Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Indoor & Stationary Cycling Forum
Reload this Page >

am I here to complain about zwift's horrible updates again?

Search
Notices
Indoor & Stationary Cycling Forum From spin to Zwift to Peloton, this forum is dedicated to any and all indoor training on stationary bikes

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-23, 09:21 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,686 Times in 2,509 Posts

yes, I am. Splash screen starts, it never gets to the "let's go screen."

I'm hoping that clearing the cache in my system browser will fix it and I don't have to reinstall. I would like to be surprised that they can't figure out how to do that themselves, but I'm not.
Old 06-01-23, 10:02 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

I let bill gates install an update to my computer and when I started zwift after the restart, it just totally reinstalled the game. It's actually faster than their usual pathetic patching nonsense that barely works half the time.

Apparently this is the update that adds steering as a mainline feature. I have an idea for adding it to my rocker plate.

Last edited by unterhausen; 06-02-23 at 07:10 AM.
Old 06-02-23, 10:12 AM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1136 Post(s)
Liked 1,179 Times in 686 Posts
glad you got that off your chest.
Old 06-02-23, 12:23 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

I thought I wasn't going to get to ride, it was definitely shortened by the fact that it took me an hour to get it running.
Old 06-02-23, 12:25 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4926 Post(s)
Liked 8,056 Times in 3,809 Posts
I used Zwift last night for the first time since the latest update. Zero issues on an Apple TV.
Old 06-02-23, 01:32 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4386 Post(s)
Liked 4,827 Times in 2,983 Posts
No issues on Mac updates either.
Old 06-02-23, 01:53 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

When I went looking for this issue, same thing has happened on all platforms. It's a bit random, I think.

I never use the browser on that system, except that zwift is a browser app apparently. Any cache or cookies were put there by them.
Old 06-04-23, 05:49 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4224 Post(s)
Liked 2,944 Times in 1,803 Posts
I used to have that issue with updates about once every 2-4 updates. The only way I could solve it was to uninstall/reinstall Zwift. Then, sometime last summer/fall, it just randomly stopped happening and hasn't happened for me since. I wonder if uninstalling/reinstalling the Zwift Installer (a separate program) might do it for you.

Old 06-04-23, 06:26 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

I couldn't tell how much of a complete reinstall they did, but I'll keep that in mind if I have continued problems.
Old 06-05-23, 05:18 PM
dmanthree

Bikes: Garmin/Tacx Bike Smart

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 191 Posts
Yeah, seems like a Windows platform issue. Zero issues on my Macbook. Runs slick.
Old 06-06-23, 04:29 AM
jpescatore

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Disc, Jamis Renegade

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 364 Post(s)
Liked 304 Times in 217 Posts
No issues here on Apple TV, once I figured out I really didn't have to do anything anymore, just wait a few seconds for devices to pair.

I've seen a lot of use of that coffee break feature, my bet is they will end up changing it so you don't get mileage credit when using it! Many seem to have figured out using in just before a hill starts in a ride where you can take a coffee breaks lets you skip the hard hilly spots.
Old 06-06-23, 06:01 AM
himespau 

Originally Posted by jpescatore
I've seen a lot of use of that coffee break feature, my bet is they will end up changing it so you don't get mileage credit when using it! Many seem to have figured out using in just before a hill starts in a ride where you can take a coffee breaks lets you skip the hard hilly spots.
Once their teleport feature goes live, I can totally see them cutting back or at least de-emphasizing the coffee break feature. Unfortunately, I think there'll be much crying by the customer base for them to get ride of the "free" distance or elevation if they get rid of they way they do the coffee break now.

Old 06-06-23, 04:39 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Huh, I don't want too much free distance. I never thought about the rubber band function giving you free distance, but I guess it does.
Old 06-06-23, 05:04 PM
himespau 

I tried the coffee break at the end of an hour of Z2 riding with one of the pace partners (Yumi maybe?) just to see how it would affect my distance. I hit the coffee break right at 40 km. Got off the bike, changed, took care of stuff, while the break was running. After the coffee break was done, both Zwift and Strava (later, after I had saved my ride and it auto-uploaded) said that I'd gone 43.something km.

Likes For himespau:
Old 06-07-23, 04:13 AM
jpescatore

The rubber band function by itself doesn't give you the free mileage. In a group ride where it is turned on, you'll still get dropped if you don't pedal at all. If I remember right, you have to do at least 6-12 watts or the group will ride away from you.

The way the coffee stop works now, I think my Zwift Alps de Huez climb time was about 1:20. If I timed it right, I could work in 5, maybe 6 3 minute coffee breaks, If I was really lucky, and latched on to faster riders every 10 minutes, I'd surely break my own personal record, which would of course cut off a few coffee breaks since it would be a shorter ride!

Agree with himespau - this oddity will likely go away when they implement the teleport feature.

Originally Posted by unterhausen
Huh, I don't want too much free distance. I never thought about the rubber band function giving you free distance, but I guess it does.
Old 06-07-23, 04:28 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4729 Post(s)
Liked 1,531 Times in 1,002 Posts
Originally Posted by jpescatore
The rubber band function by itself doesn't give you the free mileage. In a group ride where it is turned on, you'll still get dropped if you don't pedal at all. If I remember right, you have to do at least 6-12 watts or the group will ride away from you.

The way the coffee stop works now, I think my Zwift Alps de Huez climb time was about 1:20. If I timed it right, I could work in 5, maybe 6 3 minute coffee breaks, If I was really lucky, and latched on to faster riders every 10 minutes, I'd surely break my own personal record, which would of course cut off a few coffee breaks since it would be a shorter ride!

Agree with himespau - this oddity will likely go away when they implement the teleport feature.
So rubber-banded ride could be 75% free mileage if you're pulled along at 15mph when your wattage only deserves 5mph.

Not sure why anybody cares what other people do or don't do regarding the coffee stop. Seems to not impact anybody other than the person using it.

In the vein of free mileage, consider a coffee stop as making up for the fact that you can't coast in Zwift without being braked to a stop by the software, but you can (and probably do) in real life from time to time. Anyone doing a 100km+ endurance event but having to maintain constant power and pedal rotation for the entire time would find this unnatural for sure. If you have Strava elevate, look at your pedaling time vs moving time stats for outdoor social rides.
Old 06-07-23, 04:51 AM
jpescatore

I can coast in Zwift no problem. Downhill for sure - you can even do supertuck and maintain a high speed for descents over 3%. On flats, seem to slow down down about the same as in real life - as long as not in ERG mode!

Originally Posted by Sy Reene

In the vein of free mileage, consider a coffee stop as making up for the fact that you can't coast in Zwift without being braked to a stop by the software, but you can (and probably do) in real life from time to time. Anyone doing a 100km+ endurance event but having to maintain constant power and pedal rotation for the entire time would find this unnatural for sure. If you have Strava elevate, look at your pedaling time vs moving time stats for outdoor social rides.
Old 06-08-23, 06:48 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

I have also commented on not being able to coast in zwift. I still think it slows you down a little too fast, but there is coasting.

I did one of the rides where you join a robopacer, but the robopacer was nowhere to be found. Anyone else have this experience? I don't think I did anything wrong, or maybe I joined it just as it was breaking up. Can't tell, it didn't happen
Old 06-09-23, 05:47 AM
himespau 

I have also commented on not being able to coast in zwift. I still think it slows you down a little too fast, but there is coasting.

I did one of the rides where you join a robopacer, but the robopacer was nowhere to be found. Anyone else have this experience? I don't think I did anything wrong, or maybe I joined it just as it was breaking up. Can't tell, it didn't happen
Apparently, that's a known bug with the most recent update. They've made a patch to fix that but have decided not to push that out until their next scheduled update with is planned to start rolling out the middle of next week.

Likes For himespau:
Old 06-09-23, 06:57 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Thanks. Of course the one time I want an update, it's not there
Likes For unterhausen:
Old 06-09-23, 07:27 AM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1136 Post(s)
Liked 1,179 Times in 686 Posts
zwift has such a large user base you'd think they would not allow these bugs to get by like that. were i zwift i'd compensate volunteers with free subscriptions just to be beta testers. say a handful of users with various trainers and various UI devices. right now i think they just code and throw it over the wall to see what happens.
Old 06-09-23, 07:51 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

I did a quick experiment. Joined I think the Taylor robo pacer on Tempus fugit (darn flat). I let the pedal assist grace period time out, at which point I/group was at 17mph. Took approx. 13 seconds til dismount of bike and full stop. for whatever that's worth.
Old 06-09-23, 10:00 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

It's hard to judge how far you should coast. In general, I think zwift intentionally makes the resistance a little higher than is realistic.
Old 06-09-23, 03:26 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

It's hard to judge how far you should coast. In general, I think zwift intentionally makes the resistance a little higher than is realistic.
I haven't done a test on a negative, but supposedly you'll come to a braked stop even at up to 3% downgrade in Zwift. For reference, a simple bike calculator says I'd coast at 9.24 mph on a 1% downgrade with 0 power.
Old 06-28-23, 12:59 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

I just got an announcement of a new update. It has a climbing portal, so you don't have to wait around for a world to be available to do the climb you want. Baby steps, I suppose.

Looks like better integration of their new hardware is the other big feature.

They promised it will be released to different users in stages, so they probably will release it to me whenever I don't have a lot of time to do a workout.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.