Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Indoor & Stationary Cycling Forum
Reload this Page >

The weight cheating on Zwift controversy

Search
Notices
Indoor & Stationary Cycling Forum From spin to Zwift to Peloton, this forum is dedicated to any and all indoor training on stationary bikes

The weight cheating on Zwift controversy

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-22, 10:37 AM
bblair

Bikes: Lynskey R230, Trek 5200, 1975 Raleigh Pro, 1973 Falcon ,Trek T50 Tandem and a 1968 Paramount in progress.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 379 Post(s)
Liked 392 Times in 232 Posts
I think you'd have to enter some absurd number to make a difference.

For me to be competitive in the "C" group I'd have to list my weight at 46Kg, which is about 100lbs. Which is why I still ride a lot of Zwift, but no more races.

Now if I could figure out how to double my power output.......
Old 02-26-22, 01:14 PM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4225 Post(s)
Liked 2,945 Times in 1,804 Posts
Originally Posted by MinnMan
Psychology makes sandbagging in Zwift inevitable, and not simply because people want to cheat.

Let's say there's a rider with an FTP of 3.3 or 3.4 W/kg. The official categories say they are a "B". (3.2-3.9), not a "C" (2.5-3.1). If they race in "B", they are going to get creamed by the 3.6-3.9 crowd, so instead they race in "C". Where they demolish the C riders who are following the guidelines.

Those C riders start thinking about racing in "D".....

Now this is happening at all levels, so there are people who should be riding in A (4.0+) b/c they have and FTP of 4.1 and they're getting torched by the stronger A riders. So now the people in the MIDDLE of the B range (3.5-3.6) are getting dropped by riders who are really "A"

Wash, rinse, repeat. The whole thing slides.

If there were enough racers, there would be less sandbagging in a system with more category divisions.
If there were 1 million categories, as long as there were at least 1,000,001 racers, you'd have that one extra racer trying to enter the category in which he had the best opportunity to win.
Likes For himespau:
Old 02-26-22, 01:31 PM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4368 Post(s)
Liked 3,001 Times in 1,854 Posts
Originally Posted by himespau
If there were 1 million categories, as long as there were at least 1,000,001 racers, you'd have that one extra racer trying to enter the category in which he had the best opportunity to win.
reductio ad absurdum?

You are suggesting that the force required to induce sandbagging is infinitesimal. That's an unprovable position, though it also is not falsifiable.
For certain, the broader the categories, the greater the force to induce sandbagging.
Old 02-26-22, 02:08 PM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1136 Post(s)
Liked 1,179 Times in 686 Posts
Originally Posted by himespau
was going to chime in and say essentially the same thing.
Likes For spelger:
Old 02-26-22, 04:48 PM
AdkMtnMonster
Airplanes, bikes, beer.

Bikes: Road bikes, mountain bikes, a cx bike, a gravel bike…

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 398 Post(s)
Liked 788 Times in 339 Posts
Zwift racing seems like a competition to see who can watch a Bugs Bunny show the bestest. I just watched the Z World Championship race (yeah, I skipped forward a lot. A whole lot.) What a goofy idea for what appears to be a serious competition. I can't call it a sport because the "racers" are allowed to use powerups and other cheating tools. How bizarre. It's like the World Series of Poker. Those guys are putting out the Watts, to be sure, but the competition aspect is nearly all distilled down to timing your jump and clicking on your cheater button. (But I've been wrong before. Very, very wrong. This time is likely one of those times.)
Old 02-26-22, 05:21 PM
Dancing Skeleton

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 34 Posts
I often wonder when I do well (for me) in an event, as I did today, how many in front of me were weight or height doping.
I've only tried one or two races, and it was clear that a significant number of people were cheating.
I don't get it, who are they lying to?
They're lying to themselves, and just being real a-holes.
Then again, I used to be an avid golfer, and if I was playing in a league or tournament, I'd call a penalty on myself, even id no one saw the infraction.
On a casual round, a two-foot gimme' was fine, but in competition, if the ball moved & no one saw it, it still moved, penalty.
On solo rides I may not weigh my self before every ride, but for a race etc. I make sure that it's accurate.
When I'm on the road, and racing a friend over the top of a hill, we are each moving at the speed that were moving because of our W/Kg which we can't fake, and that's only slightly affected by our bikes.
If only it were that way on Zwift.
Old 02-26-22, 07:20 PM
La Tortue

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 27 Posts
To all the fighters against dishonesty in the world of Zwift. You noble warriors whose only goal is to bring parity to the honest Joe consider this. Especially those who don't even Zwift race but bring the fight to the keyboard anyway. Even if all the weight dopers were found and discovered it wouldn't impact Zwft races one iota. I have well over 600 documented Zwift races and performed miserably in all of them. I still have enjoyed this absolutely wonderful app that allows you to have one hell of a good time with old friends while meeting new ones. I seriously doubt there has been any serious cheating in any of them nor do I really care because it doesn't matter. Fix the weight fudgers and you still have the inconsistencies of trainer models, the elevation of the riders, and another host of issues to keep you fighters of windmills happy for at least another Century. You could get in the mix, do your best, and watch your personal improvements soar. Or constantly whine over some geezer who beat you at the line because he bumped his weight by a kg.
Likes For La Tortue:
Old 02-26-22, 10:37 PM
ingo

Bikes: Cervelo S3, Ridley Helium, Cannondale Topstone Carbon, Giant Trance

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 24 Posts
I raced the Rapha Climbing Challenge yesterday up Alpe d Z, in the B category and finished 240 out of 468. Probably a whole bunch of cheaters in such a race. Rode up La Reine today and finished 230/994. lots of people over cat limits in both rides. It doesn't change anything about the experience since the division of cats is arbitrary. I got to ride with a group of avatars and enjoyed myself, put in a harder effort that I would alone, and got some exercise while there is 6" of ice and snow on the roads. Cheating matters at the highest competition levels and when there's something on the line, for the rest it doesn't matter.
Likes For ingo:
Old 02-27-22, 08:39 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,687 Times in 2,510 Posts
Originally Posted by bblair
Now if I could figure out how to double my power output.......
Even IRL, the way people get their w/kg up is to lose weight. Which is why cycling is an eating disorder. It's just that on zwift, you don't have to go hungry to lose weight.

I joined zwift to ride with my friends and those rides are rubber-banded usually, unless the developers break the rubber band functionality again. It's fun to do that.
Likes For unterhausen:
Old 02-27-22, 02:05 PM
Ed Wiser

Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 130 Times in 79 Posts
It’s interesting to watch all this racing talk. How many actually race in the real world. We could use a lot more American actual bike racers. Many real races have been dropped these past few years.
Old 02-27-22, 02:56 PM
gthomson

Bikes: 2013 Cannondale Caad 8, 2010 Opus Fidelio, 1985 Peugeot UO14, 1999 Peugeot Dune, Sakai Select, L'Avantage, 1971 Gitane Apache Standard, 1999 Specialized Hard Rock

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 548 Post(s)
Liked 473 Times in 302 Posts
yeah, I'm on the side of "don't really care that people cheat". After all, lots of cheating outside of the world of Zwift cycling and I can't control that either. It's human nature for people to be arseholes (yeah know, I'm a pessimist). When I join a race or group ride i put way more effort into it when just riding on my own so I got loads out of that ride in sweat and calories and that's what I'm working towards.

But talking about the real racing leagues, I thought they had way more control over the riders in their environments? that year they cancelled all IRL races and had a few e races for professional teams, didn't they require they all use the same trainer, test and send weight right before the race, track numbers from previous rides so there was nothing out of the ordinary and then have a camera on them so they could see if they were cheating? Not sure what else you could do to control it?

Wasn't there some cheating going on in the 80's and 90's during the real racing circuit?
Old 02-27-22, 03:52 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4387 Post(s)
Liked 4,828 Times in 2,984 Posts
Psychology makes sandbagging in Zwift inevitable, and not simply because people want to cheat.

Let's say there's a rider with an FTP of 3.3 or 3.4 W/kg. The official categories say they are a "B". (3.2-3.9), not a "C" (2.5-3.1). If they race in "B", they are going to get creamed by the 3.6-3.9 crowd, so instead they race in "C". Where they demolish the C riders who are following the guidelines.

Those C riders start thinking about racing in "D".....

Now this is happening at all levels, so there are people who should be riding in A (4.0+) b/c they have and FTP of 4.1 and they're getting torched by the stronger A riders. So now the people in the MIDDLE of the B range (3.5-3.6) are getting dropped by riders who are really "A"

Wash, rinse, repeat. The whole thing slides.

If there were enough racers, there would be less sandbagging in a system with more category divisions.
I think this is spot on. The B group in particular is too wide. I'm a mid cat B most of the time, but I drop to cat C for mountainous races because I'm often up around 80 kg and get whipped by the lightweights. For flatter races I stay in cat B. Either way it's rare that I get on the podium, although I only count Zwift Power results, as they usually disqualify the blatant cheaters and sandbaggers.

I don't think there are all that many massive cheaters, but probably a lot using their best fighting weight even though they put on 5 kg over the holidays etc, lol. Also plenty of people with optimistic power readings who don't even realise. Although I think that situation is improving as more people move on to decent modern smart trainers. It's not often I see ZPower riders now. Even a couple of years ago there were a lot more of them.
Old 02-27-22, 04:28 PM
tempocyclist

Bikes: 2002 Trek 5200 (US POSTAL), 2020 Canyon Aeroad SL

Quoted: 313 Post(s)
Liked 679 Times in 327 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
I don't think there are all that many massive cheaters, but probably a lot using their best fighting weight even though they put on 5 kg over the holidays etc, lol. Also plenty of people with optimistic power readings who don't even realise. Although I think that situation is improving as more people move on to decent modern smart trainers. It's not often I see ZPower riders now. Even a couple of years ago there were a lot more of them.
Very few people (racing at least) who use "Z Power" now. Cheaper model smart trainers probably helped the move. Speed sensor setups would have brought a lot of people in and then likely upgraded to get the full interactive experience.
Old 02-27-22, 05:34 PM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1136 Post(s)
Liked 1,179 Times in 686 Posts
I've seen this term sand bagging many times now but have not been able to figure out what it means exactly. please explain.

i've tried two races in zwift. both times i was honest about what cat i should be in (B much to my surprise) and both times i was handed my rear end. part of the problem was my noob experience and also just on the cusp of C to B. Got a sour taste for racing and tried a vew events. the one l liked a lot was the fox and hound or some variant of that. tried both chasing and being chased. both were fun. the chasers were cat A so that was pretty tough, i could not catch up to all the Bs (chasees).
Old 02-27-22, 06:10 PM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Originally Posted by spelger
I've seen this term sand bagging many times now but have not been able to figure out what it means exactly. please explain.

i've tried two races in zwift. both times i was honest about what cat i should be in (B much to my surprise) and both times i was handed my rear end. part of the problem was my noob experience and also just on the cusp of C to B. Got a sour taste for racing and tried a vew events. the one l liked a lot was the fox and hound or some variant of that. tried both chasing and being chased. both were fun. the chasers were cat A so that was pretty tough, i could not catch up to all the Bs (chasees).
Sandbagging would be if you raced in "C" even though your FTP is technically in the "B" range.
Many people on the cusp of C to B would race in C. Whether that counts as sandbagging is in the eye of the beholder.
Old 02-27-22, 06:30 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10397 Post(s)
Liked 11,859 Times in 6,072 Posts
Originally Posted by Ed Wiser
It’s interesting to watch all this racing talk. How many actually race in the real world. We could use a lot more American actual bike racers. Many real races have been dropped these past few years.
I've never raced IRL, at least in part because I have watched local crits up close and gosh, they're exciting! But, you know, I'm 64, with old bones and mediocre bikehandling skills. So I race a bit on Zwift where you don't have to fight for lines through corners and never have to worry about touching wheels in a bunch.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 02-27-22, 06:38 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10397 Post(s)
Liked 11,859 Times in 6,072 Posts
Sandbagging would be if you raced in "C" even though your FTP is technically in the "B" range.
Many people on the cusp of C to B would race in C. Whether that counts as sandbagging is in the eye of the beholder.
I've been racing in D, and now apparently Zwiftpower thinks I should be a C. When I race, I tend to sit in near, but not at, the front, and then try to win the sprint. I've won a number of races - mostly with very small fields - but never won one going away, and I'm not pulling punches in the sprint. But, isn't that how you're SUPPOSED TO race? You don't go full bore from the gun through the entire race IRL, so why would it be so in Zwift? Is that sandbagging? I dunno.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 02-27-22, 06:49 PM
MinnMan

Originally Posted by genejockey
I've never raced IRL, at least in part because I have watched local crits up close and gosh, they're exciting! But, you know, I'm 64, with old bones and mediocre bikehandling skills. So I race a bit on Zwift where you don't have to fight for lines through corners and never have to worry about touching wheels in a bunch.
Yeah, this. Most of the IRL racing around here, apart from gravel, is crits, and I'm just not up for those. I don't want to get hurt and i don't want my lack of cornering skills to take down others. There are very few road races, and I've considered them, though I know I'd get demolished. Gravel events don't have the same issues. Everybody does what they can and not everybody rides them as a race.
Old 02-28-22, 07:56 AM
gthomson

Bikes: 2013 Cannondale Caad 8, 2010 Opus Fidelio, 1985 Peugeot UO14, 1999 Peugeot Dune, Sakai Select, L'Avantage, 1971 Gitane Apache Standard, 1999 Specialized Hard Rock

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 548 Post(s)
Liked 473 Times in 302 Posts
A few years back I watched a few local crit races that took place just outside of my office on the commute home from work and mostly young lads who would recover much faster than I would from a crash. I was amazed though to see this mature woman, younger than me but older then these lads and she was right in the middle of the peloton the entire race. Full kudos to her for having the guts to battle it out it out with these guys half her age.
Old 02-28-22, 02:45 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,687 Times in 2,510 Posts
I was about to start racing again 30 years ago and then non-cycling related events intervened. At my age, I don't bounce very well. I'm not sure I'm up to racing on zwift at this point, although I do enjoy going on group rides sometimes.

It would be interesting to see how TrainerRoad's new ftp estimation software would work relative to zwift racing. Although people might perform at a higher apparent ftp under those conditions. I think I can sometimes.
Old 03-01-22, 12:15 PM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by genejockey
I've been racing in D, and now apparently Zwiftpower thinks I should be a C. When I race, I tend to sit in near, but not at, the front, and then try to win the sprint. I've won a number of races - mostly with very small fields - but never won one going away, and I'm not pulling punches in the sprint. But, isn't that how you're SUPPOSED TO race? You don't go full bore from the gun through the entire race IRL, so why would it be so in Zwift? Is that sandbagging? I dunno.
Yeah I think as long as you don't win easily every time it's fair play. You get a feel for when it's time to move up a level. As I'm not a particularly explosive sprinter I tend to go for a solo break in the last couple of kms. Full gas off the front and then try to hang on all the way to the line. The element of surprise sometimes works as others are starting to sit up in preparation for a bunch sprint. But I can only pull that sort of move off in a C group with a reasonable chance of success, no chance in a strong B group. So although technically I'm a mid-pack B rider I usually race in C where I may have a realistic chance of a win or podium rather than absolutely no chance whatsoever in B.

I believe Thomas De Gendt famously once said "it's easier to break away from the pro tour peloton than win a Zwift race!"
Old 03-01-22, 12:27 PM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2333 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
Is Thomas De Gendt the guy who did done breaked Zwift?

His output on a climb was too high and he crashed the server or something. LOL

There are people who can legitimately put 500 watts down for a pretty long time and IRL, they win World TT titles. In Zwift, they get dropped. LOL
Old 03-01-22, 12:35 PM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by GhostRider62
Is Thomas De Gendt the guy who did done breaked Zwift?

His output on a climb was too high and he crashed the server or something. LOL

There are people who can legitimately put 500 watts down for a pretty long time and IRL, they win World TT titles. In Zwift, they get dropped. LOL
Yeah, he got pulled from a Zwift race because they presumed he was cheating. I guess their algorithm wasn't designed for pro tour riders at that time!

https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/de-...oing-too-fast/