Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Indexed vs Friction Shifters

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Indexed vs Friction Shifters

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-23, 11:49 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10424 Post(s)
Liked 11,898 Times in 6,094 Posts
And please note, I have, and love 5 bikes with DT shifters(3 friction, 2 indexed), but I have no illusions about the technology not being obsolete.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 06-07-23, 11:58 AM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3511 Post(s)
Liked 2,926 Times in 1,775 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
You can also buy a brand new 1929 Blower Bentley - or you could a few years back - but that doesn't mean its technology isn't obsolete, as defined below (b).

Your definition is still inaccurate: "a: No longer in use or no longer useful." DT shifters are in use world-wide and as such, by definition, are therefore "useful."

"b: of a kind or style no longer current." Not even sure what "current" means here. DT shifters are still "currently" being made by the thousands and "currently" used by the hundreds of thousands--if not millions.

Last edited by smd4; 06-07-23 at 12:01 PM.
Old 06-07-23, 12:02 PM
smd4

And please note, I have, and love 5 bikes with DT shifters(3 friction, 2 indexed), but I have no illusions about the technology not being obsolete.
No one doubts that. People have problems with the word you've chosen, which is inaccurate--at least for the time being.
Old 06-07-23, 12:04 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Originally Posted by smd4
Your definition is still inaccurate: "a: No longer in use or no longer useful." DT shifters are in use world-wide and as such, by definition are therefore "useful."
Let's dispense with that nonsense, since I clearly pointed to definition b.

"b: of a kind or style no longer current." Not even sure what "current" means here. DT shifters are still "currently" being made by the thousands and "currently" used by the hundreds of thousands--if not millions.
You know exactly what it means. Its a style that has largely been superceded in the marketplace. There are a bunch of old crocks like us who still use them, some even use them exclusively. But they're old technology that has been replaced and the vast majority of bicycles these days do not use them, because the newer technology has numerous advantages.

Old 06-07-23, 12:05 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

No one doubts that. People have problems with the word you've chosen, which is inaccurate--at least for the time being.
*********. It's perfectly accurate and descriptive.

Old 06-07-23, 01:01 PM
Xavier65

Bikes: Saracen Conquest. Claud Butler Majestic. Viking VK500. Crossmaxx 28" Pinion.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 20 Posts
Maybe one can say that friction shifters are going the way of rod & stirrup brakes?

No doubt there are still new bikes being sold with rod & stirrup brakes (in India?), but there's no need to use the dreaded 'obsolete' word.
Likes For Xavier65:
Old 06-07-23, 01:12 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3886 Post(s)
Liked 6,482 Times in 3,206 Posts
... the vast majority of bicycles these days do not use them.
Did "the vast majority" of bikes on Earth ever use dt shifters?

With the popularity of 3-speed hubs and single speeds, I really doubt it.

What is the gearing for "the vast majority" of currently produced bikes on Earth? Single speed?
Likes For SurferRosa:
Old 06-07-23, 02:10 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4403 Post(s)
Liked 4,856 Times in 3,004 Posts
Originally Posted by SurferRosa
Now you're qualifying it. Well done.
I qualified it in my first post and then reminded you about it in a later post. 3rd time lucky!
Old 06-07-23, 02:15 PM
PeteHski

Did "the vast majority" of bikes on Earth ever use dt shifters?

With the popularity of 3-speed hubs and single speeds, I really doubt it.

What is the gearing for "the vast majority" of currently produced bikes on Earth? Single speed?
That isn’t the point. The point is that DT friction shifters were superseded decades ago on bikes that typically used them.
Old 06-07-23, 02:22 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Originally Posted by PeteHski
That isn’t the point. The point is that DT friction shifters were superseded decades ago on bikes that typically used them.
Forget it, Jake PeteHski, it's Chinatown Bike Forums

Likes For genejockey:
Old 06-07-23, 03:38 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

I qualified it in my first post and then reminded you about it in a later post. 3rd time lucky!
Yeah, right.

"General Cycling Discussion" should be renamed "General Trolling" or "General S*** Show."
Old 06-07-23, 03:48 PM
Harold74

Bikes: Miyata 1000, Lemond Zurich, Lynskey Rouleur, Airborne Zeppelin, Vintage Zullo, Miele Lupa

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 329 Post(s)
Liked 98 Times in 75 Posts
I have historically used friction shifting on a lot of my bikes. I don't any longer, however, other than on my grocery getter. And that's mostly a function of a shift in the kind of riding that I do.

I currently do only road riding and I do it as structured training where I'm trying to carefully control some workout parameter such as heart rate. I do this primarily to manage my diabetes. When I'm riding like this, I find that:

1) the small bits of extra time and effort required to friction shift distract my focus away from where I want it: on my carefully structured training.

2) I need to shift a lot in order to have my gearing dialed in such that I'm controlling my parameter of interest well. Friction shifting tends to make me shift less because it's harder.

Maybe I just never got good enough at friction shifting, who knows. However, at this point in my life, I need to be in the execution phase of things more often than the learning phase.

I am still using downtube shifting, just indexed. And that's become a royal pain due to the poor availability of reasonably priced, high quality NOS shifters. I'd cut off a thumb for a set of NOS SL-7900.
Old 06-07-23, 04:02 PM
rm -rf
don't try this at home.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 974 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 352 Posts
Di2!
Electronic shifting is surprisingly reliable for me. (I've heard of a few local failures over the years, probably less likely than broken indexed shifter mechanisms.)

At 8.5 years and 38,000 miles, a ballpark estimate is that I've shifted 500,000 to 700,000 times. Mainly because it's so fast and easy to shift, even with a ring finger if my hand is out of position. The 500,000 estimate is 13 shifts per mile, about one every 400 feet of riding (or approx every 20 seconds) -- but I often shift more than one gear, or shift up for a few pedal strokes and shift back again.

With mechanical click buttons on the shifter and the derailleurs themselves, the system is still working perfectly.

I didn't expect this much reliability with physical click buttons on the hood levers, and tiny motors and miniature reduction gears in the derailleurs. I did replace the lithium battery when it started needing a recharge after 300 mile intervals.

Last edited by rm -rf; 06-07-23 at 04:05 PM.
Likes For rm -rf:
Old 06-07-23, 04:06 PM
smd4

Originally Posted by Harold74
I'd cut off a thumb for a set of NOS SL-7900.
Save your thumb. There are at least three sets on eBay as I write this.
Old 06-07-23, 04:10 PM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2482 Post(s)
Liked 2,953 Times in 1,678 Posts
I have historically used friction shifting on a lot of my bikes. I don't any longer, however, other than on my grocery getter. And that's mostly a function of a shift in the kind of riding that I do.

I currently do only road riding and I do it as structured training where I'm trying to carefully control some workout parameter such as heart rate. I do this primarily to manage my diabetes. When I'm riding like this, I find that:

1) the small bits of extra time and effort required to friction shift distract my focus away from where I want it: on my carefully structured training.

2) I need to shift a lot in order to have my gearing dialed in such that I'm controlling my parameter of interest well. Friction shifting tends to make me shift less because it's harder.

Maybe I just never got good enough at friction shifting, who knows. However, at this point in my life, I need to be in the execution phase of things more often than the learning phase.

I am still using downtube shifting, just indexed. And that's become a royal pain due to the poor availability of reasonably priced, high quality NOS shifters. I'd cut off a thumb for a set of NOS SL-7900.
If I were trying to do carefully controlled structured training, which suggests making shifting as effort-free as possible as a goal, I would pick up a pair of brake shifters like the Micronew set I bought recently. Cheap, and they work beautifully. You'd need your thumb, though---shifting from larger to smaller is accomplished with a thumb button for both front and rear.
Likes For Trakhak:
Old 06-07-23, 04:11 PM
Harold74

Bikes: Miyata 1000, Lemond Zurich, Lynskey Rouleur, Airborne Zeppelin, Vintage Zullo, Miele Lupa

Originally Posted by ShannonM
Can we at least all agree that indexed front shifting, especially on doubles, is stupid?
"Stupid" is a little strong for me but, yeah, I mostly agree with the sentiment. I run brifter back / friction front on one bike but I've yet to find a setup that doesn't nag at my obsession for symmetry:

1) Use a "dead" STI lever up front? Yuck.

2) Us a non-STI lever up front that, then, does not match the rear shifter. Yuck.

3) Use an STI rear lever and downtube front shifter? This is what I'm doing but most modern bikes don't have the mount for it.

4) Use an STI rear lever and an Genevalle friction front? I've tried this and probably like it second best of the available options.

5) 1X shifter set. Expensive just to satisfy my need for symmetry.

6) Bar ends. Symmetrical but I don't love the cable routing options.

What I'd really like is an STI-ish lever that is friction AND matches whatever I'm using for an indexed shifter on the rear.
Old 06-07-23, 04:14 PM
Harold74

Save your thumb. There are at least three sets on eBay as I write this.
Three sets NOS, and under $200 CAD including shipping?
Old 06-07-23, 04:16 PM
smd4

Three sets NOS, and under $200 CAD including shipping?
Oh. I thought you were desperate for a set of NOS SL-7900s to the point of being willing to sever a body part. Didn’t know there was a monetary restriction.

Never mind.
Old 06-07-23, 04:20 PM
Harold74

Close I guess. It's just a lot to pay when all my bikes cost less than $1,500. Often much less.

Two, recent, SL-7900 adventures for me:

1) A dude, in my city, offered an NOS pair for $50. I bailed on work and still was second to show. I even, unethically, offered to pay 3X the asking price if the seller would screw over the other guy.

2) I thought I found four pair from a Louisiana bike shop on line. They wouldn't ship to Canada. So I made complex arrangements with a friend for expensive, two stage shipping. Turns out the store never had the shifters to begin with. They just hadn't updated their inventory database in a good long time.

I've been considering using Microshift but I'm not sure their shifters are meaningfully different from just using the 10s Shimano bar end shifters that I have as DT.

Old 06-07-23, 04:21 PM
Harold74

Oh. I thought you were desperate for a set of NOS SL-7900s to the point of being willing to sever a body part. Didn’t know there was a monetary restriction.
Hah! Yeah, hyperbole. I vacillate between spending the big bucks or switching to 8s where you can get some new DT's.
Old 06-07-23, 04:23 PM
smd4

Hah! Yeah, hyperbole.
You be surprised what can pop up on eBay for reasonable prices if you’re just patient.
Old 06-07-23, 04:28 PM
phughes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 1,290 Times in 743 Posts
Originally Posted by rm -rf
Di2!
Electronic shifting is surprisingly reliable for me. (I've heard of a few local failures over the years, probably less likely than broken indexed shifter mechanisms.)

At 8.5 years and 38,000 miles, a ballpark estimate is that I've shifted 500,000 to 700,000 times. Mainly because it's so fast and easy to shift, even with a ring finger if my hand is out of position. The 500,000 estimate is 13 shifts per mile, about one every 400 feet of riding (or approx every 20 seconds) -- but I often shift more than one gear, or shift up for a few pedal strokes and shift back again.

With mechanical click buttons on the shifter and the derailleurs themselves, the system is still working perfectly.

I didn't expect this much reliability with physical click buttons on the hood levers, and tiny motors and miniature reduction gears in the derailleurs. I did replace the lithium battery when it started needing a recharge after 300 mile intervals.
I wouldn't want to use them for a touring bike, but there is no doubt they work well, and the lack of cables is wonderful Makes a clean looking bike. Maybe one day I will have it on a bike of mine. Right now I do not have any bikes they would be good for, but they truly do shift nicely. They are simply an incredible piece of bike technology.

What is so absurd about this discussion is that so many here cannot grasp the fact that there are different needs for different types of riding, and what works for them, may not be the best thing for someone else. Many touring bike riders like to keep things simple, mainly due to the fact simple is easier to repair in the middle of nowhere, and is also less likely to break when a heavy, fully loaded bike falls over. That doesn't make friction shifter superior to indexed. My touring bike had indexed bar end shifters. They worked, until they didn't, and I simply switched them to friction, then after riding it that way for a while, I bought nicer friction only shifters. I like them. They shift so easily.

Being able to shift from the hoods using brifters, yes I called them that, is wonderful. Especially for those who are riding "road bikes," and wanting to try to ride fast in order to beat their personal best, or actually race, or just have fun. You will find that most touring riders are not shifting all the time. We tend to get into a gear and ride. The friction shifter is nice for me because when I need to, I can go from the small cog to the large one in one fell swoop, instead of clicking through each cog.

I have actually entertained mounting my shifters on the down tube bosses. They are currently on the bar ends, and while I like them there, I grew up with down tube shifters, and four touring, they work well there, and are out of the way. They are hard to damage there.

People throw out words like obsolete and such, but friction shifters work, and are in current production. They are simple and some people like them. Some people now tour with indexed shifters on the hoods. They work too. Most of this comes down to personal preference, with some specific needs thrown in, but of course here on Bike Forums, there are many who cannot possibly believe someone would need or want something that isn't cutting edge, or god forbid something they themselves don't care for.
Old 06-07-23, 04:54 PM
PeteHski

Yeah, right.

"General Cycling Discussion" should be renamed "General Trolling" or "General S*** Show."
We might as well just merge it with C&V
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 06-07-23, 05:18 PM
Atlas Shrugged

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1248 Post(s)
Liked 1,323 Times in 674 Posts
Your definition is still inaccurate: "a: No longer in use or no longer useful." DT shifters are in use world-wide and as such, by definition, are therefore "useful."

I highly doubt that there are thousands of DT shifters being installed in new bikes anymore. It would begin with thousands of frames being built with DT shifter bosses which is questionable at best. Even Rivendell (retrogrouch central)doesn’t equip their frames with DT bosses.

As for the garages and basements full of DT friction-equipped bikes, just because they exist doesn’t mean they are used or ridden. Even the friction advocates on this site who boast of having dozens of bikes as part of their collection, never mentioning the actual distance put on these bikes. There may be millions of friction-shifting bikes remaining but most of them are treated like tchotchkes at best and forgotten relics at worst.

Last edited by Atlas Shrugged; 06-08-23 at 09:20 AM.
Old 06-07-23, 07:27 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

We might as well just merge it with C&V
Who trolls in C&V? No one. It's civilized.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.