Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Resource for multi day ride routing?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-23, 11:16 AM
dbf73
TFO

Bikes: Trek Emonda SL7 eTap, Felt AR-B, Colnago Master Mapei

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 7 Posts

Are there any websites or other resources for planning multi day trips? Strava and other will let you see routes from a starting point and allow specifying distance, direction, road surface and hilliness. Looking for similar but for multi-way ideally with ability to specify camping availability for overnight stops.
Old 03-20-23, 08:25 PM
DangerousDanR

Bikes: Time Scylon, Lynskey R350, Ritchey Breakaway, Ritchey Double Switchback, Lynskey Ridgeline, ICAN Fatbike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 463 Post(s)
Liked 546 Times in 306 Posts
I have used Google maps and the Airbnb website to plan several tours. I "ride" the entire route on the Street View then find places to stay on Airbnb.

Or try Warm Showers as your first line for places to stay.
Likes For DangerousDanR:
Old 03-20-23, 08:44 PM
Atlas Shrugged

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1247 Post(s)
Liked 1,322 Times in 674 Posts
Originally Posted by dbf73
Are there any websites or other resources for planning multi day trips? Strava and other will let you see routes from a starting point and allow specifying distance, direction, road surface and hilliness. Looking for similar but for multi-way ideally with ability to specify camping availability for overnight stops.
Both Komoot and RideWithGPS offer multi day routing. Komoot will slice it up for you based on you ability and terrain. Will also give accommodation advice along the route. Did Gibraltar to Girona with those two and they are excellent. RideWithGPS also provides heat mapping showing popular roads for cyclists during route building process. Then drops directly into the Garmin. Transformative for long distance self supported riding.
Likes For Atlas Shrugged:
Old 03-20-23, 08:46 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3223 Post(s)
Liked 2,054 Times in 1,174 Posts
You can do individual days routes on RideWithGPS (my favorite planning app), then download individually. Or plan one long route, download it, stop wherever and start again the next day. Paid versions allow you to stitch together individual days into one file. What device are you using for navigation ?
Likes For Steve B.:
Old 03-21-23, 06:12 AM
dbf73
TFO

Bikes: Trek Emonda SL7 eTap, Felt AR-B, Colnago Master Mapei

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Steve B.
You can do individual days routes on RideWithGPS (my favorite planning app), then download individually. Or plan one long route, download it, stop wherever and start again the next day. Paid versions allow you to stitch together individual days into one file. What device are you using for navigation ?
Garmin 830
Old 03-21-23, 08:22 AM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3223 Post(s)
Liked 2,054 Times in 1,174 Posts
Originally Posted by dbf73
Garmin 830
You can add an iQ app for RWGPS to the 830 and see the saved routes you've created, then pick and dump right to the device.
Likes For Steve B.: