Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

The Garmin didn’t start today, so…

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-23, 11:21 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2571 Post(s)
Liked 5,603 Times in 2,907 Posts

Pressed the power button and nada. So I opened up Strava on my phone and stuck it in my jersey pocket. Since I usually watch my stats and use Varia for what’s coming up behind me, it was like going back decades. Because I had a tough workout the day before I just cruised and enjoyed riding data blind. With no speed to monitor, it was a very relaxing day, except for having to look over my shoulder for cars approaching from behind me.

When the ride finished Strava gave me mileage, average speed and a couple of surprise PRs. But more importantly a data free ride was liberating. May designate one ride a week as data free.

Epilogue: When home I remembered that when the obstreperous Garmin won’t power up, press the start button for 10 seconds, and bingo.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 04-23-23, 02:39 AM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,946 Times in 1,906 Posts
if it werent for the GPS, I might never use the devices either. I ride all to random for locations & construction is a mf.
Old 04-23-23, 08:42 AM
biker128pedal

Bikes: 2022 Fuel EX 8, 2021 Domane SL6, Black Beta (Nashbar frame), 2004 Trek 1000C for the trainer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 268 Post(s)
Liked 447 Times in 266 Posts
Leaving in sleep mode will drain the battery and provide similar results. Happed to me last week. Used the phone but really would have liked the Varia notifications when. P/U snuck up on me and passed while a car was coming the other way. Also wanted to ride a measure distance for a new extension to one of my normal routes. Oh well a repeat but a good ride. Average a little less.
Old 04-23-23, 09:01 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6178 Post(s)
Liked 4,795 Times in 3,307 Posts
There was a update recently. I have sometimes had updates fail to let my Garmin restart successfully. Maybe that's what happened to yours. Although my Edge 530 did fine with the most recent update.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 04-23-23, 09:16 AM
KerryIrons

Quoted: 504 Post(s)
Liked 637 Times in 355 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
Pressed the power button and nada. So I opened up Strava on my phone and stuck it in my jersey pocket. Since I usually watch my stats and use Varia for what’s coming up behind me, it was like going back decades. Because I had a tough workout the day before I just cruised and enjoyed riding data blind. With no speed to monitor, it was a very relaxing day, except for having to look over my shoulder for cars approaching from behind me.

When the ride finished Strava gave me mileage, average speed and a couple of surprise PRs. But more importantly a data free ride was liberating. May designate one ride a week as data free.

Epilogue: When home I remembered that when the obstreperous Garmin won’t power up, press the start button for 10 seconds, and bingo.
Long ago I had a computer on my tandem so my child stoker could be the navigator. Other than that I have a wristwatch and local road route knowledge. So I guess I'm liberated every day.
Old 04-23-23, 09:22 AM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 3,412 Times in 1,783 Posts
I've taken to using a default screen that displays just a digital clock. Nothing else, except my radar, intrudes. If I really need to see something else (map, hill), I have to push a button, which is usually enough of an impediment not to do it.
Old 04-23-23, 10:35 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

If I switch on my Wahoo bike app that I use with my Kickr, does anyone know how to send the accumulated data to Strava after a ride if the Garmin bike computer fails to start up?

Just figured it out. Neva Mind

Next question - is there a Garmin compatible mount that I can use with my phone?

Last edited by rsbob; 04-23-23 at 10:44 AM.
Old 04-23-23, 12:37 PM
Fredo76
The Wheezing Geezer

Bikes: 1976 Fredo Speciale, Jamis Citizen 1, Ellis-Briggs FAVORI, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr.

Quoted: 411 Post(s)
Liked 899 Times in 441 Posts
Liberation is key! It's why I don't ride with an assault rifle, even after getting hit by a thrown soda last week.

Have a good one.
Old 04-23-23, 06:54 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Originally Posted by Fredo76
Liberation is key! It's why I don't ride with an assault rifle, even after getting hit by a thrown soda last week.

Have a good one.
I was almost permanently liberated by some yahoo with a rifle on a ride. The bullet hit about a foot in front of my front wheel. I have dozens of hazing instances but they have really slowed down now that I am gray. Had a kid yell something derogatory from a car the other day. It made me feel young again.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 04-23-23, 08:02 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Quoted: 761 Post(s)
Liked 1,720 Times in 1,004 Posts
If I switch on my Wahoo bike app that I use with my Kickr, does anyone know how to send the accumulated data to Strava after a ride if the Garmin bike computer fails to start up?

Just figured it out. Neva Mind

Next question - is there a Garmin compatible mount that I can use with my phone?

I don't know about a Garmin mount, but I been using a quad lock for my phone and I really like it and it is very secure when I am riding. I use the stem based mount.

Likes For jaxgtr:
Old 04-23-23, 08:18 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Originally Posted by Fredo76

Have a good one.
I've had a few things tossed at me, but never been hit luckily, but that is when I did a lot of late night rides when my kids were really young.

Old 04-24-23, 10:13 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Originally Posted by jaxgtr
I've had a few things tossed at me, but never been hit luckily, but that is when I did a lot of late night rides when my kids were really young.
The short list:
Soda can
Cherry bomb
vanilla milkshake (tasted good when it hit my face)
gravel
Boat air-horn to left ear
spit at
and on and on. There must be a real dislike for 30-40 YO cyclists. Now that I am older, only a couple of issues in the last few years (a guy in an oncoming van crossing the center line into my lane forcing me off the road). Vehicular assault?

Old 04-24-23, 11:54 AM
jaxgtr

I was run off the road once, but they lost control of their truck and crash into a ditch down the road. When I got up to where they crashed, a couple of the guys made a run for it and the driver was still in the truck. It just so happens a cop was right there, so I let the cop know hey tried to hit me, he had me write up what happened and I went on my way. I guess these guys were having a night of destruction and were running cars off the road as well, and they saw them go down this road, so they have a cop at the end of the road to stop them.

Old 04-30-23, 08:45 AM
Photokid1970

Bikes: 2015 Trek DS 8.3, Trek Pilot 5.2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 8 Posts
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...e?ie=UTF8&th=1

Cheap, but effective.
Likes For Photokid1970:
Old 04-30-23, 09:33 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10397 Post(s)
Liked 11,860 Times in 6,072 Posts
I've done a couple "naked bar" rides, where I put nothing on the bike but a pump and my saddle bag - no flashy lights, no Garmin, no Varia. It's the absence of the Varia that bothers me.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles