Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Scott Aspect 940 - internal dropper?

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-23, 10:54 PM
fujitasummers

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

hi there
I recently got a Scott Aspect 940 (probably a 2021?) and bought an internal dropper for it. Took it to get fitted and the tech said that the cable cannot pass cleanly through the BB (I have a pic of the cable in the BB after the tech removed pedals when he tried to fit the post, but... less than 10 posts here I can't post the pic). We discussed drilling the frame and I decided against that. So I put the dropper on Marketplace, shipped another external one, which was fitted yesterday. I now see an Aspect for sale (looks like same year) with an internal dropper - it has no drilled cable exit that I can see - looks like a legit internal routing..
No aspect comes with a dropper as standard and Scott's website doesn't list compatibility possibilities in the frame specs.
Q: Was the tech wrong? was there some other part required for internal routing - like thinner spindle or something? Not a technical guy here...
The issue here is living in the UAE I have to ship these parts in (spay shipping plus taxes) and returns are nigh on impossible - so this has been an expensive exercise, possibly unnecessarily... plus I now have a dropper with an ugly a$$ cable outside the frame...

Many thanks!
B
Old 01-06-23, 11:40 AM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4342 Post(s)
Liked 3,978 Times in 2,659 Posts
It may have been possible to do an internal routed one but an external one tracks for the bike. It is a base level bike with lower end parts. I wouldn't worry about it either way just ride it and when you decide hey I enjoy this and know what I want get a bike that is set up for your riding. You should be able to get an internally routed or electronic dropper post at that point.

In terms of posting pictures all you need to do is get active in the many active threads in the forum and make 10 posts which you are close to anyway but if you get involved that will be beyond easy and you will forget about that quickly as you will be enjoying yourself.

In terms of UAE there has got to be a distributor somewhere nearby with all the money and even a sponsored team I can't imagine it is all unavailable. Maybe so but I bet looking around or asking local shops could get you sorted for some parts.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 01-07-23, 06:30 AM
dsaul

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 713 Post(s)
Liked 796 Times in 473 Posts
You probably could have removed the center sleeve section of the bottom bracket for more clearance inside the bottom bracket.
Likes For dsaul:
Old 01-14-23, 02:35 AM
fujitasummers

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Just to close this off... I went to the Scott dealer here who happen to have the best techs. There they said as dsaul says above you take the sleeve off - they key thing is to have the measurement of the cable absolutely spot on.
So now I get to take the external dropper off, sell that and put the original internal dropper on like I wanted.

Moral of story - get a second opinion and don't get a roadie bike tech to work on an MTB?
Likes For fujitasummers:
Old 11-19-23, 03:45 PM
Cogger

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Internal Dropper on Aspect 900 Series

Hello, I'm considering getting a Scott Aspect 910 or a Scott Scale 970 to get into mountain biking in my local woods. I would like an internally mounted dropper post. Scott's official line is that the Aspect can't have an internally mounted post, but the Scale can. I came across this thread and wondered whether you had any photos of the set up you have on your aspect 940?. According to my usual bike fitter the Aspect has almost perfect gemoetry for my measurements; however, I'd like the option of an internally-routed dropper post - probably a Brand-X one. I was also curious as to what size of post you got and with how much travel.
Old 11-19-23, 08:04 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4342 Post(s)
Liked 3,978 Times in 2,659 Posts
Cogger I would probably say the only reason to get the Aspect vs. Scale is if you for some reason wanted a lower end groupset and an overall lower end frame. The Aspect is sort of their budget mountain style bike whereas the Scale is a dedicated XC Hardtail. I would own a scale if I wanted another hardtail but I would rather get a Spark as I don't currently have a FS bike.

In terms of seatpost size that doesn't matter for you because you will need to get the right size for your bike and they may not always be the same across different models even from the same brand and especially across different years and travel will be determined by your personal fit which could be different from the OP.
Old 11-20-23, 12:38 PM
fujitasummers

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Cogger
Hello, I'm considering getting a Scott Aspect 910 or a Scott Scale 970 to get into mountain biking in my local woods. I would like an internally mounted dropper post. Scott's official line is that the Aspect can't have an internally mounted post, but the Scale can. I came across this thread and wondered whether you had any photos of the set up you have on your aspect 940?. According to my usual bike fitter the Aspect has almost perfect gemoetry for my measurements; however, I'd like the option of an internally-routed dropper post - probably a Brand-X one. I was also curious as to what size of post you got and with how much travel.
hey, I had a 150mm internal dropper on a large frame. Ended up just keeping the external one though: ran the cable inside the downtube, out at the bottom and then up the back of the seat post. looks ok, but has a couple of cable ties to hold cable in place, now I just got used to it. Worth doing though - its a fun bit of kit and adds an extra dimension to the bike.
Old 11-20-23, 03:28 PM
Cogger

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks for the advice. I'm only just getting into off-road riding in my 40s having only ever ridden road bikes (I currently ride a Cinelli Superstar Disc and a Whyte Wessex Di2). The guy who fits me for road bikes has said that the Aspect fits my slightly odd dimensions with minimal tweaking. I'm looking for something around the £800 mark that would be used for riding in the local woods (adjoining Epping Forest) with some local buddies and also with the kids as the get older. It might also be used on holidays and the occasional mixed road/off-road commute.
Old 11-20-23, 03:29 PM
Cogger

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I wondered if this might be possible - using the holes for the front mech cable (which aren't actually used on the Aspect 910 as it has a 1x driverain). Do you have any photos of the set up you could send me?
Old 12-01-23, 11:37 AM
travbikeman

Bikes: State 4130 Custom, Giant Trance 29

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 422 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 123 Posts
Originally Posted by Cogger
I wondered if this might be possible - using the holes for the front mech cable (which aren't actually used on the Aspect 910 as it has a 1x driverain). Do you have any photos of the set up you could send me?
You should be able to put the cable in the front mech hole on the frame. Since it would exit out on the bottom of the frame right before the bottom bracket. Just like fujitasummers did, by zip tying it up the seattube. Not really certain that you can run it through the bottom bracket area. When I replaced the bottom bracket, I did not see room to do such a thing. Although, I didn't buy this bike for riding that would require a dropper post.

Was a good bike though. Enjoyed tearing it apart and rebuilding a few years ago. Couldn't get a hold of the bike I wanted, a Trek Roscoe in 2021. My son had a Scale at the same time as I had the Aspect. The Scale was a lot more fun to whip around on, easier to get up to speed, corner and jump. The Aspect fit me better and felt it would have been a good bike for bike packing, since it was more comfortable and great for longer distance riding. My son didn't enjoy his Scale when we went for a 20 mile ride one day just because it wasn't as comfortable. But the shorter rides, the Scale was just so much more fun to ride up and down hills.

We both sold the hard tails over a year ago and went FS. Trails around where I'm at are just too rocky for hardtails. But will admit, am missing the hard tail and am eyeing up trails elsewhere that are not so rocky. Perhaps a Roscoe is in my future? Good sales going on, or good prices on slightly used bikes now.

My highly modified Aspect 950, which is not much different than the 940:

Old 12-01-23, 11:40 AM
Cogger

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks. After looking at the geo, I think I’m going to go with a Specialized Rockhopper.
Likes For Cogger: