Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Indoor & Stationary Cycling Forum
Reload this Page >

Schwinn IC3 stationary bike seat suggestions

Notices
Indoor & Stationary Cycling Forum From spin to Zwift to Peloton, this forum is dedicated to any and all indoor training on stationary bikes

Old 05-21-22, 12:07 PM
steve1966

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi. I am looking for suggestions (any and all price ranges) for a more comfortable seat than the stock Schwinn seat.
I want to begin a cycling routine that will feel a bit more comfortable for longer trips.
Suggestions on brands, models, price range and where to look for a good quality comfy saddle for a 240 pound frame
The stock seat is ok but not very comfortable for any length of time spent on the bike.
If I am going to be utilizing this exercise bike as intended , no point in "suffering" with the stock seat.
May as well go up one or two notches on comfort and quality
I have seen a lot of options, but want to be better informed or educated on choosing a saddle that will accommodate 240 pounds comfortably.

Thanks, Steve
Old 05-23-22, 07:37 AM
dmanthree

Bikes: Garmin/Tacx Bike Smart

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 191 Posts
Question:

I'm not familiar with that unit. Can it take a standard bike seat?
What are you wearing? Can you wear bike shorts with a padded seat?

It's a very personal decision, but I ended up with a Brooks B17 on my Wahoo Kickr bike.
Old 05-23-22, 05:34 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4384 Post(s)
Liked 4,824 Times in 2,981 Posts
At a quick glance it does look like it can take standard saddle rails and the stock saddle looks hideous!

Now saddles are a very personal choice, but I would start with something pretty standard and not too expensive like a Fabric Scoop - that most people would get on with reasonably well.

Don't fall into the trap of thinking that you need extra padding or width. Those huge "fatboy" saddles you often see on gym bikes are not actually very comfortable beyond an hour of use. They feel superficially comfortable to sit on for the first few minutes and then you realise that your sit bones are not properly supported, which can be agony after an hour of pedalling.
Old 08-20-22, 03:54 PM
Muni

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yup, with the proper seat and positioning it'll make a world of a difference. When I was first looking for a new saddle, I was about to pull the trigger on a fat boy cushion saddle. Then after reading up on ****** I realized that those sofa-like saddles usually cause more problems than helping you.

I went down to my LBS and sat on their sit bone measurement device and went with a 155mm Specialized Expert Mimic saddle and never looked back. It wasn't cheap at $160 + tax but it has been oh so comfortable, even spinning for extended periods.
Old 08-24-22, 01:33 PM
Barry2 
LR÷P=HR

Bikes: 1981 Holdsworth Special, 1993 C-dale MT3000 & 1996 F700CAD3, 2018 Cervelo R3 & 2022 R5, JustGo Runt, Ridley Oval, Kickr Bike 8-)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 862 Post(s)
Liked 1,195 Times in 687 Posts
Finding a saddle that fits your, eh .... frame..... is a bit of an issue.
As previously said the Fabric Scoop can be a good option for some people, but be aware that the Scoop comes in two Widths and 3 different curves!

Finding the right one for you can be an expensive experiment. I myself have two Scoops (saddles not ice cream) and others, in my parts bin.

Determining how a saddle fails to fit is very important. Exactly where does it rub, chafe, place pressure.... will help you find how your existing saddle fails to meet your requirements.
Do take your existing saddle to the store for a side by side comparison.

Also of great importance is the angle adjustment of the existing saddle.
Start with the saddle perfectly level (using a bubble level) and make very small adjustments.
Be aware, if the saddle rubs in the front and you tilt the front downward, this can cause the pelvis to tilt further forwards making the rub in the front worse.
So the required adjustment can be counter-intuitive.

I personally use a digital level so that I can reproduce a saddle angle accurately.
I then keep paper notes regarding angle and my felt result. It took some time, but I've now the perfect saddle & setup for my outdoor bikes + the same setup on my Indoor Wahoo Kickr Bike.

All the best

Barry