Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Immersive waxing / it should be more popular

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Immersive waxing / it should be more popular

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-22, 08:26 AM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2613 Post(s)
Liked 3,129 Times in 1,645 Posts
Originally Posted by pallen
I am amazed at the strong opinions on this.
I do the wax dip on my commuter because the chain stays cleaner. I'll probably do the same on my road bike when it's time for a new chain because I like clean.
I've used all kinds of lube on my chains over the decades - can't really tell a difference as far as longevity of the chain for my riding. I replace chains every few years, so it's not a big hardship either way.
Cheers and a big +1
Old 12-17-22, 10:36 AM
AnthonyE

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Lombard
This is ridiculous. Wax lubes can be just as messy as oil-based lubes. The big difference is that oil is better at lubricating a chain than wax - yes, even hot wax. Used correctly, riders get over 10K miles out of their oil based lubed chains. Do you get over 10K miles out of your hot waxed chains?

The key to having any lube be less messy is to wipe the chain thoroughly after lubing, then wipe it again after the first post-lube ride. Mess will be minimal.
I'm really not sure how this is ridiculous. There is no scenario that a hot waxed chain will be even close to as messy as a drip lube. Even the drip lubes that claim to dry really don't ever dry hard like hot melt.That means there is no way to keep contaminants out which always ends up creating a lapping paste that grinds away metal into a black sludge. You would literally need to completely clean the chain after every ride and reapply drip lube to prevent this. Even then, the contaminants that end up inside the chain during the ride are still grinding away metal. This also means there is absolutely no way that these drip lubes compete in terms of chain wear. There is sooo much data out there that supports this so I'm sure it's even debatable at this point. Not to mention hot melt wax is such a simple process after the initial chain clean has been done. This initial chain clean really should be done before traditional drip lubes to work their best anyway. Most people don't do this chain clean first before applying drip lubes therefore end up with so much road grit sticking to their chain. Then it becomes even more difficult to get a fully cleaned chain. I hate to say that this hot melt wax chain lube method just isn't a debate anymore.
Old 12-17-22, 11:15 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
Originally Posted by AnthonyE
I hate to say that this hot melt wax chain lube method just isn't a debate anymore.
Over 600 posts to the thread. I'd say it's still a debate.
Old 12-17-22, 11:19 AM
SpedFast
Just Pedaling

Bikes: YEP!

Quoted: 328 Post(s)
Liked 516 Times in 343 Posts
Originally Posted by seypat
Over 600 posts to the thread. I'd say it's still a debate.
And probably will be until chains become obsolete haha
Likes For SpedFast:
Old 12-17-22, 11:48 AM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon, 2017 Jamis Renegade Exploit and too many others to mention.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 863 Times in 573 Posts
I'm really not sure how this is ridiculous. There is no scenario that a hot waxed chain will be even close to as messy as a drip lube. Even the drip lubes that claim to dry really don't ever dry hard like hot melt.That means there is no way to keep contaminants out which always ends up creating a lapping paste that grinds away metal into a black sludge. You would literally need to completely clean the chain after every ride and reapply drip lube to prevent this. Even then, the contaminants that end up inside the chain during the ride are still grinding away metal. This also means there is absolutely no way that these drip lubes compete in terms of chain wear. There is sooo much data out there that supports this so I'm sure it's even debatable at this point. Not to mention hot melt wax is such a simple process after the initial chain clean has been done. This initial chain clean really should be done before traditional drip lubes to work their best anyway. Most people don't do this chain clean first before applying drip lubes therefore end up with so much road grit sticking to their chain. Then it becomes even more difficult to get a fully cleaned chain. I hate to say that this hot melt wax chain lube method just isn't a debate anymore.
It's ridiculous. A process that takes more time, requires more space with more equipment and makes more of a mess. You can't tell me that there isn't a flaky mess on the floor after working the links on a hot waxed chain. All this for what? A chain that lasts no longer nor does it give you longer lube intervals, than oil based wet lubes. Granted the chain will stay cleaner once on the bike. IIRC, there was one guy in this thread that said he re-waxes when he hears his chain squeak from dryness. I re-lube every 500 miles, but I never, ever hear squeaking from dryness in between lube times. Furthermore, if you get caught in the rain or ride on wet roads, it's re-wax time. A lengthy waste of time process with no advantage in the real world.
Likes For Lombard:
Old 12-17-22, 12:32 PM
scottfsmith
I like bike

Bikes: Roubaix Comp 2020

Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked 283 Times in 191 Posts
... Even the drip lubes that claim to dry really don't ever dry hard like hot melt.
Here is some wax that dripped on the floor after my latest lube which I scraped off and put in water for a couple hours:

Only thing is, this was not hot wax it was Silca SS drip lube. This stuff dries hard like wax and stays hard, it is not water soluble.
Likes For scottfsmith:
Old 12-17-22, 12:41 PM
Branko D

Quoted: 338 Post(s)
Liked 408 Times in 252 Posts
All this for what? A chain that lasts no longer nor does it give you longer lube intervals, than oil based wet lubes.
There's a wealth of evidence to the contrary. Now, sure, if someone doesn't want the faff of waxing, sure... but oil based wet lubes are dire. They're crap, and the new generation of wax based drip on lubes lead not only to longer lasting chains but lower drivetrain losses.
​​​​​​
The difference is akin to the performance difference between a bike with 105 and one upgraded to full Dura-ace and with the difference in drivetrain wear, the upgrade costs less money to run (as there are now fairly cheap lubes which perform excellently).

The only reason to use old oil lubes is sheer inertia.

Last edited by Branko D; 12-17-22 at 12:50 PM.
Old 12-17-22, 01:01 PM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon, 2017 Jamis Renegade Exploit and too many others to mention.

Originally Posted by Branko D
There's a wealth of evidence to the contrary.
Really? Nobody in this thread had been able to claim their hox wax backs this "wealth of evidence". All I get is links to a bunch of charts from tests done by Molten Speedwax.
​​​​​​
The difference is akin to the performance difference between a bike with 105 and one upgraded to full Dura-ace
WTF! Do you really think in a blind test (not literally of course), you could tell a difference in performance between a 105, Ultegra or Dura-Ace drivetrain? They all perform equally well. So then you are now admitting there is no difference in the performance between hot wax vs. oil based wet lubes? Yes, this is what I have been saying all along.

and with the difference in drivetrain wear............
Are you talking about the fact that DA cassettes wear out faster because they are made of Ti? No lube can change that.
Likes For Lombard:
Old 12-17-22, 04:25 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 2613 Post(s)
Liked 3,129 Times in 1,645 Posts
It's ridiculous. A process that takes more time, requires more space with more equipment and makes more of a mess. You can't tell me that there isn't a flaky mess on the floor after working the links on a hot waxed chain. All this for what? A chain that lasts no longer nor does it give you longer lube intervals, than oil based wet lubes. Granted the chain will stay cleaner once on the bike. IIRC, there was one guy in this thread that said he re-waxes when he hears his chain squeak from dryness. I re-lube every 500 miles, but I never, ever hear squeaking from dryness in between lube times. Furthermore, if you get caught in the rain or ride on wet roads, it's re-wax time. A lengthy waste of time process with no advantage in the real world.
It's cleanliness. You mentioned it earlier in your post. Also, some riders here are going pretty hard on the solvent cleanings and ultrasonic baths, but non of that is really necessary IME to enjoy the benefits of wax. It can be done lightly.
Old 12-17-22, 04:30 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Quoted: 1939 Post(s)
Liked 1,463 Times in 1,012 Posts
It's ridiculous.
Have you ever tried waxing?

A process that takes more time, requires more space with more equipment and makes more of a mess.
Waxing does not take more time than applying wet lube roller by roller. But waxing takes more time than just spraying wet lube onto the chain while back pedaling. As for space, as someone with a 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon, a 2017 Jamis Renegade Exploit, and too many others to mention, surely you can spare a little space for a 2 qt. Crock Pot.

You can't tell me that there isn't a flaky mess on the floor after working the links on a hot waxed chain.
Yes, but wax flakes are easier to clean off the floor than lube, should one be so inclined.

All this for what? A chain that lasts no longer nor does it give you longer lube intervals, than oil based wet lubes.
Wax on a chain hardens unlike lube, which becomes a black slurry after only a single ride (at least for me). That slurry feels gritty between my fingers when I am wiping the chain, so logically the drive train would wear out sooner. ZFC testing has shown that to be the case. Maybe in the real world it makes no difference since we are replacing chains every few thousand miles anyway.

Granted the chain will stay cleaner once on the bike.
For some of us, especially those who like to tinker with their bikes, this is a big advantage.

IIRC, there was one guy in this thread that said he re-waxes when he hears his chain squeak from dryness.
The wax dries when it cools, so (1) it is dry from the get go, and (2) he must have better hearing than I do (which is not saying much) to be able to hear the difference in chain noise from the decrease in the thickness of the wax film as it wears down.

I re-lube every 500 miles, but I never, ever hear squeaking from dryness in between lube times.
Noise is not necessarily correlated to friction if we are comparing dissimilar materials (wax vs. lube).

Furthermore, if you get caught in the rain or ride on wet roads, it's re-wax time.
Yes, I agree that waxing is not suitable for frequent riding in a climate like Seattle's.

A lengthy waste of time process with no advantage in the real world.
Again, have you tried waxing? I dare say that most waxers have tried lube, but I doubt that the converse is true.
Old 12-17-22, 04:43 PM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
Originally Posted by SoSmellyAir

Waxing does not take more time than applying wet lube roller by roller.
It most certainly does take more time. You have to count the time spent melting the wax. And then the time the chain spends in the wax. Then taking it out and letting it harden and wiping it off. I'm not saying it's not fine for some people but do not blatantly lie about how much time it takes. I can wipe off, lube, and wipe off again with 'normal' chain lube in less than 30 seconds. I don't care what process you use, there is no way in hell you're getting it done in less than 30 seconds with wax. No. Way.
Likes For cxwrench:
Old 12-17-22, 05:44 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Originally Posted by cxwrench
It most certainly does take more time. You have to count the time spent melting the wax. And then the time the chain spends in the wax. Then taking it out and letting it harden and wiping it off. I'm not saying it's not fine for some people but do not blatantly lie about how much time it takes.
I am not trying to mislead anyone; I should have been more clear. The actual duration is of course (as you point out) longer than drip lube. But during the time it takes the wax to melt and to get into the chain, one can go do something else.

I can wipe off, lube, and wipe off again with 'normal' chain lube in less than 30 seconds. I don't care what process you use, there is no way in hell you're getting it done in less than 30 seconds with wax. No. Way.
Of course, you are a professional mechanic. For me, to drip one or two drops on every roller, wipe and repeat, takes 15 or 20 minutes. And still people on BF says my chain does not look clean.
Old 12-17-22, 06:00 PM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Originally Posted by TMonk
It's cleanliness. You mentioned it earlier in your post. Also, some riders here are going pretty hard on the solvent cleanings and ultrasonic baths, but non of that is really necessary IME to enjoy the benefits of wax. It can be done lightly.
I don't do solvent cleanings nor ultrasonic baths. As I stated twice before in this thread, my chain goes on my bike when new and doesn't come off the bike until it's time to replace it.

Of course, you are a professional mechanic. For me, to drip one or two drops on every roller, wipe and repeat, takes 15 or 20 minutes. And still people on BF says my chain does not look clean.
15-20 minutes? You're kidding, right? No, I'm not a pro mechanic that can do this in 30 seconds, but the whole process takes me 5 minutes at most, usually less. One drop on each roller and wipe, done. No need to repeat.
Likes For Lombard:
Old 12-17-22, 06:17 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

15-20 minutes? You're kidding, right? No, I'm not a pro mechanic that can do this in 30 seconds, but the whole process takes me 5 minutes at most, usually less. One drop on each roller and wipe, done. No need to repeat.
No, I am not kidding.

On the first cycle, I use two drops per roller (so that it serves as a bit of a rinse); on the next two cycles, one drop per roller. I was misled (maybe by someone here on BF?) that one can flush and wipe the chain with lube so well that the chain no longer leaves any mark on the rag (other than fresh lube) after a few cycles. I never achieved this and generally gave up after three cycles. Despite doing multiple cycles every few rides (totaling maybe 150 to 200 miles), wiping the chain even after a single ride of modest distance (between 25 and 35 miles) after a fresh lube application left a black line on the rag, darker than used motor oil. That was why I tried waxing in the first place.
Old 12-17-22, 06:21 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3942 Post(s)
Liked 7,284 Times in 2,941 Posts
Seriously? You don't have to be a pro mechanic to lube a chain in a fraction of that time.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 12-17-22, 06:37 PM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1136 Post(s)
Liked 1,179 Times in 686 Posts
**** ***** *********** ****** wax *** ******* ****** ****** ***** **** ******** **** chain ***** ** **** ****** ****** ***** ******* drip **** ***** *********** ****** *** ******* ****** wax ****** ***** **** ******** **** ***** ** **** ****** ****** ***** ******* **** ***** *********** wax ****** *** ******* ****** ****** ***** **** ************ ***** *********** ****** *** ******* ****** ****** ***** wax **** ******** **** ***** ** **** ****** ****** ***** *******

what's this thread about?
Likes For spelger:
Old 12-17-22, 06:42 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Originally Posted by tomato coupe
Seriously? You don't have to be a pro mechanic to lube a chain in a fraction of that time.
I was trying to lube and clean the chain.
Old 12-17-22, 06:45 PM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
Originally Posted by spelger
**** ***** *********** ****** wax *** ******* ****** ****** ***** **** ******** **** chain ***** ** **** ****** ****** ***** ******* drip **** ***** *********** ****** *** ******* ****** wax ****** ***** **** ******** **** ***** ** **** ****** ****** ***** ******* **** ***** *********** wax ****** *** ******* ****** ****** ***** **** ************ ***** *********** ****** *** ******* ****** ****** ***** wax **** ******** **** ***** ** **** ****** ****** ***** *******

what's this thread about?
I think it's about candlelight vs oil burning lamps.
Likes For seypat:
Old 12-17-22, 07:30 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
Head spinning. We should all get out more. This is a trivial issue no matter how great a difference anyone thinks it is in terms of effectiveness or simplicity. Choose your lube, ride your bike. Argue less about trivial matters on the internet.

Poll: Who has been persuaded that immersive waxing is "easier" and "better" than any other method of lubrication? Not me. I use a drip wax, clean the chain by wiping and maybe (maybe) OMS soaks once a year or so, and both chains and cassettes last longer than I care about. Others have different usage needing to clean more thoroughly, lube differently and their chains and cassettes probably last somewhat longer than I care about as well.

Last edited by Camilo; 12-17-22 at 07:42 PM.
Likes For Camilo:
Old 12-17-22, 07:32 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
I am not trying to mislead anyone; I should have been more clear. The actual duration is of course (as you point out) longer than drip lube. But during the time it takes the wax to melt and to get into the chain, one can go do something else.

Maybe you're dong the ShelBroCo method?
The ShelBroCo Bicycle Chain Cleaning System (sheldonbrown.com)

Last edited by Camilo; 12-17-22 at 07:42 PM.
Old 12-17-22, 07:48 PM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Originally Posted by Camilo
This has to be a joke. The cheapest kit costs more than 2 brand new chains.

Not to mention I don't think even the hot wax cult members are going to disassemble their chains like that.

Last edited by Lombard; 12-17-22 at 07:51 PM.
Old 12-17-22, 11:07 PM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts

There's the issue...you're massively OCD. It's a bike chain. It's a wear component. It's meant to be ridden. Put some lube on it, wipe it off, and ride your bike. Jesus, it's just not that important. It literally takes me less than 10 seconds to back pedal the crank while dripping lube on the chain. Another 5-10 seconds of pedaling to spread the lube, then 5 more seconds to wipe off the excess. Any more time than that and you're seriously overthinking the whole deal.
Old 12-18-22, 06:57 AM
phrantic09
Fat n slow

Bikes: Cervelo R3, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3255 Post(s)
Liked 2,081 Times in 978 Posts
Question for the waxers here who use SRAM flat top- do you re-use the power-link or do you use another type of QL?
Old 12-18-22, 06:59 AM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

There's the issue...you're massively OCD. It's a bike chain. It's a wear component. It's meant to be ridden. Put some lube on it, wipe it off, and ride your bike.
^^^This.^^^ But this is a bike forum. Chain lubing is religion on bike forums. You should see the debates on different oils, oil change intervals and methods on some of the car forums I belong to.

Last edited by Lombard; 12-18-22 at 07:40 AM.
Old 12-18-22, 08:01 AM
DaveSSS 

Bikes: Cinelli superstar disc, two Yoeleo R12

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1097 Post(s)
Liked 559 Times in 446 Posts
Originally Posted by phrantic09
Question for the waxers here who use SRAM flat top- do you re-use the power-link or do you use another type of QL?
I reuse the link up to 5, maybe 6 times. I have a link that I use for setup only that's been used at least a dozen times. IRD makes a 5 time reusable link. KMC has one that they say is not reusable. I have two, but haven't used one yet. I suspect it will work many times. Just don't use a link beyond one chain's life. I take chains off about every 600 miles for cleaning, but I also have 10 chains being used in a rotation, so a new link for each of two bikes every year is a good idea.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.