Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Trek 7.5 FX with new parts and new weight. I was shocked.

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-12, 04:06 PM
tkm

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 19 Posts

Back story...the LBS had an '11 7.5FX on clearance. I had been wanting a bike to ride with the family as I was getting tired of swaping wheels on my MTN bike and my road bike was a bit overkill.

So, I picked up the 7.5. I had a basketful of parts from upgrading my other bikes, so I threw them on the 7.5 (handlebars, stem, wheels, crank, tires, seatpost, saddle...pretty much the only thing I did not touch were the front/rear derailleur, brakes and shifters).

I took it back to the LBS to get a few items tuned up and the guy threw it on the scale...18.5 lbs (without pedals)! I was pretty shocked. I'd imagine without too much work I could get the bike into the high 17lb range. I'm probably not going to, but for a bunch of "left-over" parts, I was pretty happy.

I'd imagine that the wheelset was the largest weight savings point. The stock SSR wheels are pretty hefty. I replaced them with a set of Bontrager Race X Lite (paired spoke) that I had and wasn't riding. I did have to convert the rear from 130mm to 135mm, but being that they were DT Swiss hubs, that was a simple $20 hub part order.

The bike is fast and light and looks very cool with the new mix of parts on it. I knew I was keeping those parts around for something

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
trek75.jpg (53.0 KB, 645 views)
Old 01-16-12, 04:12 PM
AlphaDogg
I let the dogs out

Bikes: 2011 Fuji Roubaix 1.0, 2003 Ti Merlin Solis, & 1994 Raleigh MT200

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
That bike is hawt. Those wheels really help the looks. But be careful, because I have heard tons of bad things about paired spoke wheels cracking at the rim.

May I ask how much the bike on clearance cost you?
Old 01-16-12, 04:34 PM
tkm

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 19 Posts
The RXL wheels are still fine, but I'm not riding them on 700x23's for that reason. With 700x28's and lower pressures, I'm not worried about anything cracking. The wheels are light as heck though.

I think the out-the-door price was around $790 (tax, discounts, etc). I bought a few other things so I can't exactly remember, but it would have been under $800. I actually went in looking at a 29er wheelset so I could fit some more "hybrid" tires on my mtn bike, but the wheelset I was looking at was $800 by themselves, so I figured I'd just buy another bike instead.
Old 01-16-12, 06:52 PM
Dunbar

Bikes: Roubaix SL4 Expert , Cervelo S2

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Nice, I just bought the exact same bike off CL last weekend ('11 7.5FX same color.) I got the weight weenie stuff out of my system with my road bike. I wish I could throw my custom $400 <1600g road bike wheels on the 7.5FX but I'm not willing to spend any money doing it. I think the stock SSR's weigh 2100g and the stock tires 510g each. You could probably shave 2.5lbs with just wheels and tires alone.
Old 12-16-22, 12:26 PM
morsetaper2

Bikes: 2000 Cervelo Prodigy, 2004 Kona Unit SS, 2005 Santa Cruz Blur, 2012 Trek 7.5FX, 1992 Trek 750

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Necro thread, brought back to life...

Bought a 2012 7.5FX last year and have been adjusting stems and bars to get the fit right. I have ended up riding this more than my road bike or MTB's (Cervelo Prodigy, Kona Unit SS, Santa Cruz Blur) over the last year. I have access to a very good selection of paved trails right out the front door of my house so it's easy to jump on this FX and go w/o having to drive to a trailhead, etc. And have gotten this bike setup so that it fits well, it's fast and comfortable. A bike I always enjoy and it's "just right".

I noticed the BB getting crunchy when doing some maintenance and once removed I weighed it at 277 gram. So I put in and old Race Face Ti spindle BB I had laying around from my old Santa Cruz Superlight. Was about 100 grams less. So got to thinking... how could I drop some more weight out w/o spending a bunch of $$. It's got a mid-grade SRAM cassette that weighs 382 gram. I have an old XT cassette that weighs about 230 grams. Swapped that out.

Those two swaps from my parts stash dropped 190 grams (about .4 Lb) off the bike. On my bathroom scale, the bike weighs 21 Lb (with Time ATAC pedals).

A carbon seatpost might drop a little bit more off. And an ebay XT deraileur might shave some grams off as well. Am going to keep an eye out for some used lightweight wheels. That will be the biggest bang, as well as most costly. I'll have to watch CL for a used LW wheelset.

Perhaps w/ carbon seatpost, lighter derailleur & wheels, I can drop another 1/2 Lb+ off? I really like this bike, so I'm willing to put some $$ into it.

Last edited by morsetaper2; 12-16-22 at 02:09 PM.
Old 01-04-23, 10:25 AM
TheRailMan

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
How much are those wheels? I would love to get those and some slightly nubbier tires on mine.
Old 01-04-23, 12:23 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4350 Post(s)
Liked 3,989 Times in 2,663 Posts
Originally Posted by TheRailMan
How much are those wheels? I would love to get those and some slightly nubbier tires on mine.
Keep in mind they are wheels purchased in or before 2012 as the thread dating would suggest so any useful info is gone and potentially the original posters. You might find a set used somewhere but if you are looking for paired spokes I would have just asked in your other thread. Rolf Prima is the one doing it these days: https://rolfprima.com (though not super lightweight necessarily)
Likes For veganbikes: