bikes will become common and accepted, especially after the hipsters latch onto it as one of their exercises in fashion."

I can't even with this guy.
Likes For th3realmckay:
Old 07-02-23, 06:40 AM
beng1
Banned

Added some alloy rims to the Toaster because someone gave them to me, and drilled out an 18T rear sprocket for it to replace the current 19t, Also have come up with a set of 180mm cranks for it that have a 53t big wheel, but it is not a 1/8" specific big wheel so I do not know how it will behave. Moved the seat back 1/2" as an experiment, bike is working as good as ever.

Likes For beng1:
Old 07-03-23, 03:17 AM
bwilli88 
Not lost wanderer.

Bikes: In USA; 73 Raleigh Super Course dingle speed, 72 Raleigh Gran Sport SS, 72 Geoffry Butler, 81 Centurion Pro-Tour, 74 Gugie Grandier Sportier

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 885 Post(s)
Liked 987 Times in 519 Posts
That whole thing looks Sketchy to me. Drillium is nice when done to exacting measures, that looks
Why keep the 2 chainrings?
Seat post has already been mentioned but why not use a shorter stem and move the seat back a bit and save your knees?
Drilling a Steel cog to reduce weight on a 30+ Lb bike.
Old 07-03-23, 11:19 AM
SkinGriz
Live not by lies.

Bikes: BigBox bikes.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 860 Post(s)
Liked 784 Times in 582 Posts
It’s cool enough by me.

For a margin of safety I’d put the holes 1.5 x hole diameter from the edge or from the other holes.
Old 07-03-23, 12:08 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4930 Post(s)
Liked 8,062 Times in 3,811 Posts
Originally Posted by bwilli88
Why keep the 2 chainrings?
From what I understand, he lacks short chainring bolts to run a single ring, and is not a fan of purchasing...anything. The outer/small ring is only serving as a spacer for 2x length bolts. It's unconventional, but practical.
Old 07-04-23, 07:41 PM
bwilli88 
Not lost wanderer.

Bikes: In USA; 73 Raleigh Super Course dingle speed, 72 Raleigh Gran Sport SS, 72 Geoffry Butler, 81 Centurion Pro-Tour, 74 Gugie Grandier Sportier

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 885 Post(s)
Liked 987 Times in 519 Posts
15 minutes spent drilling off center holes could have been spent with a file and trimmed the existing chainring bolt to length for a single chainring.
Would have looked neater and enhanced the look of the bike.
Old 07-06-23, 08:45 PM
grant40

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked 346 Times in 204 Posts
The weight on the seat of a bicycle is on the wide part of the seat at the very back, this is why having the rear of the seat directly over the seatpost, or at least closer to it, is always going to put less stress on the parts than having the back of the seat further from the center of the seatpost. The only drawback is that because the seatpost is not in the center of the seat rails, which are the seats suspension spring, the ride more harsh in theory, but I have not been bothered enough by it at all. My guess is that at some point having the seat in this position on older bikes will become common and accepted, especially after the hipsters latch onto it as one of their exercises in fashion.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.