Search
Notices
Adaptive Cycling: Handcycles, Amputee Adaptation, Visual Impairment, and Other Needs Have a need for adaptive equipment to ride to compensate for a disability or loss of limb or function? This area is for discussion among those of us in the cycling world that are coming back from traumatic circumstances and tell the world, "No, you are not going to beat me down!"

Asymmetrical handlebars

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-23, 08:23 PM
Klausw

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Asymmetrical handlebars

A bicycle wreck 6 months ago shattered my left elbow. Mistakes were made. My left is crooked and shorter than my right. I can reach the drop bars’ hoods, but I can’t hold the position for very long.

Can anyone recommend a different handlebar configuration other than drop bars or some other modification that I haven’t yet thought about? I’m picturing something asymmetrical. Thanks in advance.
Old 01-30-23, 04:05 PM
grumpus

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 476 Post(s)
Liked 425 Times in 325 Posts
Originally Posted by Klausw
A bicycle wreck 6 months ago shattered my left elbow. Mistakes were made. My left is crooked and shorter than my right. I can reach the drop bars’ hoods, but I can’t hold the position for very long.

Can anyone recommend a different handlebar configuration other than drop bars or some other modification that I haven’t yet thought about? I’m picturing something asymmetrical. Thanks in advance.
I'd look for some tri-bars (or just the one) that allowed me to stack the arm rest extra high: the closer to your elbow the arm rest is located, the less leverage on the bad joint. Rest the bad arm while maintaining normal position with the good arm, and retain original controls, possibly with an auxiliary brake lever for the bad side.
You might just get used to your arm, given time. I have a shortened twisted leg that was weak and weird when I started riding again.
Old 01-30-23, 08:24 PM
Klausw

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by grumpus
I'd look for some tri-bars (or just the one) that allowed me to stack the arm rest extra high: the closer to your elbow the arm rest is located, the less leverage on the bad joint. Rest the bad arm while maintaining normal position with the good arm, and retain original controls, possibly with an auxiliary brake lever for the bad side.
You might just get used to your arm, given time. I have a shortened twisted leg that was weak and weird when I started riding again.
Thanks! I’ll give that a try.
Old 01-30-23, 08:45 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4791 Post(s)
Liked 3,918 Times in 2,548 Posts
Can you find two different handlebars that would work on the same stem? Like a drop bar for your good side with a deep reach and a much shallower bar that would work for your rebuilt arm? If you could, I bet each be cut in half and a sleeve of steel tubing inserted. Then drill and tap each side for screws to prevent twist.

Caution - this is an idea I just had. Needs engineering.
Old 01-31-23, 05:56 AM
grumpus

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 476 Post(s)
Liked 425 Times in 325 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
Can you find two different handlebars that would work on the same stem? Like a drop bar for your good side with a deep reach and a much shallower bar that would work for your rebuilt arm? If you could, I bet each be cut in half and a sleeve of steel tubing inserted. Then drill and tap each side for screws to prevent twist.
No need to cut and shut - the late great Sheldon Brown had a multi-bar setup. You could do similar with two a'head stems on a long steerer.
If I were to combine two bars into one (or one and a half) I'd be using clamps to hold them together rather than sleeves and screws - like those handlebar extenders you can get but meatier.
Old 03-22-23, 03:15 PM
Klausw

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
interesting idea! Thanks

I’m trying riser drop bars on an adjustable stem now.

Originally Posted by 79pmooney