Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

San Diego to Las Vegas

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

San Diego to Las Vegas

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-09, 02:05 PM
lksfirecapt

Bikes: Giant FCR-3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
San Diego to Las Vegas

Would like to ride from the Temecula area to Salt Lake City. I have a good route north out of Vegas but cannot find a good route from SoCal to Vegas? Anyone have a suggestion?

Thanks
Old 04-12-09, 11:55 AM
BryanKeith

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here's a description of a ride I did from Palm Springs to Las Vegas via Joshua Tree National Park, Mojave National Preserve, and Death Valley National Park (no interstate riding):
https://ideotrope.org/index.pl?node_id=73105

On a different ride I rode from Palm Springs to San Diego via Temecula and the Palms to Pines highway. That was hilly and paved. Mojave National Preserve is beautiful, and the riding is easy. It's straightforward to get to Las Vegas without riding through Death Valley like I did.

I'm curious what your route is from Las Vegas. I once rode from St. George to Las Vegas, and we rode a long section on I-15 (from Beaver Dam to Mesquite, I think). Not pleasant, but doable.

If you follow the route in the previous post, note that you'll be on the interstate around Cabezon. It's useful to have a good bike description of that route. I got a bit confused riding from Palm Springs to Banning.

Bryan
Old 04-23-09, 08:55 PM
tourdottk
soncycle

Bikes: sunn vertik

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
yes, we did the same thing in opposite direction.
We ended up in Dana Point eventually.
So San Jacinto, a few miles on the 10, no other option there, turn-off to Desert Hot Springs and Twenty-Nine Palms. Then take the Amboy road to, you guessed it, Amboy. Take plenty of water, it is hot, long and lonely here. No tap water in Amboy either, only small bottles for 1$ each at Roy's...
From there on Route 66 to Essex and Fenner, where you can stock up on free water!
Follow route 66 till you hit the 95 and north you go!
Have fun, but remember the water!
Ali
Old 04-23-09, 09:31 PM
jabantik00

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i did this in july 2008 (freaking HOT) on my way to vegas and parts beyond:
oceanside to dirt road/national forest near anza
anza to 29 palms
29 palms to somewhere on kelbaker road. i slept in the shade of a potassium chloride mine somewhere before amboy during the day and continued in the evening/night.
kelbaker road through mojave to ca stateline lottery store and nv hotels.

there's vending water/drinks outside roy's in amboy and some water or restaurant water at the train station (or whatever it is) in kelso. there's a store (might not be open) in cima. carry a lot of water and enjoy the heat. it doesn't get much hotter in just about anywhere else in the world.
Old 05-12-22, 11:04 AM
jbalk

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Would you mind sharing the route you ended up doing from SLC to SoCal?