Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage > Classic and Vintage Sales
Reload this Page >

FS: 1972 Raleigh International Fixed Gear - 24.5"

Notices
Classic and Vintage Sales Private Sales Only, no online storefronts. All prices must be quoted, we are not an auction site.

Old 08-17-22, 07:29 PM
Kilroy1988 

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 981 Post(s)
Liked 1,836 Times in 608 Posts

Hello folks,

I just finished putting together this 1972 Raleigh International, which I purchased as a frameset from Eroica CA earlier this year... I had planned to do this build as an intermediary while I gathered up all of the other parts to return the bike to its stock configuration, but alas, I simply have too many bicycles to store around here now and a couple that cost a pretty penny which I promised my wife I'd make back by selling some others!

The frameset itself is a 24.5" (center-to-top) with a 23" top tube (center-to-center) and is fully constructed from double butted Reynolds 531 tubing with chrome Nervex Professional lugs and Campagnolo dropouts. There is only one tiny ding on one of the seat stays, but otherwise it's all just down to little paint chips and rub marks here and there. I replaced all of the decals except the "International" ones on the top tube, and the "Raleigh" down tube decals are carefully placed above the originals, which did not want to be removed. This is one of those frames that suffered from an infamous lack of quality control at Raleigh during production at the height of the bike boom, and the brazing and filing around the lugs is not very good, but it's all solidly constructed. For example, the most obvious issue is that the bottom of the lug that joins the top tube to the head tube has actually been filed flush to meet with the top tube, which seems very odd indeed! But you have to get down and look to see that. So, there's a bit of colorful history to throw in with the lot!

As far as the current build is concerned, the Weinmann 610 brake calipers, slotted and quick-release levers and Carlton hoods, GB stem and handlebars, and the poor condition Brooks Professional saddle are the only stock components on the bike. Please note that Dia-Compe cable clamps were the only ones I had handy and the brake pads are old but really work fine for the fixed-gear configuration.

Otherwise, the build includes a 27" wheelset with modern Weinmann rims on Origin8 hubs (flip-flop rear), a Sugino Mighty crankset (with a single drillium hole in each arm - they've been that way through thousands of miles and work just fine) with 52 tooth outer chainring with a set of square washers I made in order to utilize the double-ring nuts and bolts, a Sugino bottom bracket, Way Assauto pedals, an SR seat post (27.0mm, but it clamps fine), unmarked alloy wingnuts and unmarked steel toe clips with plastic Lapize toe straps, a Brampton headset and new Kenda 27x1 1/4" tires with Specialized tubes. The headset and bottom bracket are freshly greased, the pedals were done a couple years ago for another build, and the hubs still spin as nicely as when I purchased the wheelset new a few years ago.

The remaining several links from the new KMC chain and the pin that was removed for installation will be included in the original chain box, as well as the matching Sugino 44-tooth inner chainring. The Silca frame pump appears to work fine and is included, as well as a Campagnolo umbrella cap. However, I am waiting for delivery of a similar cap with minor wear that will be traded out for the super clean one shown in the photos.

I took the bike out for a couple of miles to check that everything was tight (which it all wasn't) and it rode pleasantly! Everything has been tightened up to my satisfaction after the short ride, but as always, please check that everything is tightened up to your own satisfaction before riding for safety's sake.

I'm looking to get $400 for it plus the actual cost of shipping via BikeFlights or Ship Bikes (whichever ends up being more convenient - I've used both services before). I live in Visalia, CA and would be happy if someone would like to arrange to pick up the bike locally as well. Cheers!

-Gregory

Last edited by Kilroy1988; 08-29-22 at 04:21 PM.
Likes For Kilroy1988:
Old 08-17-22, 07:42 PM
Dylansbob 
2k miles from the midwest

Bikes: ~'75 Colin Laing, '80s Schwinn SuperSport 650b, ex-Backroads ti project...

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 525 Post(s)
Liked 930 Times in 446 Posts
There's just something about that burgundy Newbaums tape that works on old Raleighs.
Likes For Dylansbob:
Old 08-18-22, 06:50 PM
mhespenheide 

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse, LeMond Victoire, Bianchi Campione d'Italia, Kona Hei Hei, Ritchey Ultra, Schwinn "Paramount" PDG, '83 Trek 640

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Liked 310 Times in 201 Posts
In the event that you don't sell it complete, I'd be interested in the bare frameset. I totally understand that you'd want to sell it as-is first.
Likes For mhespenheide:
Old 08-18-22, 11:17 PM
Essthreetee

Bikes: 2001 LeMond Nevada City, ‘92 Merlin Titanium, '84 Torpado Super Strada, ‘84 Schwinn Tempo, '81 Bianchi Limites, '73 Raleigh Supercourse

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 41 Posts
Dang Gregory. I love this bike. It is the right size and one that I have wanted for a while. AAAAND I am about 10 miles away from you…

Must….not….think….about….it….
Old 08-23-22, 12:42 PM
Kilroy1988 

Originally Posted by Essthreetee
Dang Gregory. I love this bike. It is the right size and one that I have wanted for a while. AAAAND I am about 10 miles away from you…

Must….not….think….about….it….
Thank you. It rides pretty nicely and looks the part! I just dropped the price a bit and tightened everything up. I also put a better condition Italian made leather saddle on it because that Brooks Professional finally saw its day - I had little pieces of it stuck all over my shorts after my second ride out.

Cheers!

-Gregory
Old 08-24-22, 03:06 AM
*Scuba 
Made in Taiwan

Bikes: Camerotti ti roadbike, Old Sears Free Spirit Tange Hi-Ten Single Speed built from a 12 speed, 1997 Cannondale CAD3 r500 with Shimano 6400 groupset

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
Dang it, if this was only a little bit smaller.
Likes For *Scuba:
Old 08-25-22, 05:35 PM
clubman 
Phyllo-buster

Bikes: roadsters, club bikes, fixed and classic

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Quoted: 2286 Post(s)
Liked 2,025 Times in 1,243 Posts
Originally Posted by Kilroy1988
Hello folks,

... I promised my wife I'd make back by selling some others!

-Gregory
Ha! That old pecadillo. She will or already has caught on you know. Lovely bike
Old 08-29-22, 04:21 PM
Kilroy1988 

Bump! This one's going up on eBay but I'd much prefer to sell it here. The price is now $400 + shipping and I'll have to part it back out before going any lower. Cheers!
Old 09-04-22, 09:31 AM
Kilroy1988 

Bump! Hope everyone here stateside has a safe Labor Day, and to everyone else that the weekend is going well in general. Cheers!

-Gregory
Old 09-19-22, 09:54 AM
Kilroy1988 

The frameset has been sold. If anyone is interested in any other components feel free to ask about pricing. Thanks!

-Gregory

Last edited by Kilroy1988; 09-21-22 at 08:41 PM.
Old 09-23-22, 10:40 AM
Gary12000 

Bikes: '71 Raleigh Inter, '98 Tommasini, '83 Trek 500, 83 Trek 720 '

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked 198 Times in 109 Posts
PM sent on cockpit and brakes..
Old 09-23-22, 06:57 PM
Kilroy1988 

The Sugino crankset and bottom bracket have been paid for. There is a transaction -in-progress for the bars, stem, brake levers, calipers and cables. Cheers!

-Gregory