Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Tandem Cycling
Reload this Page >

Tandem for structured workouts?

Notices
Tandem Cycling A bicycle built for two. Want to find out more about this wonderful world of tandems? Check out this forum to talk with other tandem enthusiasts. Captains and stokers welcome!

Old 01-03-23, 06:22 PM
tomljones3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

My wife and I tandem newbies. We have a used Trek that we ride occasionally, but it doesn't really fit me very well. We are also competitive triathletes. We are looking for ways to spend more time together on workouts and I was wondering if there was a way to do it on a tandem?

Here is my idea, we have interval workouts twice a week. They are quite taxing and trying to perform the intervals and cooperate on a traditional tandem sounds like misery. The workouts are identical, but obviously our power output is very different.
  • If we got a da Vinci tandem with the integrated coasting, would it make workouts feasible?
  • Is anyone else out there doing structured workouts on the tandem?
Old 01-03-23, 06:36 PM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1441 Post(s)
Liked 710 Times in 364 Posts
We do. IMHO, the key is power meter pedals for both of you. That allows you to both hit your zones for the intervals.

I think the Davinci system is the exact opposite of what you’re looking for. It allows independent coasting; it doesn’t allow you to both produce power at difference cadences.

for example if the captain’s cadence is higher than the stoker’s, the stoker is basically freewheeling.

ICs tends to work well with a team of mixed abilities and ambitions; it’s an unnecessary and counterproductive complication for your application.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Old 01-03-23, 06:44 PM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1441 Post(s)
Liked 710 Times in 364 Posts
We’ve trained on the tandem for a number of events with some success ( two time s Florida State time trial champions, podium finish at Masters Nationals.)

even when my goals were more individual, doing road racing, gravel races and crits, most of my training was often done on a tandem.

As long as you two can reach an acceptable agreed cadence, and both are willing to work for the same length of time, it doesn’t matter if one is stronger than the other. If you both put out the effort levels proscribed for the interval, even if your power outputs are different, you’ll be fine.

And again power meters will be very helpful for both of you to hit your prescribed zones
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Old 01-04-23, 07:17 AM
dmwill

Bikes: 1989 Dahon Stainless Steel Classic, 1993 Burley Samba Mixte tandem, 2002 Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo, 2003 Co-Motion Speedster tandem, 2021 Trek Verve 3, 2021 Priority Current

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 20 Posts
We are by no means training for anything, but for touring and just riding around have found shortening her cranks have made it much easier for us to contribute evenly. When we both had 175mm, she would freewheel and maybe bounce at >80RPM. Her comfortable and productive cadence was about 65. Now that she has 155mm cranks we produce equally (measured by HR zones) at 75-80RPM. If she needs a break we can just spin up a little faster and I carry more. If I need a break we go back down to 65-70 and she carries more. Those cranks were certainly worth it.
Old 01-04-23, 03:43 PM
TobyGadd

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 15 Posts
Equal effort and/or power aren't necessary on a tandem, as long as you can settle on a compatible cadence. So, yes, interval training on a tandem is possible. The only time I see it being difficult is if the interval durations are different for each rider, and if coasting between intervals is necessary. But why coast? Just soft-pedal until recovered, and then repeat--you don't really need to have the same interval duration or spacing.

Last edited by TobyGadd; 01-04-23 at 06:49 PM.
Old 01-04-23, 05:59 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3884 Post(s)
Liked 1,936 Times in 1,382 Posts
Totally agree with the power pedals thing. We use HR instead, but really wish we had the power pedals. We just don't want to invest that much money in it. We train on our tandem all the time. When we're riding, we're training, except when we're doing an event or touring, which is what the training was for. Whether power pedals or using HR, stoker sees both pedal sets or HRs, captain only needs to see his. Then the stoker always knows what to do, how hard to work, depending on the crazy captain and the terrain. We rode RAMROD on our tandem at 66 and 69, did the one-day STP a couple times.

You absolutely have to do the intervals together! Sure wouldn't be fun without that cooperation. Actually, we seldom do formal intervals on the tandem. It's the only bike we ride outside and we live in a hilly part of the country, so we do our intervals by hammering the hills - and sometimes on the flat too, depending on mood. We do formal intervals and long Z2 periods on our trainer and rollers indoors. That's mostly when it's raining or snowing. It's a lot more fun to go out on the tandem and slaughter ourselves and each other.

My stoker has 151mm cranks. Appropriately sized cranks are definitely a good idea.