Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Horses Have the Ultimate Right of Way

Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Horses Have the Ultimate Right of Way

Old 06-07-23, 03:36 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5223 Post(s)
Liked 3,577 Times in 2,341 Posts
It’s not like they’ll chase you & bite you like a dog. They always seem under control of the owner/operator
Likes For rumrunn6:
Old 06-08-23, 06:49 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18397 Post(s)
Liked 15,492 Times in 7,316 Posts
And cows. Don't forget about the cows. Give them a wide berth.

Likes For indyfabz:
Old 06-08-23, 09:08 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,095 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
It’s not like they’ll chase you & bite you like a dog. They always seem under control of the owner/operator

They can do all sorts of nasty things if startled, especially kicking and rearing. Always best practice to make sure you're not startling them. Keep in mind that not all horses are docile and even the docile ones can have a bad day. You're relying on the rider to keep the big animal under control, best to give them whatever assistance you can. I always announce in a calm voice from as far back as I can without shouting. And I go slow when passing. I may be a horse's ass, but I don't have a horse brain, so I don't know what they might interpret as threatening. I suspect that to a horse, we look a lot like some kind of four-legged animal when we're on a bike, and if we're moving fast, I suspect that might look like predator behavior to them.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 06-08-23, 06:29 PM
RCMoeur 
Cantilever believer

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 527 Post(s)
Liked 1,803 Times in 817 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
(Sits back on front porch, puts boots on rail, tips hat back)

About 30 years ago on a trail ride, the wrangler assigned me to a horse named "Jitters" after hearing I had ridden before (I am no master of horsemanship, but I know the basics). I treated the mount as well as I knew how to do so - he may be a rental, but I knew it could end badly in several ways if I didn't. No sudden pulls or movements, no conflicting or confusing directions, etc. Near the end of the ride, ol' Jitters decides he's going to have a bit of fun, and started into a full-on buck. I let the reins slack, grasped the saddle horn with one hand, and attempted to balance with the other in that time-honored method silhouetted on Wyoming license plates. After about 10 seconds of vertical oscillation and significant discomfort (fortunately without ejection), Jitters settled down and I regained the reins. The wrangler trotted over and said "Are you OK? Good. Let's keep riding."

The only response I could think of at the moment was "I stayed on. Where's my belt buckle?"

The lesson in all this is that horses still have a mind of their own, and may be in a happy / ornery / playful / cranky / mischievous / sullen mood and react to direction accordingly. And with many times the strength of the rider, if Mr. Ed decides to do something, then he's likely to do it given that the rider's power at that moment is suggestive, not coercive.
Likes For RCMoeur:
Old 06-08-23, 06:35 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2222 Post(s)
Liked 3,407 Times in 1,779 Posts
Yet another reason never to ride a mountain bike unless you are armed with bear spray.
Old 06-08-23, 06:55 PM
bikelif3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 21 Posts
Kids on bikes are the most dangerous things you will encounter. They should presumably have the ultimate right of way.
Old 06-08-23, 07:18 PM
RCMoeur 
Cantilever believer

Originally Posted by bikelif3
Kids on bikes are the most dangerous things you will encounter. They should presumably have the ultimate right of way.
"They got lifeless eyes. Black eyes. Like a doll’s eyes... til they bites ya, and those black eyes roll over white..."
Likes For RCMoeur:
Old 06-09-23, 07:37 AM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by RCMoeur
"They got lifeless eyes. Black eyes. Like a doll’s eyes... til they bites ya, and those black eyes roll over white..."
Here's to swimmin' with bow-legged women.
Old 06-09-23, 07:48 AM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 822 Post(s)
Liked 1,955 Times in 941 Posts
I'm not particularly fond of horses after being "treeed" by one at age 14.
Full gallop under some oak tree branches, "Ouch!"

Second time, I was hiking on singletrack in the Puente Hills and a man was exercising his steed and I had nowhere to go but dive into the brush.
Don't assume horseback riders will slow to pass or wait for you to move.
Likes For CAT7RDR:
Old 06-09-23, 09:17 AM
Schweinhund

Bikes: a couple

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 563 Post(s)
Liked 862 Times in 455 Posts
Yurall rong,
it's mailmen and by extension, their truck.
Yesterday.
There's little more to it, but that's the gist of the exchange.

https://modesto.craigslist.org/rnr/d...630436660.html
Old 06-09-23, 09:59 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,686 Times in 2,509 Posts
More trails should be like the Lower Trail in Pennsylvania. Horses aren't allowed on the trail itself. They really ruin a trail for everyone else, and horse people don't have the sense not to ride when it's wet.
Likes For unterhausen:
Old 06-09-23, 10:10 AM
mrodgers

Bikes: 2014 Giant Escape 1

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 289 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 20 Posts
I was standing at the end of the horse trail eating my dinner before turning around and heading home when I saw a horse coming down the path. So I moved my bike over on the other side of the barrier going into the state park propagation area when the horse looked my way. I said, "oh, you want to come this way?" to which the answer from the rider was no. I stated, I didn't want to spook the horses when I'm this way on the bike. She said just to speak with a normal voice, that way the horse recognizes me as human rather than some weird moving tree, LOL.
Old 06-09-23, 01:02 PM
Roughstuff
Punk Rock Lives

Location: Throughout the west in a van, on my bike, and in the forest

Bikes: Long Haul Trucker with BRIFTERS!

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 39 Posts
"A horse is a horse of course of course,
and nobody talks to a horse, of course!
Unless of course the name of the horse is...
The FAMOUS Mr. ED!"
Likes For Roughstuff:
Old 06-09-23, 01:26 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Quoted: 4926 Post(s)
Liked 8,052 Times in 3,808 Posts
Beware of bulls...

Last edited by Eric F; 06-09-23 at 03:15 PM.
Old 06-09-23, 02:31 PM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by unterhausen
More trails should be like the Lower Trail in Pennsylvania. Horses aren't allowed on the trail itself. They really ruin a trail for everyone else, and horse people don't have the sense not to ride when it's wet.
What’s that trail like now? I rode what existed of it back in 1998 during Pedal PA. Rode Ghost Town also. Nanty-Glo is one of my favorite town names.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 06-09-23, 06:54 PM
SPlKE 

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 21 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
What’s that trail like now? I rode what existed of it back in 1998 during Pedal PA. Rode Ghost Town also. Nanty-Glo is one of my favorite town names.
Nanty-Glo might be in the Top Five Best Town Names in the entire world.

The first time I saw that town name on a sign, up around Nanticoke, PA, IIRC, I was stunned by the beauty and simplicity of it.
Old 06-09-23, 08:47 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,686 Times in 2,509 Posts
I really like the Lower trail, but I haven't been on it recently. The middle section between Williamsburg and Alexandria has often been a little too mushy for smaller tires in the past, but I guess it's good exercise.
Old 06-11-23, 06:49 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5223 Post(s)
Liked 3,577 Times in 2,341 Posts
even wheeling on the beach, I have to share the trail w/horses

everybody got along just fine
Old 06-12-23, 05:44 AM
indyfabz

Old 06-12-23, 07:07 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,095 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Looks like he thought the cyclist was another buck during rutting season.
Old 06-12-23, 08:34 AM
billew
meandering nomad

Bikes: eleven bikes no car

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by RCMoeur
You're certainly not the first person to tell me I'm wrong, and you likely won't be the last. But given my 25+ years of direct professional involvement at the national level in traffic control device review and approval, I think I'll stick with my assessment. Especially remembering the meetings of the NCUTCD Bicycle Technical Committee I chaired where the scope of MUTCD applicability to the full range of US bikeways was discussed - which doesn't quite match up with your determination.
I wouldn't be bragging about being on that committee, I known two other people on it and I know you can't do anything really. You can't even require SLMs be centered in the lane or remove the word "May" from the Bikes May Use Full Lane signs. As John Schubert said to me "it's a committee" as an excuse as to why he has been on it for well over ten years and nothing is being done about sharrows in the gutter. He seems more interested in having the initials after his name than doing anything, which is my opinion of people on committees. I'll say it again the MUTCD and FHA do not apply to railroad ROW trails usually deemed Linear Parks by states.
Old 06-12-23, 08:47 AM
RCMoeur 
Cantilever believer

Originally Posted by billew
I wouldn't be bragging about being on that committee, I known two other people on it and I know you can't do anything really. You can't even require SLMs be centered in the lane or remove the word "May" from the Bikes May Use Full Lane signs. As John Schubert said to me "it's a committee" as an excuse as to why he has been on it for well over ten years and nothing is being done about sharrows in the gutter. He seems more interested in having the initials after his name than doing anything, which is my opinion of people on committees. I'll say it again the MUTCD and FHA do not apply to railroad ROW trails usually deemed Linear Parks by states.
Have you considered writing for Streetsblog?
Old 06-13-23, 03:51 AM
TC1

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 358 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 84 Posts
Originally Posted by rc5781
Did you know that on trails, horses have the ultimate right of way?
FYI, this hierarchy is not universal, and concerned riders should check their local regulations, and etiquette.

For example, in Illinois, equine right-of-way varies by county. In some counties, horses do not have the right-of-way. At the same time, the situation is reversed in other neighboring counties. So if one is really diligent, they must always be aware of which county they are in, and what the prevailing rules of the road are in that jurisdiction. There are other restrictions on what you term "ultimate right of way", as well. For example, in my county forest preserves "All horses must remain on the right side of the trail and be in single file when riding in groups.".

Of course you will never find one equestrian on public land who cares one iota about etiquette or regulations, as evidenced by their mounts' feces left behind everywhere. They clean that up around their own barns, or hire someone to, but when on public land, they just leave it for others to deal with.
Old 06-16-23, 04:44 PM
DidntHearU

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
dd

Last edited by DidntHearU; 07-02-23 at 04:14 PM.