Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

VELOCALS review

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-14, 01:08 PM
autism

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
VELOCALS review

I just received my VELOCALS stickers for a 1970 Gitane Grand Sport de Luxe.
The price was $50 shipped... maybe it's just me, but it's just waay too much. Also, they break apart a set of stickers that come with one bike and sell them separately (see attached pic - they sell this for extra $15 even though it's part of the same set), as if i'm buying stickers for different bikes, so my total came up to about $65 for what should've been a single set of decals for a single bike.

Anyway, the fonts are sloppily matched, they look like original only to a typographically challenged person. If you see no difference, for example, between Arial and Verdana, then it's no problem. Tons of mistakes in colors, width of the lines, etc. Sloppy job. I left them a Positive feedback on ebay, but it's not like if i really had a choice there.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
$15 extra.jpg (36.6 KB, 403 views)

Last edited by autism; 08-13-14 at 01:40 PM.
Old 02-02-16, 10:43 AM
Don Buska

Location: Milwaukee-Chicago (Last stop on the North Shore Metra Line)

Bikes: 1975 Fuji 'The Finest', 1975 Fuji Super Road Racer S10-S,1980 SR 10-Speed, 1980 Fuji Newest, 1984 Araya 14-Speed, 1985 Bridgestone 500, 1986 Fuji 'Sekkei Series', 1995 Gary Fisher Kaitai MTB

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts
I've never had the opportunity to use their stickers and it's nice to see someone is trying. However, my initial experience is they have terrible customer or potential customer service. I have a 1980 Fuji Newest that I wanted to investigate if they had a set that could help me with one of the stickers I required. Although they have many Fuji sets it didn't appear they had one for the 1978-1980 Newest.

Bottom line is I sent about five emails, an eBay question and called their website telephone number which only sent me to an answering machine. No reply from them at all! I run my own business and that's just a terrible way to run a business. Heck I'd except "sorry we don't have anything that you can use" as an answer, but to simply blow off people. I guess the field is open for someone who knows how to run a business to put Velocal out of theirs.

<< PLEASE NOTE: This post is above is getting old and I have since done work with them on some semi-custom decals that are now part of their standard set. So I do hope that others will have better luck in breaking through to them when they seem to have those times when communications breakdown occur. >>

Last edited by Don Buska; 05-02-19 at 10:34 AM.
Old 02-02-16, 11:45 AM
EnzoRWD
enginerd

Bikes: officially too many now...

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked 127 Times in 42 Posts
I used Velocals for my 86 3rensho. At the time, way cheaper than any alternative. I was happy with the quality and communication. That was several years ago, though.

Old 02-02-16, 09:41 PM
bykemike 

Bikes: 2017 BMC Roadmachine 01 Enve wheels, Sram red etap,Cinelli Vigorelli single speed, 2009 Cannondale Capo, 2016 trek Domane 6.9, disc and Di2, 2016 Scott Scale 710, 27.5 plus tires and boost rims

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked 203 Times in 81 Posts
I have had excellent luck with Velocal. I did a very nice vintage Pinarello and a Ciocc with their products. Perfect fit and appearance. A bit high priced but by head and shoulders the best out there.

Just my experience.
Old 02-02-16, 09:53 PM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 156 Post(s)
Quoted: 2323 Post(s)
Liked 4,936 Times in 1,763 Posts
Yep, I've got to chime in too. JR did respond to my email and several subsequent replies with various questions. I haven't placed my order yet but I fully expect to once I get back to that project.

OP, can you post a better pic because I really can't tell anything in terms of detail and quality by what you show. Doh, I just realized the OP posted years ago...
Old 02-03-16, 12:29 AM
LuckySailor

Bikes: Trek 520 total custom build, Cannondale Mountain Tandem, Oryx Mountain Bike

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Got mine last year-they are awesome. Will order again this year for another bike. Before you left a positive review, could you not have called them or emailed them to express your disapproval? Most certainly they would have sent replacements.
Old 02-03-16, 02:00 AM
Happyday

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I had my steel frame respray last year. The factory asked me to order a set of Pinarello decals from Cyclomondo and send the frame to them with the decals. Excellent product and service!

CYCLOMONDO - BICYCLE RESTORATION DECALS
Old 05-01-19, 05:04 AM
buddiiee 

Bikes: 70's Nuovo Record Jeunet Franche Compte, '88 105 Trek 1200, '85 Victory Bianchi Vittoria, '89 Exage Bianchi Strada LX, '11 Shimano Masi Partenza

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Don Buska
I've never had the opportunity to use their stickers and it's nice to see someone is trying. However, my initial experience is they have terrible customer or potential customer service. I have a 1980 Fuji Newest that I wanted to investigate if they had a set that could help me with one of the stickers I required. Although they have many Fuji sets it didn't appear they had one for the 1978-1980 Newest.

Bottom line is I sent about five emails, an eBay question and called their website telephone number which only sent me to an answering machine. No reply from them at all! I run my own business and that's just a terrible way to run a business. Heck I'd except "sorry we don't have anything that you can use" as an answer, but to simply blow off people. I guess the field is open for someone who knows how to run a business to put Velocal out of theirs.
Ahhhhhhh.... so I see I'm not the only person that gets ZERO out of them WHATSOEVER... Interesting...

Old 05-01-19, 12:43 PM
Don Buska

Bikes: 1975 Fuji 'The Finest', 1975 Fuji Super Road Racer S10-S,1980 SR 10-Speed, 1980 Fuji Newest, 1984 Araya 14-Speed, 1985 Bridgestone 500, 1986 Fuji 'Sekkei Series', 1995 Gary Fisher Kaitai MTB

Originally Posted by buddiiee
Ahhhhhhh.... so I see I'm not the only person that gets ZERO out of them WHATSOEVER... Interesting...
I've have since done a great deal of work with Velocal without problem. This includes them creating new decals based on digital artwork I supplied to them. They do get busy which can cause delays and it is probably helpful when you get to know a few of the people by name. Still I would agree that if your getting no response to multiple emails it is not good practice or form for a business.
Old 05-01-19, 02:08 PM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1017 Post(s)
Liked 783 Times in 413 Posts
Originally Posted by Don Buska
I've have since done a great deal of work with Velocal without problem. This includes them creating new decals based on digital artwork I supplied to them. They do get busy which can cause delays and it is probably helpful when you get to know a few of the people by name. Still I would agree that if your getting no response to multiple emails it is not good practice or form for a business.

I know the OP of this thread is rather old, but how did you get Velocals to actually do that for you? I did the same thing you did with artwork to produce some TUNTURI decals. But never a response. Previously, I had purchased some Motobecane decals from them and the customer service was great. Then silence.

If you know of anyone else that produces bike decals at a reasonable price please let me know.

Dan
Old 05-01-19, 04:30 PM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1741 Post(s)
Liked 1,369 Times in 718 Posts
Coming from another perspective, it is quite possible the emails are not getting through to them. Undeliverable messages do not always pop up in the inbox for messages that are being quarantined, redirected, etc.
Old 05-01-19, 06:39 PM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 852 Post(s)
Liked 1,433 Times in 815 Posts
This past week I received a set of decals that look exactly like the original decals on the bike. I had no communication with them other than placing the order. No need to.
Old 05-01-19, 07:54 PM
Wileyone 

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 1858 Post(s)
Liked 606 Times in 403 Posts
Originally Posted by autism
The price was $50 shipped... maybe it's just me, but it's just waay too much. Also, they break apart a set of stickers that come with one bike and sell them separately (see attached pic - they sell this for extra $15 even though it's part of the same set), as if i'm buying stickers for different bikes, so my total came up to about $65 for what should've been a single set of decals for a single bike.

Anyway, the fonts are sloppily matched, they look like original only to a typographically challenged person. If you see no difference, for example, between Arial and Verdana, then it's no problem. Tons of mistakes in colors, width of the lines, etc. Sloppy job. I left them a Positive feedback on ebay, but it's not like if i really had a choice there.
Those decals could have been done locally. Any competent sign/decal shop could have produced those. All they would need would be to match the font and have the correct sizing and colour. They would probably be much cheaper too.
Old 05-02-19, 10:20 AM
Don Buska

Originally Posted by _ForceD_
I know the OP of this thread is rather old, but how did you get Velocals to actually do that for you? I did the same thing you did with artwork to produce some TUNTURI decals. But never a response. Previously, I had purchased some Motobecane decals from them and the customer service was great. Then silence.

If you know of anyone else that produces bike decals at a reasonable price please let me know.

Dan
Sorry to hear about your current experience. Wish I had an answer for you, but I don't. My last custom batch was over a year ago. I'd guess that the "velo' side of the business is a very small part of the overall business activity for them. After a couple of back-and-forth emails during my last work with them I got 'names' and started drafting my emails directed to a specific person. That seemed to improve the reply rate. I do know when I got my last 'Suntour Superbe Pro' special downtube stickers made I was told it might take awhile, but actually they got it done relatively fast (about one month). Now you must realize I supplied very high resolution graphics files in several formats. I did pixel-by-pixel level editing on the Superbe Pro graphic to really make it clean and smooth, even if it got blownup in size for other purposes. I then told them exactly what size I wanted the graphic to be for my use. Both my Superbe Pro and some Fuji related items became a part of their standard offerings - that made me feel pretty good about the workmanship I put in to creating them.

BTW, they also have a Facebook page so you might try there as a communications starter too.

Last edited by Don Buska; 05-02-19 at 10:40 AM.
Old 10-27-20, 04:26 PM
Bcormier

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by autism

Same issue here. I placed an order over 30 days ago and have yet to hear anything from Velocals. I sent several emails and placed 3 calls-no response. The only thing that happened quickly was the payment from my credit card. Their customer service is nothing to be desired. If anyone can suggest another vendor I would appreciate hearing from you. I'm restoring a 1985 Centurion/Cinelli bike and need decals.
Old 10-27-20, 04:52 PM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 1,057 Times in 631 Posts
The colors were screwed up on my Paramount decals, gold border on one, while border on another. Fortunately they peeled off, good riddance. Terrible service too, for what they charge. Slow as well.

This guy is in Australia, and he's much faster, and the decals I got (Columbus tubing stickers) are probably better than the originals ones:

https://www.cyclomondo.net/

Old 10-28-20, 12:56 PM
tpadul 

Bikes: 1984 Sekai 5000 Superbe, 1987 Raleigh Seneca Mountain Tour, 1984 Schwinn World Sport, 1978 Raleigh Grand Prix, 2021 Handsome She Devil, Mystery Vintage purple road bike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked 124 Times in 61 Posts
I just bought replacement decals from them at a very reduced price and they came out great and are a perfect match

Old 10-28-20, 03:54 PM
Jean_TX

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
I bought some downtube decals from Velocals for my classic 1990 Klein Pinnacle. They are an exact match for the originals and they high quality. I had no problems dealing with Velocals.
Likes For Jean_TX:
Old 10-28-20, 04:42 PM
Mad Honk 

Bikes: Paramount, Faggin, Ochsner, Ciocc, Basso

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 1301 Post(s)
Liked 1,903 Times in 1,137 Posts
So once again a zombie thread re-emerges.
My latest experience with VC was at first a problem, but not one that was created by VC. I ordered a set of decals in August for a repaint I was doing. By October the decals could not be found in my inbox even though the post office claimed to have delivered them early in September. So I went back and re-ordered the set. JR called me direct and apologized even though it was nothing they did. The re-order showed up within a week and now all is good with me. The cost of the decal set was not high by comparison to other sites and for now they seem to be quite adequate. The install instructions are clear and easy to understand. And they specify the clear coat process which is a bit different than my normal process. So far, my opinion is: they are fine folks trying to help the bike community. Smiles, MH
Likes For Mad Honk:
Old 10-29-20, 08:49 AM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 156 Post(s)
Quoted: 2323 Post(s)
Liked 4,936 Times in 1,763 Posts
Well I may as well chime back in on this. I've used them several times now with no problems. Everything I have gotten from them has been top-notch. I actually just sent another email to JR this morning to finalize another order. There's been a couple of times JR doesn't have what I need show on the site but once I email and ask he always comes through. I've found him fast and responsive to all of my emails over the years.
Old 10-29-20, 09:04 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
I've had good success with both Velocals and Cyclemondo. The key is to check actual inventory before placing an order, unless you have the luxury of advanced planning and enough time to wait. I would not place an "out of stock" or custom order with a looming deadline. That's a recipe for frustration. Build time into your schedule for unforeseen delays...
Likes For Phil_gretz:
Old 10-29-20, 09:54 AM
Jicafold

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 360 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 89 Posts
I have been happy with Velocals as well. I painted this Bridgestone recently and used their decals. I even screwed up one decal and they sent another for free.

Likes For Jicafold:
Old 10-10-21, 04:23 PM
mikestr

Bikes: 1973 Mercier 300, 1974 Peugeot PX10L, 1975 Lejeune Champion du Monde, 1982 Peugeot PX 10 Super Competition, 1984 Motobecane SP, 1987 Peugeot PX10, 1983 Basso Gap

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
VeloCals--Still Not So Good

I recently received a set of Motobecane and Simplex decals from VeloCals. I had to remove all but one. Each had a problem--poorly executed lettering, wrong design--clear border where there should have been none, mirror finish where it should have been matte. I don't know if this is just par for the course with replacement decals, as I have no experience with this, but I found this a waste of time and money.